What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

I rewatched Mare of Easttown (MAX).
I had a general memory of the story but I couldn't remember the details and left me feeling like I was watching it for the first time.
I would hate to label it as a depressing story and lead people to not want to watch it but it did have a bit of a depressing tone...... but gosh dang if it wasn't brilliant story telling!
And Kate Winslet put on a performance that made you believe she was living this life out before your eyes. She was so great in this!!

I had a general memory of the story but I couldn't remember the details and left me feeling like I was watching it for the first time.
I would hate to label it as a depressing story and lead people to not want to watch it but it did have a bit of a depressing tone...... but gosh dang if it wasn't brilliant story telling!
And Kate Winslet put on a performance that made you believe she was living this life out before your eyes. She was so great in this!!
Murder de durder

Started off pretty good then it got tiring with the same situations over and over again.
Totally agree with this sentiment. There were times where you were just like, "come on. this again" It was like it was a season or two too long as the beats of every show became very repetitive. Still entertaining but lost a little of the freshness.

Murder de durder
I had to Google this. So glad I did! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Griselda Netflix.

6/10. Just doesn't hold up in the genre compared to shows that have come before it. Sofia Vergara just can't quite rise to the demands of the role. In fairness, the writing didn't do her any favours. Struggled to finish it.
2 episodes in and liking it quite a bit. Tough getting past Gloria from Modern Family but i think she's doing a good job.
We just finished it up last night. I thought it was good. Not great but worth watching.
We did too. It was kinda meh for me. I feel like Vergara miscast herself as the lead... From her physique, even with the prosthetic honker, but especially her portrayal which came across as always running scared instead of soul-eating.
I enjoyed Narcos and Narcos Mexico, so this is qued up for later. At first glance, I am skeptical with Vergara doing such a vicious role. I'll watch with open mind.

I'm a sucker for mob story lines and the yakuza do not disappoint.
Seen Warrior? Three good seasons but appears season 4 is, at best, in question since MAX cancelled the show. Netflix may pick it up.

Got the message that Warrior's existing seasons will be coming to Netflix in on the 19th. Still not sure if they will make new seasons, so ...

Watch this show. It's bad###. It's Bruce Lee's unfulfilled dream project, which should be enough. It's a historical drama about organized crime, mob wars corrupt cops, immigration, and more in turn of the century San Francisco. There are brothels and opium dens. There are crazy kung fu scenes set to crazy Chinese hip-hop. There is tons of violence. I'm talking myself into a rewatch just writing this

Should I start Suits? My 20 year old daughter loves it and says I would too.
Definitely should watch it. It's very entertaining and it's an easy watch.
Just please don't ever expect any lawyer to do anything like they do in this show ever.

I ****ing hate this show for this reason.
Wait, that isn't real lawyering?
You'd be surprised how many people/clients think it is.
Do they also think Saul Goodman is real lawyering?

I'm a sucker for mob story lines and the yakuza do not disappoint.
Seen Warrior? Three good seasons but appears season 4 is, at best, in question since MAX cancelled the show. Netflix may pick it up.

Got the message that Warrior's existing seasons will be coming to Netflix in on the 19th. Still not sure if they will make new seasons, so ...

Watch this show. It's bad###. It's Bruce Lee's unfulfilled dream project, which should be enough. It's a historical drama about organized crime, mob wars corrupt cops, immigration, and more in turn of the century San Francisco. There are brothels and opium dens. There are crazy kung fu scenes set to crazy Chinese hip-hop. There is tons of violence. I'm talking myself into a rewatch just writing this
Nice. Hadnt heard of this. Thanks. Definitely will watch when and if it hits Netflix.

Short story. When I clicked on what this was about it reminded me of the following story:

I worked Bureau of Prisons for a decade. For a three month span I would always PAT search this old Asian guy every morning after breakfast. Every morning he would steal 5 or more bananas. I would take them. We never spoke. I just took his bananas. Every morning. I was at home watching that old show Gangland. The episode was the Deadly Triangle and it was basically about the Chinese Triads in San Francisco. One of the primary leaders, I won't say who, was in the episode. That leader was this guy I kept taking his bananas from. I stopped taking his bananas. Ha ha

Watched fool me once. I mean decent. The detective was a cool character I thought. Ended OK..
As someone said above, the pickins are kinda meh right now so I am re-watching the Last Kingdom. Liking it as much the second time around as the first

Just please don't ever expect any lawyer to do anything like they do in this show ever.

Wait, that isn't real lawyering?
You'd be surprised how many people/clients think it is.
Do they also think Saul Goodman is real lawyering?
Much more realistic than stupid Suits.

I object!
Strenuously?
I approve of A Few Good Men. Second best criminal lawyer movie ever. The scene where he got him six months and Dawson doesn’t care is very realistic and I’ve wanted to Cruise’s reaction so many times…

First two episodes of season 2 of Halo are out. Definitely some improvement on the first season, you can tell they are trying to take a lot of the criticisms into account. they’ve changed a lot of the tone and already jettisoned some of the dangling first season plot threads people hated (although brought one in particular back revealed at the end of episode two that people will hate.) You can see some direct parallel’s to the Halo Reach game early on although it’s definitely not a strait retelling of the games story.

Cautiously optimistic they can improve the reception to the show with the new season, fanboys and critics took a dump all over the first season so this season likely needs to really shine to get renewed.

I still never watched the F1 Netflix series (still want too) but I guess the NASCAR version is out. NASCAR Full Speed....nice little look at the 2023 playoffs

First two episodes of season 2 of Halo are out. Definitely some improvement on the first season, you can tell they are trying to take a lot of the criticisms into account. they’ve changed a lot of the tone and already jettisoned some of the dangling first season plot threads people hated (although brought one in particular back revealed at the end of episode two that people will hate.) You can see some direct parallel’s to the Halo Reach game early on although it’s definitely not a strait retelling of the games story.

Cautiously optimistic they can improve the reception to the show with the new season, fanboys and critics took a dump all over the first season so this season likely needs to really shine to get renewed.
I also thought it was a notable improvement.

When action shots of spartans training look like a video game, is that good or bad?

There is a lot going on after two episodes.

Murder de durder
Mare of Easttown is very good, like a vastly improved version of American Rust.

Murder de durder
Mare of Easttown is very good, like a vastly improved version of American Rust.

Leaves you wanting more. Enjoyed it.

What are y’all’s TOP/Best series available now, that you’d recommend? Like, your can’t miss zOMG yes go watch it!!!1! This can be older like The Wire, or something current/current-ish.

Thought it’d be cool/helpful for those of us that aren’t as well versed in this thread. Cuz a lot of the recent ones are ‘fine’ it seems….

TIA

Last edited:
Per a previous recommendation from this thread, Wife and I started Loudermilk and like it more than we anticipated.

Thanks for the reco
Just finished this as well as Flaked with Will Arnett. Anyone with any recommendations on other short series that are similar to these?

Finished up Bookie. It had its moments but got worse as it went along. Doubt I'll be back for another season unless it gets rave reviews.

What are y’all’s TOP/Best series available now, that you’d recommend? Like, your can’t miss zOMG yes go watch it!!!1! This can be older like The Wire, or something current/current-ish.

Thought it’d be cool/helpful for those of us that aren’t as well versed in this thread. Cuz a lot of the recent ones are ‘fine’ it seems….

TIA
Fargo
Chernobyl
Reservation Dogs
The Boys
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Band of Brothers
The Pacific

Comedies:
Letterkenny
Archer
Beavis
30 Rock
Fleabag

Scifi:
Stranger Things
Andor
Archive 81
Black Summer

Only 2 episodes into Beef but I'm really liking it.
That's pretty much the peak of it
Really?
I remember almost giving up on it midway through but stuck it out. It finished better. Overall, I'd give it an OK.

But I was really excited about it early on.
Halfway through and struggling to finish it. I'm glad you're saying it finishes better but it's gotten pretty lame.

TIA

My S-Tier shows are:

Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
The Expanse
Seinfeld
Dark

TIA

My S-Tier shows are:

Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
The Expanse
Seinfeld
Dark
Great list, but the bold stood out to me as the one not belonging. I gave this a couple of episodes but wasn't impressed. Is it worth trying again?

TIA

My S-Tier shows are:

Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
The Expanse
Seinfeld
Dark
Great list, but the bold stood out to me as the one not belonging. I gave this a couple of episodes but wasn't impressed. Is it worth trying again?

First season has a few things going against it for sure mainly that it's slow to get going and you have to suffer through Thomas Jane's hat, but it does end up being pretty amazing.

It took me a couple tries to get it to stick too.

TIA

My S-Tier shows are:

Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
The Expanse
Seinfeld
Dark
Love The Expanse, but it took me 3-4 times to start it until it clicked. The first season, you're kind of figuring things out as the characters do so it can seem disjointed. It comes together exceptionally well though imo.

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow

TIA

My S-Tier shows are:

Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
The Expanse
Seinfeld
Dark
I thought the same thing. I love every show on that list but The Expanse is one that I tried a couple of times and couldn't get into it. Sounds like I need to give it more of a chance because I always hear good things about it.

TIA

My S-Tier shows are:

Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
The Expanse
Seinfeld
Dark
Ozark. Bateman alone is worth it.

TIA

My S-Tier shows are:

Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
The Expanse
Seinfeld
Dark
Eddie, to this otherwise good list above I'd also add as absolutely must sees:

The Leftovers
Mad Men
Firefly
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Rick and Morty
Chernobyl
True Detective (season one only)

Honorable mentions include:
The Walking Dead (first three season or so until Negan arrives)
Doctor Who
Twin Peaks
The Twilight Zone
Fargo
Black Mirror
Bojack Horseman
The West Wing

Users who are viewing this thread