What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (1 Viewer)

Trying to buy tickets.  Keep on getting zip coded out.  I call bull#### on the news that they are now allowing all zip codes 

Anyone still think Shanahan should be fired? His team has been in 2 of the last 3 NFC championship games with one SB appearance and maybe another coming. 

There was a point this season when we were 3-4 or 3-5 where I was questioning if he was the right coach...but it's pretty apparent he is, even though he seems to out think himself at times and makes questionable calls.

Also...let's not forget Jimmy is undefeated in conference championship games as a starter.  😁

Anyone still think Shanahan should be fired? His team has been in 2 of the last 3 NFC championship games with one SB appearance and maybe another coming. 

There was a point this season when we were 3-4 or 3-5 where I was questioning if he was the right coach...but it's pretty apparent he is, even though he seems to out think himself at times and makes questionable calls.

Also...let's not forget Jimmy is undefeated in conference championship games as a starter.  😁
I dont follow this thread but people thought that? He's one of the top 8 coaches in the league in my opinion.

It shouldn't matter on secondary market, no? Or are they squelching there too?
My Cc company said Ticketmaster has approved, then voided all 15 transactions I’ve made with them so yeah, they are squelching it.

If I go to Ticketmaster’s website, the Game shows up right away.  Wheb I log in, the game disappears and even when I search for sports / rams /this weekend it tells me No Events 

The OL melted down the last two possessions.  Jimmy wasn’t great today but he’s getting too much hate on twitter right now. 

Looking forward to the Lance era with this squad. 

He had a chance to win it and he choked. It is what it is.
He had 2 guys in his face immediately every snap at the end. Brady wouldn’t have done better under those circumstances. I’d reserve the choking label for Tartt, unfortunately. Feel really bad for him. 

As a Ram fan I thought Jimmy G played flawlessly until the end. The last series was a team debacle. Bad play calls, bad protection and a desperation heave. To me he’s nothing more than a good game manager. But he’s not the reason they lost today

Lol @ flawlessly. It doesnt matter, he won't be behind center in SF any more.

Next season is gonna be fun.

From a 3-5 start to almost winning the NFC championship game. Not bad. 

This team is now a yearly contender. Can't ask for much more than that.

Can't wait to see what this team looks like next season.

This couldnt have went any better for SF - except for winning lol - they have a great team in place and are very close to going over the top ala KC when Mahomes took over.  Besides getting them a better trade value for Jimmy - If Lance can develop and just be as good as Jimmy G (not a high bar) - with his running ability SF is going to be tough to beat next year.  I give them credit for going for it and letting the kid develop after spending so much on him - but its time to unleash!  

Judge Smails said:
But he’s not the reason they lost today
Not the reason they lost but he was unable to get the win for the team and that limitation is why Lance was drafted.

I think this excerpt from Tim Kawakami's article on The Athletic today perfectly sums the whole situation:

"Garoppolo has his strengths, which is what kept him locked into the starting spot from the day he stepped in for C.J. Beathard in 2017, weeks after he was traded to the 49ers. He threw some of his best passes of the season Sunday. His teammates rallied around him as always. But Garoppolo also has his limitations, which were evident again when the Rams’ defense crowded the line of scrimmage to stop the 49ers’ running game and dared Garoppolo to beat them.

Other teams have done this. Sometimes, the 49ers have been able to run it anyway and won easily. Sometimes, Garoppolo has been great. On Sunday, Garoppolo was OK but not good enough to beat a talented defense set up to take him down. He wasn’t close to the weakest 49ers link, but he isn’t and hasn’t ever been the kind of QB who covers up all other faults. He completed 16 of his 30 pass attempts for 232 yards and two touchdowns and a game-ending interception for a passer rating of 87.1.

The 49ers drafted Lance because he has the talent to punish defenses for overplaying the running game, he has the mobility to extend plays and he has the arm to get it to receivers flying deep downfield. The 49ers will turn the offense over to Lance next season, and we will see if he can turn into a version of the next Joe Burrow or Patrick Mahomes."

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Garoppolo went 3 for 9 for 30 yards and INT in 4th quarter. In 6 playoff starts Garoppolo has a 28.0 passer rating in the 4th, ranking last among 69 QBs w/ 30+ 4th quarter passes in playoffs since 1991.

Played flawlessly :lmao:  yea, for the Rams.

Team would’ve had 2 rings with competent QB play over the last 3 seasons. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Jimmy.

Not the reason they lost but he was unable to get the win for the team and that limitation is why Lance was drafted.

I think this excerpt from Tim Kawakami's article on The Athletic today perfectly sums the whole situation:
Yep, I totally agree. The Niners could win with him but he has to be healthy and everything else has to go almost perfectly. That’s not a long term recipe for success. Like Alex Smith, I’ll always have a lot of respect for him and how he handled the situation, but they needed to get better at the position. 

Also, in retrospect, it is pretty interesting that Stafford might be a Niner and the teams’ positions last night might have been reversed if Shanahan had been given a chance to outbid the Rams for him last offseason. 

Jimmy Garoppolo went 3 for 9 for 30 yards and INT in 4th quarter. In 6 playoff starts Garoppolo has a 28.0 passer rating in the 4th, ranking last among 69 QBs w/ 30+ 4th quarter passes in playoffs since 1991.

Played flawlessly :lmao:  yea, for the Rams.

Team would’ve had 2 rings with competent QB play over the last 3 seasons. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Jimmy.
Rams controlled the 4th quarter.  Shanahan had some interesting play calls to say the least. Until then Jimmy G was crushing Stafford in QB rating.  I’m not a Jimmy G fan. Thought he w would do worse. Kept waiting for pick 6’s. He played better than I expected most of the game. Dumb pick at the end but he was mauled. Was going to lose 20 yards no matter what and it would have been 4th down. Rams D stepped up in the 4th

Rams controlled the 4th quarter.  Shanahan had some interesting play calls to say the least. Until then Jimmy G was crushing Stafford in QB rating.  I’m not a Jimmy G fan. Thought he w would do worse. Kept waiting for pick 6’s. He played better than I expected most of the game. Dumb pick at the end but he was mauled. Was going to lose 20 yards no matter what and it would have been 4th down. Rams D stepped up in the 4th
He was 3/9 for 30 yards and an INT in the 4th quarter. You’re entitled to your opinion, but you certainly can’t use stats as your evidence. If you want to go by who smiled the most, well then Jimmy is your flawless player.

When it was 2nd and 1 and they punted on 4th and 2, to me sitting and watching it felt like we were done at that point. That’s when my happiness faded. Don’t get me wrong, Jimmy was one major piece of the equation, but we were exposed where we were weakest in the secondary and Tartt has a stain that will be there for a long time. All kidding aside, my 9 year old makes that catch 6-7 out of 10.

Someone also said upthread that Shanny is a top 8 coach, I find that hysterical. Supposedly, he’s an offensive guru, but it was everything except our play calling and QB play (a QB who he highly endorsed) that got us this far.

He was 3/9 for 30 yards and an INT in the 4th quarter. You’re entitled to your opinion, but you certainly can’t use stats as your evidence. If you want to go by who smiled the most, well then Jimmy is your flawless player.
He said Jimmy had a higher QB rating PRIOR to the 4th quarter.  We all saw the 4th quarter ineptitude, including Tartt's drop.  Losing Deebo was a big blow and maybe the difference maker yesterday.  Shanahan's play calling left a lot to be desired.  A couple dumb penalties along the way didn't help... personal fouls, even a taunting call.

Welcome to the Trey Lance era.

Assuming the contract is renegotiated and extended, would you guys consider a trade of Cousins and a 2nd for Trey Lance? An idea brought up by some Minnesota sports guys.

Assuming the contract is renegotiated and extended, would you guys consider a trade of Cousins and a 2nd for Trey Lance? An idea brought up by some Minnesota sports guys.
I’m not a Niners fan, but if I were I would certainly not want that exchange to happen. 

He said Jimmy had a higher QB rating PRIOR to the 4th quarter.  We all saw the 4th quarter ineptitude, including Tartt's drop.  Losing Deebo was a big blow and maybe the difference maker yesterday.  Shanahan's play calling left a lot to be desired.  A couple dumb penalties along the way didn't help... personal fouls, even a taunting call.

Welcome to the Trey Lance era.
My whole point was he’s terrible, that’s really all I was getting across.

Just give me the 2nd and not Cousins and I’d be thrilled. If I owned a team and my GM gave anything for Jimmy, I’d fire him. I don’t want to rattle Trey’s confidence with a guy like Kirk behind him. I’d rather a guy like Dalton as a backup, someone who spent a year as a backup already.

We have one year left before Bosa becomes the most expensive defense player in the league and 3 years of cheap Trey left.

Wouldn't that be stupid on the 49'ers part considering all the draft capital they spent on Lance last year and letting him sit and learn for a year?  Cousins isn't exactly a high end QB.  Of course a Minnesota sports guy would like that and I wish Tom Brady would trade me his wife for mine.

Just give me the 2nd and not Cousins and I’d be thrilled. If I owned a team and my GM gave anything for Jimmy, I’d fire him. I don’t want to rattle Trey’s confidence with a guy like Kirk behind him. I’d rather a guy like Dalton as a backup, someone who spent a year as a backup already.

We have one year left before Bosa becomes the most expensive defense player in the league and 3 years of cheap Trey left.
He said Cousins and a 2nd for Lance

Obviously the Minnesota guys would like that lol

I have no clue what 9ers have in Lance but I know what Im getting with Cousins and it aint a Super Bowl title. 

You think the 'Niners paid all of that capital to draft Johnson and would then turn around a include him in a deal to land Kirk Cousins? Seems pretty unrealistic. 

Obviously the Minnesota guys would like that lol

I have no clue what 9ers have in Lance but I know what Im getting with Cousins and it aint a Super Bowl title. 
Cousins would be a huge upgrade over Jimmy G and that gets you to the SB this year.  Cousins is great with time off play action and in this offense he would be great.   I think he would be the perfect QB for this team.  The problem is his contract is a bit handcuffing for the cap.  That would cause some issues down the road.  

Also, no way SF trades Lance for something like this.  They gave up too much for Lance and will live or die with him for the foreseeable future.  

Cousins would be a huge upgrade over Jimmy G and that gets you to the SB this year.  Cousins is great with time off play action and in this offense he would be great.   I think he would be the perfect QB for this team.  The problem is his contract is a bit handcuffing for the cap.  That would cause some issues down the road.  

Also, no way SF trades Lance for something like this.  They gave up too much for Lance and will live or die with him for the foreseeable future.  
Does he? How many playoff games has Cousins won for the Vikings and he's had a stacked offense with Diggs, Theilen, Jefferson, and Cook. The guy continually fails on nationally televised games. He reminds me of a Jeff George (a stat compiler who cant win a big game).

Does he? How many playoff games has Cousins won for the Vikings and he's had a stacked offense with Diggs, Theilen, Jefferson, and Cook. The guy continually fails on nationally televised games. He reminds me of a Jeff George (a stat compiler who cant win a big game).
He was also saddled with a coach that has lost it and a defense that was not very good.  I don't think Cousins is a come from behind and win a game on his own kind of guy but he is a much better QB than Jimmy G which would have put the 49ers over the top with how they were constructed.  He works really well when the run game is going and can put the dagger in with play action when leading.  His biggest issue with the Vikes was Zimmer playing ultra conservative when up by 7 pts without keeping the foot on the gas and then the defense peters out by the end and they lose.  

I am not saying Cousins is a top 5 QB.  I am saying he is much better than Jimmy G and SF didn't need a top 5 QB to win.  They needed a better QB than Jimmy G.

Wouldn't that be stupid on the 49'ers part considering all the draft capital they spent on Lance last year and letting him sit and learn for a year?  Cousins isn't exactly a high end QB.  Of course a Minnesota sports guy would like that and I wish Tom Brady would trade me his wife for mine.
I'd put Cousins at or around Stafford's level and be was the missing piece that brought the Rams to the Superbowl. Not so dumb imo. Plus Shanny Jr has coveted Kirk for years.

They're not trading Lance, and if they would they certainly wouldn't trade him for less than they gave up to draft him.

I'd put Cousins at or around Stafford's level and be was the missing piece that brought the Rams to the Superbowl. Not so dumb imo. Plus Shanny Jr has coveted Kirk for years.
You give Cousins too much credit, so I disagree.  Not a chance on God's green earth the 49'ers would trade Lance for Cousins and some throw in 2nd rd pick.  Not with what they have invested.  To think otherwise is beyond me.

You give Cousins too much credit, so I disagree.  Not a chance on God's green earth the 49'ers would trade Lance for Cousins and some throw in 2nd rd pick.  Not with what they have invested.  To think otherwise is beyond me.
I didnt really see Lance this year. Depends on what they see in him. He didn't exactly push his way onto the field and displace a mediocre Jimmy G. I don't think Cousins throws all those bizarro Stafford picks either so I don't think comparing him at least somewhat similar or perhaps a little more favorable to Stafford is a huge reach. Anywas, it would probably never happen. Was just interested in Niner fans takes. There are ALOT of QB needy teams this year. I think there's a good chance for a solid return for Cousins if the Vikings move him.

I didnt really see Lance this year. Depends on what they see in him. He didn't exactly push his way onto the field and displace a mediocre Jimmy G. I don't think Cousins throws all those bizarro Stafford picks either so I don't think comparing him at least somewhat similar or perhaps a little more favorable to Stafford is a huge reach. Anywas, it would probably never happen. Was just interested in Niner fans takes. There are ALOT of QB needy teams this year. I think there's a good chance for a solid return for Cousins if the Vikings move him.
I respectfully disagree with the Lance / Cousins part, but I do agree with your last sentence, but they would have to look some place other than San Francisco. 

I didnt really see Lance this year. Depends on what they see in him. He didn't exactly push his way onto the field and displace a mediocre Jimmy G. 

The plan all along was to have Jimmy be the starter when healthy (or healthy enough to play) and have Lance carry a clipboard this season.The only way Lance was gonna see the field was if Jimmy was hurt and couldnt play. We didn't even see Lance in garbage time except for once I think, and maybe a few plays early in the season...after that Kyle said he wasn't gonna rotate QBs in and out because he believes it disrupts rhythm of the offense. 

There was nothing Lance could have done this year to take Jimmy's job unless Jimmy had missed several weeks and Lance played absolute lights out...or maybe if SF would have been eliminated from the playoffs.

I thought the question was Jimmy for Kirk and a 2nd. Should've realized that made no sense. 

Zero chance they trade Lance unless they get at least 2 first round picks for him. We have 3 years of cheap Trey; guy is 6'4, 240, 4.4 and change 40, and a cannon for an arm. I'd let him roll at least 2 seasons almost unconditionally. 

The game against the Cardinals he started didn't show us anything. Shanny had a typical bad and stupid game plan that the Cards were ready for. IIRC, he ran the ball on designed QB runs at least 12 times, most up the middle, he took a beating, and was hurt the following week (way to groom the future Shanny). 

The game against the Texans (I'm aware that is a subpar team) he looked good considering his head coach has given him no confidence (imo). He was 16/23 for 250 2/1 (could've been a 2nd pick as well iirc), but he looked poised and every bit an NFL starting QB, especially considering the very conservative game plan. With Trey at QB, I can actually see Shanny's offense being much better (if we have a QB that can get the ball down the field, and Trey can do that). Having a QB who is a dual threat that can throw bombs will put defenses in a position to have to respect the pass over the top, which should open the run and scramble game. 

Priority free agent signings, any defense lineman we can retain for cheap, this unit was cohesive and excellent. DJ Jones prob won't be very cheap, but I think we need to keep him. Key and Street are worth keeping as well for the right price. Al-Shaair should be kept as well, but when signing these defensive guys, they need to be cognizant of the help they need in the secondary. If Jauan Jennings is cheap enough, I like what he has shown and would say he is worth keeping as well. Sad to not have a first rounder, but I think they need a CB in the 2nd round and a Guard in the 3rd (I'm fine letting Laken go if his demands are high). 

Everyone else is worth basically zero, imo. 

Getting Jimmy's terrible contract off the books should free up some space to tighten up the secondary as well I believe. 

Bosa will be very expensive soon, so preparing for that is key. 

The bottom line imo is that this team has the key pieces in place to make a run next year, and if Trey Lance is just competent, they are a contender. If he is a stud, anything short of a SB would be a disappointment to me. 

They're talking trade already.

Jimmy: "I just want to go to a place where they want to win."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/01/jimmy-garoppolo-i-just-want-to-go-to-a-place-where-they-want-to-win/

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said that no decisions have been made regarding what the team will do with quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo when he spoke to reporters on Tuesday, but Garoppolo sounded like he knows what the end result of that process is going to be when he met with the media later in the day.

Garoppolo said he’s not ruling anything out, but that he has spoken with General Manager John Lynch about trade destinations and that “things will happen pretty quickly” now that everyone’s attention is on the offseason. He said he thinks “both sides will be happy in the end” and also shared what he’s looking for in his next stop.

“I just want to go to a place where they want to win,” Garoppolo said.

Garoppolo called it “weird” to be facing the imminent end of his time with the 49ers because he’s made “great relationships” that will now be coming to a halt, but that knowing Trey Lance‘s arrival pointed to his departure made it easier to enjoy his last season with the team. He also said he’ll appreciate not being in the same situation next season while adding that he knows every NFL year presents its own challenges.

Jimmy says goodbye to 49er fans, media

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/156064-jimmy-garoppolo-goodbye-49ers-media-while-deliberates-future/

"It's been a fun ride guys and I really appreciate you for that," Garoppolo said. "And yeah, I'll miss you guys. So thank you guys again. Faithful, thank you very much for everything. It's been crazy man, just all the comebacks at Levi's, comebacks on the road, ups and downs, it's been a hell of a ride guys. I love you guys. So, see ya."

Before saying those goodbyes, Garoppolo shed some light on where things stand with the 49ers and what he's looking for in a potential future destination. Not surprisingly, Garoppolo's main priority is landing somewhere that wants to win, which is something he's experienced throughout his career with the Patriots and 49ers.

"We've talked a little bit. I think more will happen in the days to come," Garoppolo said. "But yeah, these guys have been very up front about the whole thing. Just talking to John yesterday about finding the right destination and whatever the future holds, just doing it the right way. I've got a long career ahead of me. I'm excited about it. I'm excited about the opportunities to come. I just want to go to a place where they want to win. That's really what I'm in this game for. I'm here to play football. I'm here to win football games. As long as I've got that and good people around me, I think the rest will take care of itself."

In terms of a possible trade, Garoppolo suggested he and the 49ers will work to find a solution that will be satisfactory to both sides.

"As far as the whole trade situation, John's been very clear with it," Garoppolo said. "I think they're trying to do the best for me, I'm trying to do the best for them. We're working together on that -- really haven't made too much progress on it but I think things will start happening here pretty quickly."

Users who are viewing this thread