What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Super Bowl LVIII - San Francisco 49'ers 14-5 vs Kansas City Chiefs 14-6*** (+2, 47.5) Chiefs are World Champions 25-22 in Overtime (1 Viewer)

Any Chiefs fans care to comment on how the Chiefs turned it around? All year, they were the definition of a lackluster team, and then seemingly turned it all around for the playoffs. Was this playoff resurgence expected? Did they have people injured who came back for the playoffs, or was this just a case of a veteran team figuring it out at the right time?
The defense has been pretty healthy all year long, so what we are seeing there is not new. They have carried this team all season.

As I mentioned upthread, the offense is a turd. They have looked good in spurts this postseason but they are not fixed. The main thing there is they have not turned the ball over. And Mahomes is willing to play for the punt because he knows the defense is solid. He has admitted this in interviews over the past few weeks.

And Reid is calling things ultra conservative right now. So him realizing he doesn't have playmakers has helped. But I will wanna see him play into that more. Call more play action. More slants and crossing patterns. More delayed screens and such. And then go for the home run downfield when it's there.

If he does THAT, the Chiefs are dangerous. But they simply cannot turtle up in the second half and expect the Niners to not move the ball. Shanahan is way too accomplished and in tune with his offense to let that happen.

I think at the end of the day in two weeks the Niners win because the Chiefs offense simply couldn't score when they needed to.

Thanks, I always try to find order in the chaos of the NFL playoffs. On paper, this year was the year to predict the chalk in the Superbowl, Bal vs SF. The Chiefs just beat the #3 all time DVOA team on the road, and the #6 all time DVOA team, the 49ers, needed 2 comebacks and a lot of luck to make it to the Superbowl.

When you look at the statistical criteria past Superbowl teams have had, the Chiefs have almost none of them. Things like high scoring margin, turnover margin (they were -11!!!!). Just shows how much defense, veteran coaching, and QB play matters, which is why I disagree with you and think the Chiefs eek out a win.

Any Chiefs fans care to comment on how the Chiefs turned it around? All year, they were the definition of a lackluster team, and then seemingly turned it all around for the playoffs. Was this playoff resurgence expected? Did they have people injured who came back for the playoffs, or was this just a case of a veteran team figuring it out at the right time?
The defense has been pretty healthy all year long, so what we are seeing there is not new. They have carried this team all season.

As I mentioned upthread, the offense is a turd. They have looked good in spurts this postseason but they are not fixed. The main thing there is they have not turned the ball over. And Mahomes is willing to play for the punt because he knows the defense is solid. He has admitted this in interviews over the past few weeks.

And Reid is calling things ultra conservative right now. So him realizing he doesn't have playmakers has helped. But I will wanna see him play into that more. Call more play action. More slants and crossing patterns. More delayed screens and such. And then go for the home run downfield when it's there.

If he does THAT, the Chiefs are dangerous. But they simply cannot turtle up in the second half and expect the Niners to not move the ball. Shanahan is way too accomplished and in tune with his offense to let that happen.

I think at the end of the day in two weeks the Niners win because the Chiefs offense simply couldn't score when they needed to.
Saying you have no playmakers in an offense with Pacheco, Kelce, and Rice is kinda wild.

We have a big enough sample size at this point to say that Pacheco and Rice can be gamechangers.

Put the house on KC.

Shanahan will never get past his SB demons.
Agreed. No chance.
Nah. You know and I know the Niners are the better team on paper and all around.

They are just so explosive and to be honest the Chiefs offense is still crap. It's been a fairy tail run for the Chiefs up until now but the niners are better this time and will have that revenge factor. I love my Chiefs and am happy to be here but the niners look primed to take it.
Before I address your points, I'd like to say you're a top notch poster with excellent points and you always make a lot of sense. I enjoy reading your literature on this forum. I believe you're an excellent human being as well, and I wish you a ton of success in life.

With that out of the way, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this post. I'll state my case here:

1) Shanny is a choker. He choked in ATL, he choked the last time these teams met in the SB, and he has choked in the last couple of NFCC games. Furthermore, he almost choked against a first year starter and the youngest roster in the NFL versus GB, and than against the Lions. While they are both respectable teams, they aren't Mahomes battle tested.

2) To my first point Mahomes >>>>> Purdy

3) While our defense is superior in talent to the Chiefs defense, it means nothing when we have arguably the worst DC in the NFL who doesn't know how to use them. Spags >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wilks

4) Back to the first point; Reid >>>>> Shanny

5) And if it comes down to it; Butker >>>>> Moody

The betting population moved this line 2 points in the matter of hours, everyone knows KC wins this game. It will be another championship for upstanding people such as Jackson Mahomes, Taylor Swift, and Mr. Pfizer.

Candidly, I don't even think they should play the game as we all already know the outcome. I'd like to congratulate you on B2B championships and another awesome season. So congrats on the excellent SB Championship Season!

Saying you have no playmakers in an offense with Pacheco, Kelce, and Rice is kinda wild.

We have a big enough sample size at this point to say that Pacheco and Rice can be gamechangers.
I know, right?

I just feel like Reid just hasn't figured out the right balance yet with these guys.

I know, right?

I just feel like Reid just hasn't figured out the right balance yet with these guys.
I'd say he has, being that they're in another Super Bowl. Best yet to come in a little under 2 weeks!

Before I address your points, I'd like to say you're a top notch poster with excellent points and you always make a lot of sense. I enjoy reading your literature on this forum. I believe you're an excellent human being as well, and I wish you a ton of success in life.

With that out of the way, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this post. I'll state my case here:

1) Shanny is a choker. He choked in ATL, he choked the last time these teams met in the SB, and he has choked in the last couple of NFCC games. Furthermore, he almost choked against a first year starter and the youngest roster in the NFL versus GB, and than against the Lions. While they are both respectable teams, they aren't Mahomes battle tested.

3) While our defense is superior in talent to the Chiefs defense, it means nothing when we have arguably the worst DC in the NFL who doesn't know how to use them. Spags >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wilks

The betting population moved this line 2 points in the matter of hours, everyone knows KC wins this game. It will be another championship for upstanding people such as Jackson Mahomes, Taylor Swift, and Mr. Pfizer.

Candidly, I don't even think they should play the game as we all already know the outcome. I'd like to congratulate you on B2B championships and another awesome season. So congrats on the excellent SB Championship Season!
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. It's hard these days to have a good debate on a message board with mutual respect for the other person. Which I have for you and your team.

Shanahan surely has learned from his mistakes. And now he has a QB in Purdy who doesn't have to be Mahomes. He just has to be better than Garappolo was in that last Super Bowl. And your running game scheme is FAR superior to the Chiefs and actually attacks an achilles heal of our defense.

Jackson Mahomes is a big butthole - I think we can both agree on that and I would love to never speak of that turd again.

But I said earlier this year that I thought the Niners were the best team overall and will win this thing. I still believe that.

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. It's hard these days to have a good debate on a message board with mutual respect for the other person. Which I have for you and your team.

Shanahan surely has learned from his mistakes. And now he has a QB in Purdy who doesn't have to be Mahomes. He just has to be better than Garappolo was in that last Super Bowl. And your running game scheme is FAR superior to the Chiefs and actually attacks an achilles heal of our defense.

Jackson Mahomes is a big butthole - I think we can both agree on that and I would love to never speak of that turd again.

But I said earlier this year that I thought the Niners were the best team overall and will win this thing. I still believe that.
I agree that they are the most talented team in the NFL player for player, but most talented doesn't equal best team. The Niners are more talented, the Chiefs are the better team. Better teams win the big games.

I feel like a couple of Brady/Patriots teams did similar. KC is calling a great defense right now.

I have a very strong opinion on this one.
I will be checking the furniture for any loose change.
And will be putting it all on The Chiefs straight up.
Andy figured out what to do about his less than stellar wide receiver group.
He's been running more three tight end sets.
I think The Chiefs just faced the best defense in the league and did just enough while their defense continued to play very well.
I think The Chiefs win outright and if their wide receivers continue to hold onto passes they win easily...in NFL terms.
It's a lock for me...

Kansas City Chiefs- 34
San Francisco Forty Niners- 23

Put the house on KC.

Agreed. No chance.
Nah. You know and I know the Niners are the better team on paper and all around.

They are just so explosive and to be honest the Chiefs offense is still crap. It's been a fairy tail run for the Chiefs up until now but the niners are better this time and will have that revenge factor. I love my Chiefs and am happy to be here but the niners look primed to take it.

Point 1 is idiotic crap

Could Kelce been any more cringe in his post game speech thingy? He's become so easy to hate since Mahomes got there.

The Chiefs are already more annoying than the Patriots ever were.
He’s such a tool. His brother inherited all the likable qualities apparently.
Chiefs were kind of a cool team when Mahomes was humble and Kelce was just another guy who Mahomes threw the ball to.

GO NINERS!
Agreed, the new Mahomes that constantly whines for flags he usually gets is another angle that grates on me.

I love Andy but he’s got his already. I also think the Purdy story is pretty cool.

Am I the only one who is talking about Christian McCaffrey? I saw this posted by someone else on another thread, but, every time the 49ers have run the ball 30 times, they're undefeated. CMC is definitely the one piece the 49ers didn't have when they went against the Chiefs four years ago. The one thing the Ravens didn't do that the 49ers WILL do is run the ball. I see CMC getting at least 25 carries for at least 100 yards and 2 TDs. I think the Chiefs' run defense is going to get smoked. He's definitely the odds on favorite to win Offensive Player of the Year at NFL Honors. Not only that, but I have him winning Super Bowl MVP. When was the last time a running back was named Super Bowl MVP? I don't think it's happened since Super Bowl XXXII, when Terrell Davis won it for the Broncos. I'm saying this right now: If the 49ers do win, it won't be because of Brock Purdy, but because of CMC.

Am I the only one who is talking about Christian McCaffrey? I saw this posted by someone else on another thread, but, every time the 49ers have run the ball 30 times, they're undefeated. CMC is definitely the one piece the 49ers didn't have when they went against the Chiefs four years ago. The one thing the Ravens didn't do that the 49ers WILL do is run the ball. I see CMC getting at least 25 carries for at least 100 yards and 2 TDs. I think the Chiefs' run defense is going to get smoked. He's definitely the odds on favorite to win Offensive Player of the Year at NFL Honors. Not only that, but I have him winning Super Bowl MVP. When was the last time a running back was named Super Bowl MVP? I don't think it's happened since Super Bowl XXXII, when Terrell Davis won it for the Broncos. I'm saying this right now: If the 49ers do win, it won't be because of Brock Purdy, but because of CMC.
PREACH!

Although I don't see KCs defense getting smoked, I do think the 49ers can win as long as they run run and then run some more. Gotta keep Mahomes on the sideline and limit his chances.

PREACH!

Although I don't see KCs defense getting smoked, I do think the 49ers can win as long as they run run and then run some more. Gotta keep Mahomes on the sideline and limit his chances.
I just checked on Wikipedia, and only seven times has an RB been named Super Bowl MVP. Here's the list:

Larry Csonka (Super Bowl VIII)

Franco Harris (Super Bowl IX)

John Riggins (Super Bowl XVII)

Marcus Allen (Super Bowl XVIII)

Ottis Anderson (Super Bowl XXV)

Emmitt Smith (Super Bowl XXVIII)

Terrell Davis (Super Bowl XXXII)

I saw this posted by someone else on another thread, but, every time the 49ers have run the ball 30 times, they're undefeated.
That was me, but I was including QB runs (which are usually improvised and not designed runs), so I took those out...so without QB runs, the number is 23 RB/WR/TE/FB carries. They have ran it fewer than 23 times a couple of games and won, but every time theyve had 23+ runs, theyve won. Here's their called carries per week. I hope Shanahan sees this and calls a good game against KC.

Wk: runs
01: 29
02: 25
03: 35
04: 28
05: 40
06: 22 L
07: 17 L
08: 17 L
10: 27
11: 26
12: 30
13: 25
14: 20
15: 23
16: 16 L
17: 18
18: 22 L

20: 18 vs Green Bay
21: 28 vs Detroit

The fact that Taylor Swift is able to trigger so many grown men is one of the funniest things to happen in football in a long time. I truly believe we are living in the end times.
Kind of agree. She doesn’t bug me but the attention on Kelce has increased a thousand fold and seeing that twit everywhere is kind of annoying. But he’s taking advantage of a money making opportunity so capitalism at its finest.

Thanks, I always try to find order in the chaos of the NFL playoffs. On paper, this year was the year to predict the chalk in the Superbowl, Bal vs SF. The Chiefs just beat the #3 all time DVOA team on the road, and the #6 all time DVOA team, the 49ers, needed 2 comebacks and a lot of luck to make it to the Superbowl.

When you look at the statistical criteria past Superbowl teams have had, the Chiefs have almost none of them. Things like high scoring margin, turnover margin (they were -11!!!!). Just shows how much defense, veteran coaching, and QB play matters, which is why I disagree with you and think the Chiefs eek out a win.

I’d say biggest thing in the playoffs is they’ve stopped beating themselves. MVS actually caught that ball to end the Ravens chances for example, he dropped multiple game winners during the regular season. The Chiefs have won the turnover battle in playoffs but were negative in-season (same thing happened last season too when they were like 30th in the turnover differential in-season.) They’ve gone much more conservative on offense as they are way more confident in a stellar defense (I’d argue too conservative in the 2nd half against Balt) and not trying to push things too hard with their underachieving WR’s. I honestly feel they basically were coasting much of the regular season trying more trick and gadget plays, trying to get the other WRs involved and see who emerged, and letting Kelce rest for the playoffs. Now they are leaning on him and sticking to more high percentage passes along with leaning on the run game and limiting turnovers as best they can.

The fact that Taylor Swift is able to trigger so many grown men is one of the funniest things to happen in football in a long time. I truly believe we are living in the end times.
Kind of agree. She doesn’t bug me but the attention on Kelce has increased a thousand fold and seeing that twit everywhere is kind of annoying. But he’s taking advantage of a money making opportunity so capitalism at its finest.
I am not saying Travis Kelce is Michael Jordan, but MJ was everywhere in the 90s. Even if you weren't watching basketball, he was difficult to avoid. This is what happens when a sports star or musician becomes a megastar who becomes a part of popular culture as well.

This is the first time i can remember not caring about whos in the SB and have no interest in watching .
Could be that its in Vegas and the Raiders are watching hated rivals competing for the Trophy in their back yard .

This is the first time i can remember not caring about whos in the SB and have no interest in watching .
Could be that its in Vegas and the Raiders are watching hated rivals competing for the Trophy in their back yard .
49ers logo in one end zone and Chiefs in the other can’t be easy for Las Vegas fans to see on their home field

This will be the first SB since 2019 that I'll watch. Have had zero interest in the last 3. I went to the Covid SB in Tampa but didn't really pay attention to the game, it was more about partying for us.

Put the house on KC.

Agreed. No chance.

:popcorn:

The NFL wants nothing more than to see Taylor Swift hoisting the Lombardi with Kelce on the field after they win.

Anyone betting on SF is living dangerously.

SF is in deep trouble in this game. The defense is absolute hot garbage. The Chiefs and Mahones are going to run all over them and when they do pass Mahones is probably going to stand there untouched allowing his mediocre wrs to run wild. I can't see how the 49ers even stay close honestly

Chiefs 24- 10

I'm not a fan, but they don't seem all that different. It's not like teams were blowing them out, or they lost half their games. They weren't even lackluster, except when compared to their previous standard. They just looked beatable for a change. And not just in the "any given Sunday" way. They were a great team, but they didn't dominate.

They seemed beatable in Buffalo, and beatable in Baltimore. They just happened to win those games. I think it makes the SB more exciting, because SF can beat them. Whether they will or not is a different story, of course.

Can we talk about Taylor in here please?

That thread was fun yesterday and I need my fix.
He was such a great drummer. I thought the Foo Fighters were done when he died, but they're not!
Foo Fighters were formed in 94.
Same year 49ers won their last Super Bowl. Jesus. Where did that 30 years go? Seems like yesterday that Nirvana and Pearl Jam hit the scene.

Which fanbase is more pessimistic about their team’s chances?
49ers and it's not even close. FantasyCurse42 and Wingnut are in a class by themselves when it comes to pessimism about their favorite team. Too much to overcome for any real serious competition :popcorn:

49ers and it's not even close. FantasyCurse42 and Wingnut are in a class by themselves when it comes to pessimism about their favorite team. Too much to overcome for any real serious competition :popcorn:
I'm not really a pessimist, I just get pissed during games when the team or Kyle do dumb crap and they don't play like they're capable of, and then voice my displeasure in profanity filled rants. I'm always fine the next day.

Been a die hard since 1981. Not going anywhere, even though some might question my loyalty based on those earlier mentioned rants, but they're just my way of blowing off steam.

I'm not really a pessimist, I just get pissed during games when the team or Kyle do dumb crap and they don't play like they're capable of, and then voice my displeasure in profanity filled rants. I'm always fine the next day.

Been a die hard since 1981. Not going anywhere, even though some might question my loyalty based on those earlier mentioned rants, but they're just my way of blowing off steam.
I know. Just teasing you.

I just watch games differently these days. Used to get pissed a lot more but it was kind of ruining the experience and although it took a couple decades or so, I eventually figured out that it wasn't helping and had zero effect on the outcome. Was watching the game with my son and a couple friends Sunday and the 49ers were so bad the first half that I couldn't even get mad. All of us are diehards, but it was kind of a quiet "WTF" is going on vibe. Oddly enough, I had a feeling they were going to bounce back and at least make a game of it. A break on the pass to Aiyuk off the DBs facemask and then Gibbs fumbling and they make up the 17 points in about 10 minutes.

Good times :hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread