What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Soldier Field Turf Condition (1 Viewer)

dwashington

Footballguy
With rain today and 80% chance of rain tomorrow, are there any concerns with the turf conditions at Soldier Field?

Just a random thought I had...

...if the Bears selected Nate Solder instead of the Patriots, the marketing dept. would have loved it.

Solder Field!

OK, back to meaningful discussion...

They actually just re-sodded this week, but I'm sure it'll still be rough to play on.
Actually, if they just re-sodded and there is going to be lots of rain, my guess is that conditions will actually end up being WORSE since the sod still won't have taken complete root and will get washed away.

Who resods a field this soon in a season?

Good lord...have people lost jobs over that field if its still that bad that they had to resod right before the season?

Why is there so much concern about the field conditions? It's how football was meant to be played.. not on artifical turf. It's a heck of a lot safer too.

More slippage means more open receivers - less pass rush. Under slippery conditions, its difficult to push off and its a big advantage for receivers.

Why is there so much concern about the field conditions? It's how football was meant to be played.. not on artifical turf. It's a heck of a lot safer too.
The alternative is a competently managed grass field not artificial turf.The Bears had to cancel their scrimmage for goodness' sake. The condition of Soldier Field has been inexcusable for years. It doesn't make sense because the Chicago Park Dept is pretty great IMO, but they are horrible at managing this field.

Last edited by a moderator:
The alternative is a competently managed grass field not artificial turf.The Bears had to cancel their scrimmage for goodness' sake. The condition of Soldier Field has been inexcusable for years. It doesn't make sense because the Chicago Park Dept is pretty great IMO, but they are horrible at managing this field.
generally gets re-sodded before each home game at Soldier.

Yeah teams built on speed are going to complain, but there's nothing wrong with the field. The NFL has played games on fields like this since the beginning of time.

Pooling of water and gaps between the strips of sod is NOT safer than field turf. Based on what it looked like around Noon today, I think it's going to be ugly.

Pooling of water and gaps between the strips of sod is NOT safer than field turf. Based on what it looked like around Noon today, I think it's going to be ugly.
I played on both.. I'd much rather slip and fall than get my cleats caught in turf.

Users who are viewing this thread