What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Salary Cap / Contract Leagues (1 Viewer)

Donsmith753

Footballguy
Hey all,I'm looking at diving into the world of salary cap and contract leagues and i'm just looking for some guidance.Ill be running the league on MFL as I like their software. Rosters will be 26 or 28 but what I'm unsure of is things like:How many contract years should each team have?What % should salaries increase each year?What to do with rookie salaries?If anyone could post their league rules from Salary/Contract leagues that'd help give me some ideas.Thanks in advance.

Good move Don. I know you are active in dynasty leagues but was unaware that you weren't in any cap/contract leagues. You will definitely enjoy them as much/more than a standard league. I will keep my answers vague as I don't think: 1. there is a right/wrong answer and 2. more than likely, you will get more advice than you know what to do with.On salary cap and/or contract years: whatever you set up will be fine (within common sense reason) - owners adapt whether you set these high or low. Pick an average salary of $10-20/player and you can work around that generally. % of salary increase will depend on your goals. Do you want to force player turnover (not owner)? If so, increase salaries 5-10% but don't increase the cap. If you play around with the numbers, you will get an idea.You should consider if you want to do an auction or draft. If you draft, you will need to set pre-determined values, that is tricky. Auction and salary cap is the best - then it's completely on the owner. I don't have copies of rules for the various salary/contract leagues I play in on the computer but if you need to see some down the road, let me know. I think you will get links to several here though

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,I'm looking at diving into the world of salary cap and contract leagues and i'm just looking for some guidance.Ill be running the league on MFL as I like their software. Rosters will be 26 or 28 but what I'm unsure of is things like:How many contract years should each team have?What % should salaries increase each year?What to do with rookie salaries?If anyone could post their league rules from Salary/Contract leagues that'd help give me some ideas.Thanks in advance.
My dynasty does it like this:10 team, IDP, 40 man rosters, 13 spot DTS100 total contract years. Players on DTS do not count against contract cap. You can only place a player on your DTS while they are a rookie, and they can stay there a max of 3 years, then you either have to assign contract or cut them. Of course you can promote from DTS to active roster at any point if you have space/contract years available.Salaries do not increase. We did an initial auction, as well as a RFA auction every year for players that contracts have expired. In August you can assign any number of years you'd like to your players that do not have contracts already. IE, Foster was initially given 3 years, is a RFA. In April he will go up for Auction, and whoever wins him can then assign as many as they'd like. With a max of 100, and 40 players I think it's the right mix. I have Trich for 7 years, so I have 93 years remaining for my other 39 players. Usually offensive talent gets locked for a long time and lots of turn over on the IDP end. (RG3 has 12 years, Wilson 11, Blackmon 9, Trich/Martin 7)It works for us.

'Spin said:
'Donsmith753 said:
Hey all,

I'm looking at diving into the world of salary cap and contract leagues and i'm just looking for some guidance.

Ill be running the league on MFL as I like their software. Rosters will be 26 or 28 but what I'm unsure of is things like:

How many contract years should each team have?

What % should salaries increase each year?

What to do with rookie salaries?

If anyone could post their league rules from Salary/Contract leagues that'd help give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance.
My dynasty does it like this:10 team, IDP, 40 man rosters, 13 spot DTS

100 total contract years.

Players on DTS do not count against contract cap. You can only place a player on your DTS while they are a rookie, and they can stay there a max of 3 years, then you either have to assign contract or cut them. Of course you can promote from DTS to active roster at any point if you have space/contract years available.

Salaries do not increase. We did an initial auction, as well as a RFA auction every year for players that contracts have expired. In August you can assign any number of years you'd like to your players that do not have contracts already. IE, Foster was initially given 3 years, is a RFA. In April he will go up for Auction, and whoever wins him can then assign as many as they'd like. With a max of 100, and 40 players I think it's the right mix. I have Trich for 7 years, so I have 93 years remaining for my other 39 players. Usually offensive talent gets locked for a long time and lots of turn over on the IDP end. (RG3 has 12 years, Wilson 11, Blackmon 9, Trich/Martin 7)

It works for us.
Really no need to increase salaries if you have contract lengths imo. The turnover will happen due to expiring contracts. Highly recommend a FA auction and a separate rookie draft with pre-set $ amounts by draft slot.

Ours is complicated. Our rookie scale is somewhat modest, we have extension options at the end of a limited # of terms (annually), and also a free agent auction for everyone that makes it there - owners have the option of slotting however much $/year and length of contract (up to a limit) as bidding is made on whole #'s only. There are early term penalties too. In-season we have weekly blind bid waivers based on salary cap available, so not every team goes into the season with a similr FAAB.Lots of fun, my favorite league. It benefits good drafters most as they carry the cost effective players and can re-sign their own at relative discounts allowing to take more gambles in free agency in both the offseason auction and in-season waivers.

Is there a given formula for how many contract years per roster spot? I realise its not an exact science but I'm thinking 3 might be a good spot.

Users who are viewing this thread