What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solo: A Star Wars Movie (1 Viewer)

They made a really cool Star Wars movie and it is a shame all these idiots were ripping a movie before it was even out. I mean that is the most insane thing ever.
You can go back in this thread alone.  You will see the disgusting glee at which certain posters constantly posted the now moronic articles.   

I could give a rats ### what the critics think about Solo, or about how much money it made.

I never care about critics but if I enjoy a movie and want to see more of it, I am always hopeful it does well in the theaters as the money matters to the suits in the studios when they make fiduciary decisions with hundreds of millions of dollars invested in each movie.

You can go back in this thread alone.  You will see the disgusting glee at which certain posters constantly posted the now moronic articles.   

I never care about critics but if I enjoy a movie and want to see more of it, I am always hopeful it does well in the theaters as the money matters to the suits in the studios when they make fiduciary decisions with hundreds of millions of dollars invested in each movie.
if those articles appeared prior to reshooting what is routinely thought to be 70 percent of the movie after those articles came out, that somehow disproves the articles?

if those articles appeared prior to reshooting what is routinely thought to be 70 percent of the movie after those articles came out, that somehow disproves the articles?
I dont remember seeing any follow up stories saying the movie was bad, but now is totally awesome, go see it. It's not a fair representation of what the final version is. And that absolutely contributed to the lower numbers

I dont remember seeing any follow up stories saying the movie was bad, but now is totally awesome, go see it. 
of course that would never happen.  That would take a modicum of integrity from the reporters or from the posters who fell for it hook, line and sinker.

What was the battle cry before the movie from people who had not even seen a second of footage? Alden Ehrenreich could not act a lick.

What was said after the movie from people who actually, you know, saw it?  Jesus, he did a decent job as Han.

I have gone back three pages in this thread and there is one person who said they didnt like it. 

Just read some articles and while the movie may not be a smash box office success, no one is really saying the movie is bad. There is no way Disney is going to miss out on how Han muffed his drug deal with Jabba. 

And there is a lot more they can do since I think its 10 or 15 years before Han meets Luke and Obi Wan. 
Don't be surprised to see that as a main plot point in a Boba Fett movie. 

of course that would never happen.  That would take a modicum of integrity from the reporters or from the posters who fell for it hook, line and sinker.

What was the battle cry before the movie from people who had not even seen a second of footage? Alden Ehrenreich could not act a lick.

What was said after the movie from people who actually, you know, saw it?  Jesus, he did a decent job as Han.
I actually thought he did a tremendous job. Han Solo was always....always my favorite character from the Star Wars universe. Harrison Ford is one of my all time favorite actors. This guy did a great job as a very young Han Solo. He even had the mannerisms down really well. I had an ear to ear smile on my face the entire time I watched this movie.

Such a huge miss if people let pre-release BS cloud their view and give them false pre-conceptions about what is arguably a top 5 Star Wars film in my book. Screw it....it is.

Empire

New Hope

Jedi

R1

Solo

That is my top tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from seeing it.  It was alright.  Not horrible.  I think they've started trying too hard to connect things in these Star Wars movies.  No one barely even noticed Han's dice in the old movies (were they really even in more than one?) but now after The Last Jedi and this they're suddenly some iconic Star Wars item.  I'm absolutely shocked that Chewbacca didn't get his bowcaster in this movie.

Speaking of Chewbacca, can someone explain to me the timeline between this and when he was with Yoda on Kashyyyk?  And are we really to believe that he was eating people down in his cage?

Also, we didn't even really see how the middle/front came off the Falcon other than they crashed.  Pretty clean break.

Alden Ehrenreich could not act a lick.

I actually thought he did a tremendous job.
All the talk about needing a coach on the set got expectations so low, most people thought he did a pretty good job.  I even said he did okay.  He was pretty crappy though, or maybe it was just the dialog, but it was pretty terrible at points.  The one part standing out to me right now is towards the beginning when he gets separated from Khalisi and was all yelling. 

