What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (7 Viewers)

Market is down a bit more than 1%.  That isn't a crash.  In fact, I'm pretty heartened to see the markets be so resilient with this huge oil dislocation we're seeing.
Future months aren't down like expiring contract is.  This is a bit like the ultimate short squeeze but in reverse.  People trying to sell and roll into future month don't have any buyers for current month.  These holders likely don't have any ability to take delivery so are desperate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Future months aren't down like expiring contract is.  This is a bit like the ultimate short squeeze.  People trying to sell and roll into future month don't have any buyers for current month.  This holders likely don't have any ability to take delivery so are desperate. 
Sorry, thought he meant spillover into equity markets.  Those are holding up.  Oil today is a historic event.  

Future months aren't down like expiring contract is.  This is a bit like the ultimate short squeeze but in reverse.  People trying to sell and roll into future month don't have any buyers for current month.  These holders likely don't have any ability to take delivery so are desperate. 
Seems like everyone knows the price will increase in the relatively near future. But is there any real way to capitalize on it?

Sorry, thought he meant spillover into equity markets.  Those are holding up.  Oil today is a historic event.  
Yup, I just saying that one of the reason the equity markets haven't reacted more is that it is only hitting the expiring contract.  I am not saying it isn't historic but it is not doing this to all futures contracts.  Imagine many suppliers already sold and aren't waiting until last minute to sell for May delivery.  

If the price is -$37 a barrel could someone really get 100,000 barrels and $3.7 million assuming they had somewhere to store it?

Really don’t get how the negative works

I would stay away from these markets.  
Yeah, I'm not going in specifically. Just curious as to the thoughts here. 

I'm comfortable buying entertainment, tech, clothing, REITs, etc. Not so much on oil. (I do like QCLN, but that's kind of the opposite)

Market is down a bit more than 1%.  That isn't a crash.  In fact, I'm pretty heartened to see the markets be so resilient with this huge oil dislocation we're seeing.
This is exactly what scares me.  Our markets were doing this before the pandemic and they’ve started doing it again—they are for the most part ignoring risk.   The market is being driven by momentum that is most likely fueled by super wealthy people that understand that in a few years that the dollar will be worth a fraction of what it is now.   The resilience is not driven by fundamentals—the resilience is driven by investors that are willing to overpay now knowing that in a few years these will be considered bargains just through currency dilution alone.   While this might be a good thing for every investor—just know that markets that are not driven by fundamentals tend to be fragile as they don’t take into account the unknown and unexpected events.    If one invests—just make sure you maintain enough liquidity to push through any interruptions or unexpected events that could expose how fragile our markets are.  

Wonder if Jerry Jones is thinking of turning AT&T stadium into a massive oil tank.  Should be able to empty it before the games can be played.  

Didn't mean today being 'crashing'. Was thinking 'causing the markets to crash over the next few weeks to months.'

A few tidbits about CYDY from the Investor's Hangout site:

1. Leronlimab was one of 4 drugs just mentioned on MSNBC in an interview with Dr Otto Yang of UCLA (my name is Otto, I love to get blotto)

2. CytoDyn added another person to their board.  This is 8 days after adding another one.  Someone speculated that it could be because they want to be added to NASDAQ.  They said you need more than half of your board to not be internal to qualify.

3. Seeking Alpha article

Or will it?
If you believe this is the end of the world. Then it won’t. 

If you believe we will all be driving and flying and getting back to normal in the near future....it certainly will go back up. 

This is a reflection of the world being shut down. So just imagine it staying this way longer.

This is what zero demand looks like. 

We are all curious how to make money on this but nobody seems to know. 
I think you are doing a nice job with your long term stock picks of amazon, Disney, possibly Cydy just to name a few. Maybe throw some precious metals in there and your long term portfolio has a nice foundation right there. 

If you believe this is the end of the world. Then it won’t. 

If you believe we will all be driving and flying and getting back to normal in the near future....it certainly will go back up. 

This is a reflection of the world being shut down. So just imagine it staying this way longer.

This is what zero demand looks like. 
Any advice on what stock/etf to get?

If the price is -$37 a barrel could someone really get 100,000 barrels and $3.7 million assuming they had somewhere to store it?

Really don’t get how the negative works
You wanna try storing 100,000 barrels of oil for a month and then re-sell it? Any idea what the EPA regulations are for storing that much oil?

Well, this oil meltdown sent the markets crashing. Can the plunge protection team deliver again?
My plunge protection team (AMZN, ETSY, ROKU, FSLY, SHOP and others even CYDY) are doing well today. Been up between 2-3% all day.

Still nervous though. I did very little real selling, just swapping stocks, so I got knocked around pretty good. I’m basically even on my two taxable accounts and my IRA, which are my wife‘s and my biggest accounts. Our current 401ks aren’t bad just added up still less than those 3. AMZN and using some of my cash, dummy here should have pushed all in, the week of the bottom. Just about every stock I bought on 3/16ish is up 50-100%. I don’t know why I didn’t buy more. Worried, but still I knew those prices were solid. Glad I did buy some.

This is exactly what scares me.  Our markets were doing this before the pandemic and they’ve started doing it again—they are for the most part ignoring risk.   The market is being driven by momentum that is most likely fueled by super wealthy people that understand that in a few years that the dollar will be worth a fraction of what it is now.   The resilience is not driven by fundamentals—the resilience is driven by investors that are willing to overpay now knowing that in a few years these will be considered bargains just through currency dilution alone.   While this might be a good thing for every investor—just know that markets that are not driven by fundamentals tend to be fragile as they don’t take into account the unknown and unexpected events.    If one invests—just make sure you maintain enough liquidity to push through any interruptions or unexpected events that could expose how fragile our markets are.  
Agree with your thoughts here. Dilution of dollar by Fed makes equities "less risky" or rather, more likely of a better return. 

A few tidbits about CYDY from the Investor's Hangout site:

1. Leronlimab was one of 4 drugs just mentioned on MSNBC in an interview with Dr Otto Yang of UCLA (my name is Otto, I love to get blotto)

2. CytoDyn added another person to their board.  This is 8 days after adding another one.  Someone speculated that it could be because they want to be added to NASDAQ.  They said you need more than half of your board to not be internal to qualify.

3. Seeking Alpha article
Otto? Otto parts?

I just tried to buy something on Fidelity and I think it wouldn't let me unless I called in to get approved to take delivery future resources or something.

I just wouldn't get too caught up in this move in oil. It is depressing the entire curve but again, most oil stocks aren't reacting that much. PEO is only down 4%, XOP is flat. Some fund will likely get burned by this but if you're investing in companies now, you're investing at $30 oil more or less. 

Demand destruction is 20-30 million barrels per day while we just cut 12 million. We'll run out of storage. The majors like CVX are going to be fine. The bigger pure play E&P guys like OXY probably are fine if they didn't take on too much leverage. But will be a lot of carnage in the US. At best consolidation. At worst, bankruptcies. 

But buying CVX isn't going to go to the moon when WTI starts trading at $20 on the June contract. 

Users who are viewing this thread