What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers 2013 thread (SEE NEW 2014 THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Cant wait to see what this kid brings to the offense...hopefully he can get back to where he was before the injury...

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/lattimore-i-felt-i-couldve-played

Lattimore: 'I felt like I could've played'

SANTA CLARA -- Running back Marcus Lattimore spent his entire rookie year getting ready for the 2014 season.

Although he was officially out for the season after remaining on the non-football injury list in early December, Lattimore said his physical condition would have allowed him to play late in the season.

“I’d say about December, I felt like I could’ve played,” Lattimore said.

Of course, the 49ers never gave any thought to playing Lattimore, whose final season at South Carolina ended with a career-threatening dislocated knee and three torn ligaments. The 49ers invested a fourth-round pick in Lattimore with the future in mind.

Lattimore knew the situation from the beginning. He never gave any thought to campaigning to get his shot in live game action, he said.

When asked if Lattimore will be available for full participation in the 49ers’ offseason program, which can begin April 21, 49ers coach Harbaugh said, “I believe so, yes. I think this has been an outstanding year for Marcus. Tough at times, but I think great things will happen for him.”

Lattimore practiced fully with the team during a three-week window, which concluded Dec. 6. He spent the final six weeks attending meetings and working out under the direction of the 49ers’ strength-and-conditioning staff.

“I know I’m going to be ready physically (for the offseason program),” Lattimore said. “I’m going to be excited and just got to be myself.”

Lattimore’s performance next season will determine the level at which he will be asked to contribute to the 49ers in 2014. And after spending one season around the team, he knows what it will take for him to earn playing time from running backs coach Tom Rathman.

“The biggest thing with Tom is pass protection,” Lattimore said. “That’s the biggest thing you got to know. If you can’t protect the quarterback, you can’t play.”

Listening to Ted Robinson - voice of the 49er radio broadcast for those who don't know, as well as one of the best and more ubiquitous broadcasters in the biz who covers major tennis games, Pac 12 football, the Olympics winter and summer, as well as baseball (you hear his voice A Few Good Men with Tom Cruise watching a game, as well as a former broadcaster for the SF Giants) - on KNBR yesterday (who sometimes hosts a radio broadcast on that station as well) with Tom Tolbert and Ray Ratto brought up a few key points of the 49ers that sound very familiar here:

1 - The 49er passing offense needs to evolve and put TDs on the scoreboard instead of FGs (me: they still can't get past 2011 with that)

2- They still haven't been able to find or develop any WRs

3- The run game doesn't have anybody to spell Gore who has too much of the workload on his legs (me: Hunter and James are no answers there)

5- Draft picks such as Carradine and Lattimore still yet to prove they can spell Justin Smith and Gore next season (me: though we know why they aren't on the field)

6- They missed Delanie Walker, and Vance McDonald did little to replace him, and Bruce Miller filled Walker's old role more than Vance could

As well as a few other points I fail to remember at this moment.

Again, does any of this sound familiar here? I know I've been harping over all that most of the season. Hell, I had a mini Gekko post over a few of these points a few days ago. If I can see this, it's that obvious since I'm just a casual observer of the team.
These 2 worry me more so than anything else. Especially given the rumored conflict between Harbaugh and Baalke. It seems like Harbaugh wants to play a physical game and he wants football players but Baalke keeps picking up little speedsters and projects. It's probably why the McCloughan era guys have thrived because he had a tendency to draft big physical SEC guys. The James pick was the most baffling of all considering we already had Hunter. Harbaugh could've done wonders with a guy like Zac Stacy.

They need to get on the same page soon, you can only swing and miss so many times before you start seeing gaping holes (see packers D)

Now I know I won't tune into the radio broadcast next season:

Tim Ryan, who played with Jim Harbaugh in the NFL and spent the past 12 seasons as a FOX analyst, will take the unusual step of leaving network television for a radio booth.

Ryan, 46, will replace former 49ers cornerback Eric Davis as the team’s color analyst alongside play-by-play announcer Ted Robinson. Davis has spent the past two seasons juggling jobs. He is a host of “NFL AM” on NFL Network, which starts at 3 a.m. every weekday during the football season in Los Angeles.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/01/22/davis-says-49ers-radio-switch-is-all-good-ryan-jacked-to-join-franchise/

chinawildman said:
drummer said:
Listening to Ted Robinson - voice of the 49er radio broadcast for those who don't know, as well as one of the best and more ubiquitous broadcasters in the biz who covers major tennis games, Pac 12 football, the Olympics winter and summer, as well as baseball (you hear his voice A Few Good Men with Tom Cruise watching a game, as well as a former broadcaster for the SF Giants) - on KNBR yesterday (who sometimes hosts a radio broadcast on that station as well) with Tom Tolbert and Ray Ratto brought up a few key points of the 49ers that sound very familiar here:

1 - The 49er passing offense needs to evolve and put TDs on the scoreboard instead of FGs (me: they still can't get past 2011 with that)

3- The run game doesn't have anybody to spell Gore who has too much of the workload on his legs (me: Hunter and James are no answers there)

5- Draft picks such as Carradine and Lattimore still yet to prove they can spell Justin Smith and Gore next season (me: though we know why they aren't on the field)

6- They missed Delanie Walker, and Vance McDonald did little to replace him, and Bruce Miller filled Walker's old role more than Vance could

Again, does any of this sound familiar here? I know I've been harping over all that most of the season. Hell, I had a mini Gekko post over a few of these points a few days ago. If I can see this, it's that obvious since I'm just a casual observer of the team.
These 2 worry me more so than anything else. Especially given the rumored conflict between Harbaugh and Baalke. It seems like Harbaugh wants to play a physical game and he wants football players but Baalke keeps picking up little speedsters and projects. It's probably why the McCloughan era guys have thrived because he had a tendency to draft big physical SEC guys. The James pick was the most baffling of all considering we already had Hunter. Harbaugh could've done wonders with a guy like Zac Stacy.

They need to get on the same page soon, you can only swing and miss so many times before you start seeing gaping holes (see packers D)
I doubt they burned a second rounder on a guy like James without being on the same page. I think a lot of the blame is on Roman and Kaepernick for not being able to get a guy like that involved on screen plays.

I'm really hoping Roman gets a HC look somewhere. I think he is a decent coordinator but he is a running game guy who isn't terribly competent in drafting creative passing game plans. The next step in the evolution of the offense needs to be Kaepernick consistently throwing for 225-250 yards a game.

chinawildman said:
drummer said:

I doubt they burned a second rounder on a guy like James without being on the same page. I think a lot of the blame is on Roman and Kaepernick for not being able to get a guy like that involved on screen plays.

I'm really hoping Roman gets a HC look somewhere. I think he is a decent coordinator but he is a running game guy who isn't terribly competent in drafting creative passing game plans. The next step in the evolution of the offense needs to be Kaepernick consistently throwing for 225-250 yards a game.
They couldn't get James on the field of play most of this season. He was a game day scratch IIRC even last season to. Hell, he only played 4 games in 2012.

ETA: I forget if James was injured in 2012 though.

Last edited by a moderator:
chinawildman said:
drummer said:

McGlouhan always drafted BPA. Baalke seems to draft more in the mold of Parag Marathe's NE style value model which helps keep their salary cap malleable with Marathe's contract philosophy. That's why you see them hoard draft picks and shelf guys, whereas ScotM was building the team with starters and key FA's. The 49er hardly make big splashes with FA as well. The last one IIRC was Justin Smith.

Harbaugh wins with ScotM's talent more than Baalke's, and again, ScotM is now in SEA helping their FO strategize against the 49ers. The rumored conflict may not be between Harbaugh and Baalke. It may be more between Harbaugh and Marathe. Both Nolan and ScotM has issues with Marathe, and ScotM quit or was forced out (no one really knows, but rumors of an alcohol problem with ScotM surfaced, which may either be true or just some smoke sent out from the FO) on the franchise weeks before the draft.

Now, Marathe is taking of Gideon Yu's place in the FO since he stepped down. He still is negotiating contracts. How much influence he has going further with the roster is unknown. Yu is stepping down yet still owns part of the team, and was huge in making the move to the Silicon Valley with the new stadium getting all the financing for it with his Silicon Valley connections. Now it's just a matter of Harbaugh's contract extension, how much more power they give him as far as roster as well as overall power in the franchise, and how they keep him from holding out for Jerrah Jones willing to make him the highest paid HC in the NFL.

chinawildman said:
drummer said:

McGlouhan always drafted BPA. Baalke seems to draft more in the mold of Parag Marathe's NE style value model which helps keep their salary cap malleable with Marathe's contract philosophy. That's why you see them hoard draft picks and shelf guys, whereas ScotM was building the team with starters and key FA's. The 49er hardly make big splashes with FA as well. The last one IIRC was Justin Smith.

Harbaugh wins with ScotM's talent more than Baalke's, and again, ScotM is now in SEA helping their FO strategize against the 49ers. The rumored conflict may not be between Harbaugh and Baalke. It may be more between Harbaugh and Marathe. Both Nolan and ScotM has issues with Marathe, and ScotM quit or was forced out (no one really knows, but rumors of an alcohol problem with ScotM surfaced, which may either be true or just some smoke sent out from the FO) on the franchise weeks before the draft.

Now, Marathe is taking of Gideon Yu's place in the FO since he stepped down. He still is negotiating contracts. How much influence he has going further with the roster is unknown. Yu is stepping down yet still owns part of the team, and was huge in making the move to the Silicon Valley with the new stadium getting all the financing for it with his Silicon Valley connections. Now it's just a matter of Harbaugh's contract extension, how much more power they give him as far as roster as well as overall power in the franchise, and how they keep him from holding out for Jerrah Jones willing to make him the highest paid HC in the NFL.
FAs Rogers and Whitner were pretty good budget additions in 2011, and Boldin has been key. I don't mind so much the lack of big name FA signings a la Nate Clements. The press writes about Marathe like he's Little Finger, but if he is the man behind the scenes they've done a great job extending key players before they peak. Bowman and Brooks were both locked up way ahead of time. Hopefully the Ian Williams and Brock extensions garner similar results.

Honestly if they don't extend Harbaugh I'm not sure I can take Jed York seriously. I understand penny pinching for the salary cap but with a new stadium set to go you'd think they want to make a statement that the core of the team will be around for some time to come. That starts and ends with Harbaugh and IMO Kaepernick as well.

I think Brown and Whitner will test the FA market and at least one will be gone. I'm guessing they let Whitner walk and release Rogers so they can try to keep Brown. Harbaugh, Kaep, and Smith will all get extensions if the FO does its job. Crabtree I think they want to wait to see how he looks in training camp/early season. Curious to see if Lattimore can push Hunter and James this offseason. If not, you can pretty much write that pick off too because I think they're desperate for someone to step up there. Have not looked at the UFA list, but the niners really need speed on offense.

chinawildman said:
drummer said:

FAs Rogers and Whitner were pretty good budget additions in 2011, and Boldin has been key. I don't mind so much the lack of big name FA signings a la Nate Clements. The press writes about Marathe like he's Little Finger, but if he is the man behind the scenes they've done a great job extending key players before they peak. Bowman and Brooks were both locked up way ahead of time. Hopefully the Ian Williams and Brock extensions garner similar results.

Honestly if they don't extend Harbaugh I'm not sure I can take Jed York seriously. I understand penny pinching for the salary cap but with a new stadium set to go you'd think they want to make a statement that the core of the team will be around for some time to come. That starts and ends with Harbaugh and IMO Kaepernick as well.

I think Brown and Whitner will test the FA market and at least one will be gone. I'm guessing they let Whitner walk and release Rogers so they can try to keep Brown. Harbaugh, Kaep, and Smith will all get extensions if the FO does its job. Crabtree I think they want to wait to see how he looks in training camp/early season. Curious to see if Lattimore can push Hunter and James this offseason. If not, you can pretty much write that pick off too because I think they're desperate for someone to step up there. Have not looked at the UFA list, but the niners really need speed on offense.
I agree with pretty much all of this. I figured they'd let Whitner/Rogers go as well, and focus on Brown. Brown/Brock/Culliver would be a nice trio.

Isn't Brown almost 30? That deal needs to be short term if it happens.

I like Cox too. He should be cheap, which is important.

LOL at the bolded. Marathe is a stat geek with an MBA who had very little experience in the NFL but had more power than he should back when John York ran the team into the ground. York's front office at the time was full of guys with MBA's as well with very little NFL experience. However, they did eventually turn the team around fiscally due to severe budget cuts, left over from the mess of Eddie DeBartolo and Greasy Carmen Policy. Marathe was behind the coaching search that brought Mike Nolan. The other candidate back then was Jim Schwartz. Schwartz used to geek out with Aaron Schatz at Football Outsiders, and I think had York not been knocked out by Nolan's interview, Schwartz would had gotten the HC gig.

