What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shaun Draughn RB SF... What are your takes? (1 Viewer)

Watched most of the game and like Steed said above, he looked surprisingly fast and elusive when called upon. Pretty high floor in PPR as he will prob still see most of the work and dumpoffs unless Cadet or Gaskins get more work.
Yeah I think you can put 10-12 points in PPR in the books for him as long as he's the starter. The upside is capped by a likely lack of high yardage and TD potential. He did look better yesterday than the last two games but I still think he's an ordinary talent so I wouldn't expect him to pop off a 100-yard game very easily. And although he's getting all the snaps and would get any attempts near the goal line the 49ers' lack of offensive prowess will likely cut into any TD potential as well.

But given all the RB issues league wide, a guy with a 10-12 point or so floor is pretty darn valuable right now. The big question is whether Hyde will return at all this season. If not, the schedule doesn't appear overly daunting given how Gabbert seems to have injected some life into the team the past few games.

He has looked good over the past 3 games against good defenses. I'm starting him this week against the Bears assuming the weather is decent. I'm hoping for 5/50, 60 yds rushing and a possible TD.

Picked him up prior to last week's game as insurance, and now I'm debating between him (@ Chicago), DeMarco Murray (@ New England), Stevie Johnson (v. Denver) and John Brown (@ St. Louis) at my last flex spot. In my full point PPR league, Draughn has averaged 14.3 ppg over the last three weeks, which includes games against Seattle and Arizona. Tough choice.

I'm starting him over Woodhead and either Jordan Reed or Scott Chandler at flex. If Hyde sits again he is a lock for 20+ touches.

I'm assuming I have a 0% chance to pick up David Johnson for Draughn tonight on Waivers so I'll be going with him again this week. He's projected to be my highest-scoring RB over Gurley and Gio which makes me really happy for him but really really sad for me.

Something tells me he's jumped the shark if he's being projected ahead of gio and gurley. I like him as a ppr generator but that's a bit much

Something tells me he's jumped the shark if he's being projected ahead of gio and gurley. I like him as a ppr generator but that's a bit much
Last 3 games:

Gurley - 11.5ppg

Gio - 14.7ppg

Draughn - 14.3ppg

And that was Draughn going against Seattle and Arizona in 2 of those 3

It's the CBS Sports projections. They've been laughably bad all season. My lineup consistently scores 30-40 points more than they project. I think the projections are too low for Gio this week (who I love vs. the Browns) and they are basically projecting Gurley to soil the bed again. I'm guessing most projections will be real down on Gurley this week.

I grabbed him last week for depth, but Ill tell ya, if a starting RB is getting 20+ touches, it equals to good fantasy points in a ppr no matter how you slice it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grabbed him last week for depth, but Ill tell ya, if a starting RB is getting 20+ touches, it equals to good fantasy points in a ppr no matter how you slice it.
He's rock solid with a high floor, no doubt about it. Unfortunately his ceiling isn't much higher than his floor for the reasons I listed earlier. I don't think he's a great talent so he'll likely need an outstanding matchup to really cash in with rushing yards and given the state of the offense he may need a PI call in the end zone to get a shot to score. What he can provide is 7-10 points in PPR on receiving production alone. That definitely has value but if he just possessed a bit more talent all that volume might really translate into standout production. I'm just not sure that will happen although the volume certainly gives him a shot and the matchup this week is a pretty good one.

He's JAG, but he has been serviceable in the last couple of weeks. If Hyde's out the rest of the year, I don't see how a guy getting a lot of volume is not serviceable the rest of the way for a lot of teams, especially given the carnage this year at RB.

He's JAG, but he has been serviceable in the last couple of weeks. If Hyde's out the rest of the year, I don't see how a guy getting a lot of volume is not serviceable the rest of the way for a lot of teams, especially given the carnage this year at RB.
After losing Lewis and Forsett and not having enough money left in FAAB to get guys like Rawls, Buck and David Johnson, Draughn may be my RB savior. Crazier things have definitely happened in this game, that's for sure.

Forsett and Lewis were just JAGS at one point too. It's all about opportunity/touches. And Shaun is getting that. I'd say most every back in the NFL has the talent to be a great player, just really depends on situation. We are talking about the cream of the crop in athleticism for NFL players. Not saying Shaun is the next Le'veon or anything like that, But if he is still available in your league go snatch him up, he could be a MAJOR asset weeks 13-16

Picked him up 2 weeks ago and he is doing a good PPR job for me.

Draughns and Ajayi my startin RBs after all the injuries.

Forsett and Lewis were just JAGS at one point too. It's all about opportunity/touches. And Shaun is getting that. I'd say most every back in the NFL has the talent to be a great player, just really depends on situation. We are talking about the cream of the crop in athleticism for NFL players. Not saying Shaun is the next Le'veon or anything like that, But if he is still available in your league go snatch him up, he could be a MAJOR asset weeks 13-16
Reminds me of Reuben Droughns and not just because of the similar last names. Droughns was a serviceable backup who wasn't overly talented but in 2004 and 2005 he got serious volume with the Broncos and Browns and became a fantasy asset. Nothing special about his game, it was all about the volume. I'd be thrilled to get a repeat of that from Draughn to close out this season.

With the uncertainty of how Ware will be used going forward, I think I'm turning to Draughn this week.

Considering starting him ahead of Ingram, considering the Carolina defense and Payton's seeming determination to use him as little as possible lately.

Considering starting him ahead of Ingram, considering the Carolina defense and Payton's seeming determination to use him as little as possible lately.
Actually have both of them in my lineup this week. Have them in over Miller, Lacy, and Moncrief.

Actually have both of them in my lineup this week. Have them in over Miller, Lacy, and Moncrief.
I need to pick 1 of Gio, Draughn, Ingram, and DMurray to start alongside Rawls. Can't flex a 3rd RB :kicksrock:
Luckily, in my league, we only need to start 1 WR and 1 RB and then have 3 flex spots. Of those guys, I think I'd do Rawls and Ingram.

I need to pick 1 of Gio, Draughn, Ingram, and DMurray to start alongside Rawls. Can't flex a 3rd RB :kicksrock:
Luckily, in my league, we only need to start 1 WR and 1 RB and then have 3 flex spots. Of those guys, I think I'd do Rawls and Ingram.
We used to allow 3 RBs but in a 16-team league, too many people #####ed that there weren't enough RBs to go around and that teams with 3 good RBs had an unfair advantage :cry:

So now it's 1-2 RB, 2-4 WR, and 0-2 TE, totaling 6 across all 3 positions.

Barring injury it would appear Draughn is locked into the starting job the rest of the season now.

The 49ers could opt to place Carlos Hyde (foot) on season-ending injured reserve to make room on the roster for C Daniel Kilgore and WR DeAndre Smelter.

The deadline for both players to be activated is Monday. Hyde still isn't practicing and hasn't made much progress in his recovery from a stress fracture. Shaun Draughn has played relatively well in his absence with 259 yards from scrimmage over his last three games. With the Niners all but eliminated from the postseason, there's no reason for Hyde to rush back this year.

Source: Sacramento Bee
Dec 3 - 2:39 PM

Don't know what the snap counts were but it sure seemed like Cadet was on the field a lot today, especially after halftime. I don't know if Draughn had more than 3-4 touches in the second half and overtime. Bottom line number was good but he was headed for a huge day in PPR and then got taken out of the game plan. That's cause for at least some concern.

I was watching the game. The 49ers did nothing in the second half except for a couple plays. I think they had like 5 yards in the third quarter and nothing in 4th until the last drive. I wouldn't read into it too much. It's how the game played out. Draughn is the guy

Yeldon or David Johnson is sitting the bench next week in the playoffs with this guy playing Cleveland. No way can I sit him next week.....

The Cleveland matchup seems pretty good for Draughn. I just can't seem to pull the trigger and get him in my lineup. Without turning into a wdis thread, curious if the matchup with Clevland would make him more attractive than JStew or Latavius - two, pretty solid rb2s?

The Cleveland matchup seems pretty good for Draughn. I just can't seem to pull the trigger and get him in my lineup. Without turning into a wdis thread, curious if the matchup with Clevland would make him more attractive than JStew or Latavius - two, pretty solid rb2s?
I'd start him over Murray in all formats right now without hesitation. Not over JStew.

Thanks packersfan. JStew has been steady and seeing plenty of carries. Initially, I was concerned Rivera would try to get him some rest, but think that is probably a week or two away, if at all.

Thanks packersfan. JStew has been steady and seeing plenty of carries. Initially, I was concerned Rivera would try to get him some rest, but think that is probably a week or two away, if at all.
ATL is pretty good against the pass and struggles to stop the run. I see JStew as a top 5 RB play this week.

To those worried about Cadet in the passing game since Draughn's value in primarily PPR driven.

Name - Snap % - Targets

Draughn - 79% - 6

Cadet - 20% - 3

If you'd like a timeline of snap percentage..

Week 9 - 67% (this is before Gaskins went down, Thomas was released)

Week 11 - 91% (Cadet saw 6% this week)

Week 12 - 100%

As a Murray owner this guy has been a lifesaver.

More importantly though, are we referring to this guy as "Shizzle Drizzle" yet, and if not, why not?

How do you guys feel about him this week against the Bengals? He was a dud last week in what seemed to be a good matchup on paper. Bengals have been hurt against RBs that can catch passes out of the backfield.

How do you guys feel about him this week against the Bengals? He was a dud last week in what seemed to be a good matchup on paper. Bengals have been hurt against RBs that can catch passes out of the backfield.
Hard to trust him after last week. Id play him if I had no other option. I think he will do about as well as last week.

The 49ers-Browns game was the one game I didn't see any part of so I have no idea how he only caught two passes in a game they were trailing big. Given what he'd done before that would've seemed like a lock for him to catch 5+. This week looks the same - Bengals play from the front and 49ers have to throw more. Assuming last week was an outlier Draughn should be good for 10-12 points as a floor in PPR. But if last week was a sign of things to come Draughn will carry significantly more risk and a much lower floor.

I have no choice but to play him as my RB2 with Rawls going down and Woodhead not doing squat in the past 6 games. The game is in SF so I would side on playing him and having a decent game in PPR

Draughn's snap count has decreased the last two games. 73% in Week 14 is still a healthy percentage but he's no longer just owning all the touches like he was a few weeks ago.

packersfan said:
The 49ers-Browns game was the one game I didn't see any part of so I have no idea how he only caught two passes in a game they were trailing big. Given what he'd done before that would've seemed like a lock for him to catch 5+. This week looks the same - Bengals play from the front and 49ers have to throw more. Assuming last week was an outlier Draughn should be good for 10-12 points as a floor in PPR. But if last week was a sign of things to come Draughn will carry significantly more risk and a much lower floor.
Gabbert took a step backwards last week in my opinion. He had been pretty effiicient until last week when the offense looked out of sync.

packersfan said:
Gabbert took a step backwards last week in my opinion. He had been pretty effiicient until last week when the offense looked out of sync.
He is Blaine Gabbert so that was to be expected. But even a worthless QB should be able to complete 4-5 short passes and dumpoffs to a RB. Should be a similar script this week vs. Cincinnati so hopefully Draughn gets back involved in the passing game.

Did anybody watch this game yesterday? I watched the start and Draughn looked okay, then he didn't get a touch in the second half. What happened?

Did anybody watch this game yesterday? I watched the start and Draughn looked okay, then he didn't get a touch in the second half. What happened?
Knee injury. Don't know the severity but I'm going to drop him even if he can play this week. The ride really came to an end two weeks ago in the Chicago game when Cadet saw a lot of work in the second half and OT. Then last week Draughn was an afterthought in the passing game which is where he was making his fantasy living. Then the injury yesterday. If you had him you probably got a lot more out of him than you should've expected given his general lack of talent. But he's hitting the WW for me this week.

Users who are viewing this thread