What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suggestions for home exercise routines? (1 Viewer)

PlayaHata

Footballguy
Looking for home exercise routines/programs that are

• Inexpensive
  • Don't require a ton of equipment
  • Can be done by both my wife and me
  • Wide variety of workouts - cardio, strength, etc.
Main goals are just to get in shape and hopefully lose a few pounds, although neither of us would be considered obese.  We currently don't exercise at all other than sporadic neighborhood walks.

Google hits are for things like P90X (might be too intense for my wife) or subscription based programs like Daily Burn, Nike Training Club, and Beach Body.  I also found a free YouTube channel called Fitness Blender that seems pretty popular.

Any recommendations for these or similar programs that have worked for you?

Looking for home exercise routines/programs that are

• Inexpensive
  • Don't require a ton of equipment
  • Can be done by both my wife and me
  • Wide variety of workouts - cardio, strength, etc.
Main goals are just to get in shape and hopefully lose a few pounds, although neither of us would be considered obese.  We currently don't exercise at all other than sporadic neighborhood walks.

Google hits are for things like P90X (might be too intense for my wife) or subscription based programs like Daily Burn, Nike Training Club, and Beach Body.  I also found a free YouTube channel called Fitness Blender that seems pretty popular.

Any recommendations for these or similar programs that have worked for you?
beachbody subscription model has a little mix of everything.  Some with and without equipment.  

I've done fitness blender and liked it. I think you need to find the right tone of the instructor and I like fb. Not over the top but still encouraging. I think their YouTube videos are free and you have to subscribe to get on a calendar plan. 

They have videos that will kick your ### with body weight only but also low key stuff. Since fb is free, it's not a bad place to start. I wound up buying dumbbells as a lot of their content uses these. 

Rowing. Concept 2 Erg machine for under a grand. Cardio and strength and some flexibility. 

Any of the Parkour videos will work fine.  Just make the world your gym. Bounce over, through, and off of ####. Once that gets too easy go emulate some of the crazy former soviet block tower climbers.  You'll be in great shape in no time.

Nugget said:
2 hours of sex per day
OK, but what about an activity for him?  😁

--

Free stuff: As mentioned, you can find routines for stretching/yoga on You Tube.  Something I've done on and off is to do sit-ups and push-ups during commercial breaks.  Another option would be planks, which help a lot with the core.  For a little bit of money, you could get some dumbbells and use those for standard weightlifting as well as using them for squats and kettlebell swings.

Main thing you need to be successful with home exercise is self discipline. After years of trying, I’ve learned that I can’t do it at home no matter what equipment I have. I have a kettlebell that kicks my ###. I’m convinced it’s the only tool I would need. I just can’t keep up a consistent routine with it on my own. The key is going to be finding something you enjoy doing to give yourself the best chance at sticking with it. There are a ton of ways to exercise and improve your health, but none of them work unless you do it consistently over a long period of time.

The StairMill has turned into my favorite piece of cardio equipment at my gym. Never would have figured that out without trying a bunch of stuff. I’d suggest getting a temporary pass at your gym if possible or taking some exercise classes before you buy anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walk>Brisk walk> Brisk walk ending with a little jogging> Brisk walk then half jogging>Mostly Jogging> Running

Takes about 2-3 months to get in gear if you go almost every day for 30 minutes. Buy some good shoes. Early April you'll look at your wife and say "can you believe we're running?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Walk>Brisk walk> Brisk walk ending with a little jogging> Brisk walk then half jogging>Mostly Jogging> Running

Takes about 2-3 months to get in gear if you go almost every day for 30 minutes. Buy some good shoes. Early April you'll look at your wife and say "can you believe we're running?"
This, only for me it's riding. Cardio is where it's at. Especially, outdoors. It's exhilarating.

You might check into some HIIT circuit training. There are many variations, many of which require no equipment, and many which you can substitute different exercises if you can't do a particular thing due to limitations or lack of equipment. 

For example, here's one I do for cardio/get off the couch on the weekends sometimes:

Perform the following three exercise moves back-to-back according these reps: Start by doing 10 reps of each, then repeat the cycle doing 15 reps of each, then repeat the cycle doing 20 reps of each. Don’t take any breaks until after you’ve gone through all three sets.

• Burpees
  • Mountain Climbers
  • Jumping Jacks
  • (In place of these 3 moves, you could also try performing fast alternating lunges, push-ups or kettlebell swings.)
After you’ve completed these three sets, do a form of steady-state cardio for about three minutes. This can mean jogging, running in place, hopping on an exercise bike, etc. You want to be working at about half of your ability.

Users who are viewing this thread