What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Back to divisional round for 3rd time in 4 years (1 Viewer)

Kancey dominating. If Shaq or JTS could get hot there is a chance our front 7 could take us for a ride. Fingers crossed.
LIcht deserves credit for his consistent line-focused draft plan.
He has emphasized both lines.

Goedeke hasn’t had enough praise for his transition and quality play at RT. If we can address LG and Mauch makes a similar 2nd year leap they could be a top line in 2024.

Forgot they shut out Carolina. 9 points in 8 quarters is amazing, even if one team is barely an nfl team. Still counts. Hopefully they can get to Goff Sunday.

I always root for upsets once my favorite team is eliminated, but this is a tough one. It's so easy to want Campbell to succeed. Rooting for upsets usually leads to more disappointment but I'm used to it. So, Go Bucs. May you face the Packers at home next and be underdogs against Houston in the Super Bowl..

I always root for upsets once my favorite team is eliminated, but this is a tough one. It's so easy to want Campbell to succeed. Rooting for upsets usually leads to more disappointment but I'm used to it. So, Go Bucs. May you face the Packers at home next and be underdogs against Houston in the Super Bowl..
This is a fair enough way to choose. If I don't have a dog in the game I usually go with the dog also. I just hate boring blowouts, they remind me of early season college games.

Getting really excited for Sunday. I was thinking how most now consider Mike a hall of famer but this is the type of game where if he goes out and dominates it really locks it in. When he is up for consideration people will remember that time he dominated in the playoffs with an 8-loss team. He doesn’t usually have two bad games in a row so I hope he comes out and crushes on Sunday.

Getting really excited for Sunday. I was thinking how most now consider Mike a hall of famer but this is the type of game where if he goes out and dominates it really locks it in. When he is up for consideration people will remember that time he dominated in the playoffs with an 8-loss team. He doesn’t usually have two bad games in a row so I hope he comes out and crushes on Sunday.
Since you clearly follow the team closely, what do you think will be different from the first game? I see

* Detroit will have Gibbs
* Detroit will be playing at home

That last game wasn't close, and the Lions didn't even get a bunch of turnovers or sacks. They still won going away on the road. Not saying Tampa can't win, but what gives you confidence that they will win or at least have a great chance to win?

Since you clearly follow the team closely, what do you think will be different from the first game? I see

That last game wasn't close, and the Lions didn't even get a bunch of turnovers or sacks. They still won going away on the road. Not saying Tampa can't win, but what gives you confidence that they will win or at least have a great chance to win?
Bucs had two deep shots while the game was close that Baker just completely whiffed on. One to Palmer where he was 5 yards past the defense. This is what, 12-13 weeks ago? He’s way more comfortable with the offense now and if you are a Bucs fan you have to hope he hits that now. Lions secondary appears to be worse now from what I read.

Their two best pass rushers now either didn’t play at all (Kancey) or only a handful of snaps (Diaby). Kancey totally dominated the Eagles.

Finally, the Eagles dominated the Bucs in week 3. Didn’t matter. The Chiefs kicked their *** in the Super Bowl regular season. Didn’t matter. Regular season is irrelevant now. Thinking any of that matters now is just a lack of playoff experience. 😜

Not saying the Bucs win, just feel they have a good shot.

Bucs had two deep shots while the game was close that Baker just completely whiffed on. One to Palmer where he was 5 yards past the defense. This is what, 12-13 weeks ago? He’s way more comfortable with the offense now and if you are a Bucs fan you have to hope he hits that now. Lions secondary appears to be worse now from what I read.

Their two best pass rushers now either didn’t play at all (Kancey) or only a handful of snaps (Diaby). Kancey totally dominated the Eagles.

Finally, the Eagles dominated the Bucs in week 3. Didn’t matter. The Chiefs kicked their *** in the Super Bowl regular season. Didn’t matter. Regular season is irrelevant now. Thinking any of that matters now is just a lack of playoff experience. 😜

Not saying the Bucs win, just feel they have a good shot.
Lost to the Saints twice in 2020 too. Got rolled 38-3 at home in week 9. Then owned them in the divisional game on the road. The regular season is beyond meaningless.