I don't recall any I'd the mannerisms either.  Ford has a pretty distinct smirk. 

All the talk about needing a coach on the set got expectations so low, most people thought he did a pretty good job.  I even said he did okay.  He was pretty crappy though, or maybe it was just the dialog, but it was pretty terrible at points.  The one part standing out to me right now is towards the beginning when he gets separated from Khalisi and was all yelling. 

I don't recall any I'd the mannerisms either.  Ford has a pretty distinct smirk. 
Pre-movie bull#### aside, he did a great job in the role. In a very, very hard role to fill.

Also, we didn't even really see how the middle/front came off the Falcon other than they crashed.  Pretty clean break.
Hmm.  Second time this has come up in this thread. Seems like you must have missed that (a) Lando had the Falcon outfitted with an escape pod and (b) Han jettisoned it so that the giant maw creature would chase it down the maw instead of continuing to pursue the Falcon. 

I just got back from seeing it.  It was alright.  Not horrible.  I think they've started trying too hard to connect things in these Star Wars movies.  No one barely even noticed Han's dice in the old movies (were they really even in more than one?) but now after The Last Jedi and this they're suddenly some iconic Star Wars item.  I'm absolutely shocked that Chewbacca didn't get his bowcaster in this movie.

Speaking of Chewbacca, can someone explain to me the timeline between this and when he was with Yoda on Kashyyyk?  And are we really to believe that he was eating people down in his cage?

As we were driving home yesterday I was mentioning how the MF went from "one piece" to a pronged front, and I was starting to say "How did that even hap--....OH!  It was when he released the escape pod as a distraction for that space monster!"  So yeah, that was it. :)  

Really liked it.  REALLY liked it.  It's just behind Jedi/FA/Rogue One for me along with Last Jedi.  I wish Woody had not been Woody. I wish Khaleesi had not been Khaleesi.  But I loved Glover and I was fine with Han and I loved all of the backstory stuff with Han and Chewie and Lando and the Falcon and the blaster and the card games and Lando being a cheat and the Kessel Run and rounding down to 12 parsecs and the gambit on Tatooine that is to come.  As we left the theater the first thing my 13 year old son said was "That was SO cool......"  What more do I need?

We both agreed that when Han and Chewie first saw the Falcon and the Star Wars theme played for the first time....chills.

I read too much of this thread pre-movie, so I knew Maul was coming.  Still cool. My one question: Was he already part of The Empire?  Does that mean Crimson Dawn is part of The Empire?  Sorry, not enough of a nerd to know.

Hmm.  Second time this has come up in this thread. Seems like you must have missed that (a) Lando had the Falcon outfitted with an escape pod and (b) Han jettisoned it so that the giant maw creature would chase it down the maw instead of continuing to pursue the Falcon. 

As we were driving home yesterday I was mentioning how the MF went from "one piece" to a pronged front, and I was starting to say "How did that even hap--....OH!  It was when he released the escape pod as a distraction for that space monster!"  So yeah, that was it. :)  
Oh geez, totally missed that.  Thanks!

I read too much of this thread pre-movie, so I knew Maul was coming.  Still cool. My one question: Was he already part of The Empire?  Does that mean Crimson Dawn is part of The Empire?  Sorry, not enough of a nerd to know.

Most of his story we knew from Phantom Menace was all pre-Empire and the story that came to light with the Clone Wars has him in exile for a long time (spider legs in a garbage hole) and then as he is brought back to mental health (via Mother Talzin) and physical health (via robotic legs), he spent the rest of his days as kind of a freelance gangster.   With he and Savage Opress wiping out the leaders of the Dark Sun syndicate forming the Shadow Collective, and the subsequent takeover of Mandalore / defeat of Pre Viszla / Maul head of the Mandalorian Death Watch -- I guess it's open to interpretation if Maul did all this for his own profit and power, or if it was solely a revenge path just to reel Kenobi in because of his affection for Duchess Satine Kryze.  Obi Wan had a big ol jedi-boner for Satine, and (Spoilers abound, Duh: ) Maul winds up killing her in front of OWK's eyes shortly after Maul takes over the Death Watch.

The timeline of Maul appearing in the Solo movie is only about 10 years after Palpatine and Vader-by-way-of-Anakin teaming up at the end of Revenge of the Sith, and that is really where the Empire started.  In the movie, Maul talks about Qi'ra returning to Dathomir (Maul's home planet, also home to his now-dead apprentice and former asskickinBroheim Savage Opress and the Nightsisters) -- No one on Dathomir is any really friend of the empire nor the Siths.   They had a complicated (sometimes partnering but never trusting) relationship with Count Dooku / General Grevious and the Separatists -- Dooku's main assassin for a time was Asaaj Ventriss (a nightsister) and then Savage Opress was offered as a replacement after Dooku and Asaaj had a violent split.   Dooku eventually orders an army to Dathomir and wipes out almost all of the Nightsisters.  

Sometime inbetween the timeline of the end of Solo and the before the storyline of RogueOne/NewHope, Maul finds out Kenobi is on Tattooine (this would be somewhere in the window of Luke roughly being a 10-15 year old) -- Maul goes to Tattooine to face ObiWan out in the desert at night and Kenobi kills him for good this time.   

So, my take (based on what we know via the Clone Wars and Rebels series, as well as speculation I've read otherwise ) is that Maul was not before, nor ever really part of the Empire, and the same goes for Crimson Dawn.  Crimson Dawn is likely another crime faction,  like the Maul-lead Shadow Collective.  They do horrible stuff and they are legit "bad guys", but distinct from and not part of the Palpatine/Vader-centric Empire.  

:nerd:    I really can't recommend the animated Clone Wars and Rebels enough.  I went from movie-liking Star Wars nerd into these a couple years ago -- They were on my radar for a long time but I wanted to wait until my boy was old enough to watch them with me.   They're great -- the backstory provided and context really help understand the otherwise forgettable plot presented of the abortion-worthy Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith movies.  

Most of his story we knew from Phantom Menace was all pre-Empire and the story that came to light with the Clone Wars has him in exile for a long time (spider legs in a garbage hole) and then as he is brought back to mental health (via Mother Talzin) and physical health (via robotic legs), he spent the rest of his days as kind of a freelance gangster.   With he and Savage Opress wiping out the leaders of the Dark Sun syndicate forming the Shadow Collective, and the subsequent takeover of Mandalore / defeat of Pre Viszla / Maul head of the Mandalorian Death Watch -- I guess it's open to interpretation if Maul did all this for his own profit and power, or if it was solely a revenge path just to reel Kenobi in because of his affection for Duchess Satine Kryze.  Obi Wan had a big ol jedi-boner for Satine, and (Spoilers abound, Duh: ) Maul winds up killing her in front of OWK's eyes shortly after Maul takes over the Death Watch.

The timeline of Maul appearing in the Solo movie is only about 10 years after Palpatine and Vader-by-way-of-Anakin teaming up at the end of Revenge of the Sith, and that is really where the Empire started.  In the movie, Maul talks about Qi'ra returning to Dathomir (Maul's home planet, also home to his now-dead apprentice and former asskickinBroheim Savage Opress and the Nightsisters) -- No one on Dathomir is any really friend of the empire nor the Siths.   They had a complicated (sometimes partnering but never trusting) relationship with Count Dooku / General Grevious and the Separatists -- Dooku's main assassin for a time was Asaaj Ventriss (a nightsister) and then Savage Opress was offered as a replacement after Dooku and Asaaj had a violent split.   Dooku eventually orders an army to Dathomir and wipes out almost all of the Nightsisters.  

Sometime inbetween the timeline of the end of Solo and the before the storyline of RogueOne/NewHope, Maul finds out Kenobi is on Tattooine (this would be somewhere in the window of Luke roughly being a 10-15 year old) -- Maul goes to Tattooine to face ObiWan out in the desert at night and Kenobi kills him for good this time.   

So, my take (based on what we know via the Clone Wars and Rebels series, as well as speculation I've read otherwise ) is that Maul was not before, nor ever really part of the Empire, and the same goes for Crimson Dawn.  Crimson Dawn is likely another crime faction,  like the Maul-lead Shadow Collective.  They do horrible stuff and they are legit "bad guys", but distinct from and not part of the Palpatine/Vader-centric Empire.  

:nerd:    I really can't recommend the animated Clone Wars and Rebels enough.  I went from movie-liking Star Wars nerd into these a couple years ago -- They were on my radar for a long time but I wanted to wait until my boy was old enough to watch them with me.   They're great -- the backstory provided and context really help understand the otherwise forgettable plot presented of the abortion-worthy Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith movies.  
So wait....Solo is after Maul "died" in Phantom Menace?  I guess that flew way over my head.

So wait....Solo is after Maul "died" in Phantom Menace?  I guess that flew way over my head.
Maul did not really end up dying in Phantom Menace. He was put back together with robotic legs. He becomes a crime lord.

Watch The Clone Wars and Rebels. They are animated series which really dig into a lot more lore in the Star Wars Universe.

On another note....taking my mom to see Solo tomorrow. She loves Star Wars movies too. Can't wait to see it again one more time on the silver screen.

Yep.  From the movies, Phantom Menace is the first one in the storyline.   All the movies in chronological order:

Phantom Menace (Maul's first on screen "death" by Young Obiwan after Maul kills Qui Gon Jinn)

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

Solo (Maul cameo)

Rogue One

New Hope 

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Force Awakens

Last Jedi 

The correlation between complaints and missing obvious things that happened in the movie is fairly strong in these threads.

Wow.  Now it seems really obvious.  I guess I just thought Maul really died.  Will have to check out those animated shows.

For people that don't like the BBY time line, here is the simplified time line using Phantom Menace as Time 0.  The numbers represents years that have past since time 0

Phantom Menace: 0

Attack of Clone: 10

Revenge of the Sith: 13

Solo: 20

Rogue One: 32*

A New Hope: 32

Empire Strikes Back: 35

Return of the Jedi: 36

The Force Awakens: 66

The Last Jedi: 66

*This is for the majority of the movie.  The beginning of the movie is set many years earlier.

Wow.  Now it seems really obvious.  I guess I just thought Maul really died.  Will have to check out those animated shows.
Rebels has some slow parts but it’s a pretty amazing wrap-up. Haven’t seen clone wars yet. 

I want a new Star Wars trilogy that takes place soon after Jedi. The new Han can play Han again. Sebastian Stan who is Hamill's doppleganger can play Luke. Throw in Chewie , the droids, a stand in for Leia and let's get it done.
I would love this but my god imagine the dork ### fan freakout. 

Saw it again this weekend. Loved it. Only nitpicks are Woody (not that he can't act, he's just Woody in every role), and I have no idea where everyone thought they were going/how they were going to get anywhere every time they threatened to just leave and start ambling through the dunes when they were on the refining planet.

So Smack Tripper puts out that one article over and over and quotes it like a priest quotes the Bible. Tripper swears nobody at Disney wants to see it because they hadn't released a trailer 6 months out, then they release the trailer during the Super Bowl. Movie comes out Memorial Weekend, three weeks after IW and a week after Dead Pool 2 and despite pretty much everyone in this thread saying it is a good to great movie (myself included), he says the box office vindicates his position. But the fact of the matter is the movie is really good and the article was a joke and didn't really say anything other than there was turmoil on the set (duh, the directors were fired). But despite all that, this was a really good movie I put right with Rogue One and right behind Empire and a New Hope. 

The box office take really has nothing to do with the movie and everything to do with A) Timing of the release B) Very little pre-hype marketing by Disney C) Jackholes who took some click bate piece of trash articles as gospel and stood on their digital pulpits and preached as such. 

But hey, keep doubling down brother. You are nothing if not committed. Totally and completely wrong, but committed. Cheers to you :banned:

So Smack Tripper puts out that one article over and over and quotes it like a priest quotes the Bible. Tripper swears nobody at Disney wants to see it because they hadn't released a trailer 6 months out, then they release the trailer during the Super Bowl. Movie comes out Memorial Weekend, three weeks after IW and a week after Dead Pool 2 and despite pretty much everyone in this thread saying it is a good to great movie (myself included), he says the box office vindicates his position. But the fact of the matter is the movie is really good and the article was a joke and didn't really say anything other than there was turmoil on the set (duh, the directors were fired). But despite all that, this was a really good movie I put right with Rogue One and right behind Empire and a New Hope. 

The box office take really has nothing to do with the movie and everything to do with A) Timing of the release B) Very little pre-hype marketing by Disney C) Jackholes who took some click bate piece of trash articles as gospel and stood on their digital pulpits and preached as such. 

But hey, keep doubling down brother. You are nothing if not committed. Totally and completely wrong, but committed. Cheers to you :banned:
Applause dot gif.

So why did it flop?  

Missed this post earlier, came to bump this thread , because I finally saw it tonight, and I will say, I loved it.   Can't say enough good, not sure if its washing the taste of last jedi out of my mouth or lowered expectations but so many things worked here.  Loved the pacing, loved the grit and the murk in the design and feel and I think its somewhat validating that its not a matter of an anti SJW feel or being anti woman, because it all worked here because it was written well and put together well and it makes sense.  

So... Im not sure what your point is?  

Are you saying Memorial Day, when much of the country has an extra day off, is now a BAD time to release a movie?   

Your two points I bolded contradict each other, you're saying they didn't hype the movie enough but when I pointed out they didn't have a trailer out, I was somehow wrong?  

In regard to point C, none of what you say makes any of the "piece of trash" articles wrong, unless having to reshoot reportedly 70 percent of the movie is a good sign?  I can assure you its not a good thing for the bottom line to basically redo 2/3 of a movie.  Do we apply Ship of Thesus logic here if they replaced all of which the early bad press was based on?

In regard to point A, what release timing are you talking about?  Something beyond Memorial Day, that which many major movies have been released in.  I'd bet if you did a box office breakdown since 1975, which is kind of acknowledged as the birth of the blockbuster era, more top movies from each year will be released in the memorial day window than any other day.

I feel bad for this movie, I'd like to actually see a sequel, and we won't get it because the toxic funk of the disaster of Last Jedi sunk it.  And now they're tearing up all their blueprints for future films. 

I feel like the Lucasfilm/Kennedy/Disney compass is spinning like a top and they couldn't get out their own way in knowing what they had here, because none of the feeling of this movie was in the trailer for me.  And thats because they buried Eldenrich and I'll leave with this article that says everything FAR better than I could but in short, if they didn't believe in Eldrich enough to push him in the trailer, why should an audience put faith in him:

https://deadline.com/2018/06/disney-solo-stumble-poor-marketing-not-galactic-star-wars-issue-analyst-1202403154/

But the real answer is, Last Jedi was such a horrible horrible disaster nightmare of a film, it killed off the casuals.  Who are the people the movie went out of its way to insult on screen and in social media.

The movie was such a flop that the studio announced this past week that that will not be making any further stand alone star wars movies. 

The movie was such a flop that the studio announced this past week that that will not be making any further stand alone star wars movies. 
The studio very literally did not say this. 

Some of y’all need to start reading a little harder. 

The studio very literally did not say this. 

Some of y’all need to start reading a little harder. 
Really?

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/there-will-be-no-more-star-wars-spin-offs-for-now.html

There Will Be No More Star Wars Spinoffs, for Now

By Anne Victoria Clark

Well, just look at what you’ve done. Not enough of you went to see Solo and now all the other Star Wars spinoffs have been put on hold. We hope you’re all reaaaaalllly pleased with yourselves, because according to a report by Collider, Lucasfilm has decided to pivot its efforts away from spinoffs. Instead, it will be focusing on the final installment in the current trilogy, Star Wars: Episode IX, and then beginning work on the next trilogy.

The move comes after Solo: A Star Wars Story, the film that was only the second installment in the A Star Wars Story spinoff anthology, bombed at the box office. So now, Lucasfilm is turning this car around and there will be no Obi-Wan movie, no Boba Fett movie, and no soft-serve ice cream for anyone. For now.

You said the studio. The studio came out and denied it. You’re quoting an article with an anonymous source. There is a sizeable difference.

Describing the news as “inaccurate,” sources at Lucasfilm reportedly assured Disney-owned ABC News that there still are “multiple” Star Wars projects outside the main saga titles still in the works.

“Lucasfilm told ABC News there are still "multiple" Star Wars films currently in development that have not been officially announced,” ABC reports. “Those projects are moving forward separate from an already-announced Star Wars trilogy being overseen by The Last Jedidirector Rian Johnson and another series of movies from Game of Thrones producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.”

So why did it flop?  

Missed this post earlier, came to bump this thread , because I finally saw it tonight, and I will say, I loved it.   Can't say enough good, not sure if its washing the taste of last jedi out of my mouth or lowered expectations but so many things worked here.  Loved the pacing, loved the grit and the murk in the design and feel and I think its somewhat validating that its not a matter of an anti SJW feel or being anti woman, because it all worked here because it was written well and put together well and it makes sense.  

So... Im not sure what your point is?  

Are you saying Memorial Day, when much of the country has an extra day off, is now a BAD time to release a movie?   

Your two points I bolded contradict each other, you're saying they didn't hype the movie enough but when I pointed out they didn't have a trailer out, I was somehow wrong?  

In regard to point C, none of what you say makes any of the "piece of trash" articles wrong, unless having to reshoot reportedly 70 percent of the movie is a good sign?  I can assure you its not a good thing for the bottom line to basically redo 2/3 of a movie.  Do we apply Ship of Thesus logic here if they replaced all of which the early bad press was based on?

In regard to point A, what release timing are you talking about?  Something beyond Memorial Day, that which many major movies have been released in.  I'd bet if you did a box office breakdown since 1975, which is kind of acknowledged as the birth of the blockbuster era, more top movies from each year will be released in the memorial day window than any other day.

I feel bad for this movie, I'd like to actually see a sequel, and we won't get it because the toxic funk of the disaster of Last Jedi sunk it.  And now they're tearing up all their blueprints for future films. 

I feel like the Lucasfilm/Kennedy/Disney compass is spinning like a top and they couldn't get out their own way in knowing what they had here, because none of the feeling of this movie was in the trailer for me.  And thats because they buried Eldenrich and I'll leave with this article that says everything FAR better than I could but in short, if they didn't believe in Eldrich enough to push him in the trailer, why should an audience put faith in him:

https://deadline.com/2018/06/disney-solo-stumble-poor-marketing-not-galactic-star-wars-issue-analyst-1202403154/

But the real answer is, Last Jedi was such a horrible horrible disaster nightmare of a film, it killed off the casuals.  Who are the people the movie went out of its way to insult on screen and in social media.
I like how you focus on Memorial Day and ignore the fact that it was released 3 weeks after IW and 1 week after Deadpool 2. 

And didn't the article say that the lead couldn't act? My eyes tell me different. 

The article said there was turmoil on the set. That much was true. They fired the directors so, da-doi. But then it basically made a bunch of crap up based on that bit of fact to reel in a bunch of suckers. Didn't it basically say the movie was going to be awful? I could be mistaken. It's been a while since I read it since you know, I try to hit the back button as soon as I recognize click bait. 

Users who are viewing this thread