What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (7 Viewers)

Leave The World Behind on Netflix. Thumbs up.

I like the plot but not the execution. I won't ruin it for those that haven't seen it. The premise is believable. It lacks believable emotion/intensity that you would expect about halfway through it. Also Julia Robert looks better at 56 than 26.
The end was unsatisfying for me. Otherwise I felt it was good.
I thought it was slower than it needed to be. Ending was a little meh. Maybe a 6 out of 10.

Leave The World Behind on Netflix. Thumbs up.

I like the plot but not the execution. I won't ruin it for those that haven't seen it. The premise is believable. It lacks believable emotion/intensity that you would expect about halfway through it. Also Julia Robert looks better at 56 than 26.
The end was unsatisfying for me. Otherwise I felt it was good.
I thought it was slower than it needed to be. Ending was a little meh. Maybe a 6 out of 10.
I thought the acting and cinematography were fantastic. Big fan of Sam Esmail. It had an M Night Shyamalan feel to it. Agreed the ending was silly.

Can somebody give me a Fargo (TV show) summary?...basically want to know if my wife and I will like it.
Don't think that's possible

If you've seen the movie, think something like that. Similar in tone and style, except Season 4 which is different. It usually involves ordinary people who get involved in crimes and how things spiral from there. There's usually a peppy, small town cop with an over the top accent. Oh and also UFOs and God in a bowling alley.

Just finished S1 of Goliath. I thought it started strong and fizzled out in the last episode. I think there are 3 more seasons. Any opinions on whether or not it's worth continuing?

Just finished S1 of Goliath. I thought it started strong and fizzled out in the last episode. I think there are 3 more seasons. Any opinions on whether or not it's worth continuing?

Eh. Billy Bob is great. But you don't get much William Hurt after the first season.

Some seasons are stronger than others. But it's not a great show overall. Not terrible, but not great either.

Eh. Billy Bob is great. But you don't get much William Hurt after the first season.

Some seasons are stronger than others. But it's not a great show overall. Not terrible, but not great either.
I would stop now. I thought it only got worse after season 1.

:goodposting: I watched S2 and S3 but it was a slog to get through.

Watched the episodes of "Bookie" (HBO) that have been released and enjoyed it decent enough - 7/10.

It's a show along the lines of shows where it flirts between a drama and dark comedy while interspersing some gratuitous and unexpected violence and sex/nudity. Very HBO. It's not going to be riveting nor likely something I think about five years from now, but it's been a fun and interesting watch so far. There are also some really good celebrity cameos with some playing characters (Ray Ramano plays a deadbeat gambling addict in the first scene) and other playing themselves (Charlie Sheen, reunited with Chuck Lorre, plays himself).

:goodposting: I watched S2 and S3 but it was a slog to get through.
Thanks guys. Too many great shows worth watching to waste time on something mediocre. Like I said I thought the S1 finale was weak.

Watched the episodes of "Bookie" (HBO) that have been released and enjoyed it decent enough - 7/10.

It's a show along the lines of shows where it flirts between a drama and dark comedy while interspersing some gratuitous and unexpected violence and sex/nudity. Very HBO. It's not going to be riveting nor likely something I think about five years from now, but it's been a fun and interesting watch so far. There are also some really good celebrity cameos with some playing characters (Ray Ramano plays a deadbeat gambling addict in the first scene) and other playing themselves (Charlie Sheen, reunited with Chuck Lorre, plays himself).
Sebastian Maniscalco is the lead in this. Rob Corddry is also in the cast. Agree with Zow's assessment. It isn't breaking any new ground, but it is enjoyable to watch. In the vein of Ballers, Entourage, etc.

Reactions: Zow
Apparently the wallpaper behind the bed in Leave The World Behind kept changing? I didnt even notice. I may have to rewatch this movie.

I don't know if it's been mentioned and I'm not going to read a couple months of posts to find out. The Kelse documentary on Amazon Prime is pretty good. Follows Jason in the 2022 season. Birds fans would like it. If you're sick of the Kelses or their mom, it's going to be a hard pass for you.

Apparently the wallpaper behind the bed in Leave The World Behind kept changing? I didnt even notice. I may have to rewatch this movie.
And the black and white paintings.

The ending was fine. It was the cgi animals, the lack of reasoning why they acted weird, within sight of Manhattan yet too far away to get to and countryside void of other people, standing inside a shead for a 30 minute conversation while your kid is missing and crap like that that really dragged it down.

Started watching Suits on Netflix. Not a bad show but I can see it getting tiresome binging it with the same formula happening every episode.
Totally what an average day in a law firm looks like...

:wall:

I tried watching this recently. Made it about 20 minutes before turning it off. Usually I don't care if the legal stuff isn't right (see, e.g., parts of "Succession"), but this one was just too much. I burst into laughter when they introduced the guy as "our best closer," as if that were a position. Then the "closer" proceeded to curse out and trick his client into doing something, and I think it was at that point that I just couldn't.
I recall that scene and it's where I lost any interest in it too (which, IIRC, was on the heels of them hiring a guy to practice law without a law license).

I just can't do Suits and the Netflix series version of Lincoln Lawyer. They're just way too much nonsense.
Next I suppose you are going to say hospitals aren't actually run like Grey's Anatomy and House and that being a CSI isn't like it is on all those CSI series or being a cop isn't like it is on the 50 different cops shows.
Point taken, but sometimes a show gets stupid enough that you just can't sustain suspension-of-disbelief.

Anyone give the new Squid Game a watch yet?
We watched it. I went in with very low expectations, but somehow I began to get invested in some of the players. The first game where they are supposedly "eliminated" and the little dye pack goes off in their chest as they are "shot" was a little stupid, but the rest of the show was okay--especially if you have seen the OG. Casting was a little strange, Some of the player's after the game stories are appearing on my TikTok, which sort of ruins some of the mysteries of the challenges.

Anyone give the new Squid Game a watch yet?
We watched it. I went in with very low expectations, but somehow I began to get invested in some of the players. The first game where they are supposedly "eliminated" and the little dye pack goes off in their chest as they are "shot" was a little stupid, but the rest of the show was okay--especially if you have seen the OG. Casting was a little strange, Some of the player's after the game stories are appearing on my TikTok, which sort of ruins some of the mysteries of the challenges.
Thanks. I wondered about the dye packs and what just was going on.

The first game where they are supposedly "eliminated" and the little dye pack goes off in their chest as they are "shot" was a little stupid
It wasn’t just the first game, it was others throughout. It was a visual to represent elimination and the color black is a reference to squid ink.

The ending was fine. It was the cgi animals, the lack of reasoning why they acted weird, within sight of Manhattan yet too far away to get to and countryside void of other people, standing inside a shead for a 30 minute conversation while your kid is missing and crap like that that really dragged it down.
They explained most of this. The animals migration patterns were thrown off by an environmental disaster. The lack of people was due to the roads beings blocked off because of the Teslas. Also they guys neighbor was a few miles away. This was a desolate place.

The lack of people was due to the roads beings blocked off because of the Teslas. Also they guys neighbor was a few miles away. This was a desolate place.
They also eluded to it being a very affluent area where most of the properties were 2nd homes so the families were off traveling to better weather. It’s why they got such a good Air bnb deal because it was “off season” in that area.

I was ready to lambaste Leave the World Behind for being yet another disaster/end of the world story where they don’t bother to explain what is really going on but then they finally did.

I hate when stories like this leave you hanging on what’s really going because of some artsy fartsy reason like wanting to focus on the characters or relationships whatever BS. Kudos to this one for not falling into that trap.

Really enjoying Silicon Valley. Watched alot of it when it originally aired, but not all of it. Also started Eastbound and Down again. I kinda forgot how crazy that show was. They got it out just in time.

