What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie picks 1.02, 1.06 and 1.09. What to do? (1 Viewer)

Which Scenario would you do?

• Scenario 1

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Scenario 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something different! (see my comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Avery

Footballguy
PPR Dynasty/Contract league
Start QB/1-2RB/2-3WR/TE

I just sold off Beckham and Ridley and my rebuild begins starting with picks, 1.03, 1.06 and 1.09 in the first round!

I'm sitting here on the clock at 1.03 - CEH, and Taylor just (predictably) went first and second, and depending on whom I draft here, this is what I guess will happen and I can draft. 

Bold picks would be mine.

SCENARIO 1
1.03: Lamb
1.04: Dobbins
1.05: Jeudy
1.06: Swift or remaining WR of my choice
1.07: Akers
1.08: A WR
1.09: A WR (probably)

SCENARIO 2
1.03: Dobbins
1.04: Lamb
1.05: Jeudy
1.06: Swift or remaining WR of my choice
1.07: Akers
1.08: A WR
1.09: A WR (probably)

I'm leaning into 'Scenario 2' with Dobbins but I'm vacillating back and forth. Would love to hear from the wisdom of the board.  :football:

You're in total Re-build? or just a mini re-build?

I prefer building WR before RB as they have longer shelf lives as well as usually can take longer to develop int o starters. If you're looking at a couple years before contention, I would go Scenario 1 and shore up your starting WR's now, then grab RB's closer to "Go for it time"

Therefor I lean Scenario 1. You might even get Jeudy too if they go Dobbins / Swift in between you (??)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a combined draft board based on your evaluations?  The key in any rookie draft is to hit on your picks.  It doesn't matter what positions you take.  If you don't hit on the pick the guy isn't really any good for you. 

Based on your combined draft board who is at the top of the list?  That is who you should take at every draft slot when it is your turn.  So do you think Dobbins or Lamb is at the top of your combined board right now?  Which ever player is that is who you should take. 

The reason why this approach is important is because you cannot guarantee what other drafters do and they may surprise you and leave your top selections available for your next pick and following pick.  Take the player you believe is the best player to succeed in FF.  For me my order would be (of the players you have listed):

1. Dobbins
  2. Lamb
  3. Juedy
  4. Akers
  5. Swift

If you're rebuilding, I am taking Lamb at 3....it's a no brainer.  I like Dobbins but I think Lamb has stud potential for a longer period of time.

Then take BPA at 6 and 9.  Hope that Jeudy gets to pick 6, but you would be fine with Swift.  You only have to start 1 RB in your spot, so in your format I would rather load up on talented WRs.

Do you have a combined draft board based on your evaluations?  The key in any rookie draft is to hit on your picks.  It doesn't matter what positions you take.  If you don't hit on the pick the guy isn't really any good for you. 

Based on your combined draft board who is at the top of the list?  That is who you should take at every draft slot when it is your turn.  So do you think Dobbins or Lamb is at the top of your combined board right now?  Which ever player is that is who you should take. 

The reason why this approach is important is because you cannot guarantee what other drafters do and they may surprise you and leave your top selections available for your next pick and following pick.  Take the player you believe is the best player to succeed in FF.  For me my order would be (of the players you have listed):

1. Dobbins
  2. Lamb
  3. Juedy
  4. Akers
  5. Swift
We just finished the 1st round of our 14 team dynasty, standard scoring rookie draft. Our top 10 went ...

1. Taylor

2. CEH

3. Dobbins

4. Lamb

5. Swift

6. Juedy

7. Akers

8. Reagor

9. Ruggs

10. Jefferson

I agree with you that you never know what someone is thinking or their plan and should have players ranked, but you also have to factor in what position you need.  If you are set everywhere or in a complete rebuild than you go best player available.

To clarify my position. I am not saying to force WR either. I agree with the people saying take best player available. To me that is Lamb though (I just got Lamb in my 2nd dynasty that I took over a floundering team and went into immediate Re-build road - I got him 5th overall and was jumping for joy). I think you get a stud for the next 10 years

I agree with you that you never know what someone is thinking or their plan and should have players ranked, but you also have to factor in what position you need.  If you are set everywhere or in a complete rebuild than you go best player available.
I actually disagree with this for rookie drafts.  Taking from a position of need but an inferior player doesn't help if the inferior player isn't any good.   The whole point of the rookie draft is to get as many starters as possible.  Even if you stock up in one particular position if they are all superior players you have assets to maneuver with.  For rookie drafts put in the effort and time to make a combined draft board and take the top guy on your list (regardless of position) when its your turn.  If you get guys that pan out it won't matter what position they are in which works in the other direction also.  That's why I would rather take the guy I think is better even if the position isn't ideal.

The only caveat I have on that is for 2 QB leagues because that makes the scarcity overly skewed because QB's are usually impossible to get otherwise. 

I actually disagree with this for rookie drafts.  Taking from a position of need but an inferior player doesn't help if the inferior player isn't any good.   The whole point of the rookie draft is to get as many starters as possible.  Even if you stock up in one particular position if they are all superior players you have assets to maneuver with.  For rookie drafts put in the effort and time to make a combined draft board and take the top guy on your list (regardless of position) when its your turn.  If you get guys that pan out it won't matter what position they are in which works in the other direction also.  That's why I would rather take the guy I think is better even if the position isn't ideal.

The only caveat I have on that is for 2 QB leagues because that makes the scarcity overly skewed because QB's are usually impossible to get otherwise. 
What I meant by factoring position of need, and should have clarified, was that if you have a rb and wr ranked similarly you take the position you need. Not over reaching of course.

What I meant by factoring position of need, and should have clarified, was that if you have a rb and wr ranked similarly you take the position you need. Not over reaching of course.
I agree but vary rarely do two players get the exact same valuation.  I just have seen too many guys reach for a position for a lesser player because "I need a RB' and then the WR's they passed over (better players) have quality fantasy contributions and the reach never does anything.  Rookie drafts are just about getting fantasy starters.....regardless of anything else. 

Werps.  I made my picks before there were replies here but sorry I went MIA on my own question.  

If it helps here are some answers/thoughts to posts:

You're in total Re-build? or just a mini re-build?

I prefer building WR before RB as they have longer shelf lives as well as usually can take longer to develop int o starters. If you're looking at a couple years before contention, I would go Scenario 1 and shore up your starting WR's now, then grab RB's closer to "Go for it time"

Therefor I lean Scenario 1. You might even get Jeudy too if they go Dobbins / Swift in between you (??)
Total rebuild.

1. Dobbins
  2. Lamb
  3. Juedy
  4. Akers
  5. Swift
Yeah.  I have a combined draft board as I generally draft rookies for whom I like regardless of position but am not always sold on my convictions as I don't watch a lot of college ball and I agree, if you lock into a position, you may miss an opportunity.

So this is how it went down.

Note: Just noticed topic title had pick 1.02... it is actually 1.03.

1.03: Picked Dobbins
Traded 1.06 + Penny for 1.04 (to the Carson owner)
1.04: Picked Lamb
1.05:  Akers
1.06: Swift
1.07: Jeudy
1.08: Jefferson
1.09: Picked Ruggs

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread