What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin (1 Viewer)

What I'm worried about is his lack of escapability. Before the season started, detractors said Austin would get destroyed if he ever were to have a clean shot upon him. Austin supporters said that would never happen because he's too quick and could avoid hits. Well, they were both wrong, because he gets hit all the time and doesn't get hurt. Austin has only 106 yards after a reception on 31 receptions. Only one player has more receptions than Austin with less YAC and that's Steve Smith with 87 on 32. One difference is that Smith runs deeper routes more regularly (his YPC is 10.5, Austins is 6.7). So what we have in Austin is a quick/fast guy that can't get away from anyone even when he runs routes designed to get the ball in his hands quickly so he can make people miss. He averages 6.7 yards per catch, and 3.3 of them are after he catches the ball. That's terrible. This isn't happening and it's not because he needs to get acclimated to the league. No one says "Next year this kid will be quicker".
Do you know how many times he has been asked to run three yards, turn around and wait for the ball? 3 yard button hooks means he is going to catch the ball flat footed. Standing still. Nobody is fast enough to outrun a closing LB or CB from standing still. We need to see the guy doing screens, wheels, something, that gets him the ball in space.

Sabertooth said:
jsharlan said:
I still think it has more to do with how they have been using him than his own lack of ability.
Fisher isn't going anywhere for a while.
He's not but Schottenheimer might. And then Bradford is set back again. So it's a lose lose for St. Louis.

The comment that Tavon Austin is a chess piece and Schottenheimer is playing checkers applies here. But if you get an OC that is creative enough to use Austin properly, then it's the QB being set back by having to learn a whole new offense. Lose, lose...
New OC/new QB. Win/Win.

What I'm worried about is his lack of escapability. Before the season started, detractors said Austin would get destroyed if he ever were to have a clean shot upon him. Austin supporters said that would never happen because he's too quick and could avoid hits. Well, they were both wrong, because he gets hit all the time and doesn't get hurt. Austin has only 106 yards after a reception on 31 receptions. Only one player has more receptions than Austin with less YAC and that's Steve Smith with 87 on 32. One difference is that Smith runs deeper routes more regularly (his YPC is 10.5, Austins is 6.7). So what we have in Austin is a quick/fast guy that can't get away from anyone even when he runs routes designed to get the ball in his hands quickly so he can make people miss. He averages 6.7 yards per catch, and 3.3 of them are after he catches the ball. That's terrible. This isn't happening and it's not because he needs to get acclimated to the league. No one says "Next year this kid will be quicker".
I think the thing about Austin is that he's not a natural receiver. For someone like Desean to succeed he has to be able to catch the ball in space and juke his defender immediately. Austin has great open-field moves but he hasn't shown the ability to get into them off a reception fast enough to be a consistent threat in the passing game. That's the difference between Desean and someone like Devin Hester or Dante Hall.

Sabertooth said:
jsharlan said:
I still think it has more to do with how they have been using him than his own lack of ability.
He's not but Schottenheimer might. And then Bradford is set back again. So it's a lose lose for St. Louis.

The comment that Tavon Austin is a chess piece and Schottenheimer is playing checkers applies here. But if you get an OC that is creative enough to use Austin properly, then it's the QB being set back by having to learn a whole new offense. Lose, lose...
New OC/new QB. Win/Win.
I believe that Sam has the skill to be elite, i just think he hasn't had anyone show him exactly how to do that. I'm starting to think the best thing for Bradford and the Rams is that he go elsewhere...

Sabertooth said:
jsharlan said:

New OC/new QB. Win/Win.
I believe that Sam has the skill to be elite, i just think he hasn't had anyone show him exactly how to do that. I'm starting to think the best thing for Bradford and the Rams is that he go elsewhere...
I agree. Bradford and Austin's failing are not all on them. I think I've said multiple times that their OC is garbage and needs to get fired ASAP. The problem for Bradford is that he may never find a stable coaching/personnel situation in St Louis for him to play well. Fisher should have known that Schottenhemier was bad. That was such a huge mistake.

