What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sentenced to 1 year solitary confinement, but you can bring the complete works of one actor or director to entertain you (1 Viewer)

Bogart

Footballguy
Stolen from Reddit (who I think stole from The Ringer): You are sentence to 1 year solitary confinement, but you are allowed to take the complete works of one actor or director to entertain you. Who do you choose?

Complete works include any movies, TV shows, voice acting or directing.

Looks like I'm choosing Bess Flowers, who has 1,045 acting credits to her name. That's nearly three movies per day which might keep me from going insane in solitary which would be the whole point. And when I got out I could create an epic "Top 1,000 Best Bess Flowers Movies of All Time" thread.

Christopher Nolan. With the lengths of his films I'd be out before I could finish them all.

Samuel L Jackson, what a portfolio.
Honestly, this was my first thought. You get QT, you get Scorsese, you get Spike Lee. You get tons of Marvel and Star Wars. You get Kingsman and Snakes On A Plane.

Also can make a case for Danny Trejo. One of my top five movies in Blood In Blood Out (3 hours long and about prison also seems appropriate) and about another 250 movies and TV shows.

Yeah, Sam is the obvious choice for me. In my favorite comedy (coming to America) plus many of my favorite action movies. Plus tons of other good dramas and other random stuff. No brainer.

Samuel L Jackson, what a portfolio.
Honestly, this was my first thought. You get QT, you get Scorsese, you get Spike Lee. You get tons of Marvel and Star Wars. You get Kingsman and Snakes On A Plane.

Also can make a case for Danny Trejo. One of my top five movies in Blood In Blood Out (3 hours long and about prison also seems appropriate) and about another 250 movies and TV shows.
I am a Trejo fan, he's been in a lot of good projects too.

If director/producer do I get what they also produced?

If so, then JJ Abrams. Nothing he's done is my favorite thing but as a catalog he's been involved in a lot of great stuff. Besides, I've never watched Alias.

If not, then Spielberg.

I would pick an author, but given the parameters...

Sean Bean dies in a lot of good movies and tv series.

Actors: Would probably go volume: Robert Duvall has been in so many good things

Director: Would lean Christopher Nolan

Honestly it wouldn't really matter after a year I would be done with these movies :lol:

A few thoughts:

Bryan Cranston - Malcolm In the Middle is great. I’ve never wanted to invest the time in Breaking Bad, but this would be a good time to do that.

Pedro Pascal - Game of Thrones, Mandalorian, Last of Us (though if you can only watch episodes they’re in, that cuts a lot of GoT)

James Earl Jones - in a ton of great movies.

Will Ferrell - a bit outside the current box maybe, but you get a ton of SNL and all his movies which are pretty extensive.

Tina Fey - Same as Ferrell. But also add in 30 Rock.

Volume and variety are the keys imo.

Took me a minute but I realized it would be better to go with someone who has had some great supporting roles, plus a few awesome staring turns as well. Not nearly enough variety to go with a leading man character actor (like Hanks) or a director (even Spielberg, although he's pretty diverse). I'll go with Steve Buscemi. With 175 screen credits on IMDB, I guarantee I wouldn't get bored.

Spielberg would be a good choice for director IMO. Better than any others I think.

James Earl Jones is another great choice - even more credits than Buscemi. Tons of work to get through. I'll stick with my choice on the strength of his acting, but Jones is a very strong contender imo.

Bryan Cranston - Malcolm In the Middle is great. I’ve never wanted to invest the time in Breaking Bad, but this would be a good time to do that.

Pedro Pascal - Game of Thrones, Mandalorian, Last of Us (though if you can only watch episodes they’re in, that cuts a lot of GoT)

I did think about the "if they were in one episode do you get the whole series" loophole. If that was the case, I go Bob Odenkirk. Not sure you could watch all of the TV in only a year. Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Simpsons, The League, Mr.Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfield, Arrested Development, Weeds, the list goes on and on...

For quantity and quality, James Stewart is a pretty fine choice. Some of the best movies ever made across just about every genre: Read Window, Vertigo, The Philadelphia Story, Winchester 73, It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, etc. He made 154 movies so there's always going to be something new.

Can we name adult film stars?

Might have to consider Mark Margolis, who played Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad, so you get that series, Better Call Saul, The Equalizer, plus the adult film classic "The Opening of Misty Beethoven" for when you need a change of pace.

Looks like I'm choosing Bess Flowers, who has 1,045 acting credits to her name. That's nearly three movies per day which might keep me from going insane in solitary which would be the whole point. And when I got out I could create an epic "Top 1,000 Best Bess Flowers Movies of All Time" thread.

Another good volume pick would be Jane Bartholomew, who appeared in countless movies due to being the "torch lady" in the Columbia Pictures logo for 40 years.

A more recent name would be Barbara Harris. Probably the hardest working woman in showbiz, she's a "loop group" artist. Her and her troupe of actors provide voice acting for crowd scenes in TV and movies. When they shoot a scene, only the main characters talk, all the background extras mime their performances. Once editing is complete months later, they have 5-12 voice actors come in and do all the background dialogue, murmuring in a crowd scene, any TV/radio bits one might hear, PA announcers, or generally anything one might hear spoken in the background. Basically all the spoken parts that aren't the main actors talking.

Easily 2000 credits, whenever she's listed as Loop Group Casting that would count because she always casts herself as one of the voices. Her work includes 40+ films nominated for Best Picture. You'd get her work on Boogie Nights, Pulp Fiction, the Shawshank Redemption, all the Star Trek films from #3 onward, the Jurassic Park movies, most of Clint Eastwood's director credits since 2000, and entire shows like Stranger Things and Veep.

Last edited:
Can we name adult film stars?

Might have to consider Mark Margolis, who played Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad, so you get that series, Better Call Saul, The Equalizer, plus the adult film classic "The Opening of Misty Beethoven" for when you need a change of pace.
Gonna need a judgment on that. Is there some threshold of appearances for the whole series to be included or do they just need a single appearance?

Users who are viewing this thread