What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roethlisberger with a broken right thumb (1 Viewer)

Angry Beavers

Footballguy
Ben Roethlisberger broke his right thumb in last Sunday's win over the Bengals.

Now there's reason for some concern. Although Roethlisberger finished out the Cincy game without a problem and says he will play when the Steelers come out of their bye, the damage is to his throwing hand. That's always a tricky injury to play with, even if he's fitted with some kind of glove or wrap. It's a situation to monitor closely during the bye. Charlie Batch is the backup. Related: Charlie BatchSource: Scott Brown on Twitter Nov 15 - 12:32 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
What is going on! I have never seen so many QBs get injured in one week. Much less the way the injuries weren't apparent during the games. Bizarre

He'll be fine, yearly thing with Ben and his injuries.

Roethlisberger's right thumb broken

Expected to start Nov. 27 against Kansas City after bye week

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a small break in his right thumb but said today it will not prevent him from playing and should not affect his play when the Steelers season resumes Nov. 27 in Kansas City.

Roethlisberger said his thumb was injured in the third quarter of Sunday's game in Cincinnati.

"I refractured it,'' Roethlisberger said today after practice, a protective sleeve on the right thumb. "How it happened, I don't remember."

He made a scheduled appearance at a local car dealership Monday night and apologized to guests for not being able to sign autographs. He also shook with his left hand.

Roethlisberger said if the Steelers had a game scheduled this weekend, he would play.

This is not the first time Roethlisberger has had a similar issue with his right thumb, and it irritated former coach Bill Cowher when he was asked about it.

It first came to light in 2005 and there were public issues about it over the next two seasons.

The first known injury occurred Nov. 28 during a game in Indianapolis and Cowher continued to list his quarterback as probable, and he continued to play.

However, during a Cowher press conference Dec. 13, the coach showed his obvious frustration at the continued questions about Roethlisberger's thumb.

"Talk to him,'' Cowher told a reporter who asked about the quarterback. "I'm not going to talk about it, so don't ask me questions. You can talk to him.''

Roethlisberger wore a protective sleeve on his thumb in past seasons when it bothered him and is expected to follow suit when he returns to practice after the bye week. The Steelers have light practices today and Wednesday, then have the next four days off. They will resume practices next Monday.

First published on November 15, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11319/1190070-100.stm#ixzz1dnh4Yfkz

any other qb and I think this is a big deal but hes dealt with this before and has two weeks to get used to throwing with the glove. Not really concerned . :banned:

His thumb has ben an ongoing issue over the last 7 seasons.

This news doesn't downgrade him in any way.

This is a blessing in disguise, Ben always seems to play better when he's hurt.
Actually after the offseason where he got in his motorcycle wreck, he rushed back too soon and played horribly, not better. In his rookie year, he was hurt late in the season but played through it and did not play well. He doesn't know when to pull himself from a game.

Actually after the offseason where he got in his motorcycle wreck, he rushed back too soon and played horribly, not better. In his rookie year, he was hurt late in the season but played through it and did not play well. He doesn't know when to pull himself from a game.
How about all of the other injuries he has played through since?

We know one thing - the guy will play, and he doesn't care if it hurts his team or not. The fact that he did play through an injury later in his career and it didn't seem to hurt his team doesn't nullify that fact. If he's out there, throwing multiple interceptions, and his throws are off, and people are whispering that maybe he should rest the thumb, he will ignore it and keep playing. That's what he does.

His thumb has ben an ongoing issue over the last 7 seasons.This news doesn't downgrade him in any way.
Have the past thumb issues been because it was actually fractured? Or just sprained/limited in other ways.Seems that a fracture vs a sprain may make a difference in terms of performance.

Nullify the fact that a football player wants to play even when he's hurt? How selfish of him.The first time Ben broke that thumb he won the Superbowl.
But that actually reinforces my point. He broke his thumb and played absolutely HORRIBLE in that Super Bowl. He has the worst QB rating of any Super Bowl winner. They got the victory in spite of him that day.Pre-thumb in 2005 he threw 12 TDs and 4 INTs. Post-thumb he threw 5 TDs and 5 INTs.

We know one thing - the guy will play, and he doesn't care if it hurts his team or not. The fact that he did play through an injury later in his career and it didn't seem to hurt his team doesn't nullify that fact. If he's out there, throwing multiple interceptions, and his throws are off, and people are whispering that maybe he should rest the thumb, he will ignore it and keep playing. That's what he does.
A player's job is to be ready to play and to play through pain when the team needs him. The coaches are the ones who are supposed to ascertain if he's hurting more than helping and pull him.

I seem to recall a few years ago you criticizing Roethlisberger for missing too many games due to injury, Beej. I am not sure what you want from the guy.If Roethlisberger only played when completely healthy he would never see the field. The Steelers have done pretty well with Big Ben under center even with his injuries so I think most Steelers fans would agree that we would rather see a banged-up Ben out there than a healthy Charlie Batch. Heck I would rather have a blind Ben Roethlisberger, his arm in a sling, in a wheelchair, and with a bad case of diarrhea, than any of the stiffs the Browns have trotted out at QB for the past decade or two.

'Godsbrother said:
'Fensalk said:
'Godsbrother said:
'Fensalk said:
I seem to recall a few years ago you criticizing Roethlisberger for missing too many games due to injury, Beej. I am not sure what you want from the guy.
What do you mean when you say what do I want from him? If you get hurt, and can't play, get healthy. I never saw Peyton Manning faceplant on a old lady's windshield after getting in a motorcycle accident. If he had, I'd say he should rest until he's healthy too.

What do you mean when you say what do I want from him? If you get hurt, and can't play, get healthy. I never saw Peyton Manning faceplant on a old lady's windshield after getting in a motorcycle accident. If he had, I'd say he should rest until he's healthy too.
What I am saying is that a few years ago you were criticizing Roethlisberger for missing games due to injuries. Now you are criticizing him for playing with injuries. The motorcycle incident was in 2006. Since then Roethlisberger has played through injuries and the result has been a 47-21 (.671) regular season record, 3 playoff appearance in 4 years, 2 Super Bowl appearances and a World Championship. If he is hurting the Steelers by playing with injuries then you should hope he never gets healthy.

What I am saying is that a few years ago you were criticizing Roethlisberger for missing games due to injuries. Now you are criticizing him for playing with injuries.
So? Everyone wants a player that stays healthy. A player that can't stay healthy warrants criticism. A player that hurts his team by attempting to play when he is not able to perform at an adequate level deserves criticism.Really the issue here is you are a fan of the team, so you are thinking with your heart and can't view things impartially. I criticize other players on other teams and get similar responses from their fans that just drop into some tribal posture seeking to defend their players at all times. I got a similar reaction from Chargers fans in another thread where I criticized AJ Smith. I drew flak from Jets fans criticizing their losses and poor tiebreaker position in the past week. Some people are just tribal.

BB is a tough SOB. I wouldn't worry about this at all if I owned him in a league. This guy isn't Matt Stafford or something.

'Fensalk said:
What I am saying is that a few years ago you were criticizing Roethlisberger for missing games due to injuries. Now you are criticizing him for playing with injuries.
So? Everyone wants a player that stays healthy. A player that can't stay healthy warrants criticism. A player that hurts his team by attempting to play when he is not able to perform at an adequate level deserves criticism.Really the issue here is you are a fan of the team, so you are thinking with your heart and can't view things impartially. I criticize other players on other teams and get similar responses from their fans that just drop into some tribal posture seeking to defend their players at all times. I got a similar reaction from Chargers fans in another thread where I criticized AJ Smith. I drew flak from Jets fans criticizing their losses and poor tiebreaker position in the past week. Some people are just tribal.
The Steelers have excelled with Ben as QB and much of that success was attained while Roethlisberger was playing with injuries. He has shattered most of the team passing records and has lead the team to 3 Super Bowl appearances in 7 years so I would say he has played at an adequate level. If you are saying his play has been below an acceptable level then perhaps your bias as a Browns fan is stronger than mine as a Steelers fan.

'Fensalk said:
you are thinking with your heart and can't view things impartially
:potkettle: Seriously, though - you have completely ignored the fact that it's the decision of the coaching and medical staffs whether or not a player gets in the game. It's not up to the player. The culture of the NFL is such that if you can reasonably suit up and get out there, you do so. Pain is a non-factor with your teammates, the only acceptable reason to be unavailable is if you're risking long-term injury (and even then, not always, as evidenced when Ben had the concussion a couple years back.)All you're doing here is attempting to create a scenario in which a player you hate cannot win. When you're an NFL QB, injuries, particularly minor ones, are going to occur - especially when you play a style that lends itself to getting hit 15-20 times a game like Roethlisberger does. It comes with the territory, and you know this. So, if he sits, to you, he's injury prone, and if he plays, he's hurting the team. Please. You're trying to tell me that Charlie Batch is a better option than even a 70% Roethlisberger? You know that's not true. Even if the decision was Roethlisberger's, he's ALWAYS helping the team by being out there. He's one of the top 5 QBs in football, and his backup is a 36 year old career journeyman.Everyone sees through your fishing, man. You're horribly jealous that your team continues to be irrelevant, with little hope for improvement, while the Steelers continue to be among the NFL elite year after year. All your ridiculous comments years ago about the Steelers settling for mediocrity have proven to be garbage, while the Browns continue to toil in obscurity. Every time they're a "sexy pick" to have what, for them, is a good season (.500 maybe?), they finish 6-10 or worse. Again. Meanwhile, the Steelers continue to be a dominant force in the league season after season, and it's killing you. They're so far in your head that you'd prefer to try to bait Steelers fans with this hogwash than to look at your own franchise and try to figure out how they manage to keep failing so catastrophically, year after year after year. Now go get your ****ing shinebox.Love,EG

So let me get this straight...the NFL has tried to save the QBs by turning the pass plays into flag football until the ball is released and in the air but now we have had significant injuries to Tony Romo, Michael Vick, Big Ben, Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub, Chad Henne, Sam Bradford, Kevin Kolb, Jason Campbell...have we ever had this many QBs go down during the season?

Maybe they should stop trying to intervene.

So let me get this straight...the NFL has tried to save the QBs by turning the pass plays into flag football until the ball is released and in the air but now we have had significant injuries to Tony Romo, Michael Vick, Big Ben, Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub, Chad Henne, Sam Bradford, Kevin Kolb, Jason Campbell...have we ever had this many QBs go down during the season? Maybe they should stop trying to intervene.
Nonsense. Lord Roger is working on new "improvements" to the rules

you are thinking with your heart and can't view things impartially
:potkettle:
People think I'm impartial when it comes to my team? Who thinks this?
All you're doing here is attempting to create a scenario in which a player you hate cannot win.
I don't hate Roethlisberger. In fact, I've said since his rookie year he had the talent to be something special. I've got the utmost respect for his game. I've also said he's injury-prone. He continues to prove I'm right on both counts.But, I should probably know better than to respond to this troll.

BB is a tough SOB. I wouldn't worry about this at all if I owned him in a league. This guy isn't Matt Stafford or something.
He's called Brittle Ben for a reason. He always gets hurt.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
He's only ever played a full 16 games once.
And he's only ever been referred to as "Brittle Ben" once.** **Hint-you are the only person to ever call him that.

And he's only ever been referred to as "Brittle Ben" once.** **Hint-you are the only person to ever call him that.
He's had that nickname for years.

No, he hasn't.Please show me magazine articles, newspaper articles, message boards, etc that refer to him as Brittle Ben. You can't do it, because no one has called Roethlisberger "Brittle Ben."

Never heard that anywhere before reading your blather.

I've also said he's injury-prone. He continues to prove I'm right on both counts.
Here's a fun exercise. Add up the number of games Ben has missed due to injury, then divide that into the # of starts he's made in his career. Then, do that for the other starting NFL QBs and compare the percentages. Then, get back to me on whether or not he's injury prone.

So I guess he really will sit when his injury is severe enough to hurt his team. Now what point were you trying to make?

Big Ben is a trooper. He played hurt way better than Charlie what's his freakin' name. Good Grief. It's not his fault when he get's no help at all from his offense.

Can anyone tell me what happened with his injury? I didn't get to see the game but it sounded like he left for a bit?
It looked bad. He came back and played great though, besides one bad throw that turned into an int. Question now is will he play on mnf? They will have to pass vs san fran. If they can't run it on clv, they ain't going to vs sf....

Users who are viewing this thread