What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Smart Pens (or Similar Things) (1 Viewer)

Psychopav

Help us, Joebi-Wan Brynobi, you're our only ho
I think I want a smart pen.  Something like this Rocketbook Wave Smart Notebook (it erases in the microwave!), or like this Equil Smartpen 2 (use on any paper!), or like this Live Scribe Echo Smartpen (complete with audio recording!).  Does anyone have any experience with these things?

I am no artist, but I see where these things might be really exciting for that application.  I don't need it for artistic use however (other than random doodles or diagrams).

I'm no stenographer, but I see where audio recording might be handy for some people (just not at all critical for my needs).

What I want this for is to take notes on various work related items that arise throughout the day - sometimes formally, like during office meetings, but more often informally, like during one-on-one discussions in various locations around the office.  A lot of the time, the notes I take now end up scribbled on post-its or small note pads, and they end up being either discarded or re-written somewhere more formal.  Sometimes, I do have formal meetings in a larger setting where I take lengthier notes.  I have in these situations taken my laptop and that works well, but is not really viable for external meetings, and again the handwritten notes end up having to be either entered electronically (rarely happens) or saved on paper until needed later (or forgotten then pitched in semi-annual fits of tidiness).

I don't think I take as many hand-written notes as I would if I knew I would be able to capture them and search them later.  I would like to take more notes because I think it will improve my retention on the things I work on, but not if it means flipping through pages of hand-written notes.  Ideally I'd like to be capture these notes separately throughout the day (whether of short or long variety), and later be able to add those notes to an ongoing document of all my notes on that given subject.  The written words would have to be searchable and copy/paste-able so solid and relatively seamless OCR of some sort is a must.

I don't think I want to be tied to a proprietary writing surface, like a special pad of paper or a specific phone or tablet, because that would limit the ease of use and versatility of being able to just grab a pen and pad of paper (or post it or folio or whatever) and go, but I'm not 100% opposed to it either, if the functionality is clearly head and shoulders above the alternative

Does anyone have any experience with these things?  Pros or cons of various methods?  Any suggestions or observations that you can share based on your experience?

Still have my Livescribe that I used in college.  I liked it, but it became too much of a hassle as I was concentrating on the pen instead of the lecture content.  I felt I got more out of pen/comp books and a recorder if it was a class that warranted it.

Still have my Livescribe that I used in college.  I liked it, but it became too much of a hassle as I was concentrating on the pen instead of the lecture content.  I felt I got more out of pen/comp books and a recorder if it was a class that warranted it.
Was it the original livescribe or one of the newer models?  Did it convert your handwritten notes into digital format well enough to say copy/paste into word or Outlook and be able to edit?

Was it the original livescribe or one of the newer models?  Did it convert your handwritten notes into digital format well enough to say copy/paste into word or Outlook and be able to edit?
It was a 2011 or so model.  Echo2?  I'm not sure exactly which.  I think I only put them into their own proprietary viewer/editor, definitely not MS Office.

I just looked at a video for the Wacom Bamboo Slate Smartpad, which looks like it would do what I'm looking for but requires using their device.  Also it looks like it uses their cloud service, which would be a problem if that's required - I wouldn't be at liberty to upload any work notes to an external cloud server.

OH!  You thought it said PEN1S!  Ah.

I wonder what Freud would say about that...

OH!  You thought it said PEN1S!  Ah.

I wonder what Freud would say about that...
Well that would be a first.  There has never been a smart PENlS before.  But then again, what fun would that be. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread