What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Speculation: Broncos-Patriots flexed in over Ravens-Chargers? (1 Viewer)

Reepicheep

Footballguy
Peter King says the NFL has the next 24 hours to decide if it wants to change up the Week 15 SnF matchup of Ravens at Chargers. When I looked over the schedule a few weeks ago I didn't think the game looked bad enough for them to bother messing with it. But now I think I'd actually be surprised if we don't get Patriots at Broncos. Thoughts?

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I don't think it will be a better game than Chargers-Ravens, I do think this will probably happen.

Tebow mania!

:tebow: :tebow: :tebow:

Here's a question, though. How many times have the Ravens been on? Would they be able to be shown as scheduled for week 15 and still be the flex for week 17 or have they hit their limit? If there's a limit, taking the Ravens off would make it possible that Bengals-Ravens would get flexed in for week 17 and it's possible* that at that point the Bengals could have the perfect win-and-in lose-and-out scenario that NBC craves. The Ravens could be facing win-and-get-a-bye lose-and-be-on-the-road scenario as well as a bonus.

Just a thought that they already be looking at contingencies for that last flex.

-QG

* - I said possible. They'd have to beat Houston, win at St Louis, and beat Arizona to get to 10-5.

Great call. This will absolutely happen - and as a Ravens fan, I'm fine with that. In fact, I wasn't crazy about them playing the late game on the West Coast preceding a short week to begin with. But they have to put Tebow Mania on national TV.

:tebow: :tebow: :tebow:Here's a question, though. How many times have the Ravens been on? Would they be able to be shown as scheduled for week 15 and still be the flex for week 17 or have they hit their limit? If there's a limit, taking the Ravens off would make it possible that Bengals-Ravens would get flexed in for week 17 and it's possible* that at that point the Bengals could have the perfect win-and-in lose-and-out scenario that NBC craves. The Ravens could be facing win-and-get-a-bye lose-and-be-on-the-road scenario as well as a bonus.Just a thought that they already be looking at contingencies for that last flex.-QG* - I said possible. They'd have to beat Houston, win at St Louis, and beat Arizona to get to 10-5.
According to Wikipedia's explanation of the rules, up to three teams can make 6 primetime appearances, and the limit for remaining teams is 5. Currently Baltimore is scheduled for 5 PT games so if correct they would still be elegible for getting flexed in week 17. But your point still stands, if the NFL has it's eye on a week 17 BAL game, it might make them more likely to flex out BAL before then. However I don't think you can rule out a potential week 17 game where DET is playing for a playoff bid and GB is playing for 16-0. For the record I counted up the big ones in terms of scheduled PT appearances, it looks like this. There may be some other 4's, not sure. The ? on DAL and GB is if the Thanksgiving games count since they were national games (despite not actually being in prime time).NO - 5PIT - 5DAL - 5 (6?)NYJ - 5PHI - 5GB - 4 (5?)ATL - 4NYG - 4CHI - 4

With SD sitting at 4-7 right now, possibly 4-8 after tonight, this is an easy decision. Den is 7-5 and in the playoff hunt. SD is in the cellar of maybe the worst division in football.

With SD sitting at 4-7 right now, possibly 4-8 after tonight, this is an easy decision. Den is 7-5 and in the playoff hunt. SD is in the cellar of maybe the worst division in football.
Doesn't CBS hold the first right of refusal on this; to hold the game at its current time to potentially use it themselves?

Yeah I'd be surprised if CBS doesn't protect that game. Looking at what they would be picking from, the only other option would be Jets/Eagles and I assume that would only be considered if Vick was guaranteed to play. Still, probably a 5% chance they protect that game over NE/DEN. Of course, there's always the case that the NFL steps in and "requests" that they let this slip to SNF.

Doesn't CBS hold the first right of refusal on this; to hold the game at its current time to potentially use it themselves?
According to the506.com, which is probably the best place on the Internet for info on this stuff, during the six flex weeks (11-16), CBS and FOX may each protect four games. But the protection decision is made after week 6, so it's unlikely they circled this one for protection. If I had to guess which games they chose at that time, I would say:12 NE-PHI13 PIT-CIN14 OAK-GB16 SD-DET

Although I don't think it will be a better game than Chargers-Ravens, I do think this will probably happen. Tebow mania!
IMO, the Ravens destroy the Chargers. The Patriots will probably also beat down the Broncos, but Tebow could make it more interesting.

Who the heck doesn't want to see Tebow vs Belichick (antichrist). Classic good vs evil. :popcorn:
Tebow drafted in the first round by satan's disciple (McDaniels). satan's disciple criticized on many fronts as a precursor to his firing in denver, but first and foremost was for the "dumb" investment in mile high jesus.

That might be the most watched regular season game ever.
:lmao:
I take it you disagree.I'd be willing to wager it will be at least top three.Doesn't even seem like a controversial opinion to me.
I'm with you. Tebow has as much name recognition as anybody in the NFL (no, really) and now he's winning games in dramatic fashion. It's a huge story, casual fans and football diehards alike will tune-in in droves for this.

That might be the most watched regular season game ever.
:lmao:
I take it you disagree.I'd be willing to wager it will be at least top three.Doesn't even seem like a controversial opinion to me.
The fragmentation of the viewing audience brought on by cable television means no football game today will ever be able to touch some of the historic records. Monday Night football is now on cable, so it will never touch the old MNF numbers. And Sunday Night football doesn't rate nearly as highly as MNF used to.The most watched regular season game ever was the 85 MNF Bears-Dolphins game, which pulled a Nielsen rating of 29.6 and a 46 share (percent of TVs in use tuned to one program). This year's Week 1 Sunday Night game between the Cowboys and Jets was the highest-ever rated Sunday Night game on NBC -- it drew a 15.3 rating and 25 share.It will be a huge game and the most watched show of the week, if it happens, but it won't come close to the historic numbers.

Like him or not, Tebow is probably the 2nd biggest story in the NFL this season, behind the Packers possibly going undefeated, so moving Denver/NE to Sunday night, if possible is a no-brainer.

:tebow: :tebow: :tebow:Here's a question, though. How many times have the Ravens been on? Would they be able to be shown as scheduled for week 15 and still be the flex for week 17 or have they hit their limit? If there's a limit, taking the Ravens off would make it possible that Bengals-Ravens would get flexed in for week 17 and it's possible* that at that point the Bengals could have the perfect win-and-in lose-and-out scenario that NBC craves. The Ravens could be facing win-and-get-a-bye lose-and-be-on-the-road scenario as well as a bonus.Just a thought that they already be looking at contingencies for that last flex.-QG* - I said possible. They'd have to beat Houston, win at St Louis, and beat Arizona to get to 10-5.
According to Wikipedia's explanation of the rules, up to three teams can make 6 primetime appearances, and the limit for remaining teams is 5. Currently Baltimore is scheduled for 5 PT games so if correct they would still be elegible for getting flexed in week 17. But your point still stands, if the NFL has it's eye on a week 17 BAL game, it might make them more likely to flex out BAL before then. However I don't think you can rule out a potential week 17 game where DET is playing for a playoff bid and GB is playing for 16-0. For the record I counted up the big ones in terms of scheduled PT appearances, it looks like this. There may be some other 4's, not sure. The ? on DAL and GB is if the Thanksgiving games count since they were national games (despite not actually being in prime time).NO - 5PIT - 5DAL - 5 (6?)NYJ - 5PHI - 5GB - 4 (5?)ATL - 4NYG - 4CHI - 4
One problem with all of this.Week 17 has no night games this year.....

Week 17 is intentionally left open for the NFL to flex the best game into. Networks have zero say in week 17 - CBS & FOX can't protect, NBC gets no input into which game airs. Biggest game of the week will air at 8:15 on NBC that day no matter what.

Week 17 is intentionally left open for the NFL to flex the best game into. Networks have zero say in week 17 - CBS & FOX can't protect, NBC gets no input into which game airs. Biggest game of the week will air at 8:15 on NBC that day no matter what.
Interesting... I thought this year was intentionally left off for the new year. I'm glad I'm wrong. :thumbup:

I think some people are having trouble wrapping their heads around the fact that the Chargers truly are a terrible football team.

(1) Tebow = $$$ and the NFL knows it.... he sells more jerseys and brings in more revenue for anyone outside of Payton Manning

(2) There are no night games during Week 17 so that no team has a short week going into the playoffs. Thus there is no MNF, not sure if there is also no SNF.

Interesting... I thought this year was intentionally left off for the new year. I'm glad I'm wrong. :thumbup:
Last year was the first year with the concept, it was neat in that it gave us a virtual playoff game in week 17 (winner of Seattle-St. Louis game would win the division and go to the playoffs). Obviously it was a bit dissapointing though as far as the quality of the teams. I don't expect we'll have the same problem this year, between BAL@CIN, DAL@NYG, DET@GB, TEN@HOU, there will almost certainly be a game between quality teams with playoffs on the line.

Last year was the first year with the concept, it was neat in that it gave us a virtual playoff game in week 17 (winner of Seattle-St. Louis game would win the division and go to the playoffs). Obviously it was a bit dissapointing though as far as the quality of the teams. I don't expect we'll have the same problem this year, between BAL@CIN, DAL@NYG, DET@GB, TEN@HOU, there will almost certainly be a game between quality teams with playoffs on the line.
I think my point about Baltimore was off the mark (or was irrelevant to the week 15 flexing) as just thinking about it you have buried Chargers team that is probably firing everyone and under-performing facing a team from a pretty small market (Baltimore) that when it's playing well is run-oriented. Contrast that with Jesus vs Sith with a compelling story line and meaningful game and it's a no-brainer.Thanks to Reepicheep for that cool chart, though. I would think only the NFL Network game would count against national appearances since the Detroit and Dallas games are on FOX and CBS.-QG

Watching Mike Francesa on YES right now. His guys called the league office to inquire about this. Francesa said "NBC wants to flex the Pats/Broncos game to Sunday night, but CBS wants to protect that game... we'll see who wins. I guess the NFL will have to decide."

:confused:

We'll see who wins? You can either protect a game or you can't.

As much as I want to see it on Sunday night, I'd be PISSED if I were CBS and the NFL gave the game to NBC.

It should stay the same. Ravens-Chargers should be a good, competitive game with at least one team going to the playoffs. The Flex thing should only be used when there's an obvious stinker. Not just as a Tebow ratings grab for NBC.

It should stay the same. Ravens-Chargers should be a good, competitive game with at least one team going to the playoffs. The Flex thing should only be used when there's an obvious stinker. Not just as a Tebow ratings grab for NBC.
No offense to Ravens fans, but their games tend to be a snooze-fest. They aren't an exciting bunch.

Watching Mike Francesa on YES right now. His guys called the league office to inquire about this. Francesa said "NBC wants to flex the Pats/Broncos game to Sunday night, but CBS wants to protect that game... we'll see who wins. I guess the NFL will have to decide."
Is the set still extremely lopsided?

If the Chargers beat Buffalo this week (and it's a big if), they'll still have a legitimate shot at winning the division and that Ravens game will be huge for them.

I think CBS had the option of protecting the Den/NE game and chose to protect another instead, so NBC may have a decent argument. CBS left the game open to being flexed.

I think CBS had the option of protecting the Den/NE game and chose to protect another instead, so NBC may have a decent argument. CBS left the game open to being flexed.
Rules are rules I guess. I just think the schedules should stay set unless the primetime game is really bad and they should do this as far ahead of time as possible. I'm thinking more of the fans who've purchased tickets having to adjust their schedules with less than two weeks notice.

If GB is 15-0, I'd say the odds of the NFL going with Det/GB for the final Sunday night game are pretty high. The only game I could possibly see trumping that would be if Dal/NYG is for the NFC East title, but even then, I think the NFL and NBC would love to have GB going for 16-0 on in prime time.

Rules are rules I guess. I just think the schedules should stay set unless the primetime game is really bad and they should do this as far ahead of time as possible. I'm thinking more of the fans who've purchased tickets having to adjust their schedules with less than two weeks notice.
It happens in college all the time and really isn't a big deal.

If GB is 15-0, I'd say the odds of the NFL going with Det/GB for the final Sunday night game are pretty high. The only game I could possibly see trumping that would be if Dal/NYG is for the NFC East title, but even then, I think the NFL and NBC would love to have GB going for 16-0 on in prime time.
Only if Detroit is in a win-and-they're-in scenario. For Week 17, the NFL is committed to having a meaningful game in prime time. Imagine Detroit finds out at 4 p.m. that they're eliminated -- sucks a lot of interest out of the game.

For Christmas (week 16) there's no flex game.

As far as the rules are understood the NFL & NBC should be able to flex this game. But nobody really knows what these discussions are like behind closed doors. With the bazillions that networks have been paying and are on the brink of increasing, I am sure these things can get contentious.

Reports are CBS is fighting the flex tooth and nail, especially after having to give Broncos-Vikings game to FOX last week. (Fallout of the Lions-Saints game being flexed in over an AFC game, leaving FOX with only two 1pm games in a week in which FOX had the double header)

It's possible this dispute is spilling over into the contract negotiations and making a complete mess of the thing.

Reports are that Kraft is fighting the flex as well. I can't blame him -- as a Ravens fan, I'm not happy with playing the night game on the West Coast, then turning around and playing Saturday (which everyone is doing since Christmas is on Sunday). At least the Ravens come home to play Cleveland - the Pats return to play Miami, which could be a tough game at this point.

As far as the rules are understood the NFL & NBC should be able to flex this game. But nobody really knows what these discussions are like behind closed doors. With the bazillions that networks have been paying and are on the brink of increasing, I am sure these things can get contentious.Reports are CBS is fighting the flex tooth and nail, especially after having to give Broncos-Vikings game to FOX last week. (Fallout of the Lions-Saints game being flexed in over an AFC game, leaving FOX with only two 1pm games in a week in which FOX had the double header) It's possible this dispute is spilling over into the contract negotiations and making a complete mess of the thing.
Ah, I forgot that they missed out on :tebow: last week because the game got switched to FOX. CBS played good soldier now so they surely would feel like they were shafted if :tebow: gets flexed on them to NBC. Makes a lot more sense now.-QG

Reports are that Kraft is fighting the flex as well. I can't blame him -- as a Ravens fan, I'm not happy with playing the night game on the West Coast, then turning around and playing Saturday (which everyone is doing since Christmas is on Sunday). At least the Ravens come home to play Cleveland - the Pats return to play Miami, which could be a tough game at this point.
It is also my understanding that Kraft has some business ties with CBS. Probably not significant enough to be the reason to pipe up about this though.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChargersPRguy Bill Johnston

Chargers-Ravens game to stay on NBC's Sunday Night Football on Dec. 18.

4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Retweeted by @AdamSchefter

ChargersPRguy Bill JohnstonChargers-Ravens game to stay on NBC's Sunday Night Football on Dec. 18.4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet ReplyRetweeted by @AdamSchefter
Unless oakland and denver start losing and the chargers keep on winning this does not make a whole lot of sense.I guess there was to many other variables involved, but what is the point of having the flex option if we are going to probably be viewing a less appealing game?

I would love to know the behind-the-scenes story that went into this. Sounds like it was a huge brawl between CBS and the NFL, with Kraft on the side of CBS. Kind of disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread