What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Taylor Price NE WR (1 Viewer)

daylight

Footballguy
There are many threads on the SP regarding the Loss of Moss, the Impact on Welker, the Breakout of Brandon Tate but I have a different perspective on the situation.

I say Taylor Price steps into Randy's shoes, starts opposite of Tate and becomes the new deep threat for Brady. The true Breakout?

Granted NE has inverted the meat of their formations from 3WR to 2TE but I doubt very much that the jettison of Moss was reactionary. More likely NE was already thinking of life without Moss and planned for that with the drafting of TEs and their early use was to bring that part of the playbook up to speed. Now they can go either way. BJGE's moderate success aside they have not morphed into a running team meaning that they will still throw first.

Good teams don't design their playbooks around the addition/loss of one player. Just because Moss is gone doesn't necessarily mean Brady's progressions looking deep automatically switch to Tate. Moss out, Price in. Touchdown.

Am I way off base here?

He'll need to get active first.

I like Price long-term, but it'll take some time.

The Pats are one of the best at retooling their offense for the players they have at any particular time.

See: Welker (mentioned above)

And also, the Pats never really used their TE's much. But now they they have 2 young viable options, they've adjusted accordingly and are using that position more than ever.

Oh, and they did it with Moss too. They would have been idiots not to.

What I am saying here is that the targets remain the same for Welker, Tate, Hernandez, etc.

Price now gets Moss's pass targets which would make him worth a roster spot and possibly/probably a starter in deeper/3WR fantasy leagues.

Why would Price take Moss' targets when he hasn't been on the field once this year?

In dynasty I like him but I'd have a very hard time believing he'll get the lion's share of Moss's targets. Sure, he may be active, but the other guys will get theirs first.

There are many threads on the SP regarding the Loss of Moss, the Impact on Welker, the Breakout of Brandon Tate but I have a different perspective on the situation.I say Taylor Price steps into Randy's shoes, starts opposite of Tate and becomes the new deep threat for Brady. The true Breakout?Granted NE has inverted the meat of their formations from 3WR to 2TE but I doubt very much that the jettison of Moss was reactionary. More likely NE was already thinking of life without Moss and planned for that with the drafting of TEs and their early use was to bring that part of the playbook up to speed. Now they can go either way. BJGE's moderate success aside they have not morphed into a running team meaning that they will still throw first. Good teams don't design their playbooks around the addition/loss of one player. Just because Moss is gone doesn't necessarily mean Brady's progressions looking deep automatically switch to Tate. Moss out, Price in. Touchdown.Am I way off base here?
What do you like about PRice the player? Did you watch him in college? What is it about him, your post said Zero about his game or skill.

Why would Price take Moss' targets when he hasn't been on the field once this year? In dynasty I like him but I'd have a very hard time believing he'll get the lion's share of Moss's targets. Sure, he may be active, but the other guys will get theirs first.
It is not inconceivable that a player who has not been targeted or even active all season cannot start and produce. Think Ryan Torain. Guys come out of nowhere every year. Even rookie wide outs. Think Randy Moss himself - or better: A Boldin. I am not saying Price is as good as those guys but NE did draft him high (3rd round) and they know what they are doing when it comes to player evaluation. Perhaps they were comfortable with Price all along and he was the final (big?) piece that gave them the confidence to boot Moss in the middle of a season.

Why would Price take Moss' targets when he hasn't been on the field once this year? In dynasty I like him but I'd have a very hard time believing he'll get the lion's share of Moss's targets. Sure, he may be active, but the other guys will get theirs first.
It is not inconceivable that a player who has not been targeted or even active all season cannot start and produce. Think Ryan Torain. Guys come out of nowhere every year. Even rookie wide outs. Think Randy Moss himself - or better: A Boldin. I am not saying Price is as good as those guys but NE did draft him high (3rd round) and they know what they are doing when it comes to player evaluation. Perhaps they were comfortable with Price all along and he was the final (big?) piece that gave them the confidence to boot Moss in the middle of a season.
I'm assuming that you are a Price owner?

This is all possible, but from what I have read (correct me if I'm wrong) Price struggled during camp and hasn't made the active roster once. It would be one thing if he looked great, but I have not heard that at all, so I'd have a hard time buying into him being productive much this season. I do like Price's talent, though, I just think he'll have a learning curve like most WRs.

My highly developed fantasy football intuition tells me this is correct. He will be activated shortly, if not already and play a role immediately. Good dynasty deep pickup at this point.

The only reason he's not been active is because the role for the #4 WR was primarily special teams which Aiken does much better. It's not an indication that Aiken is higher on the depth chart.

That being said Price might still say inactive. It's a guessing game at this point. Edelman might get bumped up to the top 3 with Aiken remaining at #4. Word on Price was he looked real good in training camp early on but came from a raw college offense and was going to take some time to adjust to the game.

What might help Price get his shot probably depends on if Tate can be a legitimate deep threat. Tate looks outstanding to me but also looks more like a run after the catch type player, like a more dangerous Eddie Royal. If Tate can't stretch the defenses than I think Price might get his shot.

NE Targets so far this year:

Welker: 34

Moss: 22

Hern: 20

Tate: 14

To put it simply: Just because Moss is gone doesn't necessarily mean his targets shift to Tate.

Sure, they *could* go to Welker or Tate or Hernandez but they could go to Price.

On a team that well coached and that loaded with surrounding offensive talent it is not inconceivable that Price is plug-and-play for Belichick. Look at what he does with his RBs.

Why would Price take Moss' targets when he hasn't been on the field once this year?

In dynasty I like him but I'd have a very hard time believing he'll get the lion's share of Moss's targets. Sure, he may be active, but the other guys will get theirs first.
It is not inconceivable that a player who has not been targeted or even active all season cannot start and produce. Think Ryan Torain. Guys come out of nowhere every year. Even rookie wide outs. Think Randy Moss himself - or better: A Boldin. I am not saying Price is as good as those guys but NE did draft him high (3rd round) and they know what they are doing when it comes to player evaluation.

Perhaps they were comfortable with Price all along and he was the final (big?) piece that gave them the confidence to boot Moss in the middle of a season.
And the weekly active players have been evaluated (that's why their active, and more importantly, on the field).

And I'm sure Price was part of the considerations they made when deciding to move Moss. As was their entire offense.

Long-term, Price is an excellent stash.

Deion branch coming back. I still have not heard the OP say what he likes about prices skill/talent or his experience watching price in college.

I am beginning to think he is just a wishful price owner hoping his late round flier whom he has never seen play a single snap. If that is wrong then correct me and add some substance why the high hopes.

and no, I am not a Price owner.I am considering it though as I am just not convinced that Lack of Moss automatically means More of Tate and am seeking other's thoughts.

My highly developed fantasy football intuition tells me this is correct. He will be activated shortly, if not already and play a role immediately. Good dynasty deep pickup at this point.
Angry: I cannot tell if you are being facetious or not (not the brightest bulb over here I guess).
The only reason he's not been active is because the role for the #4 WR was primarily special teams which Aiken does much better. It's not an indication that Aiken is higher on the depth chart.That being said Price might still say inactive. It's a guessing game at this point. Edelman might get bumped up to the top 3 with Aiken remaining at #4. Word on Price was he looked real good in training camp early on but came from a raw college offense and was going to take some time to adjust to the game. What might help Price get his shot probably depends on if Tate can be a legitimate deep threat. Tate looks outstanding to me but also looks more like a run after the catch type player, like a more dangerous Eddie Royal. If Tate can't stretch the defenses than I think Price might get his shot.
I like this response - it gets me closer to understanding.

I am beginning to think he is just a wishful price owner hoping his late round flier whom he has never seen play a single snap. If that is wrong then correct me and add some substance why the high hopes.
Correct in spirit. I did not draft Price and do not currently own him. I realize I am in Deep Sleeper territory here and started a specific Price thread because I couldn't find one in the search function.Part of my reasoning is this: I drafted Ryan Torain in the 16th round of my FF draft but foolishly dropped him along the way while I was playing around with guys like R Jennings and B Scott. Oh well. I move on knowing it can happen again. Also, a few years ago Marvin Harrison was out for a game. Everyone, broadcasters and forum posters predicted a huge bump in Wayne's targets but I picked up some guy (can't remember his name - don't laugh) who had been warming the IND bench all year. He started in Harrison's spot and Presto! 70 years and a touchdown. It happens. Just watching for it and again, there wasn't a Price specific thread.

Correct in spirit. I did not draft Price and do not currently own him. I realize I am in Deep Sleeper territory here and started a specific Price thread because I couldn't find one in the search function.Part of my reasoning is this: I drafted Ryan Torain in the 16th round of my FF draft but foolishly dropped him along the way while I was playing around with guys like R Jennings and B Scott. Oh well. I move on knowing it can happen again. Also, a few years ago Marvin Harrison was out for a game. Everyone, broadcasters and forum posters predicted a huge bump in Wayne's targets but I picked up some guy (can't remember his name - don't laugh) who had been warming the IND bench all year. He started in Harrison's spot and Presto! 70 years and a touchdown. It happens. Just watching for it and again, there wasn't a Price specific thread.
The fact you can't remember his name should tell you what you need to know.Just don't think NE is waiting to unleash Price.

Stash him on your roster if you have the space. He'll get his chance, more later than sooner IMO.

I do own him in 1 league.

Yes, you are way off base if you think that Price is going to step into the Moss role and get all of his targets while no one else gets an increase. Baby steps, like being activated for a game would be a start.

and no, I am not a Price owner.I am considering it though as I am just not convinced that Lack of Moss automatically means More of Tate and am seeking other's thoughts.

Angry: I cannot tell if you are being facetious or not (not the brightest bulb over here I guess).
The only reason he's not been active is because the role for the #4 WR was primarily special teams which Aiken does much better. It's not an indication that Aiken is higher on the depth chart.That being said Price might still say inactive. It's a guessing game at this point. Edelman might get bumped up to the top 3 with Aiken remaining at #4. Word on Price was he looked real good in training camp early on but came from a raw college offense and was going to take some time to adjust to the game. What might help Price get his shot probably depends on if Tate can be a legitimate deep threat. Tate looks outstanding to me but also looks more like a run after the catch type player, like a more dangerous Eddie Royal. If Tate can't stretch the defenses than I think Price might get his shot.
I like this response - it gets me closer to understanding.
At least 50% of the board has already asked this question with no response from the OP, but i guess i'll dabble in futility and ask it again:BUT WHY WHY WHY WHY HWY WHY!!!! WHY!!!???? You just wrote things that you said "could" happen or "maybe would" happen, but why the hell WILL they happen? You know, like "I watched this Price kid and his skills/talent remind me of Moss," etc. So far you have writen basically nothing. You have said that a lowly receiver with zero trust so far will turn into Moss and get his targets, but have failed to say:WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?

The fact you can't remember his name should tell you what you need to know.

Just don't think NE is waiting to unleash Price.

Stash him on your roster if you have the space. He'll get his chance, more later than sooner IMO.

That's my point. Good teams like NE and IND take no name players, plug them in and get production.But I am seeing the consensus here is that Belichick is not going to plug him in immediately and use him.

The fact you can't remember his name should tell you what you need to know.

Just don't think NE is waiting to unleash Price.

That's my point. Good teams like NE and IND take no name players, plug them in and get production.But I am seeing the consensus here is that Belichick is not going to plug him in immediately and use him.
But if that player had more than that 1 decent game, you'd remember his name, right?

Shows how very rare what you're hoping for is.

Ever heard of a WR named Chad Jackson?

I'd vote no. Pats are likely getting Deion Branch back and Price could easily be a game day inactive still. As already mentioned, he can start be being on the game day active list. He may be a longer term option, but I doubt he makes much of an impact his rookie year.

Remember, back in the day no Pats WR had much fantasy value and only deep leagues had any use for them. That may be the case again beyond Wes Welker.

At least 50% of the board has already asked this question with no response from the OP, but i guess i'll dabble in futility and ask it again:BUT WHY WHY WHY WHY HWY WHY!!!! WHY!!!???? You just wrote things that you said "could" happen or "maybe would" happen, but why the hell WILL they happen? You know, like "I watched this Price kid and his skills/talent remind me of Moss," etc. So far you have writen basically nothing. You have said that a lowly receiver with zero trust so far will turn into Moss and get his targets, but have failed to say:WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?
1.) I have read positive scouting reports on the kid but cannot find any recent news.2.) I admitted I was in Deep Sleeper territory - I was just looking for any thoughts or insights if there were any to be had - if not, then ok.2b.) I admit I am speculating here but who doesn't do that and then seek a sounding board?3.) I find the info and opinions on this board to be the best and there wasn't a Price specific thread so I gave it a go.So that is "why".Oh, and one more: I like to give others the opportunity to overuse caps lock and excessive copy & paste wherever I can. :blackdot:

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll need to get active first.I like Price long-term, but it'll take some time.The Pats are one of the best at retooling their offense for the players they have at any particular time.See: Welker (mentioned above)And also, the Pats never really used their TE's much. But now they they have 2 young viable options, they've adjusted accordingly and are using that position more than ever.Oh, and they did it with Moss too. They would have been idiots not to.
The Wes Welker ascension was a byproduct of Randy Moss, plain and simple. There would not have been a Welker without taking the safeties out of the middle of the field. Moss did this in Minnesota, elevating Cris Carter's game as well. People will soon realize this now with Moss gone.Price has a decent shot to gain some PT, but I feel he has a long way to go before he can get there. Tate will be given the first look, but I'm not so sure that the Pats will want to take him off of kick returns since he is looking like such a special returner.Here is my take on the situation. With the added selections in next year's draft, the Pats have the luxury to use at least one of their high picks (yes, maybe even a 1st), on a special talent outside. Welcome aboard Mr. A.J. Green! This very well could become a reality.

Welker is not just some scrub who became good overnight once paired with Moss. While Brady and Moss made him statistically better, he has always been a baller from when he was with Mia.

Welker is not just some scrub who became good overnight once paired with Moss. While Brady and Moss made him statistically better, he has always been a baller from when he was with Mia.
:confused: I think people fail to see that Welker is a special player in his own right

Yes, but a lot of people, myself included, don't think he's made to be a #1 WR. He's a great #2....just not suited to be a #1. I guess time will tell.

:goodposting: I think people fail to see that Welker is a special player in his own right
he's good, he's not as good as the moss years. you'll see very soon. his targets may stay the same, but all his efficiency stats will likely fall of a cliff.

The Wes Welker ascension was a byproduct of Randy Moss, plain and simple. There would not have been a Welker without taking the safeties out of the middle of the field. Moss did this in Minnesota, elevating Cris Carter's game as well. People will soon realize this now with Moss gone.Price has a decent shot to gain some PT, but I feel he has a long way to go before he can get there. Tate will be given the first look, but I'm not so sure that the Pats will want to take him off of kick returns since he is looking like such a special returner.Here is my take on the situation. With the added selections in next year's draft, the Pats have the luxury to use at least one of their high picks (yes, maybe even a 1st), on a special talent outside. Welcome aboard Mr. A.J. Green! This very well could become a reality.
:shrug:

Deion branch coming back. I still have not heard the OP say what he likes about prices skill/talent or his experience watching price in college.

Branch is back in NE?

FWIW, here are the top 10 all-time rookie WR seasons for the Pats:

1 Terry Glenn wr 1996 22 1 15 5 42 8.40 0 90 1132 12.58 6 153.42 Randy Vataha wr 1971 23 1 14 0 0 0 51 872 17.10 9 141.23 Jim Colclough wr 1960 24 1 14 0 0 0 49 666 13.59 9 120.64 HartLee Dykes wr 1989 23 1 16 0 0 0 49 795 16.22 5 109.55 Ron Sellers wr 1969 22 1 12 0 0 0 27 705 26.11 6 106.56 Art Graham wr 1963 22 1 14 0 0 0 21 550 26.19 5 85.07 Vincent Brisby wr 1993 22 1 16 0 0 0 45 626 13.91 2 74.68 Tony Simmons wr 1998 24 1 11 0 0 0 23 474 20.61 3 65.49 Stanley Morgan wr 1977 22 1 14 1 10 10.00 0 21 443 21.10 3 63.310 Deion Branch wr 2002 23 1 13 2 0 0.00 0 43 489 11.37 2 60.9
I suggest tempering your expectations for this year.

Yes, but a lot of people, myself included, don't think he's made to be a #1 WR. He's a great #2....just not suited to be a #1. I guess time will tell.
Nobody says or thinks he's a #1, he's not. He is what he is, and that's the best slot receiver in the NFL. He'll still get his 100+ catches a year, regardless of the WR's.I also thought Price looked great in pre-season and at one point thought he would start instead of Tate. He's got a great combination of size and speed, and great hands. He might be raw, but I would not be surprised if he was starting after the bye week opposite Tate.

1 Terry Glenn wr 1996 22 1 15 5 42 8.40 0 90 1132 12.58 6 153.42 Randy Vataha wr 1971 23 1 14 0 0 0 51 872 17.10 9 141.23 Jim Colclough wr 1960 24 1 14 0 0 0 49 666 13.59 9 120.64 HartLee Dykes wr 1989 23 1 16 0 0 0 49 795 16.22 5 109.55 Ron Sellers wr 1969 22 1 12 0 0 0 27 705 26.11 6 106.56 Art Graham wr 1963 22 1 14 0 0 0 21 550 26.19 5 85.07 Vincent Brisby wr 1993 22 1 16 0 0 0 45 626 13.91 2 74.68 Tony Simmons wr 1998 24 1 11 0 0 0 23 474 20.61 3 65.49 Stanley Morgan wr 1977 22 1 14 1 10 10.00 0 21 443 21.10 3 63.310 Deion Branch wr 2002 23 1 13 2 0 0.00 0 43 489 11.37 2 60.9
Is there supposed to be a point here? And if so, what the hell is it?

I think the point is that Darryl Stingley wasn't that good

ROBOPUNTER said:
PatsFanCT said:
cstu said:

very lame attempt at humor

Good discussion, but I'd rather the OP be honest about his intentions (whether Price is a worthy pickup) rather than making an unsubstantiated claim/prediction.

Allow me to throw a bucket of reality-flavored water on this discussion .....

Price looked great in camp; but when it came to live action in the pre-season, he looked completely lost. Then he got hurt.

I'd be very surprised if he has progressed to the point where he is even on the field in 4 WR sets. Slater will still probably be that guy. And he's terrible (just a good ST guy).

Price will probably be active, but I'd be shocked if he has 15+ catches this year.

Allow me to throw a bucket of reality-flavored water on this discussion .....Price looked great in camp; but when it came to live action in the pre-season, he looked completely lost. Then he got hurt.I'd be very surprised if he has progressed to the point where he is even on the field in 4 WR sets. Slater will still probably be that guy. And he's terrible (just a good ST guy).Price will probably be active, but I'd be shocked if he has 15+ catches this year.
:goodposting: Sums it up pretty well.

ROBOPUNTER said:
PatsFanCT said:
cstu said:

very lame attempt at humor
I know. The point should be obvious.

ROBOPUNTER said:
PatsFanCT said:
cstu said:

That is pretty disgusting :mellow:

ROBOPUNTER said:
PatsFanCT said:
cstu said:

That is pretty disgusting :mellow:

What I am saying here is that the targets remain the same for Welker, Tate, Hernandez, etc.Price now gets Moss's pass targets which would make him worth a roster spot and possibly/probably a starter in deeper/3WR fantasy leagues.
This is one of those times where no one's talking about it for good reason. The beneficiaries are Hernandez and Tate.

ROBOPUNTER said:
PatsFanCT said:
cstu said:

That is pretty disgusting :lmao:
I know! Waste of a first round pick.

Users who are viewing this thread