What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Slow Burn - Podcast On Bill Clinton Impeachment (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Sorry if honda but throwing this out here.

Slow Burn is a podcast by Slate that tells the story of Bill Clinton's impeachment. It's Slate so it's clearly not unbiased but I've listened to a couple of episodes so far and it's excellent. Super high production value.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/slow_burn.html

It also brought back a lot of memories from this time. It's been 20 years ago but in some ways feels not that long ago and in others, seems more distant.  I think of Bill Clinton now as this sort of masterfully skilled former president and had forgotten how he was seen as an outsider rube at the time. How he was dogged by controversy and turmoil early with all the women accusations. And then of course the shocking and tragic stuff around Vince Foster. I can't imagine how that might be seen today if something similar happened. The podcast does a good job of diving into some of this early. Especially Foster.

Again, I'm just a couple of episodes in but it's high quality so far. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Slow Burn is a podcast by Slate that tells the story of Bill Clinton's impeachment. It's Slate so it's clearly not unbiased but I've listened to a couple of episodes so far and it's excellent. Super high production value.

It also brought back a lot of memories from this time. It's been 20 years ago but in some ways feels not that long ago and in others, seems more distant.  I think of Bill Clinton now as this sort of masterfully skilled former president and had forgotten how he was seen as an outsider rube at the time. How he was dogged by controversy and turmoil early with all the women accusations. And then of course the shocking and tragic stuff around Vince Foster. I can't imagine how that might be seen today if something similar happened. The podcast does a good job of diving into some of this early. Especially Foster.

This is why I scoff I people who insist the media has always had a liberal bias.  Uh, no....not when it came to Clinton.

One thing that really stood out to me from this was how terribly Monica Lewinsky was treated. She was a 22 or 23 year old woman taken advantage of by the most powerful man in the world, and then run over by the FBI and Special Counsel - and somehow she became the laughingstock. Just a disgrace.

Also, @Joe Bryant - did you listen to the first season of Slow Burn about Nixon? That was also very, very good.

This is why I scoff I people who insist the media has always had a liberal bias.  Uh, no....not when it came to Clinton.
Yes. It's pretty interesting. The episode I listened to yesterday talked about TravelGate where they fired 7 people connected to the travel agents for the press and it seemed like there was a pretty contentious relationship with the press. At least early. 

The first episode was fascinating as it's about when they interviewed Monica Lewinsky. Her refusal to work with them immediately maybe saved the Clinton Presidency they said. Interesting stuff. 

The Nixon and Clinton Slow Burns were both excellent. They have one on Ruby Ridge I haven't started yet but will soon. I think I may have to subscribe to Slate Plus so they can 'em coming.

Yes. It's pretty interesting. The episode I listened to yesterday talked about TravelGate where they fired 7 people connected to the travel agents for the press and it seemed like there was a pretty contentious relationship with the press. At least early. 

The first episode was fascinating as it's about when they interviewed Monica Lewinsky. Her refusal to work with them immediately maybe saved the Clinton Presidency they said. Interesting stuff. 
Is this available for free somewhere or does it require $$?  

Love these podcast shows.  The one SI did for Steve McNair was excellent (not to go off topic).

I highly enjoyed this season of Slow Burn. Did you listen to Season 1 of Watergate?  That one was just as good, if not better. Also, Rachel Maddow has one called BagMan on the Agnew scandal which was amazing!

Another 👍 for Slow Burn, both the Nixon and Clinton seasons were fantastic.  The Ruby Ridge episode was excellent as well.

Check out hte podcast Cover Up - Chappaquiddick.   Its breathtaking the details they go into.  So many things went down that I had no idea.  Kennedy is a true scumbag and this mystery will never be solved.  How does he get out of the car with no injuries whatsoever?   No scratches, nothing but the car is basically totalled.  So many unanswered questions.  The cop saw his car at 1215 but Kennedy says it was at 1130.  

Check out hte podcast Cover Up - Chappaquiddick.   Its breathtaking the details they go into.  So many things went down that I had no idea.  Kennedy is a true scumbag and this mystery will never be solved.  How does he get out of the car with no injuries whatsoever?   No scratches, nothing but the car is basically totalled.  So many unanswered questions.  The cop saw his car at 1215 but Kennedy says it was at 1130.  
Ted Kennedy would have been ripped apart today with the media circus. The social media of today would have ruined his career and rightly so. Also he may have served time as you know dam well he was drunk.

One thing that really stood out to me from this was how terribly Monica Lewinsky was treated. She was a 22 or 23 year old woman taken advantage of by the most powerful man in the world, and then run over by the FBI and Special Counsel - and somehow she became the laughingstock. Just a disgrace.

Also, @Joe Bryant - did you listen to the first season of Slow Burn about Nixon? That was also very, very good.
She was also run over by the Clintons. I find ML really compelling and sympathetic these days. Sad story and she’s emerged a tough smart woman.

General Malaise said:
He didn't exactly make himself look like a good guy at Baylor. 
This is about the Clinton impeachment, not Baylor.  In this particular episode, Ken Starr was on the correct side of a sexual misconduct issue.

This is about the Clinton impeachment, not Baylor.  In this particular episode, Ken Starr was on the correct side of a sexual misconduct issue.
Get out of here with that.  Again listen to the podcast and I bet you will not have the same thought process.  Starr was on an ultimate fishing expedition with unlimited funds and legally harassed, threatened, intimated and bullied Monica.  Its a damn shame and I am glad for any negative attention that went starrs way now or at Baylor.  Dude is a total scumbag. 

****The above statement is in no way taking away attention that Clinton is a bad dude either

If you think this is bad you should really look at his policies.  He passed laws that Republicans dream of.  He cut social programs, deregulated banks, and imprisoned more people low level drug charges.  That's just a start.

Yep, my dumb ### voted for him 2 times.

Users who are viewing this thread