What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Selling items online (1 Viewer)

Drunken knight

Footballguy
Best ways to avoid the scammers/frauds?

... using FB marketplace for a few older items

Edit: trying to sell locally (armoire, tires, old high end stroller)

eBay and Mercari are good options, depending on what you are selling (something that is shippable). You can check out sold items to see what your items have sold for. Fees are a bit steep, but I like it better than dealing with FB bros. And if you sign up with a postage carrier like stamps.com or pirateship, you can save $ on your shipping

eBay and Mercari are good options, depending on what you are selling (something that is shippable). You can check out sold items to see what your items have sold for. Fees are a bit steep, but I like it better than dealing with FB bros. And if you sign up with a postage carrier like stamps.com or pirateship, you can save $ on your shipping
i use nextdoor. items between $25-$100. pick up in my driveway, leave money in mailbox or don’t. just don’t touch me or look at me. like i work at a strip club.

I've had really good luck selling on FB marketplace (2 cars, lots of furniture, lawn equipment, etc). Scammers are easy to spot and fun to mess with. It's like a little entertainment with my sale.
2 items around $500, and the other around $250

Edit: may throw my car on there as well

fbg- let me know if interested: 05 cabrio M3 145k on it. still doing great

eBay and Mercari are good options,

Really? That site always struck me as scammy. They routinely advertise items Im looking for at unrealistic prices.
TBH I haven't bought anything on there, but have sold quite a few things, and it's been pretty smooth. Not nearly as much BS as eBay with non-paying bidders, etc., although fees are comparable to eBay, so I usually list items on both sites just for more exposure.

I've had success utilizing eBay and Craig's List. eBay rapes you on fees but the process is pretty straightforward. Craig's List you always want to meet in a neutral public spot.

I have sold on ebay before and think it is generally the best of the options though it continues to get more and more buyer friendly which sucks. I definately agree with the idea of using settings to limit no or little feedback from bidding or buying on items.

Going to start selling here on Ebay starting 9/1. i am excited but really worried about screwing up shipping. I plan to start with my lower value sports cards. I having been watching a ton of TikTok videos to get tips and tricks. One of the biggest things that seem to be challenging are the people constantly wanting refunds and so forth. I am also looking at the Amazon arbitrage program that some seem to have a good deal of success with, but it looks time consuming and you need some liquidity to keep it up.

We’ve been over this. I’d rather light my crap on fire than deal with the lovely online shoppers.

Ha! This is how I feel. My daughter has a giant, pink Barbie Camper and wanted to list it for free. Two different people came to look at it and told me it was more used than they had hoped. IT IS FREE! What do you want from me?

Also, when did Goodwill get so choosey? I tried to take in a perfectly fine shop vac. Nope. Won't take it. I'm just going to leave it by a dumpster.

I put stuff on the curb with a FREE sign and it's magically gone in the morning! if it has value, I've sold some stuff on FB Marketplace. EBay is a pain to me as my description (working condition, normal wear and tear, etc.) gets nitpicked and invariably leads to squabbles with buyers who thought they were getting brand new item. It's just not worth the headache.

We’ve been over this. I’d rather light my crap on fire than deal with the lovely online shoppers.

Ha! This is how I feel. My daughter has a giant, pink Barbie Camper and wanted to list it for free. Two different people came to look at it and told me it was more used than they had hoped. IT IS FREE! What do you want from me?

Also, when did Goodwill get so choosey? I tried to take in a perfectly fine shop vac. Nope. Won't take it. I'm just going to leave it by a dumpster.
When we put anything out for free, it is gone in a second. We put out a good-sized bookshelf and I watched a guy literally drag this thing by himself to his house a couple blocks away. He would pick it up and walk 4-5 feet and then put it down. I asked if he needed help, but he didn't speak English and just waived me off.

Goodwill has become a joke. Resellers line up outside before they open to go in and find things to flip. Goodwill in turn, ups the prices on items, which makes things too expensive for the people they were created to serve in the first place to afford. However, the real kicker is they have people in the back that go through the donated stuff and take out the high dollar items (video games, electronics, antiques and good toys) and send them to their auction division--where they get listed on their website.

When we put anything out for free, it is gone in a second. We put out a good-sized bookshelf and I watched a guy literally drag this thing by himself to his house a couple blocks away. He would pick it up and walk 4-5 feet and then put it down. I asked if he needed help, but he didn't speak English and just waived me off.

Goodwill has become a joke. Resellers line up outside before they open to go in and find things to flip. Goodwill in turn, ups the prices on items, which makes things too expensive for the people they were created to serve in the first place to afford. However, the real kicker is they have people in the back that go through the donated stuff and take out the high dollar items (video games, electronics, antiques and good toys) and send them to their auction division--where they get listed on their website.
Isn't the concept of goodwill to raise money for charity not actually be a charity? That's the salvation army right?

This is exactly what I’ve noticed too. I don’t go nearly as often and I’m not there to flip things so it’s frustrating to see the jacked up pricing.

There was a pretty good one called 2nd ave but it’s been bought, they canned the hot young Latinas and replaced them with not so hot and not at all Latina. They also keep all the good stuff now.

I blame that charlatan, Gerry Vee.

Going to start selling here on Ebay starting 9/1. i am excited but really worried about screwing up shipping. I plan to start with my lower value sports cards. I having been watching a ton of TikTok videos to get tips and tricks. One of the biggest things that seem to be challenging are the people constantly wanting refunds and so forth. I am also looking at the Amazon arbitrage program that some seem to have a good deal of success with, but it looks time consuming and you need some liquidity to keep it up.
GL! I still sell some on eBay, and giving Mercari a go recently for trading cards. eBay has had the "ebay standard envelope" for trading cards < $20 sale price that comes with tracking number and is only like 60 cents. I use that and put the toploader in a thank you note from the dollar store. Have not had a return or refund request yet on any of those. Mercari just recently launched a similar shipping deal for trading cards, so I plan to use it also if make a sale over there.

Users who are viewing this thread