What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rod Woodson's Top Defenses for 2006 (1 Viewer)

BoulderBob

Footballguy
According to Woodson, from the NFL network.

1. Tampa Bay

2. Steelers

3. Ravens

4. Broncos

5. Patriots

6. Jaguars

7. Panthers

I'm not sure why they put this guy on the air.

According to Woodson, from the NFL network.1. Tampa Bay2. Steelers3. Ravens4. Broncos5. Patriots6. Jaguars7. PanthersI'm not sure why they put this guy on the air.
This really doesn't look outlandish to me at all. Not trying to defend an ex-Steeler here, but what among these ratings do you see as being out in left field?

According to Woodson, from the NFL network.1. Tampa Bay2. Steelers3. Ravens4. Broncos5. Patriots6. Jaguars7. PanthersI'm not sure why they put this guy on the air.
This really doesn't look outlandish to me at all. Not trying to defend an ex-Steeler here, but what among these ratings do you see as being out in left field?
Yes it does look outlandish when the BEARS are missing from the list.

I forgot about them, they'd make my list for sure, but perhaps he thinks last year was a bit of a fluke? Easy schedule or something like that?

I forgot about them, they'd make my list for sure, but perhaps he thinks last year was a bit of a fluke? Easy schedule or something like that?
This years is easier and the team improved the D on "paper" as well.

I think the Bears missing from that list is a big mistake.

Other than that, the list looks pretty solid.

Personally, I feel like CAR should be higher and PIT should be lower

CHI was the #1 defense last year (even though TB finished #1), and they only got better IMO.

Throw Chicago on there and I agree with the list.

I am guessing they didn't make the cut because the Bears defense towards the latter part of 2005 and in the playoffs was not all that impressive.

:goodposting: I agree.
The main thing wrong with them is that Chicago isn't no. 1. They were no. 1 last year and are the only team out of this group that demonstrably improved their defense with the draft and FA.

Throw Chicago on there and I agree with the list.I am guessing they didn't make the cut because the Bears defense towards the latter part of 2005 and in the playoffs was not all that impressive.
that was one game, and I agree that for that one game they looked terrible. Seems a little hasty, though, to throw the no. 1 D off the list for one bad playoff games vs. an entire season of incredible success.

sholditch said:
Godsbrother said:
Throw Chicago on there and I agree with the list.I am guessing they didn't make the cut because the Bears defense towards the latter part of 2005 and in the playoffs was not all that impressive.
that was one game, and I agree that for that one game they looked terrible. Seems a little hasty, though, to throw the no. 1 D off the list for one bad playoff games vs. an entire season of incredible success.
They didn't play their starters the last week, and had one bad game.... agree this is :fishing:And how many people feel the Bears offense will be worse than last year? Anyone?Thought so.

BoulderBob said:
I'm guessing your favorite team just didn't make the list, because aside from the omission of the Bears, it seems like a reasonable list to me.

And how many people feel the Bears offense will be worse than last year? Anyone?Thought so.
:confused: Where'd that come from?
Meaning that a more effective offence will stay on the field longer and reduce the strain placed on the D. Imagin if this D could pin their ears back a few times throughout the season ala Indy and just try to create pressure on the QB.

sholditch said:
The main thing wrong with them is that Chicago isn't no. 1. They were no. 1 last year and are the only team out of this group that demonstrably improved their defense with the draft and FA.
Ravens had the #5 D last year, then drafted a huge DT with the #13 pick who was PAC-10 Defensive Player of the Year and added Trevor Pryce. Also getting Dan Cody back, who missed all of last season to injury, along with Ed Reed (who missed 6 games and was a shadow of himself when he returned) and Ray Lewis (who missed 10 games).

OK well, not the only one. You got me. I just think not having Chicago on that list is a pretty major omission. I did forget about Reed and Lewis being healthy again.. BTWm the Bears went and got themselves a pretty fierce DT themselves in Dvoracek, from what I hear he might start. That would be one helluve DL if he can beat out an entrenched starter: Alex Brown, Dvoracek, Tommie Harris, Ogunleye. Name one that's better all around. BEsides the Falcons. And possibly the Giants. OK I'll shut up now :homeritis: :bag:

sholditch said:
Godsbrother said:
They didn't play their starters the last week, and had one bad game.... agree this is :fishing:
Not fishing. I was at the Steelers-Bears game last year and the Bears didn't look like the #1 defense to me. A few weeks later they got beat badly in the playoffs against the Panthers.I'm not saying they didn't have a good defense last year because they did. Very good. But playing an incredibly week schedule helped their ranking quite a bit.

Godsbrother said:
ROTFLMAO!!! at the Bears ignorant comment... I don't think the Vikings game matters whatsoever, as Urlacher, Briggs Inc. were seen fuming on the sidelines because they didn't play much - and they were knocked off as the 'fewest points against' for the '05 season.They're secondary got toasted in the playoffs... they signed two CBs from Carolina for DEPTH (Manning Jr. and Wesley). They used ALL of their draft picks on defense except two later rounders on a guard and fullback....and they play EIGHT games against first year head coaches.I think Woodson is showing WAY too much AFC love - especially for his former team the Ravens. I'm shocked he didn't include the Raiders too... ;) :fishing: trip post for sure....

But playing an incredibly week schedule helped their ranking quite a bit.
Aren't all NFL schedules weekly? :lol:We did play against five teams that made the playoffs (CIN, TB, CAR, PIT, WAS), but obviously the division was very weak.

sholditch said:
Godsbrother said:
They didn't play their starters the last week, and had one bad game.... agree this is :fishing:
Not fishing. I was at the Steelers-Bears game last year and the Bears didn't look like the #1 defense to me. A few weeks later they got beat badly in the playoffs against the Panthers.I'm not saying they didn't have a good defense last year because they did. Very good. But playing an incredibly week schedule helped their ranking quite a bit.
So they have a bad game on the road against the eventual Super Bowl winners (who were in a MUST win situation) and another awful game (in which they were WAY overconfident). What about Tampa Bay's 'great defense' losing AT HOME to Kyle flippin' Orton? You could say ALL of those teams had a couple of bad games last year.

sholditch said:
Godsbrother said:
So they have a bad game on the road against the eventual Super Bowl winners (who were in a MUST win situation) and another awful game (in which they were WAY overconfident). What about Tampa Bay's 'great defense' losing AT HOME to Kyle flippin' Orton? You could say ALL of those teams had a couple of bad games last year.
True. And I said they did belong on the list. All I am saying is they played a weak schedule last year which helped their ranking. They played Detroit, Minnesota and Green Bay twice and the Saints, 49ers, Browns and Ravens. None of those teams were good offenses last year.

sholditch said:
Warpig said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
BoulderBob said:
According to Woodson, from the NFL network.

1. Tampa Bay

2. Steelers

3. Ravens

4. Broncos

5. Patriots

6. Jaguars

7. Panthers

I'm not sure why they put this guy on the air.
:goodposting: I agree.
:confused: they picked up a nickle back in Ricky Manning Jr. and lost a comparable nickle back in RW McQuarters as well as safety Mike Green. They got a second round draft pick Danieal Manning from Abeline Christian ( :rolleyes: ) and Dvoracek in the third, that hardly makes for a demonstrable improvement.It is not crazy to think the Bears will allow more points this season, the Lions now have Martz running the offense, the Pack has their entire stable or RBs back (they played all last year without Javon too so they wont be any worse with him in Denver now), and Minnesota seems to have righted the ship (ba-dum-dum-dum) too.

Seattle, Arizona, St. Louis, New England, the Giants and probably Tampa Bay all have potential top 10 offenses too, certaily top 1/2 offenses.

I think predicting a fall from the top 10 entirely is probably a stretch but not so outrageous as to spark all this indignation I am seeing in this thread.

It's a good list. Nice job Rod.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the exception of Chicago missing from the list, all those Defenses are at the top of most boards. It is just each his opinion has mixed up the order a little. Add Chicago, and the list isn't bad.

I'm not saying they didn't have a good defense last year because they did. Very good. But playing an incredibly week schedule helped their ranking quite a bit.
This year they have the easiest schedule in the league.What's your point?

I'm not saying they didn't have a good defense last year because they did. Very good. But playing an incredibly week schedule helped their ranking quite a bit.
This year they have the easiest schedule in the league.What's your point?
Well I am glad that's settled. :rolleyes:On paper their schedule, while appearing easy, looks to be harder than last season. Plus the real key to their success last season was their ridiculous points against ranking and that is the least likely statistic to remain static from year to year.

Users who are viewing this thread