What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stratomatic Baseball (1 Viewer)

fred_1_15301

Footballguy
Has anyone played stratomatic baseball? For those who are not familiar, this is not fantasy baseball. It's much less reliant on luck and far more challenging than fantasy baseball. The game is completely statistical and is based on how the players performed in real life during the previous season. In summary, it's a simulated board game where you act as the owner, general manager and manager of a team. Thus, you're responsible for drafting a team, offering and accepting trades with other teams, picking up free agents, scouting your opposition, changing your starting lineups (for each game depending on the opposing pitcher), shuffling your pitching rotations, setting your lineups daily, determining when to hit and run, determining when to steal, etc. You essentially control every aspect of your team daily for 162 games (+ playoffs). Sportingnews offers an online version of the game which is pretty close to the board game (primary difference is that you have a little less control of your team in the online version). Overall, it's still very realistic. I would like to gauge the interest of fellow FBG in putting a league together. We would need 12 players. If there is enough interest, I can provide more details.

Has anyone played stratomatic baseball? For those who are not familiar, this is not fantasy baseball. It's much less reliant on luck and far more challenging than fantasy baseball.
dice = luckI used to play a lot of SOM and APBA when I was a kid and in a brief revival after college when I had a roommate who also was a SOM enthusiast. I never asked my wife why she married a guy who'd leave her hanging for 20 min while he played a quick game of pretend baseball, but I'm thankful she did. I put the cards into storage when our first kid was born and haven't played since. I suppose it would be fun in a nostalgic sort of way but even I'm not a big enough :nerd: to consider a 162 game season.

Has anyone played stratomatic baseball? For those who are not familiar, this is not fantasy baseball. It's much less reliant on luck and far more challenging than fantasy baseball.
dice = luckI used to play a lot of SOM and APBA when I was a kid and in a brief revival after college when I had a roommate who also was a SOM enthusiast. I never asked my wife why she married a guy who'd leave her hanging for 20 min while he played a quick game of pretend baseball, but I'm thankful she did. I put the cards into storage when our first kid was born and haven't played since. I suppose it would be fun in a nostalgic sort of way but even I'm not a big enough :nerd: to consider a 162 game season.
.. ha! ... Darts also is a great way to make picks.

I played Strat-O-Matic a lot as a kid (my fixation on the 1986 season is partly due to that being my first Strat card set). I also had about a month-long Strat revival a few years ago after a bad breakup when I didn't really feel like going out much, and I recently bought the computer game with the all-time career normalized roster set, which is awesome.

But as far as online leagues go, it's hard to beat WhatifSports. Strat has better normalization and more realism IMO, but getting access to every player-season in history and being able to sort them easily in the draft center gives you endless possibilities for leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eephus said:
fred_1_15301 said:
dice = luckI used to play a lot of SOM and APBA when I was a kid and in a brief revival after college when I had a roommate who also was a SOM enthusiast. I never asked my wife why she married a guy who'd leave her hanging for 20 min while he played a quick game of pretend baseball, but I'm thankful she did. I put the cards into storage when our first kid was born and haven't played since. I suppose it would be fun in a nostalgic sort of way but even I'm not a big enough :lmao: to consider a 162 game season.
I said "less" reliant on luck. I did not say there was no luck involved. And dice combinations = statistical probabilities. The beauty of the online game is that it's simulated and you're not actually physically "playing" 162 games. I do remember those days and God was that rough on the legs.

dice = luckI used to play a lot of SOM and APBA when I was a kid and in a brief revival after college when I had a roommate who also was a SOM enthusiast. I never asked my wife why she married a guy who'd leave her hanging for 20 min while he played a quick game of pretend baseball, but I'm thankful she did. I put the cards into storage when our first kid was born and haven't played since. I suppose it would be fun in a nostalgic sort of way but even I'm not a big enough :unsure: to consider a 162 game season.
Follow your passion. Its not something to be proud of to deny your true self. Be a man and learn to take a little criticism instead of denying who you are. Who really wants to go through life afraid to be themselves like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to play in the late 70's early 80's with my dad. He passed away in the mid 80's so I didn't play for a while

Couple of years ago, a friend in church was talking about this cool simulation game on the computer, called of Course

I am in one league right now, 16 teams, and we are now playing the 1964 season. Thought I had a good team but the dice have been horrific against me. Now I am trading for draft picks because my 65 team looks even better

Used to love this game. Got the 93 season when I was a kid and we used to play forever. My dad introduced me with a 1970's season I think. I need to go look. Absolutely loved the game. It doesnt get better than Strat O Matic.

Used to play a ton in the late 80s/early 90s. Sometimes had all nighters. Yeah, I know . . . NERD ALERT! I remember playing three 162-game seasons over the same timeframe. That's A LOT of Strato.

Users who are viewing this thread