What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Soriano P ATL to DL and MOYLAN TO DL TITLE changed (1 Viewer)

Angry Beavers

Footballguy
Just posted on Rotoworld...

for those trolling for saves

AB

Edited on 4.15.08:

Braves placed RHP Peter Moylan on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 12, with a sore right elbow.

The Braves are being awfully secretive this year, so there's no telling how long Moylan will out. It's a good bet that Rafael Soriano will beat him back from the disabled list. In the meantime, Manny Acosta becomes the favorite for saves in the Atlanta pen. He isn't pitching any better than Blaine Boyer, but he was getting more work in key games.

Last edited by a moderator:
boom king said:
Angry Beavers said:
Just posted on Rotoworld...for those trolling for savesAB
no way, i picked him up this morning on a whim... (as in whim i saw soriano had "arm soreness")seriously, this guy is the pitching equivalent of rocco baldelli
:mellow: Picked up Moylan on a whim at 8:37 PM :excited:

Expect at the very least a committee between Acosta and Moylan. Cox said Acosta would have gotten the save opp had the opportunity presented itself on Monday. Is that because he has the leg up? or because Moylan pitched both Saturday and Sunday? Probably some combo of both. I'm just staying away.

If the Braves keep playing the way the are, there won't be many save chances for either of them
The offense is fine, the top of the order gets on base and there's a lot of power in the middle, it'd be nice to see them get more aggressive on the base path's though. The bullpen is pitching poorly, but if they can get 6-7 innings on Smoltz, Hudson, and Glavine days some save opp's will present themselves. I'm still big on Jurrjens and think they can consistently get 6 innings from him too, even on a limited pitch count, he's very efficient on the bump. Chuck James though, two pitch pitchers with an 89 mph heater that struggle with their command typically do not perform too well. I'd love to see Hampton in there instead, but...well...you know.

I think Acosta will certainly get a shot to close some games.

On Monday night, the Braves were up 1-0 and had decided that Soriano would be inactive for the game

to rest his elbow. Moylan pitched in a middle relief role, and Bobby Cox told

Acosta that he would be the closer. Acosta wasn't needed because one of the other

relievers gave up a 2 run shot in the bottom of the eighth, but Acosta was prepared to

come in to close with Soriano out.

The Braves have at least spent some effort grooming Acosta to be

a closer in the future. Acosta served in the closer's role last year in AAA, going 9-3

with a 2.26 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, and 56 Ks in 59 innings. After being called up late in the

year, Acosta went 1-1, with a 2.28 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and 22 Ks in 23 innings in the majors. Acosta has a mid-90's fastball and a very strong curveball that has the potential to be dominating, although he still struggles with his control at times.

I think Acosta at least has a good chance of picking up some saves while Soriano is out. I think that Moylan is still the better pitcher, but it would not surprise me to see Cox use both Moylan and Acosta in save situations while Soriano is out. If you are desperate for saves and Moylan is not available, I think Acosta is a good pickup.

On Monday night, the Braves were up 1-0 and had decided that Soriano would be inactive for the game

Acosta that he would be the closer. Acosta wasn't needed because one of the other

relievers gave up a 2 run shot in the bottom of the eighth, but Acosta was prepared to

a closer in the future. Acosta served in the closer's role last year in AAA, going 9-3

with a 2.26 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, and 56 Ks in 59 innings. After being called up late in the

year, Acosta went 1-1, with a 2.28 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and 22 Ks in 23 innings in the majors. Acosta has a mid-90's fastball and a very strong curveball that has the potential to be dominating, although he still struggles with his control at times.

I think Acosta at least has a good chance of picking up some saves while Soriano is out. I think that Moylan is still the better pitcher, but it would not surprise me to see Cox use both Moylan and Acosta in save situations while Soriano is out. If you are desperate for saves and Moylan is not available, I think Acosta is a good pickup.
:lmao: He was held out of Mondays game cuz he pitched Sat & Sun.

Dear Bobby Cox,

Don't ruin that Acosta kid the way you did Joey Devine. You know, putting him into closing situations before he was ready.

Thanks,

TD

Picked this up elsewhere:

In his live chat today, Eric Karabell believes that Acosta is the one who will be filling in in Atlanta.

Dave: Who's closing in Atlanta now?

Eric Karabell: (11:03 AM ET ) Good question Dave! Where's Mark Wohlers when the team needs him? Conventional wisdom would say Peter Moylan is next in line, but the Braves seem to like Manny Acosta, and he was the one who would have closed if a save chance arose on Monday. Moylan pitched in the seventh inning. This is telling. Rafael Soriano might not be out very long, but Acosta seems like he could get the first post-Soriano save chance.

now I really don't know what to do so screw it - I now own Moylan and Acosta in both rotoleagues....

Picked this up elsewhere:In his live chat today, Eric Karabell believes that Acosta is the one who will be filling in in Atlanta. Dave: Who's closing in Atlanta now? Eric Karabell: (11:03 AM ET ) Good question Dave! Where's Mark Wohlers when the team needs him? Conventional wisdom would say Peter Moylan is next in line, but the Braves seem to like Manny Acosta, and he was the one who would have closed if a save chance arose on Monday. Moylan pitched in the seventh inning. This is telling. Rafael Soriano might not be out very long, but Acosta seems like he could get the first post-Soriano save chance.
:football: Acardo should be a stone cold lock for short term saves for one reason only - shady picked up Moylan.

Picked this up elsewhere:In his live chat today, Eric Karabell believes that Acosta is the one who will be filling in in Atlanta. Dave: Who's closing in Atlanta now? Eric Karabell: (11:03 AM ET ) Good question Dave! Where's Mark Wohlers when the team needs him? Conventional wisdom would say Peter Moylan is next in line, but the Braves seem to like Manny Acosta, and he was the one who would have closed if a save chance arose on Monday. Moylan pitched in the seventh inning. This is telling. Rafael Soriano might not be out very long, but Acosta seems like he could get the first post-Soriano save chance.
:homer: Acardo should be a stone cold lock for short term saves for one reason only - shady picked up Moylan.
:lmao: 100% right. So I shouldve picked them both up :lmao:

In his live chat today, Eric Karabell believes that Acosta is the one who will be filling in in Atlanta.

Eric Karabell: (11:03 AM ET ) Good question Dave! Where's Mark Wohlers when the team needs him? Conventional wisdom would say Peter Moylan is next in line, but the Braves seem to like Manny Acosta, and he was the one who would have closed if a save chance arose on Monday. Moylan pitched in the seventh inning. This is telling. Rafael Soriano might not be out very long, but Acosta seems like he could get the first post-Soriano save chance.
:popcorn: Acardo Acosta should be a stone cold lock for short term saves for one reason only - shady picked up Moylan.
fixed

:popcorn: Acardo Acosta should be a stone cold lock for short term saves for one reason only - shady picked up Moylan.
fixed
yeah that dude

:( He was held out of Mondays game cuz he pitched Sat & Sun.
Moylan pitched 2/3rds of an inning on Monday, coming in to relieve Glavine in the 7th. It was his third day in a row pitching, so perhaps Bobby Cox preferred to use him to get a few outs in middle relief rather than putting him in the closer's role after pitching two straight days, but the point is that both Moylan and Acosta were available to pitch on Monday and Acosta was designated as the closer.

:goodposting: He was held out of Mondays game cuz he pitched Sat & Sun.
Moylan pitched 2/3rds of an inning on Monday, coming in to relieve Glavine in the 7th. It was his third day in a row pitching, so perhaps Bobby Cox preferred to use him to get a few outs in middle relief rather than putting him in the closer's role after pitching two straight days, but the point is that both Moylan and Acosta were available to pitch on Monday and Acosta was designated as the closer.
Yeah I misread rotoworlds quote

How long till the true closer is back, Gonzo, assuming Soriano is out for good?
From everything I've read Soriano is nowhere near out for good, he may be back before the month's over. As for Gonzalez, he's due back at the end of May.

Right now, they are projected Gonzalez to return in early June. Gonzalez started pitching live batting practice this past week and could possibly pitch in extended spring training games as early as next week. If you have an open DL spot that you can stash Gonzalez, he might be worth a pickup in NL-only leagues until more news is known about Soriano's injury.

From everything I've read Soriano is nowhere near out for good, he may be back before the month's over. As for Gonzalez, he's due back at the end of May.
Latest update on Gonzalez from Apr 8th
The Braves believe they'll have left-hander back by the first week of June, and he continues to buoy their confidence with steady progress in his recovery from May 31 elbow ligament replacement surgery.He faced hitters in live batting practice during the weekend and next week he's scheduled to see his first game action in nearly a year when he pitches in the extended-spring training program in Florida.

Announced less than 20 minutes ago:

Braves placed RHP Peter Moylan on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 12, with a sore right elbow.

The Braves are being awfully secretive this year, so there's no telling how long Moylan will out. It's a good bet that Rafael Soriano will beat him back from the disabled list. In the meantime, Manny Acosta becomes the favorite for saves in the Atlanta pen. He isn't pitching any better than Blaine Boyer, but he was getting more work in key games.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=4481

This is from Rotoworld -

un#######believable....

luckily I have Acosta and Moylan in both roto leagues I do........

(of course I have to live with having Moylan in my starting lineup the rest of the week :lmao: )

Last edited by a moderator:
When I grabbed Moylan earlier in the week, someone in my league picked up Acosta...

Therefore I'm picking up Blaine Boyer! Excellent Kper9 ratio so far.

Eh, maybe Acosta gets injured...

Acosta's #s stink.
Sample size?
Last year, Acosta had a 2.28 ERA, a 1.14 WHIP, and 22 Ks in 23.2 innings pitched.Acosta started the year with a terrible outing against Pittsburgh, giving up 3 hits and 4 ER in two-thirds of an inning.However, since that one bad outing, he has pitched 4.1 innings, allowed no earned runs, 2 hits, and struck out 3. So, he's had one bad outing, but outside of that Acosta has been very solid both last year and this year.

He is eligible to come off of the 15-day DL on April 23rd. I don't think there has been any word yet on if he will stay on the DL longer, although I know that the elbow soreness has been bothering him for awhile. I think it will just depend on how Soriano feels in the coming weeks.

You guys think Moylan has any value going forward? I passed on using my waiver priority for Acosta.

Users who are viewing this thread