What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl XLVI NY Giants vs. NE Patriots (1 Viewer)

Didn't see a thread in the last few pages.

Originally wanted to see the Pats face off against San Fran, as much as I would like the Pats to get revenge, the gritty NY team scares me a little. :scared:

I feel bad for Ravens fans, 2 key mistakes at the end of the game, 1 would have most likely gotten them the win, the other a chance for OT.

With both games coming down to the wire I expect this to be a good close game, key will be turn overs and if the Pats secondary can contain the NY receivers.

Pats 31

Giants 27

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure ESPN or NFLN has picked up on this by now, but I just noticed the Giants are the first Super Bowl participant ever to have a negative point differential in the regular season. Next worst was the 2008 Cardinals at +1.

The Giants are the NFL equivalent of the 7-7 fantasy team that got hot right at the end of the season and snuck into the playoffs but is nowhere near the best team over the course of the season. Scary thing is they might win.

I'm sure ESPN or NFLN has picked up on this by now, but I just noticed the Giants are the first Super Bowl participant ever to have a negative point differential in the regular season. Next worst was the 2008 Cardinals at +1.
Yeh but ... They are plus 42 in the playoffs and plus 74 in the last 5 games

The Giants are the NFL equivalent of the 7-7 fantasy team that got hot right at the end of the season and snuck into the playoffs but is nowhere near the best team over the course of the season. Scary thing is they might win.
Yeh ... Only they were 9-7 (could've easily been 11-5 if they were healthy or got a couple of breaks) and this isn't fantasy football,

Yeh ... Only they were 9-7 (could've easily been 11-5 if they were healthy or got a couple of breaks) and this isn't fantasy football,
Its like having your top fantasy players go down and came back in time for playoffs. They had the talent all year, seeing that they beat new England during the season. It just took until late season to get the pieces together.

The Pats are +87 in their last 5 games. Not sure either team has a huge advantage in the how-have-they-been-playing-recently category.

Rewatched their regular season meeting, and it still amazes me how bad Ocho is. Supposedly he is still on the team because he puts in a lot of effort. I just don't understand how great effort can produce such bad results with Brady at QB. If the Pats were to cut Chad and sign Moss for the Super Bowl, that would increase my concern with the Giants chances. I just think Moss couldn't do any worse.

Who would you liken the Patriots pass rush too more? 49ers, Packers, Falcons? From a sacks standpoint, they are better than GB and ATL, but not on the level of SF. Looks like they do get some decent pressure, but they sure did give up a lot of yards this year. Is this due to injuries, or green secondary that is improving over time?

If Eli can get that same pocket he had against Green Bay, I think it will be tough to contain the WR trio of Cruz, Nicks and Manningham.

This was the worst matchup possible to me. Either Belichick gets yet another ring, or New York with his hyper arrogant fans gets another ring. I honestly have no intentions of watching this game. I didn't watch the first Super Bowl between these two teams, for the same reasons. I won't go on and on about it. I don't even want to think about it. I just want to put football out of my mind for several months at this point.

This was the worst matchup possible to me. Either Belichick gets yet another ring, or New York with his hyper arrogant fans gets another ring. I honestly have no intentions of watching this game. I didn't watch the first Super Bowl between these two teams, for the same reasons. I won't go on and on about it. I don't even want to think about it. I just want to put football out of my mind for several months at this point.
What a bummer you missed what many consider the greatest Super Bowl ever.

Totally agree about how insufferable the next two weeks will be, whether it be the ESPN talking heads or the fans. The game itself, however, should be good and one nobody should miss. You should at least watch it on mute.

The Pats are +87 in their last 5 games. Not sure either team has a huge advantage in the how-have-they-been-playing-recently category.
The quality of the teams played is night and day ... plus Pats played 4 of the last 5 at home Giants 2 of 5 at home.I think the level of competition and doing this all on the road is a huge advantage for the Giants.The only thing that worries me is that Vegas doesn't agree

They had the talent all year, seeing that they beat new England during the season. It just took until late season to get the pieces together.
And they beat them in NE, this will be a neutral site. The wrong team may be favored?
Lets not ignore the fact that New England has won 10 straight games, has a superior QB, and a coach with more Superbowl experience.
But the last game they lost was still to the Giants with those same coaches & QBs. :shrug:

Gronk's dad says son has 'high ankle sprain'

January 27, 2012, 10:13 am

The father of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski says his son has a "high ankle sprain" and that he expects him to play in next Sunday's Super Bowl.

In a conversation with television station WIVB in Western New York, Gordie Gronkowski said, "I wake up every morning, and I can't believe what's happening. I pick up the New York Times, and here Robbie's in the New York Times, hes got a half page in the New York Times. I pick up our paper and Robbie's picture is here and there. I turn on ESPN, he's all over ESPN Sports Center."

The elder Gronkowski also told WIVB sports reporter John Murphy off camera that his son suffered a high ankle sprain.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/post/Gronks-dad-says-son-has-high-ankle-sprai?blockID=639566&feedID=3352&awid=9013106070790501903-932

WNYer proud of son going to Super Bowl

Updated: Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012, 5:30 PM EST

Published : Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012, 5:30 PM EST

WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WIVB) - A native son is gearing up for the Super Bowl, and Rob Gronkowski's family couldn't be more proud.

Last year, western New Yorkers rooted for Niagara Falls native James Starks when the Packers won the Super Bowl. This year, Amherst native Rob Gronkowski of the Patriots is in the big game.

The Gronkowski's have become the first family of western New York football, with three brothers in the NFL. And their dad, Gordy Gronkowski, who owns G & G Fitness stores, takes great pride in his son's accomplishments.

"It's unbelievable. Every week in my life right now, it's just so unbelievable. I wake up every morning, and I can't believe what's happening. I pick up the New York Times, and here Robbie's in the New York Times, hes got a half page in the New York Times. I pickk up our paper and Robbie's picture is here and there. I turn on ESPN, he's all over ESPN Sports Center. Every time I turn something on now, he's on, it's just so crazy," said Gordy.

22-year-old Rob Gronkowski has helped lead New England to Super Bowl XLVI and Gordy is ready to make the trip to the game next week. Gordy says his second-youngest son has grown up a lot since being drafted by the Patriots two years ago. And he's handling all the attention of a Super Bowl appearance very well.

"Every day he gets more mature, and it's great to see. He's only 22-years-old. To see him handling all this that's coming at him, it's just amazing what's come on here the last few weeks," said Gordy.

Gordy says Rob suffered a high ankle sprain in the AFC Championship game last Sunday. But he says with two weeks to go until the Super Bowl, he expects his son will be fine for the game.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_nfl/wnyer-proud-of-son-going-to-super-bowl

---------------------------------------------------------

I expect the Giants to still plan like Gronk is healthy and have contingency plans if he's limited or can't go.

They had the talent all year, seeing that they beat new England during the season. It just took until late season to get the pieces together.
And they beat them in NE, this will be a neutral site. The wrong team may be favored?
Lets not ignore the fact that New England has won 10 straight games, has a superior QB, and a coach with more Superbowl experience.
But the last game they lost was still to the Giants with those same coaches & QBs. :shrug:
The Giants had lost to the Niners earlier in the season too. How good of a predictor did that turn out to be? People put too much weight on the one game they already played against each other.

I think this is a great matchup. Giants front 4 against Brady is going to be huge. If they can't put consistent pressure on him Brady will pick the secondary apart IMO. Doesn't have to be 50 yd plays, he's as good as it comes at taking 15 yarders and going right down the field and scoring.

Eli deserves a ton of credit this year for carrying the team, but he won't be able to do it alone against NE. If the defense can't at least pressure Brady, I think NE wins.

The quality of the teams played is night and day ... plus Pats played 4 of the last 5 at home Giants 2 of 5 at home.I think the level of competition and doing this all on the road is a huge advantage for the Giants.The only thing that worries me is that Vegas doesn't agree
3 of last five at home for the Giants I know the Jets were "technically" the home team in that game Anyway should be a great game hope that Vegas is wrong and the Giants win the gameGo Giants!!

Yup, that was a pretty bad argument.

The Giants had lost to the Niners earlier in the season too. How good of a predictor did that turn out to be? People put too much weight on the one game they already played against each other.
Giants were missing a few key players the first time the met.By the way they were missing Bradsaw and Nicks the first time they faced the Pats.

The quality of the teams played is night and day ... plus Pats played 4 of the last 5 at home Giants 2 of 5 at home.

I think the level of competition and doing this all on the road is a huge advantage for the Giants.

The only thing that worries me is that Vegas doesn't agree
Vegas seems to be missing the mark this playoff season as favorites are only 6-4 SU(4-6 ATS). I think most years the SU number is closer to 80% for the favorites. As we get closer to the game, I think the spread will approach a pick'em.

The quality of the teams played is night and day ... plus Pats played 4 of the last 5 at home Giants 2 of 5 at home.I think the level of competition and doing this all on the road is a huge advantage for the Giants.

The only thing that worries me is that Vegas doesn't agree
Correction: Vegas doesn't think the public will agree. Of course looking at how the lines moved, looks like there were wrong there too.

The Pats beat the Giants in their house, then lost the Super Bowl last time. Comparing regular season to post season is irreverent. This game is just a tad more important.

If the Pats can't get off the field on 3rd downs, they are going to be in big trouble. I think they need to rush four every down, and get good. constant production from the Law Firm when on offense.

Should be a great game.

They were fortunate enough to play Denver in one of those games, though, which accounted for +35. I think it's safe to say the Giants have had a much more difficult stretch run. The Giants last 2 opponents had a combined regular season record of 28-4.

'thatguy said:
They were fortunate enough to play Denver in one of those games, though, which accounted for +35. I think it's safe to say the Giants have had a much more difficult stretch run. The Giants last 2 opponents had a combined regular season record of 28-4.
liars, damn liars, and then statisticians 2011 Playoffs

Pass O 3rd NE

Pass O 4th NY

Rush O 6th NE

Rush O 7th NY

-----------------

Rush D 6th NY

Rush D 7th NE

Pass D 3rd NE

Pass D 4th NY

Patriots edge NY out in 3 out of 4 categories, you can slice numbers anyway you want :shrug:

'thatguy said:

Pass O 3rd NE

Pass O 4th NY

Rush O 6th NE

Rush O 7th NY

-----------------

Rush D 6th NY

Rush D 7th NE

Pass D 3rd NE

Pass D 4th NY

Patriots edge NY out in 3 out of 4 categories, you can slice numbers anyway you want :shrug:
Uh, one of the Patriots two games was against the overmatched, 8-8 Broncos. Meanwhile, the combined record of the Giants three postseason opponents is 38-10.

The Giants have looked far better in the playoffs than the Patriots have, plain and simple. That doesn't mean they will win the Super Bowl, just saying is all. The Giants winning by 17 AT Green Bay was far more impressive than the Patriots beating up on the overmatched Broncos at home. Now, NE was obviously the far better regular season team, which is why they didn't have to deal with as tough a playoff schedule, but it's all called perspective.

'thatguy said:

Pass O 3rd NE

Pass O 4th NY

Rush O 6th NE

Rush O 7th NY

-----------------

Rush D 6th NY

Rush D 7th NE

Pass D 3rd NE

Pass D 4th NY

Your post and my post have nothing in common. You proved nothing.

New England has 4 turnovers in that game, Brady threw for 340 yards but had two picks. I'm pretty sure the Pats look back on that game and feel real good about their ability to move the ball against NY next week. Just a guess but I think Eli falls back to earth next Sunday and has at least 2 turnovers. His tires are really getting pumped as a great clutch QB and perhaps now the best QB in the Manning family. It all sets up for Eli to have an epic fail and settle back down into his place as a very good but not great QB that is apt to throw ill-timed picks.

New England has 4 turnovers in that game, Brady threw for 340 yards but had two picks. I'm pretty sure the Pats look back on that game and feel real good about their ability to move the ball against NY next week. Just a guess but I think Eli falls back to earth next Sunday and has at least 2 turnovers. His tires are really getting pumped as a great clutch QB and perhaps now the best QB in the Manning family. It all sets up for Eli to have an epic fail and settle back down into his place as a very good but not great QB that is apt to throw ill-timed picks.
He just hit up one of the best defenses in the NFL for 300+ and 2TD's, on the road for a second straight week, in absolutely disgusting weather. The one thing about Eli is that no matter what, you really cant "pump his tires". He is one of the most humble individuals whether he is winning or getting absolutely destroyed, and a road win at GB/SF is not going to change him one bit. I think this one is going to be a close game because I believe equally in Brady, and his ability to move his offense. That being said, expect another 300/2 out of OUR Manning!!GO BIG BLUE!!!!

Pats O-line will almost neutralize the Giants front 4. Anyone remember T-Sizzle?

The question is if the Giants will be able to take advantage of the Pats weak passing D.. and if Brady brings his "A" game or not.

If Brady plays like a bum as he did vs. the Ravens then the Giants will take it. Giants won't drop the game winning catch or mis a 32 yarder.

If the Patriots defense slows the Giants passing game then the Pats win easy. Pats D have actually been playing pretty well the last several games.

I expect the latter.

Brady rarely has 2 stinkers in a row.

Pats 38

Giants 27

'thatguy said:

Pass O 3rd NE

Pass O 4th NY

Rush O 6th NE

Rush O 7th NY

-----------------

Rush D 6th NY

Rush D 7th NE

Pass D 3rd NE

Pass D 4th NY

Uh, one of the Patriots two games was against the overmatched, 8-8 Broncos. Meanwhile, the combined record of the Giants three postseason opponents is 38-10.

The Giants have looked far better in the playoffs than the Patriots have, plain and simple. That doesn't mean they will win the Super Bowl, just saying is all. The Giants winning by 17 AT Green Bay was far more impressive than the Patriots beating up on the overmatched Broncos at home. Now, NE was obviously the far better regular season team, which is why they didn't have to deal with as tough a playoff schedule, but it's all called perspective.
Green Bay played an awful game against the Giants. The dropped passes were unforced for the most part; the Giants had little pressure on Rodgers in the first qtr (and that is not a stellar O-line in GB); Eli's Hail Mary was an equally good catch/bad defense to Evans' bad catch/good defense; Williams' mis-play on the punt was a horrendous Special Teams blunder. The Giants took advantage of all the bad plays to make their way to Indianapolis and that can't be discounted; Eli was the man in taking the pounding he did against the 49ers. But it is disingenuous to say they weren't helped by errors the teams they played made at critical times during the two playoff games; just as the Pats did.If we are lucky both teams will play well and we won't be talking about missed chip shot field goals, dropped passes, special team blunders, and poor coaching when the game has ended next Sunday night.

The Pats have been playing without their starting center and right tackle for most of the season and they lost Mike Wright and Marvin Pryor (two important pieces in their D-line rotation) for the season as well.

This should be a great one......

'thatguy said:

Pass O 3rd NE

Pass O 4th NY

Rush O 6th NE

Rush O 7th NY

-----------------

Rush D 6th NY

Rush D 7th NE

Pass D 3rd NE

Pass D 4th NY

Your post and my post have nothing in common. You proved nothing.
:lmao: read again

Who had the #1 rushing offense in the NFL in the regular season? Your post comments on team records and discounts the Broncos as an opponent in the playoffs. My post comments on your post and how if you spin stats anyway you like you can arrive at a delusional outcome. I think my reply to your post was spot on.

Mark Herzlich Twitter:

"2 yrs ago I was told I might never walk again. Just WALKED off plane in Indy to play in The #SuperBowl. #TakeThatSh*tCancer"

:thumbup: Hope he gets to play.

As much as I dispise both teams i'm not going to let that deny me from watching what could be another epic football game. I'll take the stinkin Giants to win 31-28. I truly believe who evers offense has the ball last in the 4th quarter scores the winning drive.

I wonder how many people "get" this photo, is it strictly a New England thing?http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4521/image001vcg.jpg
In New Hampshire, there used to be a rock formation called the old man in the mountain, which basically was a rock formation that looked like a face (which looked similar to the Pats logo). The formation crumbled and fell apart a few years ago, so it's no longer there. So yes, it's a New England thing.

I wonder how many people "get" this photo, is it strictly a New England thing?http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4521/image001vcg.jpg
In New Hampshire, there used to be a rock formation called the old man in the mountain, which basically was a rock formation that looked like a face (which looked similar to the Pats logo). The formation crumbled and fell apart a few years ago, so it's no longer there. So yes, it's a New England thing.
*cough* yeah I know, I wonder how many (not from New England) knew what it was. I guess I should have been more clear in my post.

Anyone think crowd might have an effect on the game? I know that usual Super Bowl crowds are Milquetoast but I can't imagine any Colts fans rooting for the evil empire and against Peyton's little brother.

Giants 34 Pats 24

Anyone think crowd might have an effect on the game? I know that usual Super Bowl crowds are Milquetoast but I can't imagine any Colts fans rooting for the evil empire and against Peyton's little brother.Giants 34 Pats 24
Will not be a "local" crowd, so it will be mixed.

Anyone think crowd might have an effect on the game? I know that usual Super Bowl crowds are Milquetoast but I can't imagine any Colts fans rooting for the evil empire and against Peyton's little brother.Giants 34 Pats 24
Will not be a "local" crowd, so it will be mixed.
Also at $2k per ticket, I don't think you'll get your average rowdy joe-6-pack at the game either.

Anyone think crowd might have an effect on the game? I know that usual Super Bowl crowds are Milquetoast but I can't imagine any Colts fans rooting for the evil empire and against Peyton's little brother.

Giants 34 Pats 24
I didn't know the Yankees were playing the Giants?Anywho, my gift to FBGs...

I think I smell one of those classic clunkers that Eli has from time to time. Sure he has gotten better as the season went on this year, but he had some ugly games too, weeks 15/16 he was terrible in case anybody has forgotten...this will put him back in his place under his brother, probably rightfully so at that all things considered.

I continue to laugh at people who act like a team beating the Patriots twice in one season is unheard of, like Belichick is too smart to allow himself to lose a team twice in one season. These people obviously have short memories:

2005: Patriots lost to the Broncos in the regular season and the playoffs

2006: Patriots lost to the Colts in the regular season and the playoffs

2010: Patriots lost to the Jets in the regular season (beating them once as well) and the playoffs

Users who are viewing this thread