What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spielberg: Director Hall of Fame **VOTE HERE** (1 Viewer)

What movie should Steven Spielberg go into the Movie HOF with?

• Jaws

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • ET

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Jurassic Park

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Schindlers List

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • Saving Private Ryan

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1941 (JUST KIDDING)

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I do wonder the role she plays here. Are people 10 years older than you more likely to vote Jaws? 10 years younger maybe lean JP? I know JP stood out to me the way ET did for you. I remember being excited for weeks leading up to that movie. 
I read JP my freshman year in college and looked forward to the movie as well, but not in a younger person wonderment. Also after having already read the book it was easy to tell the difference in story and detail. Still enjoyed it, but in a different way as E.T.  Jaws is still a classic as well and my #2 on list. 

What does this mean? Weren’t many of the most popular movies of the ‘50s and ‘60s blockbusters of their era?

not really. Hollywood - which had blockbuster-scale flicks but didnt open em differently than other movies - was playing around with the idea of movies that created a cultural phenomenon as Love Story and The Exorcist had, but those had been a product of word of mouth. Grosses were only published in Variety, no one tried to open big, films stayed in theaters for two months and usually found their audiences that way (a LOT more people saw almost every movie in those internet-free, 3TVnetwork times). the producers saw that they had another Exorcist (a thriller based on a best-selling summer read) in Jaws so they pimped it for a big opening. I cant remember if they added theaters like they do now, but they worked like six months building the hype cuz they knew they had a flick that would pay it off on a human level, not the level of the "disaster" pictures (Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure) they'd been trying to exploit the market with. the success (and the burgeoning careers of boomer directors who dug the blockbuster concept) of Jaws seeded the ground to grow the concept of blockbusters on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Color Purple belongs on this short list IMO -- doing that movie in the 80s, when it wasn't fashionable, is a feather in his cap and it's a fantastic movie.

Jaws or Schindler's list for me.

I originally voted Jaws but after reflecting on it a bit, I'd go with E.T.

E.T. has more of the sentimentality that has marked Spielberg's work, especially later in his career. E.T. and Close Encounters are Science Fiction with a distinctly humanist bent almost like a Frank Capra film. 

I originally voted Jaws but after reflecting on it a bit, I'd go with E.T.

E.T. has more of the sentimentality that has marked Spielberg's work, especially later in his career. E.T. and Close Encounters are Science Fiction with a distinctly humanist bent almost like a Frank Capra film. 
I agree 100%  Love the call, saw them both as a kid.   I still say Jaws and JP.

The Color Purple belongs on this short list IMO -- doing that movie in the 80s, when it wasn't fashionable, is a feather in his cap and it's a fantastic movie.

Jaws or Schindler's list for me.

I mean he made Oprah seem like she had some acting skills. 

For me, Close Encounters is his best film. I imagine most would probably go with Schindler's List though. 

Close encounters was such a good movie, seems to be getting slept on.  
I thought it was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen.  I could barely stay awake.  Granted I saw it many years after it was released (probably in the mid 90's) but I had heard how good it was and finally got around to seeing it and thought it was so boring.  I barely made it through it.  In fact, I don't really remember much of it now so maybe I did fall asleep half way through.  

ETA:  Sorry forgot to list what I voted for......it was easily Jaws.  Just a fantastic movie visually, story, suspense, blockbuster, and it still holds up extremely well.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen.  I could barely stay awake.  Granted I saw it many years after it was released (probably in the mid 90's) but I had heard how good it was and finally got around to seeing it and thought it was so boring.  I barely made it through it.  In fact, I don't really remember much of it now so maybe I did fall asleep half way through.  

ETA:  Sorry forgot to list what I voted for......it was easily Jaws.  Just a fantastic movie visually, story, suspense, blockbuster, and it still holds up extremely well.  
Tried to watch it with my wife and son and they got bored too. I love slow builds with huge payoffs at the end. 

:edging:

No, see, I think it's Jurassic Park. If we're talking what logo goes on his cap in the Hall of Fame, that movie is it. It's the culmination, peak-Spielberg.

It's all the bits of his previous movies, mashed together and raised to another level. The dinosaurs are hidden for the first third of the movie, like he hides Jaws. The action scenes are right out of Raiders. There's bits of everything he's done in that one, and he really reached the peak of his craft with it. All he'd done before built up to pulling off Jurassic Park

Users who are viewing this thread