What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saying Farewell to Fantasy Friends (1 Viewer)

Neil Beaufort Zod

Footballguy
If you've been playing for a long time, you know these guys. They've won you titles, and cost you titles. Big trades in your league hinged on them. Sunday highlights belonged to them.

And now, we say goodbye.

Peyton Manning, Arian Foster and Jamaal Charles might all play in the NFL next year, but they won't be drafted as fantasy starters anymore. They'll be nostalgic depth picks, or value selections in case they somehow rally for one final impressive season. Maybe someone new to the game will snatch them up in the rounds where they used to be drafted. And maybe they'll even flash some of that old magic for a game or two.

I guess this happens every year, but it seems like this season we're seeing the end of a significant number of old-guard superstars. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more. It's part of the game, but I'll miss their fantasy contributions, even as they're (possibly) replaced by guys like Gurley and Luck.

Am I wrong about those three? Do you see any of them doing anything next season? Are there any others that belong on the list?

Roddy White and Andre Johnson might fit the bill. And it was sad to see Reggie Wayne go out like he did. Maybe a younger person who is new to the game may not see the significance but forolder guys whose entire fantasy football careers have spanned these players' real careers, it may have more of a nostalgic impact.

And then, every so often, you say your goodbye, have a final drink in honor of the player you won't be drafting again, and then they come back out of nowhere and tear things up like the old days.

Here's to you, Chris Johnson!

This guy isn't a superstar that won FF championships. He was a great Flex WW pickup a few times that helped fill out the lineup. Career stars of 2,000 yards and 20 TDs? That's an LT2/ADP season, man.

But it was the story that made you root for him. D2 superstar, undrafted, practice squads that didn't work out. It was a long shot for a guy that worked as a security guard for tthe eam during college, single dad doing the right things. Got the set-for-life deal and spends his off-field time helping entrepreneurs get started & working with kids. People make a big thing over Stafford living there year round? Joique Bell is Detroit.

Peyton Manning, Arian Foster and Jamaal Charles might all play in the NFL next year, but they won't be drafted as fantasy starters anymore.
pretty sure you're wrong about Charles.

Losing Welker was sad.

Colston, while not a superstar was a darn good WR2.

Lynch?

Peyton Manning, Arian Foster and Jamaal Charles might all play in the NFL next year, but they won't be drafted as fantasy starters anymore.

Losing Welker was sad.

Lynch?
Lynch might get cut for cap savings, but he'll be productive somewhere at age 30.

I guess Steve Smith doesn't qualify since he is actually retiring?

FWIW, Charles will be 29.7 at the start of next season. Forte is almost exactly 1 year older. Peterson will be 31.5.

Gates will be 36. He'll need to get on the juice again if he's going to be productive for another year.

Losing Welker was sad.

Lynch?
Lynch might get cut for cap savings, but he'll be productive somewhere at age 30.

FWIW, Charles will be 29.7 at the start of next season. Forte is almost exactly 1 year older. Peterson will be 31.5.

Gates will be 36. He'll need to get on the juice again if he's going to be productive for another year.
I don't even know if he'll get cut, retirement rumors were all over the place last off season.

Losing Welker was sad.

Lynch?

I don't even know if he'll get cut, retirement rumors were all over the place last off season.
My guess is that he's back with Seattle next year, but getting cut and playing for a new team is the 2nd most likely, with the rumors magically coming true about retirement being the third most likely scenario of the three.

http://www.fantasylabs.com/articles/do-most-running-backs-fully-recover-from-acl-tears/

After his first knee injury, Gayle Sayers came back to lead the league in rushing. Charles himself, ADP, Moreno - lots of recent examples.

The second ACL ended Sayers career. I can find a few examples of players at other positions making comebacks, but I can't remember a RB making it back after a second ACL.
Coming back from an ACL has gotten a lot easier than it was in Sayers' day though. Not long ago, ACL was considered a two-year window to fully recover. Now it's well under one.

Had some good years with Torrey smith in a TD distance scoring league. Stupid move on all sides of the Baltimore to SF thing.

http://www.fantasylabs.com/articles/do-most-running-backs-fully-recover-from-acl-tears/

After his first knee injury, Gayle Sayers came back to lead the league in rushing. Charles himself, ADP, Moreno - lots of recent examples.

The second ACL ended Sayers career. I can find a few examples of players at other positions making comebacks, but I can't remember a RB making it back after a second ACL.
Coming back from an ACL has gotten a lot easier than it was in Sayers' day though. Not long ago, ACL was considered a two-year window to fully recover. Now it's well under one.
No question, arthroscopic surgery revolutionized operative treatment of the knee.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/25/nfl-history-in-95-objects-arthroscope-adrian-peterson-surgery

But the odds are still against Charles ever being the same.

I wouldn't say well under a year. But yeah, HGH is a hell of a drug.

I'm just going off memory here, but I think Frank Gore tore both ACLs and maybe Deuce did, too. He was never elite, but I feel like Buckhalter tore his ACL every year.

Either way, I agree... at nearly 30 Charles is a risky play for 2016. I'll be shocked if he's drafted in the first round. Especially if West keeps looking good. There will be talk of RBBC which will deter potential first round drafters.

Losing Welker was sad.

Lynch?

My guess is that he's back with Seattle next year, but getting cut and playing for a new team is the 2nd most likely, with the rumors magically coming true about retirement being the third most likely scenario of the three.
The retirement "rumors" were all about him looking for a little more security on his contract - which he got. So I agree.

I'm just going off memory here, but I think Frank Gore tore both ACLs and maybe Deuce did, too. He was never elite, but I feel like Buckhalter tore his ACL every year.

Either way, I agree... at nearly 30 Charles is a risky play for 2016. I'll be shocked if he's drafted in the first round. Especially if West keeps looking good. There will be talk of RBBC which will deter potential first round drafters.
Good calls on Gore (both in college) and Deuce (2005 & 2007.)

Gore has been really durable as a pro - 250 carriers every year, except that one year he fractured his hip (still had over 200, right?).

McAllister was older and was not the same guy when he came. Serviceable that last year but he was one and done.

Losing Welker was sad.

Lynch?

The retirement "rumors" were all about him looking for a little more security on his contract - which he got. So I agree.
fair enough, hence the question mark.

I wouldn't say well under a year. But yeah, HGH is a hell of a drug.
I'd be more concerned if it was the same knee he injured before but with HGH I expect him to make the same recovery Peterson did.

Getting more money was definitely the goal, but I'm not sure it was all a bluff- he may have retired if Seattle didn't pony up more money (they gave him a lot more, $5MM iirc). I think he'll keep playing if the money is there, but I can definitely see him walking away if it isn't.

:lol: Thought this was a thread of fantasy owners announcing their retirement

For me, it's Andre Johnson. Guy should have hung up the cleats already. Painful to watch his lack of lateral movement anymore. I've said it before but the Colts would have been better off keeping Wayne or Nicks than trying to incorporate a 34 year old system rookie with nothing left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread