What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Saturday Night Football on ABC - Lions 11-4 at Cowboys 10-5** (-5.5 , 52) 8:15 (1 Viewer)

I’m on vacation so I’m going to bed in a minute and waking up refreshed in paradise tomorrow morning but if I told you before the game that there would be a controversial ending, 100% of us here would have known which team was going to be on the wrong side of that call. I don’t know what it is, but we all know.

It’s baffling to me that people just think extending the game and going to OT is better than a 2 yard conversion. Even 4 yards. 7 is where it’s super iffy but the first and third decision were spot on and every coach should employ it. Stop being cowards.
Lions lost an overtime game earlier in the year where the offense never touched the ball.
Happens all the time. Win the game when you have the ball in your hand. Having the ball is the most advantageous aspect of the game.

If the ref doesn’t announce it how does the defense know? Seems like that wouldn’t be fair
True but also can you even hear those announcements in that situation? Could Decker have possible recognized he didn’t get called eligible?
What would be his recourse even if he did? They didn’t have any timeouts left, so it’s not like anyone would have time do anything about it by the time he realizes what happened.

Of course, I also think Campbell cost his team by never doing anything to help out his guys on Lamb. How do you keep running out singlet coverage on him all game long as he continually dominates you? Just crazy to me.

The part I don’t understand is why did both 70 and 68 report as eligible. Specifically why for 70?
Not sure if this is true or not, but I just saw on Twitter someone say that #70 said he didn’t actually report.

I really hope we get a full answer in the pool report from the refs on this one.

Here's what happened. #68 went over to report as eligible. #70 was running on the field toward the ref when #68 was reporting. The referee saw #70 and when he heard, reporting as eligible, he got the wrong number. When he nods, he's looking directly at #70. It is a mistake by the ref, as it should have been #68, not #70. A mistake that cost the Lions a game, through no fault of their own.

I mean if you want to go zapruder film the Hendershot/Hutchinson trip that wasn't would have had this game over. The refs I honestly think got the players backwards and meant to call it the other way and maybe mixed the names up. Only explanation I have

Terrible call to blow the game.

Just awful.

I’m on vacation so I’m going to bed in a minute and waking up refreshed in paradise tomorrow morning but if I told you before the game that there would be a controversial ending, 100% of us here would have known which team was going to be on the wrong side of that call. I don’t know what it is, but we all know.
:goodposting:

Looking at the video, Allen either looks like he's on the take, or he's as clueless as Phil Luckett calling a Jerome Bettis coin toss.

****ing hope that's not the case, because that would fry me. Just make me livid. I don't care about not covering the receiver. Let them call that if they catch it. But the call was a non-report, so any of this ******** "yeah, but even if. . . " just chafes me. Save it for your appellate brief.
I believe from what I’m seeing online- decker did not need to be covered if he was eligible
I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that it's pretty straight forward. If he's covered, he's not eligible. If he's not covered, he's eligible (assuming he reported).

Campbell gets no pass from me because you cannot coach reckless 100% of the time. He flat out gives away points during games. At some point you have to coach situationally.

The two point conversion call was fine other than the fact his dumb decisions earlier put them in that position. And they got screwed on the call. Welcome to the **** NFL.

But you gotta bury that to give your team a chance to win. Especially now when seeding effing matters.

Campbell failed his team. I’m sorry - he just did.
Can't disagree, to not kick the FG earlier in the game was the wrong call. I don't care if they converted. To end the game, take a deep breath and make the correct decision you are paid to make, not the stubborn frustrated decision after you had time to take a deep breath and tie the game.

Especially playing at Dallas

Especially playing at Dallas
Come on now, nothing bad ever happens in Dallas.

If the ref doesn’t announce it how does the defense know? Seems like that wouldn’t be fair
True but also can you even hear those announcements in that situation? Could Decker have possible recognized he didn’t get called eligible?
What would be his recourse even if he did? They didn’t have any timeouts left, so it’s not like anyone would have time do anything about it by the time he realizes what happened.

Of course, I also think Campbell cost his team by never doing anything to help out his guys on Lamb. How do you keep running out singlet coverage on him all game long as he continually dominates you? Just crazy to me.
Goff audibles into another play. And sure Lions couldn’t stop Lamb except they held the Cowboys to 20 in Dallas. That seems Ike a success.

I really don't get having four chances at OT (basically) and not taking any and lose.
Your odds covering from the 2 are like 70-75%. Odds of winning in OT significantly lower than that.

Would not have said the same about going for it from the 7. That was a bit reckless.
Sure the pure analytics say go for it but when you suck all night in short yardage situations maybe just maybe consider game flow
Ok but then game flow was they just went 80 yards in 60 seconds.
I get it
But they were terrible in short yardage all night long
No more prevent or soft coverage (which is what allowed them to move 80 yards) inside the 10.

Lions fan here. I definitely raised an eyebrow when they went for it from the 7, but honestly, the result didn’t matter all that much. I think it was much more about MCDC challenging his team for the playoffs than it was winning this one game.

In any event, they had the right play call for the final attempt. Goff just underthrew him.

In fact, the other key plays of the game (CeeDee TD and Goff’s second INT) were also ones where they had the right play call and didn’t execute. They know what they need to clean up for the playoffs

Last edited:
Campbell gets no pass from me because you cannot coach reckless 100% of the time. He flat out gives away points during games. At some point you have to coach situationally.

The two point conversion call was fine other than the fact his dumb decisions earlier put them in that position. And they got screwed on the call. Welcome to the **** NFL.

But you gotta bury that to give your team a chance to win. Especially now when seeding effing matters.

Can't disagree, to not kick the FG earlier in the game was the wrong call. I don't care if they converted. To end the game, take a deep breath and make the correct decision you are paid to make, not the stubborn frustrated decision after you had time to take a deep breath and tie the game.

This is where I'm at. If you're 4th a 1 or 4th and 2 and have a tush push play where it's almost automatic to convert, I understand. But 4th and 4, take the points.

I really don't get having four chances at OT (basically) and not taking any and lose.
Your odds covering from the 2 are like 70-75%. Odds of winning in OT significantly lower than that.

Would not have said the same about going for it from the 7. That was a bit reckless.
Sure the pure analytics say go for it but when you suck all night in short yardage situations maybe just maybe consider game flow
Ok but then game flow was they just went 80 yards in 60 seconds.
I get it
But they were terrible in short yardage all night long
No more prevent or soft coverage (which is what allowed them to move 80 yards) inside the 10.
But they converted and the ref apparently screwed up. I don’t get how anybody could be upset at the process here.

Lions fan here. I definitely raised an eyebrow when they went for it from the 7, but honestly, the result didn’t matter all that much. I think it was much more about MCDC challenging his team for the playoffs than it was winning this one game.

In any event, they had the right play call for the final attempt. Goff just underthrew him.

In fact, the other key plays off the game (CeeDee TD and Goff’s second INT) were also ones where they had the right play call and didn’t execute. They know what they need to clean up for the playoffs

You say that now, but playing at home in the playoffs matters. The bye matters. They had a shot at the #1 seed, a bye and hosting the NFCCG, now they will have to win 3 games, and probably 2 road games to get to the Superbowl. Not impossible, but they just made their path much harder.

Even if the Lions did everything they were supposed to, if the refs did not announce it in the stadium and inform/signal the Cowboys as to players reporting as eligible, I don’t believe the play would stand and it likely would have had to be replayed. Dallas would have had no way to know that there was a lineman eligible and had to cover him.

In fact, the other key plays off the game (CeeDee TD and Goff’s second INT) were also ones where they had the right play call and didn’t execute. They know what they need to clean up for the playoffs

You say that now, but playing at home in the playoffs matters. The bye matters. They had a shot at the #1 seed, a bye and hosting the NFCCG, now they will have to win 3 games, and probably 2 road games to get to the Superbowl. Not impossible, but they just made their path much harder.
Of course I’d rather have home field. But who’s to say that call is what cost them? If he does kick they go into OT on the road against a team with a WR they couldn’t cover and a K who never misses. There are no guarantees.

Did the numbers suggest kicking? I haven’t seen any, but I could certainly see how they might have, especially from the 7. But I don’t think it was a slam dunk either way, and in any event I don’t believe for a second that Campbell based his decision on the numbers. And I have faith that in the long run these kinds of decisions will pay off. Hopefully this year and into the future

So here is my question, if 68 was reporting and 70 was not (per Schefter tweet) why was 70 running a beeline to the official from the sideline? If one and only one lineman was reporting eligible then why were there three? Were they just messy with the reporting or were they trying to deliberately confuse the defense and it bit them on the butt. Goff told 68 to report and if he was the only lineman to run over there I don't think there would have been an issue. The third lineman there was 58 so there was a possible mix up of thinking he heard 58 instead of 68 reporting and 70 runs from the sideline urgently like he's the guy. Don't be sloppy with your trick play.

I’m going to claim it will be close to impossible for them to win 2 road playoff games.

The only reason the Lions had the chance for the FG in the first place was because Campbell made the call for the fake punt. The Lions were able to control the clock, keep Dallas offense off the field. There is not another coach in the NFL that would have called the fake punt there. Campbell was playing with house money at that point. It makes no sense to blame Campbell at that point.

It looks like Decker reported on replay.
Rob job

The NFL has a very serious problem.
I mean if you want to go zapruder film the Hendershot/Hutchinson trip that wasn't would have had this game over. The refs I honestly think got the players backwards and meant to call it the other way and maybe mixed the names up. Only explanation I have

They never did show a replay of this. Straight to commercial for the 2 minute warning. Thought that was bad work by the TV crew.

The ref failed the team. Dan Campbell was Rocky Balboa out there knocking fools out but the ref can't count to ten.

Of course I’d rather have home field. But who’s to say that call is what cost them? If he does kick they go into OT on the road against a team with a WR they couldn’t cover and a K who never misses. There are no guarantees.

Did the numbers suggest kicking? I haven’t seen any, but I could certainly see how they might have, especially from the 7. But I don’t think it was a slam dunk either way, and in any event I don’t believe for a second that Campbell based his decision on the numbers. And I have faith that in the long run these kinds of decisions will pay off. Hopefully this year and into the future

Or they could have kicked the XP, won the coin toss, marched down the field, scored a TD and won the game without their defense ever seeing the field again.

Or they could have kicked the XP, won the coin toss, marched down the field, scored a TD and won the game without their defense ever seeing the field again.
The exact opposite happened to them in the Seattle game this year.

It looks like Decker reported on replay.
Rob job

The NFL has a very serious problem.

They never did show a replay of this. Straight to commercial for the 2 minute warning. Thought that was bad work by the TV crew.
Someone needs to tell Scott Van Pelt that McCarthy blew two of his timeouts before the first two point attempt.

No way should anybody even be coming close to criticizing Dan Campbell. Taking three points from the three or tying the game from the three are good ways to lose a game. It didn't work this time, but it has such a higher EPA or WP% in their favor that kicking the duck is stupid.
Yeah, maybe if Campbell coaches conservatively, the Lions win tonight... to improve to 8-8 on the season. Fourth down conversions have been a huge part of their success all year.

So here is my question, if 68 was reporting and 70 was not (per Schefter tweet) why was 70 running a beeline to the official from the sideline? If one and only one lineman was reporting eligible then why were there three? Were they just messy with the reporting or were they trying to deliberately confuse the defense and it bit them on the butt. Goff told 68 to report and if he was the only lineman to run over there I don't think there would have been an issue. The third lineman there was 58 so there was a possible mix up of thinking he heard 58 instead of 68 reporting and 70 runs from the sideline urgently like he's the guy. Don't be sloppy with your trick play.

The referee announces eligible receivers so you can't be sneaky anyway.

Why would you want to rely on a coin flip to win? That seems kind of dumb. Why not just try to score from the two and win the game. In one case you rely on chance, in the other case you rely on your execution.

No way should anybody even be coming close to criticizing Dan Campbell. Taking three points from the three or tying the game from the three are good ways to lose a game. It didn't work this time, but it has such a higher EPA or WP% in their favor that kicking the duck is stupid.
Yeah, maybe if Campbell coaches conservatively, the Lions win tonight... to improve to 8-8 on the season. Fourth down conversions have been a huge part of their success all year.
People only mention them when they don't work, never when they do.

Why would you want to rely on a coin flip to win? That seems kind of dumb. Why not just try to score from the two and win the game. In one case you rely on chance, in the other case you rely on your execution.

Because they were on the 7. Then they were on the 4.

Yeah they might have even gotten down to the 2 yard line to run a play hey wait a minute

Well we just saw confusion didn't we? 68 was supposed to be the reporter but 70 ran in like he was telling the ref something. Maybe the ref announces 68 but a LB saw 70 sprint to the ref and thinks he's the guy and glosses over what number the ref said. Why is 70 running to the ref when he can see 68 heading there, if he isn't reporting then why not just run to the huddle. Guys are trying to process info quickly so seeing a guy run there and then hearing a different number might be a mix up. Which seems to be what happened with the ref so it wouldn't be inconceivable for it to happen to a defense. Why is 70 running there?

Well we just saw confusion didn't we? 68 was supposed to be the reporter but 70 ran in like he was telling the ref something. Maybe the ref announces 68 but a LB saw 70 sprint to the ref and thinks he's the guy and glosses over what number the ref said. Why is 70 running to the ref when he can see 68 heading there, if he isn't reporting then why not just run to the huddle. Guys are trying to process info quickly so seeing a guy run there and then hearing a different number might be a mix up. Which seems to be what happened with the ref so it wouldn't be inconceivable for it to happen to a defense. Why is 70 running there?

Huh? 68 wasn't announced as eligible to the defense. The confusion was with the referee, not the Cowboys. You don't want to confuse the ref or this is what happens. Once an ineligible reports as eligible, the referee announces to the defense that a player has reported as eligible. The entire offensive line can go to the referee, and the only eligible players are the ones the referee announces to the defense.

I think McCarthy has done a good job overall, but he almost blew it. It's not the first time that's happened, lol. I mean, with an elite D, make them go the distance in a minute or so, not double that.

BTW, the Lions are a great story, but Goff will continue to hold them back. Hendon Hooker needs to be the starter next year & that's not something that's negotiable.

Yeah they might have even gotten down to the 2 yard line to run a play hey wait a minute

Except, they weren't at the 2 yard line. They were at the 7 yard line. Then they were at the 4 yard line.

Also, in OT, they could get down there and have more than 1 play to get in to win. But, yeah, doing what they did was so much better. How did that work out for them?

So the ref clearly got confused so now he’s either flat out lying with the video evidence seeming to disagree with his story or he made a mistake where Decler was reporting, but he was looking at 70.

In either case, feels like the ref is clearly in the wrong and the NFL better act. They cannot fine players as they do and continue to gloss over extremely poor officiating with obvious major mistakes with zero opportunity to review things or no repercussions.

The ball don't lie, mark my words, the Lions will go further than the Cowboys in the playoffs. ****ty way to lose but Campbell will use this as motivation in the playoffs.

Will he motivate Goff to stop throwing the ball to the wrong team? That's a bigger problem than the final sequence of the game.
I come away from this game feeling the Lions may be the 2nd best team in the NFC, "BUTT" the stubborn coach and a QB that seems to be holding back the offense may be the major issue. I love my Lions but Goff is not the QB to take this team for a Super Bowl victory.

From the pool report, the ref said that 70 had reported as eligible several times earlier. The ref further stated that 70 didn’t even need to do that. He also said that they threw a 2nd flag for illegal formation because 70 was covered up on the play which can’t happen as an eligible receiver.

Detroit said that they specifically had 70 go over to make sure the ref knew that he was NOT eligible on the play because they knew he would be lined up to where he would
Be covered up on the formation. Campbell even went to the refs before the game to go over this exact play with them to make sure they understood when it happened.

So basically everything that Detroit said makes 100% sense and is backed up by all the video we saw while the refs’ side of things makes zero sense logically and by the video.

Detroit went out of their way to make sure the refs didn’t screw it up and the refs still managed to screw it up.

The ball don't lie, mark my words, the Lions will go further than the Cowboys in the playoffs. ****ty way to lose but Campbell will use this as motivation in the playoffs.

Will he motivate Goff to stop throwing the ball to the wrong team? That's a bigger problem than the final sequence of the game.
I come away from this game feeling the Lions may be the 2nd best team in the NFC, "BUTT" the stubborn coach and a QB that seems to be holding back the offense may be the major issue. I love my Lions but Goff is not the QB to take this team for a Super Bowl victory.
The Harry High School interceptions he keeps making are rookie mistakes, he should not be throwing these passes.

Users who are viewing this thread