The current 49er front office currently has their own stat geeks as well, and the Football Outsiders influence from what I gather is huge there. The funny thing is FO always ranks the offensive line low, and Bill Barnwell before he left for Grantland IIRC predicted losing seasons in 2011 and 2012.

Harbaugh is in the driver's seat when it comes to his extension. Although another exit in the playoffs might make Jed pull a Daddy on him like Daddy did with Mooch, lol. Harbaugh is lucky that nobody wants his assistants, especially Fangio. That's weird. The 49ers have had years throughout the decades of assistants being picked off the tree to go to other teams. Hell, SEA keeps picking off that tree. That IMO is one of the main reasons why the 49ers have been consistent in wins. Hell, Nolan went through a bunch of them, although three of his OC's are some of the best offensive minds in the NFL, in Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, and Mike Martz.

One thing that I will say about Baalke's drafts vs McCloughan's is that he has not had the luxury of picking inside the top 12. The 2011 draft was very successful and a lot of that has to do with Smith and Kaepernick in the first 2 rounds. If both of those picks were in the late 20s/early 30s it could've been an entirely different story. Not sure how much a hand Baalke played in the 2010 draft but it can be argued it was just as successful as 2011. Same idea though, tough to screw up 2 picks in the top half.

I think I've just been called a troll by a fellow 49er fan, lol.
You know your 49ers, but you seem to enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing. Which is fine and all, except for when you get baited in this thread, which the rest of us would rather keep reserved for, you know, 49er stuff.

You know your 49ers, but you seem to enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing. Which is fine and all, except for when you get baited in this thread, which the rest of us would rather keep reserved for, you know, 49er stuff.
Everybody trolls, get's baited, argues, etc. I just have fun with this. If a 49er fan calls me a troll or has me on ignore, so be it, that's their gig. If they have a problem, that's their problem. All I try to do is post some stuff for others to think over. I think I've posted a lot of stuff that's relevant to this thread than the other stuff other complain about. Whether you dig it or don't, that's up to you. I've been called a troll by 49er fans and blog writers many times, because most of the time, I call it right.

I posted a few years ago on a well known fan blog how Kaep in year four or five in the NFL would start to look like an NFL QB as far as having the complete fundamental skills to play under center after seeing clips of him in Nevada. I though he was stiff and raw, and more of a project QB. This was right after the draft. The guy who runs the site thought I was being harsh and over critical. He didn't call me a troll, but others did.

So far, I called that one too.

I think Q Patton is being underrated right now... it was an interrupted rookie season. With a full offseason to work and develop, I think he'll be a fantastic player opposite Crabtree.

Everybody trolls, get's baited, argues, etc. I just have fun with this. If a 49er fan calls me a troll or has me on ignore, so be it, that's their gig. If they have a problem, that's their problem. All I try to do is post some stuff for others to think over. I think I've posted a lot of stuff that's relevant to this thread than the other stuff other complain about. Whether you dig it or don't, that's up to you. I've been called a troll by 49er fans and blog writers many times, because most of the time, I call it right.

I posted a few years ago on a well known fan blog how Kaep in year four or five in the NFL would start to look like an NFL QB as far as having the complete fundamental skills to play under center after seeing clips of him in Nevada. I though he was stiff and raw, and more of a project QB. This was right after the draft. The guy who runs the site thought I was being harsh and over critical. He didn't call me a troll, but others did.

Take this as feedback from some anonymous person on the internet... meaning it's not worth much.

I don't think the 49er fans disagree with your comments on the team, insights etc. I've defended you in the past that you know your stuff. Debating your point isn't trolling; it's the "are you crying now?" type posts which typically degrade the pool.

But you're right, that's my problem and not yours... I can choose to ignore it or not. Cheers. (And please keep adding the football related stuff, I do benefit from it.)

Took a look at some free agent lists and a few names stood out to me. Aqib Talib, Walter Thurmond, Ted Ginn, Jacoby Jones.

Talib has looked solid and the injury will only knock his price down from what should be a cheap starter's price already due to other issues. 6 years younger than Rogers, I think he could step in for him very easily. Thurmond will probably be looking for a starting role outside of Seattle, and if we don't bring back Brown then taking from your division rival will be double the fun. Ginn and Jones are similar players but both provide 2 elements that the 49ers lack right now - deep speed and game breaking return ability. I just don't see that from James, and you can't continue to rely on the tight end as your deep threat.

Jarius Byrd is an intriguing option as well, but I think he wants too much $$. James Jones could be interesting, but I worry about inflated values for WRs from teams with a great QB (see Meachem + San diego)

Curious if the niners work on locking up their long term guys first before hitting the UFA field. Let's not forget about the franchise tag, which would probably go to Whitner if used at all due to his leadership role on the team and low avg salary #.

Took a look at some free agent lists and a few names stood out to me. Aqib Talib, Walter Thurmond, Ted Ginn, Jacoby Jones.

Talib has looked solid and the injury will only knock his price down from what should be a cheap starter's price already due to other issues. 6 years younger than Rogers, I think he could step in for him very easily. Thurmond will probably be looking for a starting role outside of Seattle, and if we don't bring back Brown then taking from your division rival will be double the fun. Ginn and Jones are similar players but both provide 2 elements that the 49ers lack right now - deep speed and game breaking return ability. I just don't see that from James, and you can't continue to rely on the tight end as your deep threat.

Jarius Byrd is an intriguing option as well, but I think he wants too much $$. James Jones could be interesting, but I worry about inflated values for WRs from teams with a great QB (see Meachem + San diego)

Curious if the niners work on locking up their long term guys first before hitting the UFA field. Let's not forget about the franchise tag, which would probably go to Whitner if used at all due to his leadership role on the team and low avg salary #.
Talib will be very expensive, I think. The franchise tag for safeties is going to be around $8m, which is more than double the price I'd be willing to bring Whitner back at.

Jacoby and James Jones would be very good fits, but I agree they may be pricey.

I'm really curious to see how they attack this draft. They have way too many picks relative to available roster spots, so they will either need to trade up or keep stockpiling future assets. They may need a starting CB, SS, and WR depending on how FA plays out.

BaBastage said:
drummer said:
BaBastage said:
drummer said:

Take this as feedback from some anonymous person on the internet... meaning it's not worth much.

I don't think the 49er fans disagree with your comments on the team, insights etc. I've defended you in the past that you know your stuff. Debating your point isn't trolling; it's the "are you crying now?" type posts which typically degrade the pool.

But you're right, that's my problem and not yours... I can choose to ignore it or not. Cheers. (And please keep adding the football related stuff, I do benefit from it.)
I respond in kind to the words, not the poster. I don't know who most of the posters are personally, and those who reach out personally via PM might see things differently to the words I post in a thread. I just look at some of this as business. If it's a "troll thread", it's a troll thread. Everybody trolls IMO at one time or another. It's a message board. I've never been on or read one that hasn't had any trolling or pointed posts.

The only sports forums that I see don't have any stupid stuff being posted are the hardcore stat ones. There is a reason why though. It's geek stuff, but interesting to me at least.

chinawildman said:

I think they should just continue to build through the draft, although Baalke's last two hasn't produced much this season, due to injury or just missing on picks. I think the key position of need for a long term starter is at Center. Skill guys you can get through the draft or through UDFAs. I think drafting a stud DB is a must too. I think they have enough depth on the o-line outside of the C postion, and they are chock full of LBs. Maybe a future NT, along with an RB, a couple of WR's, C, and such is what they should look for in the next draft.

The latest Crabs thread here got me thinking about the upcoming draft, and if and where they draft at WR. I hate to keep harping on Baalke on this, but I starting thinking about Alshon Jeffery at pick 30 in the 2012 draft instead of AJ Jenkins. I peeked around at the size of the WR corp (Jenkins is only 6' I believe) over a few years, and Davis is still the biggest and tallest (Moss just as tall but not as physical) receiver they have that's a proven playmaker (I'm not gonna count the FB, or even McDonald who is more a pass blocking TE). All the other FA WR's and draft picks are all around 6', some just a hair less than 6'. Crabtree on the other hand is around 6'2", but here is the kicker: Baalke didn't draft Crabs, Crabs fell on ScotM's lap at that pick (because the Raiders picked DHB).

Just looking at it on paper, it seems Baalke either has a preference for smaller WRs (again, Jenkins over Jeffery?) for reasons that escape me at the moment. Someone here has to talk me off the cliff on that one.

That thread also repeats my ongoing and boring thoughts an why I think Crabs is a #2 WR instead of a #1. I need to look back in this thread, but I think Wingnut argued Crabs and posted his yardage and such in 2012. Well, I poked at Boldin's numbers and didn't realize how close those respective players are in stats:

Crabs in 2012: 85 for 1105 yards, 9 TDs, 13.0 Y/R

Boldin in 2013: 85 for 1179, 7 TDs, 13.9 Y/R.

Boldin's are of course due to the lack of Crabtree most of the season. But then again, Boldin wasn't with Crabs during the 2012 season either. He was on a Championship run in BAL.

They gave up on Jenkins so fast that it almost was a non-event. It was more "just sweep this one under the rug" when they traded him to KC. What's making me think is: what if they had drafted Jeffery instead? What kind of numbers would he have? If he in SF posted half the numbers he did in CHI this season, how would that affect Crabs' contract?

I'm also thinking of of a target THAT BIG to try to catch Kaep's fireballs that are a bit inaccurate most if not all the time. Crabs has a great vertical and can snatch a ball out the air. But Jeffery is taller and maybe stronger, can also get vertical from what I remember watching him this season, and presents more of a physical match up. I haven't watched enough Jeffrey to know how he is as a route runner, and Crabs is great at that, maybe very underrated at this point outside of 49er fan's opinions from what I know.

A poster in that Crabs thread thinks I must had misrepresented the 49ers, Crabs, or whatever by saying that the 49ers are still looking for a #1 WR. Well, they've had a carousel of WR's since 2011 and before. People say "He had Alex Smith throwing to him so forget those seasons". Of course, everybody here has heard that too many times from me, so I agree.

Yet...

You have a Terrell Owens, and somebody makes an argument, pro Tim Rattay!!

Trying to figure out how Calvin Johnson came into the conversation...

Makes me think of Calvin Johnson with a very very raw QB in Kaep...

With a team knocking on the door of a Super Bowl Championship. Hell, not even knocking, just yelling at the top of their lungs "LET ME IN #####!" but just a few plays away....

With Alex Smith and then Kaep...

My mantra all the way back to the Donahue days was: Give me a real QB and a #1 WR. I dunno if I still have either one of those.

So does anybody think that Baalke ####'s off the pot with a #1 WR this off-season? Crabs and Boldin again weren't that far apart as primary weapons in respective years, and Davis lined up at WR this season too!

Speed kills, but size matters too. It's worse when they both don't kill or matter in a WR. See: Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins, go look up the WR corp since 2010...

/rant

My mantra all the way back to the Donahue days was: Give me a real QB and a #1 WR. I dunno if I still have either one of those.

So does anybody think that Baalke ####'s off the pot with a #1 WR this off-season? Crabs and Boldin again weren't that far apart as primary weapons in respective years, and Davis lined up at WR this season too!

Speed kills, but size matters too. It's worse when they both don't kill or matter in a WR. See: Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins, go look up the WR corp since 2010...

/rant
Possibly, though I'm not sure if it will do much good. I'd much rather see them trade their 2 2nd rounders for Josh Gordon though due to Baalke's so far lackluster drafting resume at RB and WR. I'm with you in that I want to see some physical specimens at WR and RB. Benjamin is a good target in the late first, though it's hard to say at this point so far ahead of the combine where players will go.

/rant
Possibly, though I'm not sure if it will do much good. I'd much rather see them trade their 2 2nd rounders for Josh Gordon though due to Baalke's so far lackluster drafting resume at RB and WR. I'm with you in that I want to see some physical specimens at WR and RB. Benjamin is a good target in the late first, though it's hard to say at this point so far ahead of the combine where players will go.
It'd be great to see them use some draft capital to go out and trade up to get a true #1 guy, but like drummer noted this front office seems to have no idea how to draft WR. (I think we missed our Gordon window - if CLE is still looking to deal him he must have huge personal red flags). As I think I posted earlier, it's possible they need 3 new starters (WR CB and S) this offseason and thus they might not be able to burn their premium draft assets at just one of those positions.

I have been a 49er fan through the very high ups and the very low downs. I felt very good about the 2013 team and I feel even better about the 2014 offense and here is why:

Kaepernick has room to improve. He needs to work on his reads, too many times in 2013 you see him check his #1 look and get flustered when that target is covered. He will improve on his reads this offseason. He should also stop being “held back” from running if he sees a lane in front of him. Many times during the regular season you would see him with an easy path for a 7-15 yard run in front of him but he elects to pass instead (many times falling incomplete). Kaepernick will improve in 2014 and get closer to what all the ‘experts” expected from him last year.

Marcus Lattimore is going to play and play well. He is the perfect Frank Gore replacement as long as he stays healthy. Much like Frank Gore was a steal in the draft, Lattimore will pay dividends in 2014. I am not sure what will happen with Gore in 2014 but I see it being either a split or even Lattimore could start taking more carries.

Quinton Patton will have an impact in 2014. I hope they resign Boldin as he brings great leadership to that offense but Patton will either make a solid #2 or a great #3 WR in 2014. His season was cut short due to injury in 2013 but he is fast, has great hands and runs good routes. They may draft a WR if one falls to them and that would be fine. They certainly could use a big WR, but Crabtree, Boldin, Patton and Vernon Davis should be able to produce just fine.

***Another thing to consider is that if Jacksonville is looking to move on from Blackmon after he is reinstated he could be a STEAL of a pickup for the niners. I would expect other teams like Seattle to also make a move on him but if the niners land him on the cheap it could be huge. This, along with resigning Boldin would push Patton to WR #4 but I would be very happy about that *assuming Blackmon keeps it clean*

Crabtree has a chip on his shoulder for 2014. A full year of Crabtree/Kaepernick should produce a career year for both. I expect Crabtree to step up significantly in both Seattle games (which will most likely be prime time events). Kaepernick will look to Crabtree often in 2014 and this combo along with Kaepernick/Davis will make everyone look good.

My 2 cents

I have been a 49er fan through the very high ups and the very low downs. I felt very good about the 2013 team and I feel even better about the 2014 offense and here is why:

Kaepernick has room to improve. He needs to work on his reads, too many times in 2013 you see him check his #1 look and get flustered when that target is covered. He will improve on his reads this offseason. He should also stop being “held back” from running if he sees a lane in front of him. Many times during the regular season you would see him with an easy path for a 7-15 yard run in front of him but he elects to pass instead (many times falling incomplete). Kaepernick will improve in 2014 and get closer to what all the ‘experts” expected from him last year.

Marcus Lattimore is going to play and play well. He is the perfect Frank Gore replacement as long as he stays healthy. Much like Frank Gore was a steal in the draft, Lattimore will pay dividends in 2014. I am not sure what will happen with Gore in 2014 but I see it being either a split or even Lattimore could start taking more carries.

Quinton Patton will have an impact in 2014. I hope they resign Boldin as he brings great leadership to that offense but Patton will either make a solid #2 or a great #3 WR in 2014. His season was cut short due to injury in 2013 but he is fast, has great hands and runs good routes. They may draft a WR if one falls to them and that would be fine. They certainly could use a big WR, but Crabtree, Boldin, Patton and Vernon Davis should be able to produce just fine.

***Another thing to consider is that if Jacksonville is looking to move on from Blackmon after he is reinstated he could be a STEAL of a pickup for the niners. I would expect other teams like Seattle to also make a move on him but if the niners land him on the cheap it could be huge. This, along with resigning Boldin would push Patton to WR #4 but I would be very happy about that *assuming Blackmon keeps it clean*

Crabtree has a chip on his shoulder for 2014. A full year of Crabtree/Kaepernick should produce a career year for both. I expect Crabtree to step up significantly in both Seattle games (which will most likely be prime time events). Kaepernick will look to Crabtree often in 2014 and this combo along with Kaepernick/Davis will make everyone look good.

My 2 cents
Good point about Blackmon, I hadn't thought about him as an option. I like Patton but the niners really need a guy aside from Davis who can take the top off of a defense. Their style of run game + play action passing is much more effective when there are some home run hitters (see saints offense)

/rant
It'd be great to see them use some draft capital to go out and trade up to get a true #1 guy, but like drummer noted this front office seems to have no idea how to draft WR. (I think we missed our Gordon window - if CLE is still looking to deal him he must have huge personal red flags). As I think I posted earlier, it's possible they need 3 new starters (WR CB and S) this offseason and thus they might not be able to burn their premium draft assets at just one of those positions.
The Jenkins pick just really bothers me right now. We all called that one a reach, yet who knows? Jenkins might do OK in KC. Wasting a first round draft pick on a reach on a team loaded with 6' WR's is just a weird pattern (Patton in only 6' as well!). Jeffrey was picked in the second round. Brain Quick was drafted ahead of him. It's like the 49ers are trying to field a squad of Wes Welker's. If only they could play like Welker, and that includes Crabs.

Of course a QB like Manning or Brady could maybe get some serious numbers with this, with Davis, Boldin, Crabs, whoever, even Jenkins (no, I don't think I want to see him on the field, because the offense would be too much for him). Those guys can place a ball anywhere though.

And then there is Kaep...

Now this thread was started during his first start on Prime Time TV against CHI. I posted in that game thread "Alex Smith who?". Dr. Milk Carton agreed, and then started this thread. Needless to say, you don't wanna relive the start of this thread. It's chock full of nonsense outside of the topic. I admit I was a big part of that. Sorry. Obviously, I'm on board big time with Kaep. I think he has a ton of upside, maybe not elite, but with the potential to knock on that door. But to get there, he has to make throws. Not just THAT HUGE THROW OMG THAT ARM! throws. I'm talking timing, small window, dictate a defense, know your options on pre-snap and match ups, be smart type of QB.

Kaep isn't that QB of the last sentence above. He's a 6' 5" athlete with a rocket arm and brute strength. We know he can run. We know he can chuck the rock. We know that he can make a great play with his arm. And we know not all of that matters if he can't make ALL the WRs better.

So you have that 6' 5" QB try throwing to WR's that are small, slow targets to begin with who either:

Are hurt.

Are mediocre.

Guys who you can't field.

Etc.

I think the 49ers need to figure out this off season, draft and FA: they need targets as big and as athletic as Kaep. The only one he has to match that: Vernon Davis. Boldin is a savvy tough vet who caught balls from Kurt Warner. Crab's is shifty, route smart, and can catch the ball in a tight space, given the throw. Davis played a lot of WR this season. Now think of a guy like Boldin on one side, Crabs and Jeffrey with Davis at his TE position. Kaep kills the play at the line, checks into one of "whoever designed this week's offense" second read of the defense, and you still have two big guys to find, which is easier predicated on the match up.

Oh! Maybe a big WR can learn to block too! We have big TE's who do that! Everybody has to learn how to block! We have a huge offensive line, but are small at WR, and RB too!

If Baalke can't figure out speed and skill on offense, then draft offense like you do defense. Big and physical. Marathe and Baalke are too busy geeking out NE's model on offense the past few seasons. "Go out and get big TE's. We want more big TE's.

Hey, there is Randy Moss! There is Boldin! There is Mannigham! There is Kyle Williams!

The only physical WR here is Boldin.

/rant

With all the junior WRs coming out and a deep WR class and a bounty of picks, I would be disappointed if I didn't see them maneuver to get the guy they want in the first round (similar to what they did to get reid). It's likely because Baalke probably wants to get that Jenkins taste out of his mouth asap.

I started to like Kapernick after the NFC Championship but I think I am back to loathing him again. Don't you 49ers fans wish he would just take the high road and be quiet?

I started to like Kapernick after the NFC Championship but I think I am back to loathing him again. Don't you 49ers fans wish he would just take the high road and be quiet?
You mean like when he told Wilson to "go out and get a ring" after the NFFC game? That's a lot more respectful than what Sherman did.

You mean like when he told Wilson to "go out and get a ring" after the NFFC game? That's a lot more respectful than what Sherman did.
And that is exactly why I started to like him....that and some of his amazing plays in the championship game. But since then his tune has changed. Have you heard the stuff he has been saying as of late? It is pretty sad. I wanted to like him but he makes it hard.

And that is exactly why I started to like him....that and some of his amazing plays in the championship game. But since then his tune has changed. Have you heard the stuff he has been saying as of late? It is pretty sad. I wanted to like him but he makes it hard.
I do admit you're paying more attention to it than I am.

Users who are viewing this thread