I think the thing about Austin is that he's not a natural receiver. For someone like Desean to succeed he has to be able to catch the ball in space and juke his defender immediately. Austin has great open-field moves but he hasn't shown the ability to get into them off a reception fast enough to be a consistent threat in the passing game. That's the difference between Desean and someone like Devin Hester or Dante Hall.
[if anybody's head is going to explode over a long post or due to not being up to the standards of strunk and white's elements of style, please skip it]...

don't think that is it. looking at him in college, he looked like a natural hands catcher, he is a good athlete with hand eye coordination.

maybe he will fail for some other reason or reasons, but i don't think that is it.

desean jackson can succeed in a number of ways, one of which is to be one of the best deep threats in the league... he has the quickness and speed to explode past DBs and get open deep in the blink of an eye. it isn't just the threat of that (though that may be a component), but the actual use, that forces DBs to respect his speed and back off, giving him more cushion at times when they do flip the ball to him on short passes, which enables him to do more RAC damage, with more space to operate in.

it has been discussed before, but i think the main issue has been use. most rams fans who have seen the games acknowledge this, there isn't a big controversy over it like there may be, even among rams fans, about bradford. gruden talked about it during the game. what i saw in the use of austin while at west virginia that has been different in the pros with the rams, is in college, they did a much better job getting him the ball ALREADY IN SPACE (not where he had to juke 2-3 defenders first to GET INTO SPACE), which allowed him to do what he did best.

in the first minute of college highlights (senior season), i probably saw a few reverses. i'm not sure how many times he's been allowed to run the ball through the first half of the season, but it is close to zero? why WOULDN'T you run a reverse once a game with a weapon like that... and that sets up the fake reverse (maybe throw it to him after a misdirection fake later, anyways?)... in college, they also threw long to him more often, which would keep DBs off balance (like pro DBs are with desean jackson)... i know bradford is criticised for his low career YPA, but it isn't like they are running him long a lot and QB is missing that read... just a lot of boring, predictable, simple, short, few yard and squat patterns. maybe brandon marshall could succeed like that (but even he wouldn't put up the same production if his OC was that incompetent), by physically overpowering smaller DBs. but austin isn't marshall.

another difference between jackson and hall and hester is that jackson was a WR in college. Hall was a RB. Hester multiposition, but some CB, certainly not a full time WR. austin was a baltimore prep legend as RB, but as far as i know, played WR in college, almost exclusively last few seasons (an injury led to his use a lot at RB in the oklahoma game in which he rushed for 344 and had 572 all purpose yards)... so austin is more like jackson in that respect...

if you monotonously run austin to the same spot (they ran an out in SEA game, maybe on last drive, and surprise, suprise, he caught it and did better), and the defense isn't stupid and studies tendencies, it doesn't matter if you are a video game character that can instantly turn and run with no time elapsed, they will be surrounded.

for those who haven't watched the games and can't speak to use on that basis, another way to look at it is... is the OC universally acknowledged as a genius and master of scheming, week to week game planning and creatively putting his charges in the best possible position to succeed*... maybe talk to some jets fans... i think we all know what the answer to this is... if anybody does think that, we are probably seeing things too differently to even debate it...

this may sound like a reason making the point that austin is doomed to fail one way or another... i just have a hard time thinking even an OC as dense and stubborn as schotty won't EVENTUALLY figure out that allowing him to run reverses, pre-snap motion, go routes, will create more space for him...

has he done more than the flop? again, if not for a block in the back by ray ray on a return, and a trip by long on a 60+ yard TD, he would have four TDs, and we might not even be having this discussion... terrance williams has four or more receiving TDs (in consecutive weeks, setting new cowboys rookie record in the process), but there can't be many more rookie WRs that do, if any...

in redraft, the switch to clemens already probably killed the value of all rams WRs, so that looks like a moot point...

in dynasty, his value is likely depressed, unless people think he is doomed to see his value go down more and more (in which case maybe they should get what they can now), it makes more sense to hold him and see if they figure out the usage part. austin did say at one point he was still struggling with the playbook, which isn't good, but could be a cause to think that he could play faster in the future...

after looking at college film again as a reminder, i will say that it is obvious that some of things that he could do there (like be surrounded by four defenders and have nobody even lay a hand on him) aren't viable in the pros, defenders are too good... on some of the plays, he cut things very close, and than exploded past the defender with his move (i assume because if he made move earlier, that might make it easier for defender to get the angle on him and increase chance of making an open field tackle)... this is another habit which he likely needs to break and adjust to the better level of athleticism and speed in the NFL... this is what i meant in an earlier post about his still being in the process, imo, of recalibrating what made him successful in college, and adjusting to the NFL... i don't think he is close to finished with that process and adapting, eight games into his NFL career... if he does this, he may not be faster or quicker next year... but he could PLAY quicker by taking smarter angles informed by greater experience, reps, maturity and development. there is a distinction between the two.

* not saying they need visionary usage from the OC... just not complete incompetence... there could be some middle ground...

you do get credit for persistence and creativity in trying to get the austin is dante hall argument off the gound...

1 - first it was he is used the same as desean jackson, but not as successful, so he must be dante hall.

2 - than, maybe he isn't used the same, but he is 5'8" instead of 5'10", so he can't be used the same as jackson, and must be hall.

3 - now he isn't a natural receiver and must be hall.

4 - next (fill in the blank) so he must be hall.

there are more alternative potential culprits in the austin is dante hall theory than there there were suspects in oliver stone's JFK (is it the russians for standing up to them during the missiles of october crisis, the cubans for the bay of pigs fiasco, the mob for allegedly delivering union votes only to have bobby kennedy hound them after the election, war profiteers due to overtures about ending vietnam, etc.)?

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who actually watches Rams games {....crickets?...} what kind of routes do they actually use him on?

Watching the Rams-Seahawks game I thought they could have used him on short routes, screens, possession type patterns to great effect - they should be peppering him, especially with no-arm Clemens out there. I just never saw that, but it's hard to tell on tv.

I mean they need a guy just like him.

Also, what the heck happened in Games 1-2 (by the box score at least Austin and Cook apparently destroyed the Cards and then Austin and Givens killed the Falcs) that can never ever be replicated?

Yeah, that's a great point. That, plus the terrible routes he's charged with running are probably the 2 greatest contributors to his terrible production and efficiency. I still think he can become a useful WR, but I don't think he'll ever become as good as Desean Jackson. Even guys like Jackson and Santana Moss had more work as traditional WRs in college than Austin. Maybe he doesn't have the physical tools to make the 1st tackler miss immediately. I don't know if this is something that can be developed. Another reason I think he just can't avoid defenders at this level is that he has 31 receptions but only 12 first downs. The next WR with that few 1st downs has only 22 receptions (Mike Williams). He also has the 3rd more punt returns in the league (23) but only 90 yards. That's an average of less than 4 yards per return. Everyone else in the punt return leaders averages over 10 Austin also has far and away the shortest long return at 20 yards. No big plays from this guy. Guess how many players in NFL history had at least 40 punt returns but averaged under 5 yards per return? 1. Kevin Miller in 1978. Guess what Kevin Miller wasn't doing in 1980? Returning punts. Guess what Kevin Miller wasn't doing in 1981? Playing football. Maybe Austin just can't make plays in any aspect of the game.

I still don't think DJax/Santana Moss are good comparisons to Tavon because early in their careers they were almost exclusively deep threats, which isn't really Tavon's game.

Santana Moss, as he has lost his world class speed, has become a great route runner and hands catcher as he's aged and transformed into much more of a small, quick possession receiver for the Redskins over time. Because he never had a good QB during the prime of his career, we'll never know exactly how scary of a deep threat he could/should have been. But he transformed his game over time to match what the Redskins needed, just like Clinton Portis did along with him (who went from an explosive Jamaal Charles-like big play threat to a grinding pounder who punished defenses with more and more work as he gained 15-20 lbs under Gibbs).