They explained most of this. The animals migration patterns were thrown off by an environmental disaster. The lack of people was due to the roads beings blocked off because of the Teslas. Also they guys neighbor was a few miles away. This was a desolate place.
Migration patterns dont include deer surrounding the women shed.
Teslas.
🤣

Anyone watching The Curse on Showtime? Not sure I've watched a show that I cringe at almost every turn but I'm actually enjoying it.

Moonlighting is almost 40 years old but it's streaming for the first time on Hulu. The combination of comedy and crime still makes for an entertaining watch. The banter between Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis is occasionally cringey but they have good chemistry and Willis brings undeniable star quality.
We've been watching it. I never did in the 80's.

It's fun in a His Girl Friday sort of way. And Cybil Shepherd is easy on the eyes.
So we had heard how bad things got in Season 4. Now that we're in it I have to say...

NOTHING COULD HAVE PREPARED ME FOR THIS!!

No hyperbole - this is the worst television I've ever watched.

So now we know the real reason for the recall.

Moonlighting is almost 40 years old but it's streaming for the first time on Hulu. The combination of comedy and crime still makes for an entertaining watch. The banter between Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis is occasionally cringey but they have good chemistry and Willis brings undeniable star quality.
We've been watching it. I never did in the 80's.

It's fun in a His Girl Friday sort of way. And Cybil Shepherd is easy on the eyes.
So we had heard how bad things got in Season 4. Now that we're in it I have to say...

NOTHING COULD HAVE PREPARED ME FOR THIS!!

No hyperbole - this is the worst television I've ever watched.
It’s crazy how fast that show went to the zoo. it’s a shame. Willis and Shepherd had some great chemistry.

The lack of people was due to the roads beings blocked off because of the Teslas. Also they guys neighbor was a few miles away. This was a desolate place.
They also eluded to it being a very affluent area where most of the properties were 2nd homes so the families were off traveling to better weather. It’s why they got such a good Air bnb deal because it was “off season” in that area.
I get that they wanted to show Manhattan in the show... But it was distracting that they took the north fork... About 2+ hours from the city and kind of a Hamptons-lite, and shoved it into Queens across the river from the city. I'm sure most people don't care, just found it distracting throughout... We kept going- Wait... Where exactly are they?

I actually enjoyed it overall as concept and show, and didn't mind the ending. Thought Julia Roberts was fantastic.

ummm Axel F a beverly hills cop series on netflix with what looks like the OG cast plus kevin bacon? ummm count me the **** in

This sounds fun. Netflix is currently cancelled, but only because if felt worn out. Look fwd to hearing this is good before signing back up.

I'm trying Gravesend on Prime. 2 episodes in and it needs to get better. It's using a couple guys from The Wire so that's good. 80s NYC Italian mob story. Recommended on X by Shaq. Yes, that Shaq.

The story left enough room of unanswered questions for a sequel

This final season of The Crown has been excellent. Series kind of dragged there for a bit but has been outstanding as it is wrapping up.

The death of Diana handled really well and in an interesting way.

I mentioned this in another thread but if you watched Friends back when it was on the air, you will probably enjoy the Friends reunion on HBO Max. Sadder now that Perry died but still worth watching.

The one part I thought was really interesting was when Schwimmer and Aniston talked about how they really liked each other and had a showmance but it didn’t go anywhere because of Anniston and Pitt. What was funny was Schwimmer mentioning how things might have been different had they tried to be a real couple and how happy he was now with his wife and kids. The look on Anniston’s face when he said that seemed like she should have gone for him instead of her litany of failed relationships.

On S3 of For All Mankind.

this is some silly, silly stuff.

which is too bad- because it could've been about the sciencey/space-travelly stuff more than everything else... or at least found a better balance. I've been a fan, but this is cringey.

Users who are viewing this thread