What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snow blower/thrower shopping - What ya got? (1 Viewer)

:thumbup:

I posted earlier in this thread about my hack-job snow blower - I made a DIY impeller kit with some baler belt from Tractor Supply and some screws.  Probably cost me $20 and an hour of my time, and it without a doubt made my blower go from good to awesome.  I don't have a video, but I have a photo my wife took of me clearing the driveway after the NJ blizzard this year.  Blower has to be shooting snow 15-20 feet. 
I'm impressed by the video, and will be adding this to my rig cuz I hate getting clogged.  But if such a simple mod is so effective why aren't the mfg. doing it?

If you have a blower and a little DIY blood in you, put an impeller kit on it.  Just google "Snow blower impeller kit," for details.  I put one on my Frankenstein blower and it made a world of difference, especially in wet snow and slush.
I'm an engineer, i have lots of DIY in me, i'll look into it

squidrope said:
I'm impressed by the video, and will be adding this to my rig cuz I hate getting clogged.  But if such a simple mod is so effective why aren't the mfg. doing it?
To be honest, I have no idea.  From what I read on Snowblower forums (  :shock: yes...they exist, and I've spent some time there) it's all about tolerances.  The only manufacturer who makes their impellers with tolerances close enough to the housing to handle slush is Honda.  Most other brands have 1/4" gap between the housing and the impeller.  What happens with slush and heavy snow is that it builds up along the outside of the housing and the spinning snow sticks to it and clumps. 

Basically, when you first put on the impeller kit and engage the impeller, it will sound horrible because you basically want the baler belt/rubber to scrape around the inside of the housing like a squeegee.  All this resistance can slow the impeller down until it wears down, but it's still better than it was without it.  After it runs for a little while, the rubber will wear down to a perfect fit around the inside of the housing.  That's when the magic really happens and the thing starts hurling snow.

Wish I still had a snowblower (moved from Chicago to Dallas last year) just to try this mod.

I forwarded the videos to my cousin (who I sold the snow blower to when I moved).  This should be in the awesome things thread imo.

Got ahold of the consumer reports.  FBG's dead-on again.

1. Cub Cadet 30"

2. Troy Built 28" Vortex

3 Cub Cadet 30"

4. Ariens 921032 (30")

5. Craftsman 30"

6. Cub Cadet 26"

7. Ariens AX254  (The others above and mostly all of them have about 100 cc more)
i saw

ariens 24" model 920021

Ariens 28" model 921046.

Are these about the same as the one listed above?  Just in a smaller size?  Any reason not to get the 28"?  There was also a 30 but im thinking that might be overkill.

Still stuck between the Airens 254cc 24" 921045 model or the Airens 306cc 28" 921048 model

24" would save $250 bucks. My driveway isn't wide it's a one car. Then some sidewalk and a concrete patio in the back. However I do live in Buffalo. Seems like 28" will be hard to maneuver (yes that's what she said) thoughts? They do both have an auto turn feature. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the difference between 254cc and 306cc make a difference? Where I would want to go 28"?
I don't know the details of the engine on your Ariens models, but I had a 22", then went to a 28".  (Not Ariens - MTD to Craftsman with a Harbor Freight motor).  I didn't really care about the width difference, but the power in the engine was noticeably better in the 28"...Check the output ratings on both and see...

Where would you recommend buying from them?  So your saying for the same model snowblower they use different parts?
I'd look around for a local "small engine" place.  The sort that sells lawnmowers, snowblowers, tractors, chainsaws, etc.  Better items/better service, especially once they get to know you and know you buy FROM them.

I have had no issues with my Craftsman at all.   Been running well for 5+ years now.   It chews up ice pretty well too.   two reverse speeds and more forward speeds than I'll ever need.     Just do the maintenance on it as suggested, and don't let gas sit in it over the offseason.   

Bonus on this is Sears is sucking wind so bad you can always get deals from them. 

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-24-in-208cc-dual-stage-snow-thrower/p-07188173000P#Imagezoom

So i pulled the trigger on the ariens 921030.  When they called me to deliver it, they said that ethanol in the gas causes damage to the snowblower and that issues due to ethanol damage would not be covered by warranty.  As a result i should buy their gas stabilizer.   Is this legit or are they trying to upsell me something i dont need. 

So i pulled the trigger on the ariens 921030.  When they called me to deliver it, they said that ethanol in the gas causes damage to the snowblower and that issues due to ethanol damage would not be covered by warranty.  As a result i should buy their gas stabilizer.   Is this legit or are they trying to upsell me something i dont need. 
It's legit and an issue with most smaller engines.  They don't run hot enough to "burn" off the ethanol correctly or something like that.  Essentially it leaves a stickier residue.  I guess cars have more heat/combustion that burns it up.

I run Stabil Marine in all my small-engine gas.  Just buy a big jug of it and add it to each can of gas you get.  It stabilizes the fuel (longer shelf life), keeps Ethanol issues down, and has something to neutralize any water you can get in your gas (in cans, can happen via condensation if cans sit for a while). 

So just got this thing delivered.  This is a beast!  Cant wait to give it a go. 

Let me ask you this.  Can i use this for small snow falls?  Like if there is 4 inches? 

So just got this thing delivered.  This is a beast!  Cant wait to give it a go. 

Let me ask you this.  Can i use this for small snow falls?  Like if there is 4 inches? 
Yes, you can use it on half an inch of snow if you want.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008FV5R2C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479646565&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=snowblowers+on+sale&dpPl=1&dpID=51B2y8TzmCL&ref=plSrch

How bad do you think this is?

There is another cordless version for 288 I see.

As I get older I'm just getting more annoyed with the maintenance of blowers/mowers and the like...electric seems up my alley. I have a driveway that is about 12x20 and then a walkway from garage to back door that is 3x45.

Didn't realize these things cost 600-1200.

I used a deluxe 30 Ariens walk behind for two years and just became a work out of turning it and lugging it around.  Later I found out the tire pressures need to be very close to equal or you fight it the whole time because it pulls to one side or the other.  Maybe that was the majority of the issues.  

But I picked up a John Deere x324 this summer and ordered the snow blower last week.  44" snowblower, chains, suitcase weights, and grill cover.  Arrives this week, yes I'm completely lazy when it comes to blowing snow lately.  

Thoughts on  Toro Power clear 721 E 21in. Single- Stage Snow Blower-38742-The Home Depot?

What should i know about operation and maintenance/storage? 

Just picked up the Ariens Deluxe 24" from Lowes last week.  I'm stoked for the first snowfall.

I had a Toro from the 90's that I inherited from my Grandmother that was as heavy as a mountain and a ##### to turn, but it did do the job.  Figured it was time to get something up to date and easy to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008FV5R2C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479646565&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=snowblowers+on+sale&dpPl=1&dpID=51B2y8TzmCL&ref=plSrch

As I get older I'm just getting more annoyed with the maintenance of blowers/mowers and the like...electric seems up my alley. I have a driveway that is about 12x20 and then a walkway from garage to back door that is 3x45.

Hell, for $166, why not? Reviews sound good, and most likely, it'll work just fine and you didn't have to spend $600.

I think I might get one myself. I might seriously consider the cordless though. I could see the cord becoming a real pain in the ###, and of course, being able to move snow when the power's out would be nice (though not a huge factor).

I went even cheaper. $88 electric snow shovel. I live in a townhouse, so I didn't want to get something that'd be annoying to carry up and down steps. I'm going to give it a shot clearing off the restaurant parking lot. If it sucks, I've pissed away $90 on worse things. 

I found an Ariens St824. Bought in 2000 and in ok shape for $300?  Good price?  I'm worried about pulling the trigger. 

I have an old MTD Yard Machine 22" but heading out to take a look at a newer used MTD 26" with electric start.  My driveway is 100 yards long so clearing something the length of a football field with just 22" sucks.

I Currently have one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Poulan-Pro-21-Inch-Single-Thrower/dp/B008HYLDL6/ref=dp_ob_title_garden  It has been a great blower as long as we don't get a bunch of snow.  The two stage are better for moving a lot of snow, but they can be very bulky and take up a lot more space.  However, I recently ran across one of these from Toro: https://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=snowmaster-724-zxr-36001(Toro)

I really like my personal pace mower and I could see one of these in my possession in the near future if I can convince the wife I need one.

Thoughts on  Toro Power clear 721 E 21in. Single- Stage Snow Blower-38742-The Home Depot?

What should i know about operation and maintenance/storage? 
I have the exact same one and live in Michigan..it works great.  Had it for 3 years and very happy with it.

Might break out the ariens today on my whole 3 inches of snow.  I was told by the guy to let it idle when done so that the gas runs out.  Do i need to do this every time i use it or just at the end of the season? 

I have an old MTD Yard Machine 22" but heading out to take a look at a newer used MTD 26" with electric start.  My driveway is 100 yards long so clearing something the length of a football field with just 22" sucks.
Bought the 26" I went to look at and f'ng thing crapped out on me this morning on its maiden run.  I hate ####### snow

Has anyone put on one of the impeller kits

I have a craftsman that is struggling to push any snow at the end of the driveway (plow drop.) Thing chokes out any time I get close. By all accounts, these impeller kits can make a huge difference. Just wondering if anyone has had luck with them.

Users who are viewing this thread