Just looked at this thread and I guess I hadn't realized how successful Tampa has been recently. Of course I remember they won the SB but they have become perennial playoff contenders. That is a real well run organization. I hope your guys stay healthy today and make it all back to Tampa to enjoy that beautiful Florida sunshine next weekend.

Just looked at this thread and I guess I hadn't realized how successful Tampa has been recently. Of course I remember they won the SB but they have become perennial playoff contenders. That is a real well run organization. I hope your guys stay healthy today and make it all back to Tampa to enjoy that beautiful Florida sunshine next weekend.
Nobody respects us. We embrace it.

Looks like a beautiful weekend. Getting into the low 80s during the day. Nice weather to watch our Bucs kick the Hell out of the 49ers in the NFC Championship.

Looks like a beautiful weekend. Getting into the low 80s during the day. Nice weather to watch our Bucs kick the Hell out of the 49ers in the NFC Championship.
I think part of the recent lack of respect is the division. Carolina, Atlanta and New Orleans have been pretty bad and so it's become the "well someone has to win it" division. But that kind of hides how consistent the Bucs have been. Hopefully Baker has a reservation for next weekend on a nice deep sea fishing boat. Maybe Evans can take the family snorkeling Sunday afternoon. Just want to see those guys get some nice rest,relaxation and catch up with their families. They deserve it after such a hard fought season.

I think part of the recent lack of respect is the division. Carolina, Atlanta and New Orleans have been pretty bad and so it's become the "well someone has to win it" division. But that kind of hides how consistent the Bucs have been. Hopefully Baker has a reservation for next weekend on a nice deep sea fishing boat. Maybe Evans can take the family snorkeling Sunday afternoon. Just want to see those guys get some nice rest,relaxation and catch up with their families. They deserve it after such a hard fought season.
We’ll wait until the Super Bowl parade to break out the boats again thank you very much. 😉

Left a lot out there. Good season but that’s a disappointing ending. A 5 play drive for a TD right after you score to tie it at 17-17 is pretty sickening.
Three straight TD drives for them. Lions/Ben Johnson made adjustments. Just kept dragging that crosser into the middle of the field. We had no answers.

Missed FG and two unblocked sacks when we were in FG range.

We made the mistakes. They didn’t.

Looking forward to hopefully building on what they accomplished this offseason.

Did anyone ask Todd Bowles why they didn’t use their last timeout after the 3rd kneel down with 35 seconds left?
Wondering that on Bucs’ fan forums this morning.

I think we were all so deflated we didn’t notice at the time, but he had another timeout and they would have had to attempt a long FG or punt it.

I think there was a play where they took one, but there was an injured Lion so he didn’t have to use it. Maybe just forgot in the moment?

I think there was a play where they took one, but there was an injured Lion so he didn’t have to use it. Maybe just forgot in the moment?

I thought it was an injury but actually it was illegal contact or hands to the face (#24 tried to jam Josh Reynolds & hit him in the chin).

Ref announced bc there was a penalty, no charged time out.

It’s like BOTH teams didn’t know. Detroit was snapping their kneel downs with 15 seconds left on the play clock.

The FGA would have been 49 yards. Can’t believe TB didn’t make an effort for the block or one last Stanford band play. Crazy that both teams staffs misunderstood the situation.

Great season for you guys congrats
This. I was pretty meh on TB, as a team who only made the playoffs because they won the NFL's worst division, but they stomped Philly and were in a damn near 50-50 game with the Lions.

I'm still not sold on Mayfield being the guy at all, but there is a lot to build off of on this finish. Really impressed by what their OC pulled off with a lot of "unproven" guys this season. Also, as much hate as Bowles gets (bitter Jets fans?) I thought he did a solid job. This was supposed to be a team in purgatory without Brady, not talented enough to contend, and too talented to tank, and there they were 2-3 plays from the NFC title game.

Hopefully Winfield and especially Evans stay, which I would assume will happen.

I feel like Bowles should have been fired immediately after the game or at least the press conference. Knowingly sitting on a Timeout on a 4th down with 35 seconds left in an 8 point game is inexcusable... I cannot believe that there isn't more outrage in the media about this.

26th pick.
Ended up being a good year. It’s the belief that gets you. When they tied it 17-17 Sunday I thought we had that game. And then Detroit went down and scored in like 30 seconds lol.

Baker and Evans almost certainly will be back next year. Winfield will get tagged and then an extension.

I feel like the team needs:

- a pass rusher, desperately. This would unlock the defense. Bowles needs a guy who can get home in regular fashion. Shaq won’t be back. Yaya could be pretty good but JTS and Nelson are just guys.

- another receiving option. I’d like to see another tight end to go with Otton who could split the seam. Hopefully Palmer can take a leap into a reliable #2.

- another RB to go with White. White was waaaaaaaay better than I expected and I would assume he’ll be our RB for a while. What a great receiving option in space. This doesn’t have to be a high pick but just an upgrade over Edmonds.

- IOL needs to improve. Mauch will get better with another off-season. They will draft or sign a LG. Not sure Hainsey will be the starting center, he just seems like a backup to me.

- hopefully Lavonte comes back. I’d be a little surprised though.

- sounds like Canales may be gone. Didn’t love the offense and the second and long runs all year but for continuity sake it would be tough to lose him.

Last edited:
26th pick.
Ended up being a good year. It’s the belief that gets you. When they tied it 17-17 Sunday I thought we had that game. And then Detroit went down and scored in like 30 seconds lol.

Baker and Evans almost certainly will be back next year. Winfield will get tagged and then an extension.

I feel like the team needs:

- a pass rusher, desperately. This would unlock the defense. Bowles needs a guy who can get home in regular fashion. Shaq won’t be back. Yaya could be pretty good but JTS and Nelson are just guys.

- another receiving option. I’d like to see another tight end to go with Otton who could split the seam. Hopefully Palmer can take a leap into a reliable #2.

- another RB to go with White. White was waaaaaaaay better than I expected and I would assume he’ll be our RB for a while. What a great receiving option in space. This doesn’t have to be a high pick but just an upgrade over Edmonds.

- IOL needs to improve. Mauch will get better with another off-season. They will draft or sign a LG. Not sure Hainsey will be the starting center, he just seems like a backup to me.

- hopefully Lavonte comes back. I’d be a little surprised though.

- sounds like Canales may be gone. Didn’t love the offense and the second and long runs all year but for continuity sake it would be tough to lose him.
I am working on the Cap
I understand the Bucs have a lot of money at the moment, much of it is they just don't pay top dollar for a QB, that isn't likely to change but I see where Baker could command a $25M+ salary and a 2 year deal for around $50M with a way to get out for the Bucs in year 2 would seem the safe way to go. I could also see Baker just go all in for a fully guaranteed deal even for 1 year at say $25M and he could keep doing this like Cousins does and see how much he can get the Bucs to pay him to come back each year. Lot of risk on both sides. I do hope the Bucs don't get into the deep end with Baker. He was a great story but I never got excited about him taking the fields.

Speaking of Fields, I think the Bucs need to try and make a play for Justin Fields if at all possible. He has like $25M coming to him over the next 2 years and the Bears have not just the No 1 but another 1st Rd pick, perhaps they would like yet another, this is something the Bucs and I'm sure many other teams need to explore and think hard about.

What was once thought of as a potential QB rich class has started to turn and I read things that elude to the Top 150 in the '24 Draft as somewhat weak compared to other years. Trading down seems like a good idea so you aren't on the hook for a big investment, could also see the Bucs pushing '24 picks for better future picks in '25, look what the Bears did fleecing Carolina.

The guy presently that would count the most ATC next year is Godwin at Wide Receiver coming off another 1,000 yd season but very few TDs, some of that due to QB play over the last couple seasons but $27M and I can release him after June 1st and spread a $7M cap hit out over '24 and '25, or perhaps figure a way to work a trade, maybe just a simple salary base re-structure with more roster bonus but he cannot go into '24 with $27M cap hit, that's not smart and pulls dollars from other needs.

Carlton Davis $20M cap hit, similar to Godwin so between the 2 of them I can add at least $30M in cap space, and as I dig deeper it looks like both Godwin and Davis cannot be re-structured so again you might have to make some tough cuts to better the team. I would prefer they keep Mike Evans and keep developing Palmer, he looked explosive down the stretch.

And you can expect Shaq Barrett back in 2024, cost as much to cut him as it does to play him, don't see them parting ways yet Bucs still need a pass rusher, agree with you, perhaps even 2 of them.
Bucs can likely go to North of $75m-$80M in cap space and then figure out what they want to do at QB.

Yeah, it's being reported that Canales is gone. I have mixed feelings on that and right now, I don't think I like it.
Panthers to hire Bucs OC
He was worth something to the Bucs but c'mon, that is a weak hire for the Panthers IMHO and doesn't help them very much right now.
How often does ripping off a division rival's assistant coach and making them the head coach work out in the NFL?
Panthers have very little draft capital to be in as bad a shape as they are currently.
I don't think it matters who coaches Young but let them figure that out in a couple more years.
Saints are still lost and the Falcons are fielding calls for assistants by the owner no less, Blank will do anything to try and make his team look legit.

Improve the middle of the OL and find an RB2 that could push for RB1 time between the Tackles.
Learn from Detroit, help your fairly conservative minded head coach and create a Top 5 running game, especially if Baker is coming back
Derrick Henry is welcome on this team if he doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
He would take a lot of pressure off Baker and White who is more of a weapon out of the back field.

I would want to know who else was involved with the Offense and see about promoting from within and I don't have that list of names handy.
If the Bucs change directions at QB, that would change my opinion and I might look for a bigger name outside of the organization.

And you can expect Shaq Barrett back in 2024, cost as much to cut him as it does to play him, don't see them parting ways yet Bucs still need a pass rusher, agree with you, perhaps even 2 of them.
His contract is set up intentionally for a post June 1 cut so they can spread out the dead cap. He’s as gone as anybody has ever been. If he were better still they could find a way around it but he’s not and they won’t.

Carlton Davis $20M cap hit, similar to Godwin so between the 2 of them I can add at least $30M in cap space, and as I dig deeper it looks like both Godwin and Davis cannot be re-structured so again you might have to make some tough cuts to better the team.
Davis can be cut with little cap damage and probably will be. Godwin cannot be.

Part of Carolina's issue is I don't think they can land any top candidates. Who would want to work for Tepper who really seems to be the worst owner in the league now.

Part of Carolina's issue is I don't think they can land any top candidates. Who would want to work for Tepper who really seems to be the worst owner in the league now.
That's exactly the problem.
When the owner allows their ego to become the centerpiece of the team, things don't usually turn out very well.
The Glazers are rarely seen or heard from, probably for the best although 'm sure they are involved behind the curtains.

Did I hear Raheem Morris is going to be named Head Coach of the Atlanta Falcons?
-Another former Bucs HC/Asst that will now be a Division rival

Congrats to Raheem and I'm not too worried about Atlanta, not with that hiring as Head Coach.
Things are shaping up for 2024 already .

His contract is set up intentionally for a post June 1 cut so they can spread out the dead cap. He’s as gone as anybody has ever been. If he were better still they could find a way around it but he’s not and they won’t.
$14M cap hit for '24
$9.25M POST-June 1st to release him...and why would the Bucs want to spread this out over a couple years?
Miami has to eat $10M this season for Byron Jones-CB that's no longer in the NFL
I understand where you're coming from but they won't save that much and they already have a lot of money to spend,

-My gut says they figure a way to re-work his deal so he can help mentor the younger talent
He has a base of $1.2M next year, there's a $15M option bonus or something to make it look like $17M but we all know they can re-negotiate all of that
I wouldn't assume he is completely gone unless they go out and upgrade massively, just because the Bucs have money doesn't mean the right players will become availability

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread