What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stone Brewing looking to build brewery/restaurant in Alabama (2 Viewers)

Entertain me if you will... what is it that makes Arrogant ******* something other than an IPA?

Thanks, I'll hang up an listen.
If Stone called it an IPA, no one would have a problem with that, but they're notoriously secretive as to what goes into AB, and they make several great IPAs that they label as such. Categorizing beers like this is largely meaningless, but I would likely use the generic "strong ale" as that term can describe a big IPA, barleywine, etc. - including the beers in the gray area like AB.

Anyone wondering about Alabama's beer laws need to look up "what's wrong with the beer we got?" On YouTube.
There has been a lot of movement in getting Alabama's laws straightened out. Lots of folks want these brewers and beers available. Way, way overdue, but good things have been happening.

Hey, we just enacted the legalization of a marijuana based medicine - by a 97-0 vote in the state senate. I was pretty proud of those guys (well, for a sec). Walls are coming down.

Have you guys thawed out in Buffalo yet?
Free the Hops has done some great work in AL. I even have a snifter of theirs to support the cause. I don't think I've ever heard of a small collective group of people actually getting so much done politically. This is the video I was referring to. Kinda shows you what they're up against in the government. Germany?!

And not really, no. Not much snow on the ground but the avg March temp has been a full 11 degrees below normal (34 vs. 45).

IMO, APA's have strayed too close to IPA. Not a fan of all the hoppy everything everyone is doing. I'm not a certified judge though :kicksrock:

I think the trend to try and "out-hop" the competition has really muddied the West Coast IPA* landscape. It's a shame really because it now takes awhile to sift through all the SUPER MEGA HOPPITY HOP HOP HOPS BLOWING OUT YOUR ### beers to find the truly excellent WCIPAs

*West Coast IPAs are generally those where the hops is the forward flavor profile, it can be a good thing but it gets taken waaaaay to far at times.

MoP, I like you but rest assured that Arrogant ******* is not an IPA.
Ur right, I wrote in haste. Probably one of the reasons I'm not as big a fan. I also am not the person to ask about Lagers, not a big fan of them. I can appreciate a good ale, like many but AB just doesn't do that much for me.

Edit to add: I didn't actually call it an IPA, merely that there have been a lot of great IPAs come along since AB...yes it would infer that I am describing it as such but I never said AB is a terrible IPA or an IPA I don't much care for.

Sincerely,

Francis Underwood
Id say quit while you were ahead but then we'd have to go back in time while you were still swimming in your father's sack.

Anyone wondering about Alabama's beer laws need to look up "what's wrong with the beer we got?" On YouTube.
There has been a lot of movement in getting Alabama's laws straightened out. Lots of folks want these brewers and beers available. Way, way overdue, but good things have been happening.

Hey, we just enacted the legalization of a marijuana based medicine - by a 97-0 vote in the state senate. I was pretty proud of those guys (well, for a sec). Walls are coming down.

Free the Hops has done some great work in AL.
Big effin' :goodposting:

I'm really not a beer drinker, either. But some of our alcohol laws are still ridiculous (ABC monopoly). And I even get to blame democrats since they controlled our state house for 130 years.

Least surprising knee jerk post ever.

IMO, APA's have strayed too close to IPA. Not a fan of all the hoppy everything everyone is doing. I'm not a certified judge though :kicksrock:
The more hops the better.
Super hoppy beers can have balance though. I dig a hop bomb that has the right amount of maltiness.
Agreed but too many brewers (IMO) forget that fact and try to cram as much hops as possible in every bottle.

Free the Hops has done some great work in AL.
Big effin' :goodposting:

I'm really not a beer drinker, either. But some of our alcohol laws are still ridiculous (ABC monopoly). And I even get to blame democrats since they controlled our state house for 130 years.

Least surprising knee jerk post ever.
Did you listen to Alvin Holmes yet?

My post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. We're talking about beer. See my other post about it vs. slavery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cities making a play for Stone:

Bethlehem, PA

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Greensboro, NC

Wilmington, NC

Myrtle Beach, SC

Asheville, NC

Blount County, TN

Alabama

Personally, I think Charlotte has as good of a shot as anyone. Biggest city listed, vibrant craft-brewing scene, plenty of space, not Alabama.
My Lehigh Valley (PA) friends are all geeked up about Stone potentially coming to Bethlehem. Weyerbacher, Victory, and Stone (and Troeg's not too far away) would make for a nice grouping. Apparently Ruckus Brewing is also opening up a location there, but I don't know much about them.
Ruckus (Hoptimus Prime) is trying to revitalize the old Neuweiler Brewery...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuweiler_Brewery

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-acida-neuweiler-brewery-20140225,0,3156210.story

We also have another place opening up nearby in Emmaus...

http://funkbrewing.com/

https://www.facebook.com/FunkBrewing

And don't forget Fegley's Brewworks in Bethlehem (and now Allentown)..

http://www.thebrewworks.com/

Plenty of beer stuff around here already.

Why bother with Alabama? I think homebrewing was illegal there until a couple years ago. This is like Epic opening in Utah. There are plenty of beer-friendly states with demand to support a new Stone brewery.
But they are all liberal high tax states.Stone brewery is greedy and doesn't like to fund roads schools and bridges.

