What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (9 Viewers)

$SBUX is on my watchlist for Stock People Keep Calling Blue Chips That Are Actually Structurally Terrible, Possibly Forever

Previous inductees:
$INTC
$BA
$T
$VZ
$PFE
Actually want to take the time to dig into BROS at some point.

I sold all of mine at a huge loss. Never again.
You must have finally tasted their coffee.
Yeah, but the kids love their sugary energy crap. It's become the hangout spot here. Which intrigues me more than anything else

Yeah, that was my logic ever since the IPO but I took a bath on this thing and am glad to be done. Agree that addicting teens on $8 sugary, caffeinated drinks with low overhead is a cash cow but.......they are managed by imbeciles.

Do a little digging and you'll see what I mean.
Imbeciles at the corporate level or imbeciles managing local stores?

Last edited:
$SBUX is on my watchlist for Stock People Keep Calling Blue Chips That Are Actually Structurally Terrible, Possibly Forever

Previous inductees:
$INTC
$BA
$T
$VZ
$PFE

Yeah, but the kids love their sugary energy crap. It's become the hangout spot here. Which intrigues me more than anything else

Yeah, that was my logic ever since the IPO but I took a bath on this thing and am glad to be done. Agree that addicting teens on $8 sugary, caffeinated drinks with low overhead is a cash cow but.......they are managed by imbeciles.

Imbeciles at the corporate level or imbeciles managing local stores.

Former

Previous inductees:
$INTC
$BA
$T
$VZ
$PFE

Well, I'm sure you know where they're from. :ROFLMAO:

Previous inductees:
$INTC
$BA
$T
$VZ
$PFE

Well, I'm sure you know where they're from. :ROFLMAO:

Yuuuuuuuuuppppp

Not a fan of Jim Cramer at all, but did anybody catch his interview with the Starbucks CEO this morning? In August, i posted in here to move away from companies that have moderate to significant exposure to China like Tesla and Starbucks. Both have come down pretty significantly. In any case—Starbucks just reported a pretty horrible quarter and Jim pretty much roasted the CEO this morning.

Not a fan of Jim Cramer at all, but did anybody catch his interview with the Starbucks CEO this morning? In August, i posted in here to move away from companies that have moderate to significant exposure to China like Tesla and Starbucks. Both have come down pretty significantly. In any case—Starbucks just reported a pretty horrible quarter and Jim pretty much roasted the CEO this morning.

That CEO, yeesh. if I wasn't bearish before, I would be after watching that.

Previous inductees:
$INTC
$BA
$T
$VZ
$PFE
The old man wants to buy a slug of PFE. I'm sure I missed something, why is this a no-fly zone?
PFE has made investors zero money since 1997. Why invest in a company that has a track record like that?
They're due!!!!1!!!1!

I know very little about Starbucks but as a real estate guy, one part of the interview comes off as silly is beating them up for opening more stores instead of focusing on margins when they're getting a 40% CoC return on new stores. A reasonable CoC return target for most investors is 6-10%. If you can get 40% CoC on anything real estate/building related you'd have to be crazy to pass that up and it's ridiculous to even ask why they would pursue that.

I know very little about Starbucks but as a real estate guy, one part of the interview comes off as silly is beating them up for opening more stores instead of focusing on margins when they're getting a 40% CoC return on new stores. A reasonable CoC return target for most investors is 6-10%. If you can get 40% CoC on anything real estate/building related you'd have to be crazy to pass that up and it's ridiculous to even ask why they would pursue that.
That’s a fair point, but I think the point that Jim was making was that the CEO can’t be trusted. A month ago—Starbucks knew that the earnings were going to miss by a mile and said nothing to prepare the markets. The CEO tried to blame 3% of the slowdown to weather concerns—when no other company in a similar field reported anything of that sort. No matter what question was being asked of the CEO—he just kept trying to answer with an “action plan” and his verbage that they “failed in communicating value to the occasional customer” was just CEO talk for “they raised prices sooo much that they scared off a lot of customers that are not fully brand loyal to Starbucks. With the buying power of starbucks, the massive distribution network they have, the best online infrastructure for coffee brands (in regard to their app)—they should be able to deliver almost any coffee for $4-5 and still be massively profitable. They raised prices soo much and expected their customers to tip so much—that the total cost for a Starbucks visit is very easily closer to $10 than $5. This is just driving customers that are not brand loyal to places like McDonald’s, dunkin, Dutch brothers, and 7-11. I have seen a noticeable difference in a slowdown of foot traffic in the Starbucks locations in my area. On the other hand, a Dutch brothers opened up 6 weeks ago—and there are massive lines there every morning.

That’s a fair point, but I think the point that Jim was making was that the CEO can’t be trusted. A month ago—Starbucks knew that the earnings were going to miss by a mile and said nothing to prepare the markets. The CEO tried to blame 3% of the slowdown to weather concerns—when no other company in a similar field reported anything of that sort. No matter what question was being asked of the CEO—he just kept trying to answer with an “action plan” and his verbage that they “failed in communicating value to the occasional customer” was just CEO talk for “they raised prices sooo much that they scared off a lot of customers that are not fully brand loyal to Starbucks. With the buying power of starbucks, the massive distribution network they have, the best online infrastructure for coffee brands (in regard to their app)—they should be able to deliver almost any coffee for $4-5 and still be massively profitable. They raised prices soo much and expected their customers to tip so much—that the total cost for a Starbucks visit is very easily closer to $10 than $5. This is just driving customers that are not brand loyal to places like McDonald’s, dunkin, Dutch brothers, and 7-11. I have seen a noticeable difference in a slowdown of foot traffic in the Starbucks locations in my area. On the other hand, a Dutch brothers opened up 6 weeks ago—and there are massive lines there every morning.
Yeah, close to $10 for coffee that tastes like the beans were burnt. Easy pass.

With the buying power of starbucks, the massive distribution network they have, the best online infrastructure for coffee brands (in regard to their app)—they should be able to deliver almost any coffee for $4-5 and still be massively profitable.

To be clear, they are massively profitable. To the tune of $8.6 billion this quarter.

Their problem is they are priced as a growth stock (which they themselves have continued to guide for, so no sympathy there), so they have to keep raising that number, which means they generally have to keep raising prices.

We can probably take this over to the inflation thread, where over there we complain about prices going up, and over here we complain about a company "only" making $8.6 billion last quarter being a piece of crap that needs to figure out how to make their margins better. They've kind of hit that inflection point that most companies do in a recessionless economy where they've kind of maxed out user growth (how many more untapped "coffee drinkers" are out there to be captured?) and have to rely on margins to grow, which means either firing employees or raising prices. Things we like over here in the stock thread, but hate over in the economy thread. 'Merica.

As far as the budget coffee drinkers go I'm not sure they're ever going to be able to compete with the likes of McDonalds who can afford to undercut them on coffee prices if it means getting someone in the door to buy a $7 egg and cheese biscuit that costs them 50 cents to make.

That, along with my complete ignorance of what's really going on in China right now, are why I'm not interested in investing at these prices. But I'm getting close to interested as their P/E ratio is now the lowest it's been in 15 years and pretty much every time over the last 2 years where a major company has had a major drop in P/E ratio because people were worried its growth was going to stagnate and it become a dividend stock, it's eventually started growing again and the returns have been big and violent (Target, Meta, Netflix among others).

Pet peeve and you weren't being literal, I know, but they don't charge $10 for the coffee or even $5 for the coffee (which absolutely tastes burnt). The actual coffee is priced somewhat in line ($3-$4, which is still crazy, but the same as Dunkin at least in the app price check I just performed) with everyone else outside of gas stations and whatnot. Just a tick I have because everyone always makes this comment about "these Gen Zers buying $5 coffee!!!!" They're paying $5-$10 for the specialty drinks.

With the buying power of starbucks, the massive distribution network they have, the best online infrastructure for coffee brands (in regard to their app)—they should be able to deliver almost any coffee for $4-5 and still be massively profitable.

To be clear, they are massively profitable. To the tune of $8.6 billion this quarter.
Yeah, I was probably being a little hyperbolic earlier - your point is right that they were priced like a growth stock and they can't really justify that kind of multiple right now. They're not dying - but they might be just an income stock with mild capital appreciation going forward.

For something completely different - bought some JAAA this morning. Had some bond monies available and decided to track something a bit different. 6.25% for AAA rated CLOs.
Not familiar with this one, but that chart sure looks like consistent waves. Every month, same pattern.

Pet peeve and you weren't being literal, I know, but they don't charge $10 for the coffee or even $5 for the coffee (which absolutely tastes burnt). The actual coffee is priced somewhat in line ($3-$4, which is still crazy, but the same as Dunkin at least in the app price check I just performed) with everyone else outside of gas stations and whatnot. Just a tick I have because everyone always makes this comment about "these Gen Zers buying $5 coffee!!!!" They're paying $5-$10 for the specialty drinks.
Anecdotally, I was at O'Hare Sunday morning and got to the gate early and it was coffee time. The line at Starbucks was EASILY 12-15 people deep, so we went to Dunkin as the line was 2-3 people and to be perfectly honest, I like coffee okay, but I'm good with regular coffee with cream and sugar (read, not a coffee snob). We got 3 coffee's and two breakfast sandwiches and bill came out to $30.00 EGADS!
I'm a SBUX stock holder but trimmed 2/3's of my position over the years. And I'm sure you're all super interested, but my year end note to shareholders (aka wife) read as follows:

SBUX – In 2021 this one was trading at $116. Today $96. I am relatively sure that $116 to $96 over two years is not real good. You may think that the valuation is cheaper today than 2021, but I’m not so sure. I’m going to have to dig into this one a bit more. Tentative Recommendation – Sell on strength.

Of course I am still holding like a moron. Now the question is buy on weakness 🤔
Company still makes money hand over fist, there is no shortage in demand. Similar to Chipotle where people are more than willing to spend 15-20 bucks on a burrito.
I know I'm old, but this world's gone mad.

For something completely different - bought some JAAA this morning. Had some bond monies available and decided to track something a bit different. 6.25% for AAA rated CLOs.
Not familiar with this one, but that chart sure looks like consistent waves. Every month, same pattern.
Big dividend disbursement monthly causes the waves. It is (and should be) stable AAA investment that generates 6.25%, or close to. I put a small tranche in my stuff as part of bond allocation.

I'll take 6% all day long - with inflation at 3% or so that gives a real 3% return on the bond side. That's excellent. I almost want to see if there is a leveraged CEF out there, but I'm restraining myself.

Last edited:
Something seems to have happened. Been a good day, completely wiping out yesterday’s disaster and more.
The Fed left rates the same.

Who would have thought in a year where 5-6 rates drops were anticipated that in May with no drops the markets would react so lovingly to the Fed just leaving rates alone? Yeah, not me.

Something seems to have happened. Been a good day, completely wiping out yesterday’s disaster and more.

Who would have thought in a year where 5-6 rates drops were anticipated that in May with no drops the markets would react so lovingly to the Fed just leaving rates alone? Yeah, not me.

I've been bearish on rate cuts the whole time and thought everyone was out of their mind when the market went crazy when they hinted at them a few months ago. I just had no idea how to play it because the market seems so resilient to any negative pressure for more than a few days and it can run up 10% before that even happens (as it did). If I'd shorted the market on that day as my inclination was I'm pretty sure I'd still be in the red even with people now realizing those rate cuts are unlikely. There's just no stopping this thing.

Yep. Up 4% overall, so a nice day. Most of that is from AMZN, but I’ll take it.

I've been bearish on rate cuts the whole time and thought everyone was out of their mind when the market went crazy when they hinted at them a few months ago. I just had no idea how to play it because the market seems so resilient to any negative pressure for more than a few days and it can run up 10% before that even happens (as it did). If I'd shorted the market on that day as my inclination was I'm pretty sure I'd still be in the red even with people now realizing those rate cuts are unlikely. There's just no stopping this thing.
Like Todem I thought we'd get 1-ish cuts this year. What I didn't expect was the market to be elated with holding rates at 5.5% in May.

Edit: Ok, we closed down. What a nutty day.

$FSLY down to $9.00 in AH trading. Totally lost track of this one. One day we need to start a ZIRP/COVID Hall of Fame for stocks like this.

$FSLY down to $9.00 in AH trading. Totally lost track of this one. One day we need to start a ZIRP/COVID Hall of Fame for stocks like this.
I sold like 80-90% of that at $135. Should have sold it all but the rest was sold a while ago as well. I think I bought it in the teens and it blew up. Just like Zoom. Two of my great sells.

Previous inductees:
$INTC
$BA
$T
$VZ
$PFE

Yep, but I bet it was a long line to hear that

3% dividend atm?
Holy 31% drop, Batman.

Does it seem like moves after ER are getting more volatile or is it just me?
It does feel that way and I’m sure it has been since retail investors have been way more active. What’s crazy is the inconsistency. AMD and others beat earnings and get trashed and Tesla has legitimately terrible earnings and they blow up on speculative statements like a cheaper car, which is funny since operating margin was a big concern with all the price drops.

The size of the moves and when things disappoint or can be ignored when bad is hard to figure out sometimes.

AAPL earnings up here soon. :popcorn:
Up 7%. Seemed like the only real good news was $110B stock buyout and dividend going from .24 to .25.

I will caution that the regular hours won’t bump this much. AH’s can be off sometimes.

This is where I can’t always understand the movement. They beat by a little and missed some underlying numbers and their revenue is still declining YoY. A 7% jump is an almost $190B move so basically more than the buy back and dividend and that buy back money comes out of the cash pile. It’s kind of like a stock split where the market cap shouldn’t really change. Any money going to a buy back is gone so it’s no longer on the balance sheet and it’s offset by the per share value going up by the same amount.

Reminded me of the Tesla earnings where they tried to fake people out with “future” things so that they’d ignore the terrible numbers (it worked). Apple’s beats are great when you realize their revenue keeps dropping so they are beating no growth numbers.

Dividend is now a magic word. Like when a 0.5% dividend is met with a 10% stock appreciation. Paying 10% more to get 0.5% back seems like bad math.

They will have him step down if he is a real problem.

This is an easy 30% turnaround trade inside 12-18 months.

Thoughts on BA, trading around $192?
Long term buy down here.
Whistleblower getting suicided is definitely a buy signal. Clear skies ahead!

Being a Boeing-related whistleblower is hazardous your health: https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...-boeing-supplier-spirit-aerosystems-has-died/

This is the kind of thing that happens in Russia. Astonishing that this is happening here.

Thoughts on BA, trading around $192?
Long term buy down here.
Whistleblower getting suicided is definitely a buy signal. Clear skies ahead!

Being a Boeing-related whistleblower is hazardous your health: https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...-boeing-supplier-spirit-aerosystems-has-died/

This is the kind of thing that happens in Russia. Astonishing that this is happening here.
I’d say it’s smarter to have the accident happen before the whistle blowing.

Users who are viewing this thread