What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie Draft Advice Needed! (1 Viewer)

steelers1080

Footballguy
My team in a non-ppr league is currently very solid at WR and ok at TE (Ebron, Fleener, Brate).  I have picks 1, 4, 5, 9, and 13.  At 1, 4, 5 I plan on taking RBs since Davis will go 2nd.

At 9 and 13 I was planning on targeting Njoku and Juju respectively.  If one or both of them are gone when I pick, would you still target a WR/TE, or take a RB if that's the BPA?  

Never box yourself into a position corner.  Rank the players you think are the best regardless of position and then draft accordingly when your pick comes up.  If you go in with the mindset that you must take a RB, RB, RB, TE, WR in that order you will force picks.  If you don't have a preference between the top 3 RB's then why not take Davis and #1 and then take whichever RB is left at 4 of the three you have tied in value? 

If you go in thinking you must take a particular position you will force a player that you shouldn't and miss out on the value that gets presented.  My advice is to rank the top 15 players (regardless of position) and then follow that as your picks come up.  Don't pass on a WR because you think you must take a RB or vice versa.     

I'm with Gally... Why not take Davis #1 and then you would potentially go RB with the next 2 picks given the best available talent that we can figure will be there. 

Davis/McCaffery/Cook or Fournette/McCaffery/Cook... I think you're better off loading up with a top WR and two top RBs rather than splurging on RBs right off the bat. Not to mention yuo have 9 and 13 so you can target a pretty good TE at 9 (again, going off of consensus overall cheat sheets a TE at 9 would likely be BPA). Can even reach on a RB at 13 if you really wanted to walk away with 3 RBs. 

Think of it this way, you pencil yourself with RBs with the first 3 picks, and then your WRs are gone, so now what? Now you're forced to reach and draft a WR too early because you forced yourself to take RBs with the first 3. 

If you take Davis 1.01 and then target BPA (likely RB) at 1.04 and 1.05 then when 1.09 and 1.13 come up you can pick anyone yuo want and it doesn't matter because you've just gotten the top WR and potentially 2 of the top 4 RBs in the draft. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Never box yourself into a position corner.  Rank the players you think are the best regardless of position and then draft accordingly when your pick comes up.  If you go in with the mindset that you must take a RB, RB, RB, TE, WR in that order you will force picks.  If you don't have a preference between the top 3 RB's then why not take Davis and #1 and then take whichever RB is left at 4 of the three you have tied in value? 

If you go in thinking you must take a particular position you will force a player that you shouldn't and miss out on the value that gets presented.  My advice is to rank the top 15 players (regardless of position) and then follow that as your picks come up.  Don't pass on a WR because you think you must take a RB or vice versa.     
This.

Remember that you can NEVER have enough WRs in a dynasty format, and they have great trade value if they break out.  You might be solid now at WR, but Davis could be a special talent and has a QB that is going to be around for a while.  I would consider Davis at #1 if you think the 1st 3 RBs are similar in value.

If your set on taking RBs I would go to the guy at #2 and see how bad he wants Davis.  If it's yes, tell him you're interested in Davis at #1 and see if you can swap 1 and 2 and make him pay extra to secure Davis.  Then you can take Fournette at #2 and you will get two of McCaffrey, Mixon or Cook.  Win-win for you.

Good luck

While I agree with the guys and "don't box yourself into a corner" mentality, the suggestion that you should shuffle your draft board to grab a WR first doesn't stick for me... in another way, they are "boxing themselves into a corner" with the suggestion to go WR at #1.  

Your opening salvo mentions you are very strong at WR.  Did everyone else in this thread just completely skip over that?  So, use your #1/4/5 on the best RB's available.  Or leverage one of the picks into moving back to the 6 and grab Williams plus add'l assets if you can.  IMO if you do spend all 3 top picks on RB's, you're going to get at least 2 RB's that should be solid contributors for 6-8 years.  For the 9 and 13, again, take the BPA... at the same time, stay fluid and put your toes into the trade market.  If you can come away with some future assets at the 9/13 rather than rookie picks, you've probably done fine.  I also wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use your 9/13 picks on more RB's.  A starting RB is always going to have a trade market.

Ebron/Fleener will be fine options for the next 5/3 years.  If you are in love with Njoku, then go for him at 9... maybe OJ Thomas slips to 9 and you scoop him up to cover your bases with Brate.  

So yeah, don't put down a blueprint you can't get away from... but don't turn everything head over heels because you're going to come out without a WR.  The WR class this year might not be worth investing into.

I view Fournette as the best player in the class, so I'll be taking him at 1.  Then I view the next 3 RBs as better than Williams.  My WRs are Julio, Amari Cooper, Mike Evans, and Tyreek Hill. I could use more depth, but I'm pretty loaded there.  I have Hyde, Lacy and Hill at RB... not pretty.  

Where do you guys see Ross, Hunt, Perine, Zay, and Engram value-wise?  I currently have Juju and Njoku at 8 and 9 in my rankings, but I know I'm higher than most on them.

It's non-PPR though. Fournette (or Mixon) is quite a bit more valuable than Davis in that format. Seems like a no-brainer to go RB at 1. 

I think the original plan is solid. Take 3 RBs. One of the top three TEs at 9. Then BPA at 13. In non-PPR, I think you can do better than JuJu at 13, but that's just my opinion. If JuJu's your guy as a steeler fan, then he's just fine there. 

While I agree with the guys and "don't box yourself into a corner" mentality, the suggestion that you should shuffle your draft board to grab a WR first doesn't stick for me... in another way, they are "boxing themselves into a corner" with the suggestion to go WR at #1.  

Your opening salvo mentions you are very strong at WR.  Did everyone else in this thread just completely skip over that?  So, use your #1/4/5 on the best RB's available.  Or leverage one of the picks into moving back to the 6 and grab Williams plus add'l assets if you can.  IMO if you do spend all 3 top picks on RB's, you're going to get at least 2 RB's that should be solid contributors for 6-8 years.  For the 9 and 13, again, take the BPA... at the same time, stay fluid and put your toes into the trade market.  If you can come away with some future assets at the 9/13 rather than rookie picks, you've probably done fine.  I also wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use your 9/13 picks on more RB's.  A starting RB is always going to have a trade market.

Ebron/Fleener will be fine options for the next 5/3 years.  If you are in love with Njoku, then go for him at 9... maybe OJ Thomas slips to 9 and you scoop him up to cover your bases with Brate.  

So yeah, don't put down a blueprint you can't get away from... but don't turn everything head over heels because you're going to come out without a WR.  The WR class this year might not be worth investing into.
My comment wasn't necessarily to take Davis at #1.  I advocated to rank the top 15 guys and follow that list regardless of position.  If the OP believes Davis is the #1 rookie then he should take him at 1.01 regardless of his WR strength.  If the OP believes there is no difference between the top 3 RB's then my suggestion was to take Davis (assuming he thinks Davis is a top player) because then he will still get one of the top 3 RB's (which he doesn't value differently)  If the OP doesn't think Davis is at the top end then I agree he shouldn't force Davis at pick 1.01.  

The OP has a choice....go 3 RBs, or 2RBs and Davis.  I don't think either of them are bad options.  

I have Davis ranked #2 behind Fournette.  Since I know the owner at #2 will take Davis, the only chance I have of securing them both is to take Davis #1 and hope he passes on Fournette.  It's not likely.  Personally, I would just take Fournette #1 and 2 more RBs at 4 and 5.  But the key in dynasty drafts is to take top talent.  Davis could be a top talent, as well as Fournette.

But I don't think you're boxing yourself into a corner by taking Davis #1 and 2 RBs, especially if you think the 4 RBs are similar in value.

Users who are viewing this thread