Ur right, I wrote in haste. Probably one of the reasons I'm not as big a fan. I also am not the person to ask about Lagers, not a big fan of them. I can appreciate a good ale, like many but AB just doesn't do that much for me.

Edit to add: I didn't actually call it an IPA, merely that there have been a lot of great IPAs come along since AB...yes it would infer that I am describing it as such but I never said AB is a terrible IPA or an IPA I don't much care for.

Sincerely,

Francis Underwood
Id say quit while you were ahead but then we'd have to go back in time while you were still swimming in your father's sack.
Don't be jealous just because you were delivered from a test tube into a turkey baster before planting it inside a civil union set of parents.

Sincerely,

Francis Underwood
No, you said there were a lot of "other IPAs." If you weren't saying Arrogant ******* is an IPA, then your post doesn't make much sense as it's the only beer that was being discussed and you were the only one that brought up an IPA. The post you originally responded to brought up Stella Artois and Belgian Trappiste beers. Then, you brought up Arrogant ******* and how it's past its prime. You were called an idiot and then said there were other IPAs since Arrogant *******. "Others" to what, if not Arrogant *******? Just own it, dude.

Bleep you as well. I didn't say I hated it or didn't like the taste but there are a lot of other IPAs since AB and I also spotlighted the limiteds they offer. Are you hitting the sauce for breakfast again?

I think stone makes very legit beer. Had a ruination the other night. And I'm not a huge hophead, that's just a tasty beer.

Bethlehem, PA

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Greensboro, NC

Wilmington, NC

Myrtle Beach, SC

Asheville, NC

Blount County, TN

Alabama

Personally, I think Charlotte has as good of a shot as anyone. Biggest city listed, vibrant craft-brewing scene, plenty of space, not Alabama.
My Lehigh Valley (PA) friends are all geeked up about Stone potentially coming to Bethlehem. Weyerbacher, Victory, and Stone (and Troeg's not too far away) would make for a nice grouping. Apparently Ruckus Brewing is also opening up a location there, but I don't know much about them.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-acida-neuweiler-brewery-20140225,0,3156210.story

Oh, I know it.

Don't forget Bethlehem Brew Works, although I haven't been there in a while.

I'm a stone's throw (ha!) from Barley Creek Brewing. Good times.

proninja said:
I think stone makes very legit beer. Had a ruination the other night. And I'm not a huge hophead, that's just a tasty beer.
i am a hophead and ruination is definitely one of my top beers.

Dr Oadi said:
Why bother with Alabama? I think homebrewing was illegal there until a couple years ago. This is like Epic opening in Utah. There are plenty of beer-friendly states with demand to support a new Stone brewery.
But they are all liberal high tax states.Stone brewery is greedy and doesn't like to fund roads schools and bridges.
Alabama has some of the highest alcohol taxes in the country.

GDogg said:
No, you said there were a lot of "other IPAs." If you weren't saying Arrogant ******* is an IPA, then your post doesn't make much sense as it's the only beer that was being discussed and you were the only one that brought up an IPA. The post you originally responded to brought up Stella Artois and Belgian Trappiste beers. Then, you brought up Arrogant ******* and how it's past its prime. You were called an idiot and then said there were other IPAs since Arrogant *******. "Others" to what, if not Arrogant *******? Just own it, dude.
My secretary must have left the word beer out of there for some reason. I'll have a word with her.

-Frank

Jeremy Borden@Jeremy_Borden 39m
BREAKING: Stone bill likely to pass, a huge win for craft breweries in SC. Senator Luke Rankin says Calif-based Stone brewery will relocate!

article on "Stone Bill" - related to breweries operating tap rooms and serving food. I don't understand why the so-called three tier system is important, other than protecting a well funded and represented industry (alcohol wholesale).

Is this a second location, or are they really relocating?
I can't imagine they would leave San Diego entirely. That's crazy talk.

They are just opening a new production facility and storefront in ALA. Though it sounds like it may be significantly larger than the Escondido operation.

“We have not made a decision as to where our East Coast brewery will be located. While we applaud the legislation in South Carolina and any like it, this necessary element is but one of many factored into our decision making laid out in our request for proposal.”

Bethlehem, PA

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Greensboro, NC

Wilmington, NC

Myrtle Beach, SC

Asheville, NC

Blount County, TN

Alabama

Yep. Love going back home to visit primarily for the breweries.

Birmingham now has three very viable breweries right in town and another really good one up in Huntsville. Plus a gourmet/foodie scene that none of the other cities listed can match. And real estate downtown is incredibly cheap and a legit purchase rather than rent option the way downtown is developing. Not surprising Stone is interested.

BTW levitation ale kicks ###.

My secretary must have left the word beer out of there for some reason. I'll have a word with her. -Frank
When the hell did you drag your ### out of retirement? I get busy for a little while and things just go haywire. Is eminence back?

My secretary must have left the word beer out of there for some reason. I'll have a word with her. -Frank
When the hell did you drag your ### out of retirement? I get busy for a little while and things just go haywire. Is eminence back?
that post was from 2 months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread