What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Chigoziem Okonkwo, TEN (1 Viewer)

Caught one where needled was threaded, couldn't win jump ball against McCreary or Byard. One drop.

Now injured, tried to stretch leg then went off field. Probably not serious

Vrabel said he expects Chig back next week but he had already said he was focused on the game and injured players of the game and didn't really have an update on players that missed the game

Bruised hip or hip contusion reported today, a week later.
That is something guys play through so...at least we know what his injury is

How do you like this guy this year?
I sent a few emails this morning and haven't heard back yet.
Much text has been negative but the reporters vibes are positive so I want better context.
I'm getting that he didn't do well in camp last year and that the Titans D is stout.

I'm less than positive and had very high hopes.

Much text has been negative but the reporters vibes are positive so I want better context.
I'm getting that he didn't do well in camp last year and that the Titans D is stout.

Is the negativity more about your views on Chig as a player, or more about his role/situation for fantasy this year?....or both?

Is the negativity more about your views on Chig as a player, or more about his role/situation for fantasy this year?....or both?
I've got a lot of posts here and in the Titans receivers thread.
He was dynamic and fast and more WR like coming into the offseason. He needed to essentially develop into a Delanie Walker because TE reasons and because the line stinks and if he can't block inline his playing time will suffer AND because if he's not blocking well inline then they may choose Phillips over him in the slot. If he learns to box out or post up or whatever basketball term, that's good for like 20 catches as Tannehill's panic option.
A lot of reasons that he needed to develop a traditional way.
He did not.
He was regularly beaten at the LOS and interceptions thrown his way as he boxed out and then he added drops to it probably due to frustration. I'd bet he has a dozen drops in camp.
He's still an elite athlete and still going to win many one on ones but I think it impacts his playing time greatly.
The Titans RT is suspended six games and they still haven't been sold on his replacement.
Phillips is out but when he returns I bet it impacts Chig's time.

Last year he played FB. Sometimes sincere sometimes a quick shift to where you'd expect him. He didn't really this summer and they cut the guys that did play FB so he does have that going for him.

He worked with the OL some days. Delanie was there. They had a TE coach spend the whole day with him a few times. It just needs to all click and then skys the limit for this kid. It hasn't yet though

He appears to be playing a larger percentage of downs if preseason is any indication.
Huh?
First string barely played
there are guys that track first unit snaps in scrimmages and such

I'll try to find the Tweet

The general consensus on podcasts and on Twitter has been that his role is expanding. Maybe it's hype and maybe it isn't.

Last edited:
He appears to be playing a larger percentage of downs if preseason is any indication.
Huh?
First string barely played
there are guys that track first unit snaps in scrimmages and such

I'll try to find the Tweet

The general consensus on podcasts and on Twitter has been that his role is expanding. Maybe it's hype and maybe it isn't.
He was in on all 11 personnel with starters one preseason game. So that's a good sign.

Well. There isn't anyone ahead of him is there? I'm usually better than this but I honestly can't even name another TE on the roster.

Just in case anyone isn't aware of it, @Bri is the Anarchy99/David Yudkin of the Titans thread.

What he reports is generally considered gospel here in the Pool. His sources are vetted and solid. Accuracy proven out over a large sample size of Seasons.

If he says Chigo is having issues, it's a good idea to at least explore what he reports through one's own trusted sources, as part of one's own analysis.

Just an FYI.

Well. There isn't anyone ahead of him is there? I'm usually better than this but I honestly can't even name another TE on the roster.
Nope
Wesco is the blocking TE and Whyle is another story.
Whyle is a former HS WR that somehow still plays that way...hard to describe but you'll see it no doubt. They wanted Whyle when they were scouting Ridder and met him over three years before drafting him.
He is backup-ish and maybe a threat in the future.
He blocked well and caught everything then when he goes against ones he struggles. Dominant against backups, bad against starters with drops and whiffing on blocks. So he's got some development to happen then maybe he could challenge.
Chig is the elite athlete that will be given every chance, Whyle is not, so ...always edge to Chig.

They should have at least a fourth TE on the roster if they plan to play 2 and 3 TE sometimes then four or five is traditionally rostered. The three they have now is odd.

Odukoya cut shocked me and as I said in the other thread I expect him back. He's a heck of a blocker. Wesco is good too. The quality of the RT is going to determine Chig's FF value

I got him 7.16 (#112th) in a 16 team Standard league w/ Double Flex (WR/TE and WR/RB/TE) as my only TE. He's definitely one of the most popular "sleeper" TEs due to him being a physical specimen who runs a 4.38 40 time, and last year was third in receiving grade and first in yards per route run among tight ends last season according to Pro Football Focus. He was one of the most efficient TEs in the game because he was hardly on the field that much; he only played 37 percent of TE snaps and now with Austin Hooper gone should greatly increase his snap share. The issue now is that DeAndre Hopkins/Treylon Burks exist and this is still a Derrick Henry-led run-first offense. I can see him being very volatile unless he locks in a "preferred end zone target" role a lot of TEs have.

HOWEVER, if he has the same off-TE package of plays he had last year (used out wide and as a RB)... ooo boy now we start getting into interesting territory.

Last edited:
ProFootball Focus: Fantasy Football: Top 10 sleepers

Chigoziem Okonkwo, Tennessee Titans (ADP: 160.9)

• The fourth-round rookie was one of the few bright spots for the Tennessee Titans last season.
  • Okonkwo started his career third in the Titans' tight end rotation. He averaged 12 snaps a game over his first month, with nearly 40% of his snaps coming in three tight end sets.
  • He caught three passes for 38 yards and a touchdown in that fourth game, leading to an increased role over the rest of the season.
  • Okonkwo spent the rest of the season as the primary tight end in 21 personnel, as well as one of the primary tight ends in 12 personnel.
  • He remained third on the depth chart in 11 personnel, including just 16.8% of possible snaps on third downs in 11 personnel from Week 6 on.
  • He was the most efficient tight end on a per-play basis.
  • Out of 55 tight ends with at least 150 routes, he ranked second in targets per route (0.26), first in receptions per route (0.19), first in yards per route (2.61), fifth in touchdowns per route (0.017) and fourth in avoided tackles per catch (0.219)
  • Austin Hooper and Geoff Swaim were the two players ahead of him on the depth chart at times, and neither one is on the roster.
  • Tennessee added run blocker Trevon Wesco, who will not be a threat to Okonkwo on passing downs.
  • The big concern for Okonkwo is if the Titans don’t expand his role in a significant way. Austin Hooper, Anthony Firkser and Jonnu Smith have all been sleeper tight ends in recent seasons, and none have worked out for fantasy managers.
  • Tennessee has had a different tight end lead the team in snaps on first and second downs compared to third down in each of the last four seasons.
  • The Titans drafted Josh Whyle in the fifth round, and he is likely to be more of a receiver than a blocker.
  • Okonkwo has graded better as a receiver than any Titan tight end in the Mike Vrabel era, so ideally, he can be an exception.
  • This also isn’t a black-and-white issue. He can see a slight increase in snaps and be a fantasy starter, but ideally, he becomes an every-down player, in which he has top-five potential.
  • The Titans used Okonkwo in one preseason game, in which he played 100% of snaps in 11 personnel with the starters after playing less than 20% last season, which is a good sign for his expanded role.
  • They still rotated him in and out of 12 personnel so this still isn’t the most ideal situation, but it looks like a big step in the right direction.

Watching the game and it's going to be interesting to see how much work he gets overall in 11 personnel. He's definitely lined up wide a few times... of course he's got to get balls thrown to him.

Maybe he eats some crow and gets after it.
What's he need for a message? Whyle to play more?
He just needs that turning point moment

Chigoziem Okonkwo was held without a catch in a Week 1 loss to the Saints.

Okonkwo saw two targets on the day and was simply not a factor in the game. He was asked to block a decent amount to help an overmatched offensive line, but Tannehill often locked onto DeAndre Hopkins even when Okonkwo was out on routes. The young tight end was a popular sleeper in fantasy leagues with Austin Hooper no longer in town, but it looks like you can move on to another potential sleeper unless you’re in a deep format.

- Rotoworld

His snap percentage was higher than ever.
He's still an elite talent. Notice many FF sites say he could be a top five TE. Someone said earlier like Jermichael Finley and that's accurate today.
I just think the light needs to go on. I would be patient and not drop him.

The right tackle position that he has to help out at- it definitely still has issues too but...don't be too quick here.

I guarantee there isn't a top five potential tight end on the WW

He was in there to run routes (58%), and wasn't far behind the leaders in total routes run: Game 1 Titans Snap Counts

He ran 30, the other two TE's combined ran 6 and got zero targets.

Optimistic. More concerned about Tannehill's delivery than Chig's usage tbh.

PFF: NFL Week 1 Fantasy Football Game Recap: New Orleans Saints vs. Tennessee Titans

• Okonkowo played 95.6% of offensive snaps in 12 and 21 personnel. He was seeing the majority of those snaps by the end of last season, but never to that extreme.
  • He played a clear majority of snaps in 11 personnel, with 75% of those snaps. The only times he was off the field in that personnel group was some early down and distances where Trevon Wesco was in instead, typically for run blocking purposes rather than for passing plays.
  • The Saints were the best team at preventing fantasy points to tight ends last season, so it’s understandable that Okonkwo had an underwhelming game despite the playing time.
  • Okonkwo was wide open on one deep pass but the throw wasn’t catchable.
  • If Okonkwo can match his 2022 efficiency with his usage in this game, he can be a top-five fantasy tight end.

Last edited:
Chig was technically supplanted by Josh Whyle just before the bye. (More snaps)
He has returned from the bye far far better.

He reminded me oh so much of Justin Hunter. Even when he used that athleticism and ran a great route, he dropped it. It was obvious he's trying so hard but maybe too hard and crossed some line that made him lose focus.

He's had several catches including at least one very difficult one and he's even nailing his blocks now. Night n day difference.

Kudos to him, I hope he keeps it up

He was dropped in one of my dynasty leagues.
I need to try and trade for him.
Whyle looks good.
Tim Kelly needs to go.
I do very much see an identical thing happening to Vrabel like Munchak and Mularkey where they refuse to fire their OC so they get canned. It's possible there's a new OC.

I dropped Chig in dynasty too. There's never been a Texans TE that was all that good in FF and certainly not worthy of a share. As long as Kelly is running the Texans offense (that got him fired) there's too much data to support that the TE won't be good for FF.

Phillips barely played last game. Burks has been a bust partially due to injury and Phillips still only got ten snaps. Ya know who he's been going with? Former Texan Chris Moore and his one catch per game average.

So if we assume he gets fired we also probably assume they add another WR and don't put all their eggs in Burks' basket again. That's not encouraging me to expect more targets for a TE share.

I was very much nope, nope, I love the Titans, but nope.

As I've been saying elsewhere, I don't think things look good for him unless he can show up and be a very effective blocker. Third year, he is due to do that and it wouldn't be uncommon, but he hasn't this far.
The Titans should have an issue at RT that invites a TE to help block. If he isn't the choice then I don't see him playing enough to be FF worthy. Maybe a DFS dart.
They're gonna live in 3WR sets and regrettably have to pull Boyd and put a TE in. It's very different from the 2 and 3 TE sets the Titans offense has been for the last decade.
They really liked Whyle last year and scouted him for three years before drafting him. Guy had like six catches which is garbage but they were all pretty big throws at key moments til he got hurt.
I want to see if he still looks like a WR converted to TE or if he put weight on.

While Chig is a bad blocker and needs technique help, Whyle is a willing blocker with good technique that simply gets pushed aside. He's definitely something of a threat to Chig and got plenty of first team reps last summer.

Vannett is being sold as the blocking TE because of their need and that's it. His PFF blocking grades are 40-50 and not impressive at all.

Chig has been a matchup prob in the slot every camp but he only flashed a few times in the regular season. It didn't translate until late last year. They got to do some shifts TE to slot vice versa and he got involved late and did well. I could definitely see room for optimism there but then there's the Boyd addition and his familiarity with the staff/offense.

Chig has to take a big step in year three or he's going to be typecast as just another TE despite his athleticism

Users who are viewing this thread