What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

rules about helmets popping off (1 Viewer)

i don't have a dog in this fight, don't have lacy/Blanton/Vikings D in fantasy or even fanduel leagues this week. Why wasn't the play ruled dead when he hits Vikings Defendor Blanton at the 2 and Blanton's helmet goes flying. I know if it was Lacy it would have immediately been ruled dead, was it a oversight or do those rules only apply to offensive players? i know the nfl doesn't give a #### about defensive players but........

Separate note, if a defender lead with his head on Lacy as much as Lacy(Like AP) leads with his wouldn't there be flags?

Its a quazi similar vain to the penalties thrown for hitting welker in the head when the dude is barely 5ft tall and always lowering his head and give like a 6inch hitting strike zone which is impossible to traject. There is no where to hit welker legally.

Only offensive players. They even said that when it happened. Imagine on every play that is gonna be a td a defensive player takes his helmet off.

the wording would have to include something to effect of "any player involved in the tackle losing their helmet" or similar. But yes, they need to look into player safety on both sides of the ball, and offensive players lowering their heads need to be called.

if a pick 6 was about to be run into the endzone, could the quarterback take off his helmet to end the play?

Only offensive players. They even said that when it happened. Imagine on every play that is gonna be a td a defensive player takes his helmet off.
This ^

The announcers jumped on it immediately for those who are unaware, and that is the very first reason to think of. Oops, my helmet came off, play is dead, no Jordy Nelson you may not run the other 30 yards to the end zone, sorry.

the wording would have to include something to effect of "any player involved in the tackle losing their helmet" or similar. But yes, they need to look into player safety on both sides of the ball, and offensive players lowering their heads need to be called.
Wait, what needs to be called? You want a running back putting his head down while plowing into the end zone to be a penalty? Seriously?

Requiring "in the tackle" would, among other things, introduce another judgement call that would have to be made on the fly that could not be taken back once the whistle is blown. Seems to me the defensive/tackling player needs to

1) Make sure his helmet is properly secured

2) Stop trying to tackle a beast like Eddie Lacy once the helmet comes off

you can't make it just for those invlved in the play either cos the defenders will just keep helmet straps loose so it pops off on first contact, especially around the goal line. It's just not going to happen for defense.

Seriously you think that the proper way to plow into the endzone is to lower your vision to the ground and allow the top of the helmet to get hit? If anything I am keeping my eye level up but lowering my shoulders level to create a lower center of gravity but that is just me.

Seriously you think that the proper way to plow into the endzone is to lower your vision to the ground and allow the top of the helmet to get hit? If anything I am keeping my eye level up but lowering my shoulders level to create a lower center of gravity but that is just me.
Seriously I think that guys like Eddie Lacy can decide for themselves how they want to plow into the end zone, and I don't think they need advice from you or I.

"It was just me and the safety, and it's a business decision on his behalf," Lacy said. "So I just lowered my pads, and we just went from there."

:lmao:

sorry watched game with volume down.....didn't hear announcers

so Blanton or any defender in that case can have their helmet knocked off and if the ballcarrier so wants could step on their face while they are on the ground?

If they are concerned with safety they should make it a equipment penalty not to have your helmet completely strapped up and mouthpiece in just like in high school. To anyone that played in HS, could u imagine your helmet popping off like it does in the pros...........mine was usually so damn tight that my ears would come off with the helmet. It usually took me working up a good sweat to get my helmet off without great effort.

so Blanton or any defender in that case can have their helmet knocked off and if the ballcarrier so wants could step on their face while they are on the ground?
Are you being serious right now?

Next you are going to say players should be required to wear a cup because if they don't the ball carrier can legally kick them in the ####.

Edit: Wow I can't believe that word is censored lol, I used the actual correct PC medical term and everything

Last edited by a moderator:
if a pick 6 was about to be run into the endzone, could the quarterback take off his helmet to end the play?
There's a change in possession, so the QB is no longer an "offensive" player...so, no. It would also be a 15 yard penalty added to the kickoff.

Are you being serious right now?

Next you are going to say players should be required to wear a cup because if they don't the ball carrier can legally kick them in the ####.

Edit: Wow I can't believe that word is censored lol, I used the actual correct PC medical term and everything
well you might have noticed the nfl kinda covering itself a bit with the concussion settlements of late.............i think nutsack protection and nutsack protocols are coming next

Users who are viewing this thread