What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (13 Viewers)

After checking out the premiums on future calls on MSTR, I'm going to make an attempt next week to sell a short term out of the money call on my 100 shares. Never attempted anything like this before, but the shares are taking up too large of a percentage of my portfolio and I'm stuck on how to further diversify without selling my current shares this far away from my target price. For my smaller holdings, $mara and $hut the premiums dont seem to be worth the trouble.

We will see how easy this is for an idiot to figure out on fidelity. Will report back.

Con: if my predicted squeeze does begin before the april 19th date im looking at Im going to shoot myself in the foot for what will amount to breadcrumbs...conflicted.

Dipped my toes in. Sold my first one for this friday for a 2200 strike price. $580 net.

Plan is to just let it expire out of the money on friday. Not going to attempt any kind of option trading at this point

Last edited:
Wish I would have acted on my call to short Telehealth stocks, specifically Teladoc. Down 95% from high, fired CEO on Friday. Amwell about to get delisted. Down 95% and shares under $1. Blood bath

Alphamin Resources Corp. (V.AFM) hit a new 52-week high of $1.18 Tuesday. Alphamin provided the following update for the quarter ended March 2024 EBITDA guidance of US$52m, up 156% from the prior quarter. Tin sales of 4,126 tonnes, up 102% due to delayed sales the previous quarter.

UWMC coming back strong today. It seems to be pretty sensitive to rates - today rates dropped a good bit and this jumped. If only we knew what rates were going to do we could make a fortune with this thing...

Hot CPI, futures down

Yup. Market has been pretty sideways for awhile, and maybe our looming/expected correction is finally here.

Forget any cuts anytime soon. Is this a new normal with rates? It's feeling that way.
Yeah.....and the markets will function just fine in this rate environment.

I still expect at least one cut in September for .25 basis points and not because of economic reasons.....there I said it.

Anyway......it will be an up and down ride from here till after the election.

Looking at an interesting financial name.

NDAQ

May add a little here. I like their outlook and feel we could have 25-30% upside from here over the next 12-18 months.

Reactions: jwb
I've been bearish on the idea of rate cuts for a while now I just haven't been sure how to play it since the market is just continuing to buy everything.

Don't we typically see a re-do in inflation in periods like this? Like inflation spikes all the way back up to the original amount after it comes down the first time, before it settles in for good. I'm not even sure what the theory is on why inflation would stay down low. People still have jobs, people are still spending like crazy. Restaurants and ski resorts and travel all the non-essential things are still over-packed and haven't really seen a decrease at all. There's no reason for anyone to stop raising prices.

I've been bearish on the idea of rate cuts for a while now I just haven't been sure how to play it since the market is just continuing to buy everything.

Don't we typically see a re-do in inflation in periods like this? Like inflation spikes all the way back up to the original amount after it comes down the first time, before it settles in for good. I'm not even sure what the theory is on why inflation would stay down low. People still have jobs, people are still spending like crazy. Restaurants and ski resorts and travel all the non-essential things are still over-packed and haven't really seen a decrease at all. There's no reason for anyone to stop raising prices.
Quite frankly only a recession will bring prices down. How mild or deep that will be has lots of different factors.

I too was never gung ho they were going to slash rates fast...I felt two cuts before the year started in September and December.

Now? One cut in September is all I can potentially see in 2024.

As far as a correction goes, in my puny, ingnorant brain, markets only go down when people take money out (sell).
I just think investors have too much money and no where else to put it.
Would people sell and just sit on cash for several months, a year? ... Would you?

As far as a correction goes, in my puny, ingnorant brain, markets only go down when people take money out (sell).
Would people sell and just sit on cash for several months, a year? ... Would you?

If rates hit 8%? 9%?... Might be tempted to sell some stragglers and put money in long term bonds, or at least reconsider the allocation of future contributions. Might be a lot more places to put it than the options I have today.

If rates hit 8%? 9%?... Might be tempted to sell some stragglers and put money in long term bonds, or at least reconsider the allocation of future contributions. Might be a lot more places to put it than the options I have today.
We hit 8% and I’ll never buy stocks again.

Quite frankly only a recession will bring prices down. How mild or deep that will be has lots of different factors.

I too was never gung ho they were going to slash rates fast...I felt two cuts before the year started in September and December.

Now? One cut in September is all I can potentially see in 2024.
Hate to say it because I know there will be pain but we need a recession and an economic reset. They’ll do everything they can to delay it.

I’m definitely with you on this. I think that the final leg on getting inflation down to where the fed wants it to be is beyond what the capabilities of their tool box is able to achieve. Raising and lowering rates can have some effects on altering demand (and thus prices) on things that are not super necessary. However, many of the people and corporations that would need to lower prices in order to get inflation down to where the fed wants it to be have no interest in sacrificing their massive profit margins. I don’t think they care about higher rates because they are thriving in this climate of higher rates. Companies that are super profitable now, that have nice balance sheets—that are excelling—are not going to be motivated to self sacrifice their profit margins in order to give the fed justification to lower rates and to make cash cheaper again. This would effectively create more competition for them as it would level the playing field between them and companies and corporations that are having a hard time surviving in a tighter market. Even though the jobs reports are strong—one of the biggest employers has been the government—which in an election year is not super surprising. I want to make clear that I’m not trying to make this into a political post, but I don’t think any administration from any party would want to see unemployment numbers go way up in an election year—and consequently—I’m not super surprised that the government is doing a lot of the hiring. If this wasn’t an election year, I think we would be seeing some softness in the employment numbers. I see the market basically bouncing up and down for the near term. We’ll get some tidbits of info that look good and some tidbits that aren’t ideal—but I don’t see the final leg of reducing inflation being easy to achieve.

I’m definitely with you on this. I think that the final leg on getting inflation down to where the fed wants it to be is beyond what the capabilities of their tool box is able to achieve.
Inflation tends to be sticky. I do think the Fed has the toolbox and is wielding it (like Thor's Hammer). It just takes time to sink in - like in 2025 (I hope).

I’m definitely with you on this. I think that the final leg on getting inflation down to where the fed wants it to be is beyond what the capabilities of their tool box is able to achieve.
Inflation tends to be sticky. I do think the Fed has the toolbox and is wielding it (like Thor's Hammer). It just takes time to sink in - like in 2025 (I hope).
I am genuinely curious about what your thesis is. Their only tools are raising and lowering rates and their dialogue. Mohamed El-Arian recently said that the Feds speech has become nothing more than a play by play commentary that imposes unnecessary volatility into the markets. He believes that their speech and comments should definite a clear road map or strategy--and that doesn't seem to be happening. I don't think that the tools that the Fed has are going to make grocery stores charge less for food that people need to buy, I don't think that their tools are going to reduce the cost of rent or mortgages much (as if they reduce rates, home prices could actually go up), and I don't think that their tools are going to do much in reducing the costs of many services. i don't think the feds tools are going to be effective in reducing much demand for fuel, energy and utility costs..etc Keep in mind, I'm certainly don't want to come across as being super negative or pessimistic about things. I think we'll work our way through things and I don't think the "sky is falling". In the near to mid term--I just see a situation where most of the essential stuff that people use/need is going to retain high prices no matter what the fed does. I really hope that m thesis is wrong. Time will tell.

I am genuinely curious about what your thesis is. Their only tools are raising and lowering rates and their dialogue. Mohamed El-Arian recently said that the Feds speech has become nothing more than a play by play commentary that imposes unnecessary volatility into the markets. He believes that their speech and comments should definite a clear road map or strategy--and that doesn't seem to be happening. I don't think that the tools that the Fed has are going to make grocery stores charge less for food that people need to buy, I don't think that their tools are going to reduce the cost of rent or mortgages much (as if they reduce rates, home prices could actually go up), and I don't think that their tools are going to do much in reducing the costs of many services. i don't think the feds tools are going to be effective in reducing much demand for fuel, energy and utility costs..etc Keep in mind, I'm certainly don't want to come across as being super negative or pessimistic about things. I think we'll work our way through things and I don't think the "sky is falling". In the near to mid term--I just see a situation where most of the essential stuff that people use/need is going to retain high prices no matter what the fed does. I really hope that m thesis is wrong. Time will tell.

Their goal is not to bring prices down. That was never on the table alongside all the "soft landing" talk. The goal is merely to get them back to a point where they only increase at a rate of 2% per year. But that is 2% from this new baseline.

There is no scenario where prices come DOWN in any meaningful way without completely crashing the economy to 2008 levels or worse. That was never the goal, at least publicly.

Personally I'm skeptical they can even accomplish the goal (merely reduce the increase in prices to 2%) without crashing the economy, but that's what everyone is hoping for, and what everyone assumed we were on the verge of a few months ago. Reducing prices (deflation) was never really on the table.

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but for me the key issue is the timing of the rate cut. Meaning, there is necessarily a lag when cuts (or increases) are made versus when it is reflected in everyday metrics. I believe that the cuts maybe should happen in the midst of an environment when things are "hot" because if you wait for the economy to cool and then you cut, it will be too late and the recession will hit. I've heard some claim that it's already too late and others (like myself) who think the Fed has been wise to wait. Manipulating rates is a blunt tool not a scalpel so I hope they don't get too cute.

I think Powell will err on the side of waiting too long rather than cutting early (when things are still a bit toasty) and I like that idea. I'd rather eat several quarters of recession if it means inflation's been stamped out. The converse is to cut, potentially too early, and have inflation persistent. It's like a virus that needs to be knocked out. I'm battening down.

I think Powell will err on the side of waiting too long rather than cutting early (when things are still a bit toasty) and I like that idea. I'd rather eat several quarters of recession if it means inflation's been stamped out. The converse is to cut, potentially too early, and have inflation persistent. It's like a virus that needs to be knocked out. I'm battening down.

I agree and have been saying this since the beginning back when everyone thought we'd be getting rate cuts as early as 2023 (always crazy). If they err to one side, it's going to be waiting too long, because they screwed up last time in 2019 and caved to pressure and cut too soon, which is part of the reason we're in this mess in the first place. Granted Covid exacerbated things greatly, but things might've looked different if we were sitting at 5% when covid started and could secure the stock market for a few months with rate cuts rather than having to YOLO straight into unlimited money printing since rates were already near zero.

UWMC getting smoked last couple of days. Might be a good entry point.
Racketeering lawsuit

Market's shrugging it off so far.

@Chadstroma , I'm sure you've got a take?

Talk about a massive conflict of interest.

Gotta wonder if those big volume spikes this week that led to the decline were people with inside info getting out early or that Hedge Fund shorting in blocks.

Looks to me almost like a new way to try and short a company. Or maybe not so new, idk.
I saw another article on this today and it reminded me that I never went back to respond to this like I intended to.

From what it looks like this is little more than market manipulation. A so-called journalist report on bad dealings with UWM that the parent company of this media report has short positions on and long positions on UWM's biggest rival, Rocket.

The gist of the accusation is that UWM and brokers are guilty of steering (a big no no in the broker world). Steering is essentially moving clients to one lender over another simply because you as the broker would get paid more on it. This is just a moronic accusation as to be in compliance as a broker, you are supposed to have the same LPC (lender paid compensation) % across the board from all your wholesalers... essentially to ensure you can not be accused of steering. UWM doesn't pay any broker more for their loans over another wholesale company. So, the accusation is meritless.

Do brokers always choose the lowest lender that they have available for the client? Absolutely not. Because we would be out of business if we did. If a broker is signed up with 10 wholesalers, often those with best pricing are lenders that you only use if you absolutely need to. Why? Because they are slow or inept or have a reputation for not getting deals closed at all or otherwise very hard to work with. Hence, in order for these companies to get business they have to lower their rates in order to entice brokers to send them business. Brokers like myself are very careful to deliver great service- which is centered around making the transaction smooth and quick. We keep some of those lenders as options when we essentially have no other choice and the conversation with the client is a preface of (paraphrased of course) "Look, I can get this done when not one else can. However, it is going to suck and we may not close on time."

At times, UWM has great pricing beating out a ton of lenders... but even then, there is always some crap lender out there that would have lower pricing. But I can either streamline it for my client and close in two weeks with not a lot of docs and not having to go back and forth with the client constantly asking for more documentation or do the opposite and deliver a rate an eighth better but have a frustrated client who will never do business with me again because they don't see the difference between the crap lender with the absolute rock bottom rate and a good lender offering a good rate. UWM makes brokers look good because they help us deliver great customer service and close loans quicker than anyone else. At times, their pricing isn't the best among what I refer to as 'top tier' which are lenders that may not be as fast or as good as UWM but fairly close and are pricing better than UWM at that time.

I suspect that this whole thing is a scheme by Rocket to try to attack UWM because when it comes down to it.... they can't beat them. Their marketing, which is really what they are, isn't as effective in a purchase market as it is in a refi market. In a purchase market, people want real experts to help them and not some call center person who just learned what a mortgage was a few weeks earlier in Rocket's training program. Most realtors will look for offers from anyone other than Rocket because they have a well earned reputation of being horrible and offers not closing. Rocket has been replaced by UWM as the largest lender in the country and they had to pull back on their programs to get realtors and others licensed to essentially get them to provide them customers and getting around RESPA laws to pay them. The company doing the reporting is also clearly, without any doubt, doing this to benefit from their short positions. It would be awesome to see them get short squeezed and go bankrupt or the SEC actually doing their job and slapping them around with legal action.

I suspect that this whole thing is a scheme by Rocket
To be clear, you think Rocket is behind the class action lawsuit, or the Hunterbrook story, or both?
I think they are involved in some way... if it was just a suggestion or active direction or something in between, I don't know. That is my hunch and I have no evidence for it but it falls in line with the core values of Rocket that I have seen played out over and over and over with clients, brokers, and anyone and everyone. It is a company that cheats, steals and lies it's way every step of the way in all things that it does. Completely void of moral or ethical compass.

For UWM's part, they have made an accusation that someone at Hunterbrook is a very recent Rocket employee but Hunterbrook says that is untrue. I have no information on any of that but one thing you have to understand is that UWM vs Rocket is a very deep and very meaningful rivalry between these two organizations and most of the broker world lines up on one side or the other as well.

From a first person view, where I have dealt with UWM for several years now (heck, I was at their campus about a month ago) I have never seen anything unethical or morally questionable from them. I have only seen genuine push. In fact, I know of specific examples of where Mat Ishbia himself had a friend that he referred to a broker (because UWM doesn't do loans directly) and specifically told the broker that they did NOT have to send the loan to UWM and to do whatever made sense for the broker and client.

On the other end, I have seen firsthand, have heard secondhand stories and a very definitive industry reputation that Rocket is pretty much as slimy as a company as you can get.

So... you can take what I say with some salt as I am clearly "Team UWM" but I am so because of those reasons above. UWM isn't perfect, no organization is because organizations are made of people. There have been some choices that I thought were not the best. But I have never ever had to question how UWM does business. It just out does all other lenders and earns the business.

Do brokers always choose the lowest lender that they have available for the client? Absolutely not. Because we would be out of business if we did. If a broker is signed up with 10 wholesalers, often those with best pricing are lenders that you only use if you absolutely need to. Why? Because they are slow or inept or have a reputation for not getting deals closed at all or otherwise very hard to work with. Hence, in order for these companies to get business they have to lower their rates in order to entice brokers to send them business. Brokers like myself are very careful to deliver great service- which is centered around making the transaction smooth and quick. We keep some of those lenders as options when we essentially have no other choice and the conversation with the client is a preface of (paraphrased of course) "Look, I can get this done when not one else can. However, it is going to suck and we may not close on time."
This is what stuck out to me too.

Speaking of UWMC, got that nice big dividend posted today!
Yea, the price on the stock has sucked but that dividend is a helluva way to be patient with it.
Is it sustainable if rates don't drop? I remember looking at some point and thinking their cash + cash flow was going to require debt or equity to sustain it if volume didn't increase. I'm interested, but I haven't looked at it lately.

I agree and have been saying this since the beginning back when everyone thought we'd be getting rate cuts as early as 2023 (always crazy). If they err to one side, it's going to be waiting too long, because they screwed up last time in 2019 and caved to pressure and cut too soon, which is part of the reason we're in this mess in the first place. Granted Covid exacerbated things greatly, but things might've looked different if we were sitting at 5% when covid started and could secure the stock market for a few months with rate cuts rather than having to YOLO straight into unlimited money printing since rates were already near zero.
Except inflation is on the rise again. Can't cut now even if they wanted to. Might even want to tick it up in June.

Users who are viewing this thread