What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RUMOR ONLY AT THIS POINT -- Joe Jurevicius to retire? (1 Viewer)

A poster on the browns scout board is saying he has a scoop that Joe J's knee surgery did not go well (bone on bone) and this may be the end of his career. Other posters there are claiming that this guy is generally good with his info.

Read thread here:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=2637593

JJ has been a pretty stand-up guy from what I know about him....this is too bad.
I believe it sounds like things havent been going well and this was gonna be his last season anyway

Boy it hasn't worked well for the local boys that came back to Cleveland: Bob Hallen quit, LeCharles Bentley asked for his release and Jurevicius may retire.

Boy it hasn't worked well for the local boys that came back to Cleveland: Bob Hallen quit, LeCharles Bentley asked for his release and Jurevicius may retire.
the bigger problem is the number of staph infections the Brown players have suffered....

That's an interesting trend, maybe Brady Quinn should be put in a plastic bubble just to be safe.It'd be a shame about Jurevicius, one of the classiest guys in the NFL. I imagine Cribbs would be the guy to nab the 3rd WR job.

So who is #3 (assuming Stallworth is #2), Josh Cribbs or Travis Wilson?
Cribbs was going to see an increased role anyway, but this definitely opens up some PT for someone on 3rd downs. Seeing as how Travis Wilson is, well, horrible, I think this opens the door for the rookie Martin Rucker to make a push for the role. Something to follow in camp, the guy's going to be a matchup nightmare it's just a question of can he make the transition to the NFL quickly enough,

Cribbs was going to see an increased role anyway, but this definitely opens up some PT for someone on 3rd downs. Seeing as how Travis Wilson is, well, horrible, I think this opens the door for the rookie Martin Rucker to make a push for the role. Something to follow in camp, the guy's going to be a matchup nightmare it's just a question of can he make the transition to the NFL quickly enough,
ruckers a teu mean hubbard?

My guess is that Mac believes Rucker can/will line up in the slot....

he's reading into this

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/22782029.html

Googling you'll find an article on Joe (a few months back)determinned to play in 2008 after the knee and staph, and the big improvement of the Browns, he wants one more year in 2008. I'd be surprised if he lost that "drive".

Last edited by a moderator:
Although he said last year that 2008 might be his last season, Jurevicius never considered retiring as a result of the recent knee complications.

"I would not miss this season for the world," Jurevicius said. "I don't care what happens. It was a little obstacle to overcome. I think the city should be excited about what we have in front of us and where we can go."

He also is not discounting putting off retirement if he thinks it may take the Browns one more season to get to the Promised Land.

"The biggest thing is I want to be part of something exciting here," he said. "Physically, if the wear and tear of an NFL season really takes its toll on me, then I'll have to sit down and make a decision. If I feel good, then I'll make a decision on that route."

The original injury to Jurevicius' right knee occurred in a collision with Tampa Bay Buccaneers teammate Mike Alstott in a game in 2003.

"I think anytime you run into the A-train, it's not a good thing," Jurevicius said. "It was a pretty gruesome injury. I was blocking for him. Somebody tripped him up, and he kind of flew into my knee from the blind side. He jammed his neck, and I blew up my knee. It's why Mike Alstott retired, basically."
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindeale....xml&coll=2

This will play itself out soon enough. Certainly Jurevicius' role was going to be diminished this year with the Stallworth signing anyway. As a fan of the sport, I wish every football player could go out on his own terms; unfortunately the violence of the game makes that an impossibility.

Akkum said:
Frenchy Fuqua said:
the bigger problem is the number of staph infections the Brown players have suffered....
Staph is no joke... my wife had a terrible case of MRSA when she had her C-Section. She almost died shortly after; she had to have 5 or so surgeries after. Its is real a horrible thing.

crystal said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
I'm guessing Eric Parker.
This was my thought too....it would explain Cleveland's interest in him a month ago. I thought it was odd at the time, but perhaps they knew the severity of Joe's knee then and began sniffing around SD asking about Parker. It wouldn't surprise me as Chud is already familiar with him after his days in SD.

identikit said:
Fiddles said:
MAC_32 said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
My guess is that Mac believes Rucker can/will line up in the slot....
You are correct, I would be very surprised if Hubbard is on the active roster this season - I think it'd be a mistake if he is as he has a lot to learn before he sees any time on the field. Rucker's an oversized WR playing TE, if he's able to catch up to the speed of the game quickly I think he could contribute right away.

I thought Joey retired three years ago.

I keed, I keed. He seems like a decent enough guy in interviews, but he really hasn't been much of a fantasy factor for quite a while. Useful NFL player when healthy, but not irreplaceable.

I do think Cleveland is the most likely place for Eric Parker to end up. He'd be very good in the slot role, and could end up being more effective from there than Stallworth is outside (like Wes Welker was last year).

The Chargers are trying to trade him for a second-day pick, but teams are reluctant to pick him up at his current salary ($1.85M this season, $2.25M next season). So they may wait for him to be released and then sign him as a free agent. I suspect it will be the Browns or the Ravens. Probably the Browns.

Akkum said:
Frenchy Fuqua said:
Staph is no joke... my wife had a terrible case of MRSA when she had her C-Section. She almost died shortly after; she had to have 5 or so surgeries after. Its is real a horrible thing.
wow, sorry to hear that.

Users who are viewing this thread