What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rolando McClain (1 Viewer)

Grimace59

Footballguy
I'm wondering what every body think's of this kid? Is he the next Patrick Willis, a Rookie to grab at the end of the 1st who will put up top 5 numbers in IDP leagues. I've read allot about him lately, but wondering if it's all hype or is he that good?

I'm wondering what every body think's of this kid? Is he the next Patrick Willis, a Rookie to grab at the end of the 1st who will put up top 5 numbers in IDP leagues. I've read allot about him lately, but wondering if it's all hype or is he that good?
He is absolutely that good.At this point, pre-combine, he compares very favorably to Willis.Impact starter from Day 1 in the right situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 6th pick in a rook draft. If the top 5 go as I think they will and McClain goes to a good situation than I am almost positive I will be taking him with that pick. The only other guy I'm considering right now is Bradford.

I'm hoping he's available between picks 9-12 in multiple leagues, and I think there's a good shot at it. He excelled in the 3-4 and there are a lot of 3-4 teams that could use a middle LB. I wouldn't be surprised if KC took him at the 5-spot, or Cleveland at 7 (though Cleveland's probably more likely to go for Haden or Berry).

He kinda reminds me of Curtis Lofton. THough Lofton was more of a tackle machine. McClain appears to be a quick study and is good at breaking down an offense. I like smart football players.

Maybe the reason he reminds me of Lofton is because I got the same feeling in my gut about his talents. Someone definitely to target.

I have the 6th pick in a rook draft. If the top 5 go as I think they will and McClain goes to a good situation than I am almost positive I will be taking him with that pick. The only other guy I'm considering right now is Bradford.
I am in the same situation.... but I don't need LB help (Cooper, Cushing, Ruud, Orakpo & Poz). But it's hard to pass on his talent. I am hoping he drops to me at 1.09, but I might pull the trigger at 1.06 anyway.From what I saw of him in the SEC Championship & National Championship, he has the talent to be Top 5 LB Rookie Year if he lands in the right situation... Some early Mock Drafts have him landing in Clev at 1.07. With D'Q Jackson and Barton both coming off IR, I don't see them needing more LB help but other issues on Offense as a priority (OL & TE). Denver is another landing spot. With Andre Davis getting up in years and Dumerville not living up to expectaitons, maybe Denver is more likely and a better fit. They started the year with a solid D. If they can pick that up again, he would be 1st round value there.... just my thoughts.

Birdie048 said:
I am in the same situation.... but I don't need LB help (Cooper, Cushing, Ruud, Orakpo & Poz). But it's hard to pass on his talent. I am hoping he drops to me at 1.09, but I might pull the trigger at 1.06 anyway.

From what I saw of him in the SEC Championship & National Championship, he has the talent to be Top 5 LB Rookie Year if he lands in the right situation... Some early Mock Drafts have him landing in Clev at 1.07. With D'Q Jackson and Barton both coming off IR, I don't see them needing more LB help but other issues on Offense as a priority (OL & TE).

Denver is another landing spot. With Andre Davis getting up in years and Dumerville not living up to expectaitons, maybe Denver is more likely and a better fit. They started the year with a solid D. If they can pick that up again, he would be 1st round value there.... just my thoughts.
Say what? Different position, first of all. And secondly, Dumervil easily surpassed all expectations.

Birdie048 said:
I am in the same situation.... but I don't need LB help (Cooper, Cushing, Ruud, Orakpo & Poz). But it's hard to pass on his talent. I am hoping he drops to me at 1.09, but I might pull the trigger at 1.06 anyway.

From what I saw of him in the SEC Championship & National Championship, he has the talent to be Top 5 LB Rookie Year if he lands in the right situation... Some early Mock Drafts have him landing in Clev at 1.07. With D'Q Jackson and Barton both coming off IR, I don't see them needing more LB help but other issues on Offense as a priority (OL & TE).

Denver is another landing spot. With Andre Davis getting up in years and Dumerville not living up to expectaitons, maybe Denver is more likely and a better fit. They started the year with a solid D. If they can pick that up again, he would be 1st round value there.... just my thoughts.
Say what? Different position, first of all. And secondly, Dumervil easily surpassed all expectations.
i guess if he broke the sack record maybe that would have met expectations

Maybe I was not clear..... I have the 1.06 and I am a fan of McClain and I am strongly considering him. Thus I am looking to move a LB for an upgrade at WR and have McClain to replace him.

As for Denver LB expectations compared to how they started the season, there was a let down somewhere. Elvis started the season great with something like 21 tackles, 3 FF, 2 Pass defended & 8 sacks in the first 6 games (until the Bye break). Great numbers (both in NFL & fantasy worlds). It was 17+ pt/gm in my scoring.

Then he totaled 17 tackles the rest of the season. Granted he did get another 8.5 sacks, but his overall numbers were down. Here he averaged 6.6 pt/gm.

That to me was not living up to expectations from how he started the season.

:yes:

I don't care what context you try to put it in... merely suggesting a player tallying 16.5 sacks in a season didn't live up to expectations is utter lunacy. Sorry, I can't even begin to sugarcoat it.

Dumerville's numbers the first 6 games were wholly unsustainable, statistically speaking. And his 8.5 sacks in his last 10 games would be considered elite pash rusher level had he not tallied a single sack prior to that.

Stick with your Rolando McClain draft plan. Your suggestions regarding him were making sense until you brought up Dumerville... and then :tfp:

K.C. Joiner did a nice review of McClain at the ESPN Insider:

1) watched six games of film, and

2) marveled at how "beyond the curve" McClain was in one game (Kentucky), and at

3) how ordinary he was in five other games (Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Tennessee and South Carolina) .

Evidently he's not a fundamentally strong tackler, prefering to "grab and yank" instead of using proper taclkling fundamentals. His head is not in the games as he can be diverted from the purpose at times. His POA (Point of Attack) percentage, excluding the Kentucky game, was "a meager 13.0%."

Just so you know.

:mellow:

K.C. Joiner did a nice review of McClain at the ESPN Insider:

1) watched six games of film, and

2) marveled at how "beyond the curve" McClain was in one game (Kentucky), and at

3) how ordinary he was in five other games (Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Tennessee and South Carolina) .

Evidently he's not a fundamentally strong tackler, prefering to "grab and yank" instead of using proper taclkling fundamentals. His head is not in the games as he can be diverted from the purpose at times. His POA (Point of Attack) percentage, excluding the Kentucky game, was "a meager 13.0%."

Just so you know.

:D
That was an interesting read, tells allot about the kid. He has the smarts but maybe not the full motivation, but he's also young , but very smart, so... "The Football Scientist Lab Result: This can go either way. McClain has tremendous physical characteristics and when he is on his game, he can be nearly unstoppable. If a team drafts him too high with this in mind, he would be worthy of an overhyped label. If a team drafts him with the understanding that he may need consistent motivating and a lot of tackling drill work, the move would be worthy of the TFS seal of approval."

Depending on how the combine, work outs and the draft goes I still feel very confident at drafting him at 1.10.

Fair enuf.... but isn't Elvis a UFA (unless there is no CBA)? But back to the topic..... McClain...
Elvis is an RFA I believe. I'm pretty sure Denver will find a way to keep him - it's even possible that they franchise him. They should have the money to lock down both him and Orton for at least the '10 season (which I believe are their two biggest priorities - don't ask me why) given that they are likely trading Marshall and letting Scheffler walk. The only other guy they may want to throw some money at is OG Chris Kuper, but even that is beginning to seem unlikely given that they are moving to a pure power running scheme.But it's irrelevant to the discussion as Elvis is an OLB/DE hybrid edge rusher while McClain is a pure ILB. Your point about Andra Davis is apt. He played well this season but it's not out of the question for Denver to start looking for an upgrade/replacement.

Fair enuf.... but isn't Elvis a UFA (unless there is no CBA)?

But back to the topic..... McClain...
Elvis is an RFA I believe. I'm pretty sure Denver will find a way to keep him - it's even possible that they franchise him. They should have the money to lock down both him and Orton for at least the '10 season (which I believe are their two biggest priorities - don't ask me why) given that they are likely trading Marshall and letting Scheffler walk. The only other guy they may want to throw some money at is OG Chris Kuper, but even that is beginning to seem unlikely given that they are moving to a pure power running scheme.But it's irrelevant to the discussion as Elvis is an OLB/DE hybrid edge rusher while McClain is a pure ILB. Your point about Andra Davis is apt. He played well this season but it's not out of the question for Denver to start looking for an upgrade/replacement.
Andra Davis is an average NFL linebacker at best, he may have been good 5 years ago, but that was then, this is now, I would be very surprised if they do not at least try to replace him. I have also read (Per Adam Schefter) that Miami may try making a play for Elvis, he would fit their scheme nicely and be the beastly edge rusher they need. http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryId=2749

Could Dumervil be on Dolphins radar?

1/24/2010 10:34:43 AM

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports new Dolphins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan brings 3-4 defense to Miami, along with knowledge of Broncos free agent LB Elvis Dumervil. The restricted free agent could be on the Dolphins radar.

Dumervil came out in the same draft as No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams. Since then, Williams has 39.5 sacks, Dumervil 43. Dumervil is also from Miami.

Andra Davis is an average NFL linebacker at best, he may have been good 5 years ago, but that was then, this is now, I would be very surprised if they do not at least try to replace him. I have also read (Per Adam Schefter) that Miami may try making a play for Elvis, he would fit their scheme nicely and be the beastly edge rusher they need. http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryId=2749

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports new Dolphins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan brings 3-4 defense to Miami, along with knowledge of Broncos free agent LB Elvis Dumervil. The restricted free agent could be on the Dolphins radar.

Dumervil came out in the same draft as No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams. Since then, Williams has 39.5 sacks, Dumervil 43. Dumervil is also from Miami.
Re: Davis, I agree for the most part. He is not remotely special, but I do believe he had a solid season. IMO Denver has bigger needs than replacing him, but again it's not out of the question that they consider it.Re; Doom to Miami, assuming Denver tenders him instead of franchising/resigning him, they will obviously put the highest tender on him. I wonder if Miami would be willing to give up a first and a third for him? No way in hell Denver simply lets him walk.

thatguy said:

Re: Davis, I agree for the most part. He is not remotely special, but I do believe he had a solid season. IMO Denver has bigger needs than replacing him, but again it's not out of the question that they consider it.Re; Doom to Miami, assuming Denver tenders him instead of franchising/resigning him, they will obviously put the highest tender on him. I wonder if Miami would be willing to give up a first and a third for him? No way in hell Denver simply lets him walk.
I agree on both accounts, he had a solid season for a declining LB but so has Dhani Jones for the Bengals the past couple seasons, but I see him being replaced next year as well, the Bengals already have the replacement on their team (Rey Maualuga, of course now he has legal issues to deal with over his DUI).

which teams are the ideal situations for McClain to land in? Which ones scream "avoid him in early rounds of IDP draft"?

I also seem to remember similar hype about Aaron Curry, and look how that turned out. He got drastically outplayed by a rookie SLB and a part-time rookie DE

Curry is an OLB, and nobody really saw him as a top tier LB IDP leagues. McClain is an Inside Backer and will be the leader of the defense. McClain is smart and has on field insticts, Curry is just a freaking beast physically.

Ideal places would be Denver, or Miami in their 3-4 Def. I may stay away if he lands in Oakland, or some big red flag comes up at the Combine/Indivdual workouts.

you think Denver is an ideal resting place? wouldn't he be competing with DJ Williams for tackles?

I can see Miami

if he goes to Oakland, that would be gold, I thought Oakland wasn't real happy with Morrison and was looking for a reason to get Morrison off the field?

Proceed with caution on McClain. He has Crohn's disease. So far, it has been managed well, but it is an insidious disease and he will go through bouts of fatigue that will undoubtedly affect his play. How often is unclear.

Link from Rotoworld.

I have dropped him down my boards since I saw this post. My sister has Crohns and for a year it almost killed her till she got it under control, but it still affects her life. No longer a 1st rounder in my eyes (in Fantasy Rookie drafts I mean), heres to hopeing he drops to the mid 2nd round.

Crohn's disease is a pretty serious condition and unfortunately one that has no cure, although it can be managed with diet/medication, but complications can certainly arise from time to time. It is a shame to hear McClain suffers from this and have heard it is a difficult condition to deal with. I would certainly think this can/could affect his week in/ week out abilities and becomes a much higher risk for NFL teams (as well as fantasy teams).

He was pretty high on my rookie board, since I think that the rookie IDP's from a fantasy perspective are fairly underwhelming. Not really seeing any future Willis, Beason, Poz, etc. Maybe an OLB or two that I like but no one that I could see spending a pick on in the first 3 rounds. There is some top notch DT's and a lot of depth there and maybe a few secondary players, but these are not areas that are going to really help anyone's fantasy team.

Wh is it a cocern now? He's played on Saturdays just fine with it. Why should it be a ncern just because he will be playing on Sundays?

Wh is it a cocern now? He's played on Saturdays just fine with it. Why should it be a ncern just because he will be playing on Sundays?
Good point- while I am not a doctor I do believe that the disease can cause fatigue, arthritis, dehydration, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. My understanding is there are also different types of Crohn's disease and each individual may experience different and varying degrees of symptoms. The NFL is whole level above college though. Not sure if the excess rigors of the NFL would make for further complications or not. David Garrard has managed to play with the disease with no apparrent effect, of course the physical demands of QB and LB are different. I don't it would downgrade him significantly, but is certainly an added risk - just like NFL teams -to consider where/when to draft him.

I'm no doctor so just wondering out loud here. I wonder if it is more easily controlled when you are talking about an NFL player whose team has a medical staff to continually monitor him (not sure if this would be by blood tests or something else)? In the case of most of us a level of medicine would be established and you might not go back to the doctor for 3-6 months unless you were feeling effects you did not anticipate.

I'm no doctor so just wondering out loud here. I wonder if it is more easily controlled when you are talking about an NFL player whose team has a medical staff to continually monitor him (not sure if this would be by blood tests or something else)? In the case of most of us a level of medicine would be established and you might not go back to the doctor for 3-6 months unless you were feeling effects you did not anticipate.
It never hurts to have the weight of the league's medical staff behind you. I'm not aware that each team has it's own primary care doctor to manage cases like this; I'd guess that the majority of the medical staffs include orthopedists, etc. McClain will surely have a very good GI specialist monitoring him in conjunction with a primary care doctor. They'll be the ones following his medications and, if/when necessary, testing. There are different levels of severity of Crohn's disease. Some cases can be managed with dietary changes and medications. That seems to be the case so far with McClain, who's said he takes a handful of pills a day to help minimize flareups. Other cases are more severe and can involve arthritis and bowel obstruction requiring surgery to remove part of the intestine. It would appear that McClain's disease hasn't been severe so far. It's certainly reassuring for his future, football and otherwise, that no reports of a severe and significant flareup have surfaced. Over time, however, the majority of patients with Crohn's have a flareup that necessitates surgical intervention. There are side effects of some medications that could potentially cause issues (increased risk of infection and bleeding with some meds) as well. Overall, McClain carries more risk because of his illness, but can certainly still have a long and productive career.

Other cases are more severe and can involve arthritis and bowel obstruction requiring surgery to remove part of the intestine.
This is what happened to Garrard. He had a foot and a half of his intestines removed after losing a ton of weight. He played the next year though. He actually said he probably could have just managed it and lived with it if he weren't for the physical demands of football.

Crohns runs in my family. My Mom has but it has been dormant her entire life, no flair ups, but my sister had a couple feet removed, and put heavy steroids for over a year when it hit her. It depends on each person.

I wonder how it will affect McClain, you can use Garrard as a reference, but playing LB takes a much heavier toll on a person that QB does.

McClain will be good and he has a chance to be a Patrick Willis type producer, but don't annoint him just yet. I wouldn't take any LB in the first round of a dynasty draft. There are about 13 to 15 offensive players that I would take before him. That being said, he should be your first LB off the board. He's fast, agile and strong, although it surprised me that he did less than 20 reps of 225 on bench at the combine, needs to build his upper body more.

Users who are viewing this thread