What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TB Mike Williams (1 Viewer)

scrumptrulescent

Footballguy
I was perusing the Rotoworld rankings and they touched on Tampa Mike a couple times. Apparently Gregg Rosenthal is claiming he's not getting seperation. Any truth to this Tampa homers? I haven't seen anything other than highlights of Tampa so far this year.

Gregg noted after Week 1 that Freeman didn’t have enough weapons, and that remained an issue against the Vikings. Mike Williams hasn’t been separating from coverage going back to preseason action
As mentioned earlier, Mike Williams isn’t gaining separation from coverage this season. Until he does, the Bucs offense will continue to struggle.
Anything to see here or Rotoworld jumping to conclusions?

Last edited by a moderator:
He hasn't been. Rotoworld is pretty spot on with this assessment, but the game against the Lions was awful, and Minnesota has done a nice job so far against Mike and Vincent Jackson.

He has to learn to consistently beat double teams between the 20s. Until he can we'll probably see a lot of 4 catch, 60 yard, 1 TD outings from him. Defenses now know he's the #1 option in the passing game and they're game planning accordingly.

I read that the Bucs were planning on moving him around quite a bit, and that Mike has learned all of the WR positions, so maybe these first two games are a fluke.

Freeman also loves him in the red zone so I doubt the TD production changes much (MW just missed a nice TD grab against the Vikes when Benn committed a penalty), but until he learns how to fight off the doubles he won't get into the elite WR1 tier.

It would also help to get the running game going. Tampa's pass offense is much more effective off of play action.

Ummmm, they are double covering him.http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/bucs-mike-williams-drawing-extra-attention-defenses
Yep. I think roto has confused "getting separation" with "getting open." He's getting separation, but there is always a safety over the top. Freeman isn't forcing it. He had plenty of separation on that TD that was erased by an illegal shift penalty. Until the Bucs show the ability to get others involved, he will be double covered nearly every play. We may have to sit him until the running game gets rolling a little better.

I was high on both Mike and Freeman going into the season, but now I'm getting a Han Solo vibe from Tampa. "I've got a bad feeling about this."

The Bucs are looking at ways to keep defenses guessing with Williams. Among the options are putting him in motion and lining him up in different spots at different times. Also, according to offensive coordinator Greg Olson, the plan is keep Williams and tight end Kellen Winslow on opposite sides of the field, forcing the defense to make choices. On the would-be touchdown, for example, the Vikings opted to double cover Winslow, according to coach Raheem Morris.
This.

I was high on both Mike and Freeman going into the season, but now I'm getting a Han Solo vibe from Tampa. "I've got a bad feeling about this."
He has a TD, and had one last week called back on a cheap offensive illegal shift penalty...he will be ok, its only week 2.

There is some truth to the notion that in his second year, DC's are game planning and bracketing him more. He's not surprising anyone anymore, and is getting the WR #1 treatment. But what I have heard is that the short offseason he's become complacent and not working as hard as he once did. Freeman does look his way often, but he needs to fight off the line better to get that separation. The game plan is to try to run more L Blount and spread the ball around to Parker, Benn, Winslow, and Briscoe. The group is collectively making other teams pay and the thought is once again Williams will get his looks. As mentioned above, he had a TD called back last week, and the talent is there. No need for worry. He's just going to have to step up his game with all the extra attention.

There is some truth to the notion that in his second year, DC's are game planning and bracketing him more. He's not surprising anyone anymore, and is getting the WR #1 treatment. But what I have heard is that the short offseason he's become complacent and not working as hard as he once did. Freeman does look his way often, but he needs to fight off the line better to get that separation. The game plan is to try to run more L Blount and spread the ball around to Parker, Benn, Winslow, and Briscoe. The group is collectively making other teams pay and the thought is once again Williams will get his looks. As mentioned above, he had a TD called back last week, and the talent is there. No need for worry. He's just going to have to step up his game with all the extra attention.
Anyone else? I'll just drop Williams then...LOL So DC's are game planning for him more than they did last year when he had 11 TD's...I think they game planned just as much last year but the offense was clicking a little better. Give it some time, it's week 3.

Seems to me his first game was not all that bad.

Week 1 Vincent Jackson was held by MIN to 2/31.

Something to think about matchups this year - obviously they are not the same as last year. Maybe people need to start thinking about Min as a possible down matchup for WR's. Not sure if that continues but so far it's 2 for 2 by the looks of it.

Williams had a solid rookie season. He is extremely good in the redzone, as shown by his 11 TDs last season and one (plus another called back) already this season. Williams is not an 85 catch, 1,300 yard receiver, however. He has only one 100 yard receiving game to his credit, and only three times has he had more than 5 receptions in a game. Moreover, while I like Winslow, there are no receivers opposite Williams who strike any semblance of fear in opponents. Unless and until Benn or Briscoe (or Preston Parker) can consistently earn the attention of opposing defenses, we may see Williams' growth stunted. He does not look to me like a natural WR1.

I had Tampa Mike last year. A lot of smoke and mirrors. He would have one big play a game but was not a big reception numbers guy and would go long stretches in games with no catches. Then, 30 yard TD.

Those type of WRs scare me and I stayed away this year. I like a guy who is involved regularly. I don't think he is there yet.

Stop reading Rotoworld
I was just down on Tampa in general to start the season. Last year, grabbing Blount off the wire, as well as Williams (or drafting him late), gave people a nice happy feeling about the Bucs. Freeman was a nice backup fantasy QB, and Blount and Williams were every week starters for the most part.But when observing teams as a whole in the offseason, I wasn't impressed with Tampa. I felt like they were a bit like the NFC Bengals, not willing to spend money to get better. And in the NFL, you are either moving forward, or falling back. Blount is a nice hammer, but offers nothing in the passing game, which in today's NFL, severely limits the offense, and limits his fantasy ceiling. I think Williams will wind up being a decent #3, but he was drafted to be a #2.

He has a TD, and had one last week called back on a cheap offensive illegal shift penalty...he will be ok, its only week 2.
this, that is where he makes his hay in the RZ. He'll be fine. When it comes down to it he'll end up a top 20 WR if healthy because of the TD's

People can't even wait until week 4 to write a guy off. He will be fine. He is in an enviable situation. He's a young, talented receiver with great rapport with a young, talented quarterback.

I didn't think he got much separation last year either, so this isn't terribly shocking news.
I haven't watched many TB games recently but I do recall last year in the TB Mike threads it was definitely not "universal love" for the guy despite the numbers he put up. I will have to re-read those threads because there were more than a few "hold up a minute" opinions expressed...

Williams caught 10 passes and scored in both games against the Falcons last season. Atlanta is giving up more than 300 passing yards per game this season. Last weekend sucked but every WR has a stinker every now and then. I'll become concerned about Williams if he doesn't do well tomorrow.

Stars aligning for Benn to eventually have the best season of the TB WRs? The talent is there. If he finishes returning to form from his ACL, and if Williams is consistently drawing double-coverage, could that translate to Benn being "the guy" for Freeman instead of Williams? :popcorn:

People can't even wait until week 4 to write a guy off.
I'm not writing him off and I'm not over reacting to one bad game. I'm just saying I have a bad feeling about the Tampa offense this season. It's not really based on much concrete evidence. Just a hunch.

Stars aligning for Benn to eventually have the best season of the TB WRs? The talent is there. If he finishes returning to form from his ACL, and if Williams is consistently drawing double-coverage, could that translate to Benn being "the guy" for Freeman instead of Williams? :popcorn:
My money is on Parker. 1 less target than Mike.

imo, williams is more dynamic in and out of his breaks and with the ball in the air...

if benn returns to form and comes all the way back, he is a text book west coast WR... big, strong, nasty RAC skills and a beast in the open field...

if benn begins to punish defenses for the extra attention MW is currently facing, that should free up williams more...

i don't think this is a michael clayton situation (but i was wrong that time! :) )...

When Benn starts to come on, and he will, it's going to open things up. Williams' is just suffering from being the focal point of the defense with no one else to draw away attention. But this offense is young and Benn is still recovering from that ACL, it will get better

As far as getting in and out of his breaks Mike Williams is fine and he is getting open enough so it's not like he is totally lost out there or anything. Freeman is just not always honed in on him, if anything Freeman has been forcing balls to K2. The actual problem that I've seen with Williams through the first 2 games is that he's getting jammed at the line. Chris Houston jammed him up nicely. In week 2 Cedric Griffin jammed him a little bit too, but it was more of a 1 hand jab and drop jam as apposed to Chris Houston all up in your ish type jam. Things like this should be easily countered by good coaching and good play design that puts him in motion.

The thing about Mike Williams' game is that he doesn't need separation in the same way that other players do because he'll just take jumpballs out of the air against most defenders. That's why he's always a TD threat near the endzone, his greatest skill is jumping and catching the ball at it's highest point. On most of his TDs he doesn't have separation..... until he jumps.

As far as getting in and out of his breaks Mike Williams is fine and he is getting open enough so it's not like he is totally lost out there or anything. Freeman is just not always honed in on him, if anything Freeman has been forcing balls to K2. The actual problem that I've seen with Williams through the first 2 games is that he's getting jammed at the line. Chris Houston jammed him up nicely. In week 2 Cedric Griffin jammed him a little bit too, but it was more of a 1 hand jab and drop jam as apposed to Chris Houston all up in your ish type jam. Things like this should be easily countered by good coaching and good play design that puts him in motion.The thing about Mike Williams' game is that he doesn't need separation in the same way that other players do because he'll just take jumpballs out of the air against most defenders. That's why he's always a TD threat near the endzone, his greatest skill is jumping and catching the ball at it's highest point. On most of his TDs he doesn't have separation..... until he jumps.
:goodposting:

'Captain Fantastic said:
1) FWIW (not a whole lot), Mike Williams was way ahead of Benn before Benn was injured.2) Once Benn becomes "the guy" then some of that double coverage would roll over to him.I'm a Mike Williams owner. What I see happening is that the entire receiving corps continues to develop. I don't know who ends up on top. I don't think anybody can really make a good guess at this point. Parker looked good last week. Benn should develop more. Mike Williams' game could develop/change, as well.I know we're all in the business of trying to predict the future. I just see too many moving parts and young players in the TB WR corps to make a very educated guess. Unless the overall Tampa passing game grows a bit, hard to see it supporting more than one fantasy starter on a regular basis. So, here's to hoping Josh Freeman develops.

Users who are viewing this thread