Basically, Moss and Portis are perfect examples of physical dynamos who's natural skill-sets were wasted under Gibbs and subsequent Redskins coaches.

So in that regard, Moss might be an alright comparison to Tavon--but not in regards to their individual skill-sets or ideal usage. Same with Desean.

Rich man's dexter mccluster
Through their first 8 games:

Austin 35 touches from scrimmage, 217 yards, 6.2 yards per touch. 3.9 yards per PR

McCluster 33 touches from scrimmage, 243 yards, 7.4 yards per touch. 16.3 yards per PR including a 94 yard TD.

I don't know if Austin is a rich man's McCluster, think they live in the same neighborhood. McCluster has more big plays through his first 8 games (he had a KR TD as well).

austin has had several long punt returns (including a TD) called back due to penalty, which wont show up in return average stats other than to depress them.

this was both a major subject of conversation and source of frustration for rams fans (and anybody else that watched their games regularly, in the few cases that didn't involve fans) earlier in the season... EVERY GAME in first four-six weeks there were seemingly multiple infractions on ST plays, and several very costly.

i think this is at least in part a consequence of being the youngest team in the league.... rams fans can only hope that isn't always the case, and they don't always remain one of the most penalized teams in the NFL (like the raiders were seemingly repeatedly in recent years)... this is the point where some might want to chirp in with the stock, de rigueur argument that every punt returner has had a long TD return nullified by penalty this year... but i kind of doubt that.

austin needs to stop trying to break every return for a TD, and waste time dancing... just turn it upfield and go, maybe make one cut than get north south as quickly as possible, and not give the defense as much time to vector around him in swarm mode... too often he misjudges short punts, doesn't catch them, allows them to hit the ground, where more often than not the momentum causes the ball to bounce forward and costs the team field position (it happended before last drive in SEA game, which is why they needed to go 90+ yards)... maybe he won't ever be a good punt returner (though if those long ones start to count, opinion will change in a hurry).

but there are many functional WRs that aren't punt returners, so that needn't be a death blow to his career or cause him to out of the league in 2014 ala kevin miller (they aren't necessarily 100% overlapping skill sets).

Rotoworld:

Rams rookie WR Tavon Austin admitted his transition to the NFL has been more difficult than he anticipated.
Austin ranks first among all rookies with 31 receptions, but has just 207 yards and two touchdowns in eight games. He's tied for the NFL lead with seven drops. "Maybe it was a little harder than I thought at first," Austin said. "I'm sure my time will come." With an inconsistent role on offense and struggling to adjust to the NFL, Austin is nothing more than a WR5 stash in re-draft leagues.

Source: Associated Press

From that AP article:

"With him not being out there every play, when you put him out there, the defenses start looking for certain things," Schottenheimer said. "But he's had a good week of (practice). You'll see him make some plays starting this weekend."

Um, yeah, we've heard that before. But at some point I still think they're all going to figure it out with him.

From that AP article:

"With him not being out there every play, when you put him out there, the defenses start looking for certain things," Schottenheimer said. "But he's had a good week of (practice). You'll see him make some plays starting this weekend."

Um, yeah, we've heard that before. But at some point I still think they're all going to figure it out with him.
Is this when they unleash him?

Tavon Austin comes alive in Rams' dismantling of ColtsBy Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Excerpt:

Tavon Austin finally showed why the St. Louis Rams traded up to select him at No. 8 overall in the 2013 NFL Draft. The speedy rookie racked up 310 all-purpose yards in the Rams' 38-8 undressing of the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday.

Not only did Austin average 52 yards per touch, he also became the first player in NFL history to have a punt-return touchdown of at least 95 yards and a receiving touchdown of at least 55 yards in the same game.

In an 11-minute stretch from the second quarter to the beginning of the third, Austin gashed the Colts with a 98-yard punt-return touchdown, a 57-yard touchdown on a sideline bomb and an 81-yard catch-and-run score on a crossing route.

By the time Austin had produced 31 of the greatest all-purpose minutes in league history, the Colts were dead in the water, facing a 35-point deficit early in the third quarter.

Although Austin now is up to five touchdowns, he has scored in just two games and was arguably the most disappointing rookie in the league until Sunday.

As Dan Hanzus pointed out, Austin's scoring plays were football equivalent of "easy cheese."

If the Rams can find a way to get the ball in Austin's hands without a defender within 15 yards, this performance can be a springboard to success over the season's final two months. More likely, he'll come out of the Week 11 bye as a bit player in Zac Stacy's supporting cast.

MoveToSkypager said:
So if we are jumping to conclusions, then Austin is awesome and Bradford was the problem. If we aren't jumping to conclusions, then this game doesn't necessarily mean anything. What's the official verdict? Conclusions? No conclusions?
That this is what happens when

1. Austin doesn't drop the ball

2. They stop throwing him poorly-designed screens and start utilizing his speed on deep routes, both fly and slant

3. His large gains are not called back penalty

Rotoworld:

Tavon Austin caught two passes for 138 yards and two touchdowns in St. Louis' 38-8 Week 10 win over the Colts, adding another 145 yards and a 98-yard touchdown on four punt returns.
It was a coming-out party for the thus far disappointing No. 8 overall pick, who got the fun started with a jaw-dropping 98-yard touchdown on a second-quarter punt return. Signaling no catch, Austin instead caught the ball behind his body before making multiple tacklers miss as he danced along the sideline at warp speed. Later that quarter, Austin positively scorched Vontae Davis on a simple vertical route down the sideline. Austin took advantage of a devastating pick block on his 81-yard score in the third quarter. Austin was targeted just one other time in the passing game, but it was partly the result of a surprisingly lopsided score. He finished with 314 all-purpose yards. One huge game isn't enough to declare Austin back on the re-draft radar, but it's certainly going to get his coaches' attention. With their playoff chances slim-to-none, the Rams should continue to experiment on offense, finding out what works going into 2014.

flashed a stat on SNF...

austin became the third player in NFL history to have a game with three TDs of 50+ yards before 23rd birthday*.

* good company, other two were gale sayers and randy moss.

Rotoworld:

Tavon Austin played only 15 offensive snaps in his Week 10 breakout game.
He played eight downs on special teams. While Austin's game was electrifying and a reminder that he has game-breaking talent, fantasy owners trying to chase Tavon's Week 10 box score into the fantasy playoffs probably aren't going to have much success. He's a better hold in Dynasty than re-draft formats.

Source: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Why isn't anyone talking about what I feel was a foolish decision to grab that punt at the 2 yard line (when it was clearly heading to the end zone) and run it out?

Yes, it worked out but it was a dumb move, imo.

Why isn't anyone talking about what I feel was a foolish decision to grab that punt at the 2 yard line (when it was clearly heading to the end zone) and run it out?

Yes, it worked out but it was a dumb move, imo.
Isn't that the truth, he's lucky he kept a grip on that one, that could have been a disaster.

there is a reason there aren't a lot of 98 yard punt return TDs, if you think about it...

he made a judgement call, may have been a bad one, but can't argue with the results?

I'm sure if fisher tells him don't ever do that again, don't use judgement, he won't.

I'm not sure fisher tells him that...

so any chance that after his breakout performance and a bye week to game plan, will the Rams "feature" Austin a little bit more?

15 plays for a guy you took in the top 10 seems like such a waste

so any chance that after his breakout performance and a bye week to game plan, will the Rams "feature" Austin a little bit more?

Wondering this.

The Rams really need him.
yeah im paying him over mike Wallace in one league with cooper on bye.

Hoping that Schotty JR & fisher realize what they have in the kid and get him some dump offs and screens after his nice performance vs Indy

High risk/high reward play. floor is a zero ceiling is week10 vs Indy.

shrug

In my opinion, Austin "earned" those 15 plays. St. Louis gave him a ton of snaps early in the season, and Austin was terrible with them, so St. Louis kept scaling back his workload. Hopefully the big game gives them a chance to start ramping up his usage again.

In my opinion, Austin "earned" those 15 plays. St. Louis gave him a ton of snaps early in the season, and Austin was terrible with them, so St. Louis kept scaling back his workload. Hopefully the big game gives them a chance to start ramping up his usage again.
Maybe it was the Rams who were doing something incorrectly.

sometimes coaches make football too hard.

Get your playmakers the ball.

Maybe. Tavon looked pretty bad to me.

sometimes coaches make football too hard.

Get your playmakers the ball.
BAM!

:goodposting:

Yes.

That this is what happens when

1. Austin doesn't drop the ball

2. They stop throwing him poorly-designed screens and start utilizing his speed on deep routes, both fly and slant

3. His large gains are not called back penalty
:goodposting: :hifive:

the 65 yard *RUSHING* TD...

example of what happens when OC uses him more creatively than in first half of the season...

and when TD isn't brought back due to penalty (it was predicted this could decrease with maturation of the youngest team in the league)...

* again, this was a 65 yard *RUSHING* TD...

lets not draw QB conclusions there like last week??

Yeah, that's a great point. That, plus the terrible routes he's charged with running are probably the 2 greatest contributors to his terrible production and efficiency. I still think he can become a useful WR, but I don't think he'll ever become as good as Desean Jackson. Even guys like Jackson and Santana Moss had more work as traditional WRs in college than Austin. Maybe he doesn't have the physical tools to make the 1st tackler miss immediately. I don't know if this is something that can be developed. Another reason I think he just can't avoid defenders at this level is that he has 31 receptions but only 12 first downs. The next WR with that few 1st downs has only 22 receptions (Mike Williams). He also has the 3rd more punt returns in the league (23) but only 90 yards. That's an average of less than 4 yards per return. Everyone else in the punt return leaders averages over 10 Austin also has far and away the shortest long return at 20 yards. No big plays from this guy. Guess how many players in NFL history had at least 40 punt returns but averaged under 5 yards per return? 1. Kevin Miller in 1978. Guess what Kevin Miller wasn't doing in 1980? Returning punts. Guess what Kevin Miller wasn't doing in 1981? Playing football. Maybe Austin just can't make plays in any aspect of the game.
1 - looks like he has the physical tools to make the first defender miss.

2 - looks like he can avoid defenders at this level.

3 - looks better than Kevin Miller.

4 - looks like he can make plays and be a game changer in nearly every aspect of the game... run, pass and ST.

* from first nested quote... maybe he did need to get acclimated to the league. he does look quicker.

it happens... he had to recalibrate angles for the greater speed of defenders at the next level, that process takes longer for some rookies than others...

austin with his fourth 50+ yard TD in past two games*.

has he even been touched on any of them?

with the 65 yard rushing TD against the bears on his first touch, that made a 50+ yard score on three consecutive offensive touches (including his two against IND two weeks ago, before the bye - not counting his first score, the 98 yard punt return score in the second quarter of that game)...

for the historians/statisticians, how common is it to do those two things?

* not sure if gales sayers is the only other player to do that in league history?

not sure about the three consecutive offensive touches one?

Bob Magaw said:
austin with his fourth 50+ yard TD in past two games*.

has he even been touched on any of them?

with the 65 yard rushing TD against the bears on his first touch, that made a 50+ yard score on three consecutive offensive touches (including his two against IND two weeks ago, before the bye - not counting his first score, the 98 yard punt return score in the second quarter of that game)...

for the historians/statisticians, how common is it to do those two things?

* not sure if gales sayers is the only other player to do that in league history?

not sure about the three consecutive offensive touches one?
Randy Moss scored a 50+ yard TD on three consecutive offensive touches against Dallas his rookie year.

Edit: He also scored a 49-yard TD the week before, which left him one yard shy of your "four 50+ yard TDs in two games" mark.

Raymond Barry had a 4-catch day that included TDs of 58, 62, and 70 yards, but I don't know where his fourth catch was (i.e. whether those were three consecutive touches or not). No long TDs the week before or after, though.

Quadry Ismael had TD receptions of 54, 59, and 76 yards in a single quarter. Don't know if they were consecutive touches, though (he had 6 receptions on the day). Had a 47-yard TD the next week, so he falls 3 yards short of your "four in two games" mark.

Sayers did indeed have 4 TDs of 50+ yards in two games during his rookie season. Jim Brown was the only other player I could find to achieve the "4 50+ yard TDs in two games" feat, with TD runs of 83, 80, 71, and 62 yards in back-to-back games. As I mentioned, though, Moss and Ismael both came within a yard or three of joining those three on the list.

Rotoworld:

Tavon Austin ranked second among Rams wide receivers in Week 12 snaps played, with 30.

Chris Givens led the way with 46 snaps. Brian Quick played 17, while Stedman Bailey and Austin Pettis both saw 10. The Rams are using a heavy receiver rotation that will translate to inconsistent production with Kellen Clemens at quarterback, but Austin will be the best fantasy bet in the group moving forward. Austin turned three Week 12 touches into 104 yards and a touchdown.

Source: Jim Thomas on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Tavon Austin ranked second among Rams wide receivers in Week 12 snaps played, with 30.

Chris Givens led the way with 46 snaps. Brian Quick played 17, while Stedman Bailey and Austin Pettis both saw 10. The Rams are using a heavy receiver rotation that will translate to inconsistent production with Kellen Clemens at quarterback, but Austin will be the best fantasy bet in the group moving forward. Austin turned three Week 12 touches into 104 yards and a touchdown.

Source: Jim Thomas on Twitter
Rams "heavy receiver rotation"? Inconsistent production is an understatement. The Rams are putting up ~40 points the last two games and yet all the WR are invisible except for Austin. And that is all predicated on him breaking a long TD (which of course he can do) but the music probably stops this week against the 49ers.

Raymond Barry had a 4-catch day that included TDs of 58, 62, and 70 yards, but I don't know where his fourth catch was (i.e. whether those were three consecutive touches or not). No long TDs the week before or after, though.

Quadry Ismael had TD receptions of 54, 59, and 76 yards in a single quarter. Don't know if they were consecutive touches, though (he had 6 receptions on the day). Had a 47-yard TD the next week, so he falls 3 yards short of your "four in two games" mark.

Sayers did indeed have 4 TDs of 50+ yards in two games during his rookie season. Jim Brown was the only other player I could find to achieve the "4 50+ yard TDs in two games" feat, with TD runs of 83, 80, 71, and 62 yards in back-to-back games. As I mentioned, though, Moss and Ismael both came within a yard or three of joining those three on the list.
thanks for the historical/statistical research...

i thought of another possible rookie WR landmark...

how often has a WR had a 3 TD (one of which was a ST score) and 2 TD game in their rookie season...

guessing it isn't too common even for RBs, but even more rare for WRs?

thanks for the historical/statistical research...

i thought of another possible rookie WR landmark...

how often has a WR had a 3 TD (one of which was a ST score) and 2 TD game in their rookie season...

guessing it isn't too common even for RBs, but even more rare for WRs?
Going to be much harder to do a comprehensive search on that one (I'd basically need to manually check every rookie with 5+ combined offensive and special teams TDs), but I can tell you right off the bat that the 3-TD/2-TD split isn't going to be at all uncommon, although adding the unique qualifier that one of the TDs in the 3-TD day has to be a special teams TD will narrow the field. I kind of feel like then we're just adding arbitrary specificity for the sake of adding specificity, though.

Users who are viewing this thread