What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sports Teams Refusing To Play Games Out Of Protest ***Update: NBA Playoffs Look To Be Back On (1 Viewer)

Does anyone actually have police shooting stats when it comes to unarmed white people vs unarmed black people? I hear people keep saying that if Blake was white, he likely wouldn't have been shot. My gut tells me that stats will say this is not the case, but I don't know for sure.
edit: Police shooting database, 2016

Black men = shot at a rate of 6.6 per million
White men = shot at a rate of 2.9 per million

Last edited by a moderator:
Police shootings

Black men = shot at a rate of 32 per million population
Hispanic men = shot at a rate of 24 per million population
White men = shot at a rate of 13 per million population
I don't believe the stats you shared (looking at the graph right now myself) have anything to do with being unarmed.
You are correct. I did find this government study that looked at the years 2009-2012, which showed 14.8% of unarmed blacks vs. 9.4% of unarmed whites. And there's this database which allows you to filter by armed/unarmed status (it says that unarmed blacks were more than twice as likely to be shot as unarmed whites).

You are correct. I did find this government study that looked at the years 2009-2012, which showed 14.8% of unarmed blacks vs. 9.4% of unarmed whites. And there's this database which allows you to filter by armed/unarmed status (it says that unarmed blacks were more than twice as likely to be shot as unarmed whites).
OK. I will take a look. I read this this on twitter and wasn't sure what to make of it. It is twitter after-all and there was no source cited.

https://twitter.com/LeonydusJohnson/status/1299298056656035840

OK. I will take a look. I read this this on twitter and wasn't sure what to make of it. It is twitter after-all and there was no source cited.

https://twitter.com/LeonydusJohnson/status/1299298056656035840
I just tried the interactive graph at this website: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/police-shootings-2019/

I sorted by black, white, black + unarmed, white + unarmed. The numbers appear to add up for 2019 - meaning that at least for unarmed police shootings, race was not really a significant factor. Rather, it was the subject's actions (and perhaps, for some of the incidents, poor training).

The stats cannot explain or answer the experience black people have on the streets in everyday life.  And the fact that even needs to be said shows how big the chasm is that needs to be closed in America.  

It’s not just about death rates.  

sho nuff said:
From what Ive been hearing on radio (Wilde and Tauscher's radio show on ESPN Wisconsin...also had Justin Garcia who does the Bucks pre and post game radio), it was mostly sparked by George Hill.  Hill spoke after the game the other day about feeling pretty sick about everything that has been going on.  Yesterday pregame they were meeting and kept meeting after deciding not to go out there.  For hours they were actually on the phone to the Wisconsin AG and trying to get in touch with lawmakers about the situation and things...Im sure as well as with their agents and union to understand the total consequences/repercussions of what they were doing.  But they all seemed to talk about it starting in a way with Hill.
Did George Hill comment on the specifics of the case or did any other NBA players? 

I'm curious if the character and actions taken by the offender have any players questioning their decision?

Arians seems like the last person to be complaining about, as the article tacitly points out. His record of diversity hiring is impeccable. I get what he's saying; I would think that people who don't get what he's saying should read a little more between the lines of what he's saying. He's saying that protest doesn't do much and that he saw it in '68. I take this to mean that he's seen a lot of poseurs and phonies protesting and people who won't incorporate action into their personal or professional lives. It's a nuanced argument we sometimes lose in today's outrage du jour. Not that you were, but I wouldn't trample the guy before figuring out what he's really trying to say.

Like I said in this thread, it's like the Who song. They won't get fooled again by revolution.

Arians seems like the last person to be complaining about, as the article tacitly points out. His record of diversity hiring is impeccable. I get what he's saying; I would think that people who don't get what he's saying should read a little more between the lines of what he's saying. He's saying that protest doesn't do much and that he saw it in '68. I take this to mean that he's seen a lot of poseurs and phonies protesting and people who won't incorporate action into their personal or professional lives. It's a nuanced argument we sometimes lose in today's outrage du jour. Not that you were, but I wouldn't trample the guy before figuring out what he's really trying to say.

Like I said in this thread, it's like the Who song. They won't get fooled again by revolution.
Good post and good points.

He could have articulated himself better here I think. My bias from when he was the Cardinals coach and beat up on Seattle a couple times shows up here :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread