What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread: Kings win 2nd Cup in 3 seasons (1 Viewer)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think its common knowledge about Chara. Not a big deal.

Tyler Myers has the same reach and isn't half the fighter Chara is. Chara's dad was a badass wrestler. He's huge and tough and has a nasty disposition. Pretty much the ideal fighter.
Yeah, you follow it much more than I do, so any articles describing how 6'7" goons are afraid of him are news to me.

eta* Seriously, the article marveled at his junior hockey and pro hockey fighting prowess, which you'd know. I would never have thought it.

Chara looked like he could of eaten Smith, sheesh what was he thinking of fighting Chara? Geez
I read an article this year about Chara's fights. Apparently, he's somebody that nobody -- even the best of the goons -- want any part of. I was sort of surprised, but it's apparently true. Nobody wants a piece of him.

That's why the Smith thing looked weird to me, and you can see Chara offer to drop the gloves, with a scared response from Smith in real time.
Chara is 6' 9" and is a tough customer, why does it surprise you nobody wants to fight him?
It's the level of the fighting prowess described in the article?
everybody knows Chara is the best/toughest figher in the league. he just rarely fights because (a) he's way more valuable on the ice than in the box, and (b) very few players would dare drop the gloves with him.
Yeah, I get that. Don't drop or you're done. Which is why Chara threatens it on Smith today.

I was surprised Chara was that proficient.

These are kind of innocent comments. Not sure they're worth a brawl.
Just looking for clarification on your comments. Not sure that constitutes a brawl.
Sure thing.

eta* It's always personally weird to get about five comments in a row challenging your position. But you're right; it's just looking for clarification. Fine by me.
:shrug: I'm not sure what to tell you. You've made a lot of posts in this thread today and I questioned a couple of them because I didn't understand the point you were making.

Tyler Myers has the same reach and isn't half the fighter Chara is. Chara's dad was a badass wrestler. He's huge and tough and has a nasty disposition. Pretty much the ideal fighter.
yup. The fight where he re-arranged David Koci's face is arguably the most well-known fight of the past decade.

Globe and Mail doesn't list Babcock for Canada's prowess, lists Julien and Ruff.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/canada-finally-learns-how-to-win-on-a-big-international-rink/article17060925/

A quick Google search of Canada and Julien should suffice.

That's a preliminary take on my part. Canadian hockey looked like Bruin hockey, and I'll stop there.

eta* I wish I was smart enough to know what system they're running. It's ridiculous.
What?
But the vision, drawn up by a brain trust that included NHL coaches Claude Julien, Lindy Ruff and others, required the star players to buy into the system.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/51978-THNYahoo-NHL-Awards-Toughest-player-best-penalty-killer-best-fighter.html

In 1,055 NHL games, Zdeno Chara has 54 fights, according to HockeyFights.com. The frequency of those fights has tailed off since the 2004-05 lockout, as Chara became an elite defenseman that needed to stay out of the penalty box and as the rest of the league began to understand that avoiding his fists at all costs was a wise decision.

It was in October 2005 when Chara, then of the Ottawa Senators, fought Raitis Ivanans of the Montreal Canadiens, busting his face open with one punch while Ivanans was on his knees. Blood flew in several directions, and Ivanans lost some teeth. The visual was like a calling card for Chara.

In essence, Chara is like that friend of yours who has a black belt: You know they’re a weapon. They know they’re a weapon. Which is why the weapon remains holstered until absolutely necessary.

And when it is, it’s Chara time.

Chara looked like he could of eaten Smith, sheesh what was he thinking of fighting Chara? Geez
I read an article this year about Chara's fights. Apparently, he's somebody that nobody -- even the best of the goons -- want any part of. I was sort of surprised, but it's apparently true. Nobody wants a piece of him.

That's why the Smith thing looked weird to me, and you can see Chara offer to drop the gloves, with a scared response from Smith in real time.
Chara is 6' 9" and is a tough customer, why does it surprise you nobody wants to fight him?
everybody knows Chara is the best/toughest figher in the league. he just rarely fights because (a) he's way more valuable on the ice than in the box, and (b) very few players would dare drop the gloves with him.
Yeah, I get that. Don't drop or you're done. Which is why Chara threatens it on Smith today.

Just looking for clarification on your comments. Not sure that constitutes a brawl.
Sure thing.

eta* It's always personally weird to get about five comments in a row challenging your position. But you're right; it's just looking for clarification. Fine by me.
:shrug: I'm not sure what to tell you. You've made a lot of posts in this thread today and I questioned a couple of them because I didn't understand the point you were making.
Cool. Like I said, fine by me.

Globe and Mail doesn't list Babcock for Canada's prowess, lists Julien and Ruff.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/canada-finally-learns-how-to-win-on-a-big-international-rink/article17060925/

That's a preliminary take on my part. Canadian hockey looked like Bruin hockey, and I'll stop there.

eta* I wish I was smart enough to know what system they're running. It's ridiculous.
What?
But the vision, drawn up by a brain trust that included NHL coaches Claude Julien, Lindy Ruff and others, required the star players to buy into the system.
lol

Yzerman and Babcock built that team, if they didn't win every game it is on them. When they do win someone like you gives Julien credit. :lmao:

What?
lol

Yzerman and Babcock built that team, if they didn't win every game it is on them. When they do win someone like you gives Julien credit. :lmao:
Nooooooo... that's not where I'm coming from at all. Seriously, Dr. D. I'm not that much of a homer.

I think that system looked at lot like the Bruins -- if I could draw it up, I would. I can't. I'm fascinated by the fact that when the USA had the power play they couldn't break the zone, which is kind of a Bruin signature these days.

But everybody tries to do that. It's empirical, observational, and probably wrong.

I'm just not surprised Canada's lethal defensive showing comes when Julien is an assistant coach. How about we limit it to that?

yup. The fight where he re-arranged David Koci's face is arguably the most well-known fight of the past decade.
I was at that game. Koci's nose essentially exploded. Disgusting.

Sure thing.

Im wondering if Reilly smith being the brother of the ''other'' smith had anything to do with Chara`s patience and him smiling ...dont wanna go beating the snot out of a teammates brother

Just got back from TD Garden. Pretty fun atmosphere overall and I had pretty good seats. I'm sure it's already been said but the Howard clear attempt was pretty funny to me, and the Lucic-Iginla-Lucic goal was a beauty. Can't wait for the rest of the series.

Thought Seabs would get 1 game, can't think of any precedent for 3 playoff games considering the variables. non offender, made the correct call on the ice, lost seabs for the rest of the game, blues won. Wasn't expecting more than a game but arguing consistency(Torres no suspension on similiar hit to seabrook) on these rulings is beating a dead horse.

My only guess is they wanted to make the Blues happy or they would have delivered about 20 more headshots before the series was over. Even with a 2-0 series lead, I think they would be stupid enough to do that.

You Blackhawks fans are hilarious. A knee on knee followed a couple minutes later by a vicious head shot and the thinking is the NHL wanted to make St. Louis happy so they wouldn't take any cheap shots "and they'd be dumb enough to do that." I think Chicago is the team you are looking for.

You Blackhawks fans are hilarious. A knee on knee followed a couple minutes later by a vicious head shot and the thinking is the NHL wanted to make St. Louis happy so they wouldn't take any cheap shots "and they'd be dumb enough to do that." I think Chicago is the team you are looking for.
Took a long time but the Hawks have finally stooped to the Blues level. Blues are dumb, they were up 2-1 with the hawks asleep and great chance to go up 2-0 in the series and they almost blew it by starting to agitate the Hawks at the end of the 2nd, totally put a charge in them and they go up 3-2 as a result. The Blues can't help themselves.

Took a long time but the Hawks have finally stooped to the Blues level. Blues are dumb, they were up 2-1 with the hawks asleep and great chance to go up 2-0 in the series and they almost blew it by starting to agitate the Hawks at the end of the 2nd, totally put a charge in them and they go up 3-2 as a result. The Blues can't help themselves.
What level are you referencing? The level of knee on knees and targeting the head along the boards? Because I've been watching the Blues a long while and I'm failing to recall that level. Baffling how many people have posted comments about how dirty the Blues are. Most of the team has a clean record.

I'm sure if that hit was on Toews you Hawk fans would have been just as shocked as you are now to learn Polak or whoever got 3 games.

Blues don't seem dirty to me. I don't think Hitch has that reputation apart from Derian Hatcher with the Stars.

Hawks aren't dirty either.

It's an intense, physical series. Sometimes ugly things happen in those situations.

Blues don't seem dirty to me. I don't think Hitch has that reputation apart from Derian Hatcher with the Stars.

Hawks aren't dirty either.

It's an intense, physical series. Sometimes ugly things happen in those situations.
Agree, but that doesn't excuse the hit which was reckless. The penalty has been assessed, the Blackhawks are still coming out ahead on the trade and their fans still have the gall to complain about the length and call the Blues out for being dirty. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess. I'd prefer to keep that stuff at HF and off my screen, though.

My only guess is they wanted to make the Blues happy or they would have delivered about 20 more headshots before the series was over. Even with a 2-0 series lead, I think they would be stupid enough to do that.
:lmao: Where do you guys come up with this ####?
Someone has to take over for Jack Burton. :shrug:

Hoping the Kings advance a few rounds so Bucky comes back into the fold, much like most Bruins fans, he waits until the Kings are in the conference finals to care. Well played Bucky, well played.

Hoping the Kings advance a few rounds so Bucky comes back into the fold, much like most Bruins fans, he waits until the Kings are in the conference finals to care. Well played Bucky, well played.
It was so much fun to beat you guys in the ALCS. And you were better.

Lol.

eta* I think, IIRC, you and RN were whining about the same thing then. That's where I'm coming from. It's good-natured, but c'mon, mang.

And ####, if anyone understands the box plus one, please PM me. I've seen diagrams. I've played hockey for a long time. I don't get it. All I know is Julien and Lemaire wind up in the same sentence a lot.

Hate dirty play, but don't mind teams doing whatever they have to do to right matters when the league doesn't take care of things. Just takes someone crazy and willing to eat the suspension in return for really hurting one of the Bruins. Sooner or later someone will get those guys. Live by the sword...

Well there's also a new sheriff in town with Quintal taking over for Shanny, so I would assume we can throw all previous suspensions out the window and see if Stephane will be more consistent. Will need some time to get used to his decisions I think.

What level are you referencing? The level of knee on knees and targeting the head along the boards? Because I've been watching the Blues a long while and I'm failing to recall that level. Baffling how many people have posted comments about how dirty the Blues are. Most of the team has a clean record.

I'm sure if that hit was on Toews you Hawk fans would have been just as shocked as you are now to learn Polak or whoever got 3 games.
Would be 3 more games than Torres got on his hit on Seabrook a couple years ago. There's plenty of reason to think 3 games is too much from an objective point of view.

You don't think there's a reason the Hawks the 3rd least penalized team start racking up penalty minutes every game they play the Blues(2nd highest).

Lol.

eta* I think, IIRC, you and RN were whining about the same thing then. That's where I'm coming from. It's good-natured, but c'mon, mang.
It's a trend here, and I obviously wasn't talking about you. I'm talking about the guys that show up for the conference finals, ALCS, etc.

Lol.

It's a trend here, and I obviously wasn't talking about you. I'm talking about the guys that show up for the conference finals, ALCS, etc.
I didn't take it personally at all, bud.

I need more laughy emoticons here.

My main point, which wasn't expressed well, is that we beat a much better Detroit baseball team in the ALCS, and I still can't believe it.

Would be 3 more games than Torres got on his hit on Seabrook a couple years ago. There's plenty of reason to think 3 games is too much from an objective point of view.

You don't think there's a reason the Hawks the 3rd least penalized team start racking up penalty minutes every game they play the Blues(2nd highest).
So you blame the Blues for Chicago's lack of discipline? Why am I not surprised.

Honestly the fans at the Wells are pretty solid. The debate is more the money and the chance the Flyers win. I would be pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread