What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Matthews injury - high ankle sprain (1 Viewer)

Unwrittenlaw

Footballguy
Ryan Mathews revealed Wednesday that he has a high ankle sprain.It's usually a 4-6 week injury. Mathews is holding out "hope" that he'll be able to play in Week 3, saying he feels "good." The No. 12 overall pick did not practice on Wednesday, however, and his status now appears shaky at best. Mike Tolbert's chances of starting at Seattle are increasing. Darren Sproles would also be in line for an increased role, qualifying as a flex option in PPR leagues. We wouldn't bet on Mathews playing, let alone playing extensively.

Chargers' Mathews: I have high ankle sprain

Ryan Mathews revealed Wednesday that he has a high ankle sprain.

It's usually a 4-6 week injury. Mathews is holding out "hope" that he'll be able to play in Week 3, saying he feels "good." The No. 12 overall pick did not practice on Wednesday, however, and his status now appears shaky at best. Mike Tolbert's chances of starting at Seattle are increasing. Darren Sproles would also be in line for an increased role, qualifying as a flex option in PPR leagues. We wouldn't bet on Mathews playing, let alone playing extensively. Sep. 22 - 7:22 pm et

Per Rotoworld

It's usually a 4-6 week injury. Mathews is holding out "hope" that he'll be able to play in Week 3, saying he feels "good." The No. 12 overall pick did not practice on Wednesday, however, and his status now appears shaky at best. Mike Tolbert's chances of starting at Seattle are increasing. Darren Sproles would also be in line for an increased role, qualifying as a flex option in PPR leagues. We wouldn't bet on Mathews playing, let alone playing extensively.
why ?

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...50&start=50

Ryan Mathews revealed Wednesday that he has a high ankle sprain.It's usually a 4-6 week injury. Mathews is holding out "hope" that he'll be able to play in Week 3, saying he feels "good." The No. 12 overall pick did not practice on Wednesday, however, and his status now appears shaky at best. Mike Tolbert's chances of starting at Seattle are increasing. Darren Sproles would also be in line for an increased role, qualifying as a flex option in PPR leagues. We wouldn't bet on Mathews playing, let alone playing extensively.
Thanks for the info. Just picked up Tolbert from waivers. Now I eagerly await Matthew's miraculous high ankle sprain full recovery. :shock:

It's usually a 4-6 week injury. Mathews is holding out "hope" that he'll be able to play in Week 3, saying he feels "good." The No. 12 overall pick did not practice on Wednesday, however, and his status now appears shaky at best. Mike Tolbert's chances of starting at Seattle are increasing. Darren Sproles would also be in line for an increased role, qualifying as a flex option in PPR leagues. We wouldn't bet on Mathews playing, let alone playing extensively.
why ?

Is there different degrees of high ankle sprains (minor, moderate, severe)? While I was at the SD game this weekend he came jogging out of the tunnel after being carted off. On the sidelines I saw him hopping up and down so I wasn't overly concerned about the injury but then comes this news. I know HAS are not good news and tend to take a while to fully heal, that's why I ask the question about different degrees of HAS. Or is a high ankle sprain a high ankle sprain??

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont rememeber which back i had like 2 years ago but he was out for more then 4 weeks with the high ankle sprain and was not quite right the rest of the season. ( he also said he was playing the first week after the injury - some one must rememeber the back) Tolbert who is the goal line back to begin with might be a huge pickup this year.

why ?

Is there different degrees of high ankle sprains (minor, moderate, severe)? While I was at the SD game this weekend he came jogging out of the tunnel after being carted off. On the sidelines I saw him hopping up and down so I wasn't overly concerned about the injury but then comes this news. I know HAS are not good news and tend to take a while to fully heal, that's why I ask the question about different degrees of HAS. Or is a high ankle sprain a high ankle sprain??
I believe there are three grades by level of severity. It sounds like this is the least severe kind, but if it is a HAS, I'd be very surprised if he came back this week, even if of the least severe degree.

my guess is its fairly mild or he has a decent threshold of pain. he plays on it this week or next, does extensive damage and misses 6 to full season, and if/when he comes back hes not very good.

Dont rememeber which back i had like 2 years ago but he was out for more then 4 weeks with the high ankle sprain and was not quite right the rest of the season. ( he also said he was playing the first week after the injury - some one must rememeber the back) Tolbert who is the goal line back to begin with might be a huge pickup this year.
Turner?

"...Last season, Jason Snelling filled in admirably for Michael Turner after the star running back suffered a high ankle sprain against the Panthers. Turner went on to basically miss the rest of the season, and Snelling was a decent-flex play option for most weeks." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/468415-...antasy-football

Unless the organization is blowing smoke, I expect to be without Ryan for a minimum of 4 weeks if in fact it is a high ankle sprain! Just uped the ante in my bid for Tolbert!

:banned:

I think it was someone else but this is a perfect example. these ankle sprains no matter how severe like turf toe haunt running backs all year. i mean they put all kind of stress on the ankle then they run. Tolbert could be this years snelling.

These backs always say there playing. Beanie Wells and M Bush have been saying they are playing since week 1 and they havent seen the field yet.

Turner?

"...Last season, Jason Snelling filled in admirably for Michael Turner after the star running back suffered a high ankle sprain against the Panthers. Turner went on to basically miss the rest of the season, and Snelling was a decent-flex play option for most weeks." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/468415-...antasy-football

Unless the organization is blowing smoke, I expect to be without Ryan for a minimum of 4 weeks if in fact it is a high ankle sprain! Just uped the ante in my bid for Tolbert! :shrug:
four weeks seems about right. Tolbert will be the hot pick up this week
But what about Seattle's run defense at home? Is that too much to ask of Tolbert? SEA can be pretty tough at home. In week 1 Gore barely averaged more than 2 YPC against them and didn't score. Even on the road at DEN in week 2, Moreno also averaged only 2 YPC even though both he and Buckhalter got GL TDs.

I think it was someone else but this is a perfect example. these ankle sprains no matter how severe like turf toe haunt running backs all year. i mean they put all kind of stress on the ankle then they run. Tolbert could be this years snelling.

These backs always say there playing. Beanie Wells and M Bush have been saying they are playing since week 1 and they havent seen the field yet.

Turner?

yeah, and this is just from vague memory, so maybe somebody could correct me if I've gotten it wrong, but didn't turner try to get back on the field a little early only to exacerbate the injury and knock himself out longer?

Everyone is running after Tolbert ... but could Sproles be the play here?
1) Sproles is already rostered2) Tolbert got the bulk of the carries last week after Matthews was out - and looked great doing it3) If the Chargers thought Sproles as an everydown back they probably wouldn't have spent the #12 pick on a RB

Wow..first time I heard a player admit that he had the dreaded HAS.

All of my leagues are Wed night waiver. I just scooped Tolbert in two leagues. :shrug:

Turner?

It was LT2! Oakland rolled his leg in game one and the idiot coach let him try to play on it. Requires a least 6 months to get mostly back, full year to 100%. LT2 was never the same after his in the first game last year. Hope you all realized that was the problem and not old age!!! If Mathews plays he could be a steal next year like LT2 was this year. Several years ago it was Curtis Martin. He sucked all year too.

Sproles it the 3rd down back. May get most of the carries if they get way behind in a game though.

Sproles it the 3rd down back. May get most of the carries if they get way behind in a game though.
In leagues that reward returns, he is now very valuable given even a slight increase in carries and receptions to what he was already getting.

Tolbert is built like a friggin brick ####house... 5'9" 240lbs.
Man I would hate to have a 5'9" ####house. I'd be hitting my head all the time, especially if I had to go at night. I'd build mine a little taller.But given that build, could he grab at least GL work going forward if he plays well? It seemed like he might be in line for a little of that, anyway.

Next 4 games-SeaAzOakSLA months worth of games that I don't see them falling behind in.
I think the Chargers will run into some trouble at Qwest this week. It IS still September after all and San Diego hasn't lost the obligatory 2 out of their first 3 games yet. I can see Seattle being stingy and BMW having a big game. So, for this week only, Sproles might turn out to be the better play.After that the sched is cake for Tolbert until Mathews comes back and I suspect that the Chargers will elect to err on the side of caution with their young rookie instead of rushing him back too soon.

This is what i'm hoping as well. I picked up Sproles because i think this kid is dynamite! At Kansas State i thought despite his size, he was going to be a stud in the NFL. I think he has the capability, but unfortunately i don't think the coaching staff will give him the opportunity. You're not going to pick this kid up off waivers, but I think there is a possibility that Sproles steals the job from Tolbert. 11 yards per touch and they don't use him enough, some NFL coaches are idiots:Sproles had five carries for 37 yards and four receptions for 63 yards in Week 2 against the Jaguars.Recommendation: Sproles made the most of his chances as he averaged over 11 yards per touch, but the bad news for Sproles' owners is that he was not the lead back after Ryan Mathews went down with an ankle injury. Mike Tolbert had the vast majority of the carries for the rest of the afternoon. It seems clear that the Bolts only want Sproles to play the role of change of pace back in the offense.(Rotowire.com)

Turner?

1) Sproles is already rostered2) Tolbert got the bulk of the carries last week after Matthews was out - and looked great doing it3) If the Chargers thought Sproles as an everydown back they probably wouldn't have spent the #12 pick on a RB
Only problem here is that this was an absolute blowout game. I don't see neither Sproles nor Tolbert as the "featured back" while Mathews is out. I'm sure LT owners remember how valuable sproles was when LT was out... (AND Tolbert was there the past 2 years as well!) I expect 8-12 carries from each of them with some receiving looks for sproles. As a Mathews owner, I will be starting sproles (who i used as his handcuff) in his absence. Tolbert might be nice to sit on if you can still get him. I just don't think it's a smart play to toss him in a starting fantasy position this week and expect anything close to what he did last week.For all I know SD could do a turnaround and pull a CLE and toss Tolbert into a Peyton Hillis like role.

Turner?
Gore rings a bell.As a Mathews owner, this sucks ####

Roto: "Ryan Mathews (high ankle sprain) seemed to acknowledge Wednesday that he's unlikely to play in Week 3.

Mathews called his injury "something that could be a week, if I don't treat it right could be six weeks." Added the rookie, "(Chargers doctors) are going to take precautionary measures to make sure my career isn’t going to be upset over an ankle." The best "precautionary measure" to take would be to hold Mathews out at Seattle. We tentatively expect Mike Tolbert to start."

I need some clarification here for those who saw the Chargers/Jaguars game. Did Mathews jog back to the sidelines as some have suggested? Because if he had, I would have to doubt the veracity of his statement of having a "high ankle sprain".

I've had a high ankle sprain before... And what I remember was not being able to put an ounce of pressure on the injured ankle. It just seems odd that Mathews suffered the same thing and yet jogged back to the sidelines and asked to be put into the game. On the same note, does anyone remember how Turner reacted last year with his ankle injury? Was he able to walk afterwards?

Maybe I'm a disillusioned Mathews owner...

I need some clarification here for those who saw the Chargers/Jaguars game. Did Mathews jog back to the sidelines as some have suggested? Because if he had, I would have to doubt the veracity of his statement of having a "high ankle sprain".I've had a high ankle sprain before... And what I remember was not being able to put an ounce of pressure on the injured ankle. It just seems odd that Mathews suffered the same thing and yet jogged back to the sidelines and asked to be put into the game. On the same note, does anyone remember how Turner reacted last year with his ankle injury? Was he able to walk afterwards?Maybe I'm a disillusioned Mathews owner...
Dunno if he jogged back onto the sideline... but if he said himself that he has a high ankle sprain... there's absolutely no reason to consider otherwise.

I don't know how to feel about this as I own him in a redraft and a dynasty, I think I'd rather he sit out and not make it worse though.

I need some clarification here for those who saw the Chargers/Jaguars game. Did Mathews jog back to the sidelines as some have suggested? Because if he had, I would have to doubt the veracity of his statement of having a "high ankle sprain".I've had a high ankle sprain before... And what I remember was not being able to put an ounce of pressure on the injured ankle. It just seems odd that Mathews suffered the same thing and yet jogged back to the sidelines and asked to be put into the game. On the same note, does anyone remember how Turner reacted last year with his ankle injury? Was he able to walk afterwards?Maybe I'm a disillusioned Mathews owner...
Dunno if he jogged back onto the sideline... but if he said himself that he has a high ankle sprain... there's absolutely no reason to consider otherwise.
Watching the game again, he comes jogging back onto the sideline to the cheers of the crowd looking ready to play (no limp or anything).

Next 4 games-SeaAzOakSLA months worth of games that I don't see them falling behind in.
I don't understand the logic here. :confused: If you're ahead, you pin your ears back and run the ball to burn clock. A battering ram like Tolbert who can run between the tackles and get positive yards is perfect for that strategy.

Watching the game again, he comes jogging back onto the sideline to the cheers of the crowd looking ready to play (no limp or anything).
Maybe the dude has a high threshold for pain. Or maybe the adrenaline was flowing. Or maybe he had an injury already and they shot the ankle up beforehand. But I agree, why would he lie about his own injury?

Chargers RB Mathews likely out against Seattle

By Mark J. Miller

Just a few short months ago, when running back Ryan Mathews(notes) was still a student at Fresno State, it isn't likely that he spent much time dreaming about sitting on the sidelines once he got drafted. But that's exactly what the San Diego Chargers first-round pick is about to do.

He didn't practice yesterday and then said that he has a high ankle strain, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports. Mathews has 101 yards rushing in the first two games of this season and he's hoping to take the field against the Seattle Seahawks this weekend, the paper reports.

That would be surprising since this kind of thing usually takes a month or more to heal.

Users who are viewing this thread