What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roast of Tom Brady on Netflix Live (9 Viewers)

Everything about it was perfect. I mean, just 3 hours that kept getting better and better.
Brady slaying after all that? That was the proof that he's really like Jordan.

There's a level of greatness that you can only attain if you might be a psychopath. Wasn't sure before, but I saw it tonight.

Also surprised by the lack of contributions here.

Nikki is always good. As is Ross.

I didn't care for Tom and Bert at all. Thought that was a swing and miss.
I agree. Nikki and Ross were top tier. Also thought the dude with the mustache was right up there with them.

Also didn't think Tom and Bert were funny at all. They just stood there laughing. I could do that.

And Kevin Hart was not a good host.
The best: Nikki Glazer and I don't think it was close. Her delivery is so great and I find it refreshing when a pretty good looking female in her own right objectifies men. I think her and Giraldo are my two favorite roasters of all time. The Gronk "even me know that isn't real money" line was the best of the night.

Funny and plenty great in their own rights: Ross, Sam Jay, Tony Hinchcliffe, Will Farrell.

Surprisingly good: Bledsoe - I thought he was brilliant and by far the best of the non-comedians. Edelman and Belichik were are also funny and Gronk being Gronk worked. Brady was good at the end.

Not funny/disappointing: Dana White (was that like a paid promo? Otherwise why we he participate?), Kim Kardashian (I actually thought her jokes were well-written and objectively funny, but she just seemed unlikeable and out of place so it didn't work), Tm and Bert (I thought I saw what they were going for but it didn't work). Schulz was all right but kinda forgettable.

I didn't like Hart's initial monologue or any of his pre-written stuff but I actually thought he got funnier as the night when on and he was just firing back at others. So, passing grade from me.
I always thought Greg Giraldo could never be touched as the GOAT of these roasts, but Glazer has officially entered that territory. Her set last night might have been the best of all time. Just hilarious and every single joke hit. Ross is a must on these as well - but he's not at the level of Giraldo and Glazer. Man I miss Greg.

Someone forgot to teach Ben Affleck how a roast works. Cringey the whole time. He was by far the worst of the night.

Ross after saying it was the only time he wished Netflix had commercials. Lol
Yeah, it was some weird Jay and Silent Bob throwback or something. It's pretty bad when Robert Kraft out roasts you.

The tradition at comedy roasts is that nothing is off-limits, and the more offensive the joke, the better. And for the most part, Tom Brady was a good sport about it when he was roasted on Sunday night. But one joke appeared to genuinely get under Brady’s skin.

That was a joke at the expense of Patriots owner Robert Kraft and his 2019 arrest on misdemeanor charges of soliciting at a massage parlor.

Comedian Jeff Ross, who is notorious for his ability to offend even the most good-humored subjects at roasts, began his bit about Kraft by recalling the time that Brady, then a rookie sixth-round draft pick, told Kraft, “I’m the best decision your organization has ever made.

Ross then joked that Brady added, “Would you like a massage?”

Brady then got up out of his seat, approached Ross at the lectern, and said, “Don’t say that %^&* again.” Brady’s tone and expression suggested he was serious and didn’t consider it an appropriate topic for joking
C'mon. He was totally kidding around. There were far harsher jokes that night night, some aimed at him that were laughed off. And he wasn't being protective of Kraft. The crux of joke was about Brady asking to touch another man. He's basically saying don't call me gay again (or I'll kick your ***). He's kind of a meathead so in his old school jock mind he thought that was a good joke. I guess it wasn't because nobody got it and apparently some didn't even know he was making a joke.
I 100% disagree with all of this. Sorry.

If any of you question the taste of these jokes, you obviously did not see Jimmy Carr and Pete Davidson at the Rob Lowe roast.

If you're that sensitive or uneasy, don't look it up. Absolutely brutal.
Carr and Davidson would have been great to see up there for this roast (I saw Carr was in the audience).

I haven’t watched the whole thing yet. Were there a bunch of jokes from the other comics about Kraft and his massages? If not, it had to be for real because any decent roaster would have hammered that story with Kraft sitting there.

I haven’t watched the whole thing yet. Were there a bunch of jokes from the other comics about Kraft and his massages? If not, it had to be for real because any decent roaster would have hammered that story with Kraft sitting there.
Nope not mentioned again. Just a couple of jokes about him being old.

Yeah, in that case, my guess is that those jokes were off limits as a condition of Tom participating and Jeff Ross let it fly anyway. None of the comics are going to risk their cred by acknowledging that they agreed not to make Kraft massage jokes.

Yeah, in that case, my guess is that those jokes were off limits as a condition of Tom participating and Jeff Ross let it fly anyway. None of the comics are going to risk their cred by acknowledging that they agreed not to make Kraft massage jokes.
Yep that’s the main theory. All were told it was off limits but Ross tried to test it. Or it was planned by the two to make a point to all early. Brady shows he’s standing up for Kraft and to the rest of the comics to not try any more.

I could totally see this, especially with the names and egos involved. It's one thing for Brady to sign up for it and tell them anything goes about him, but not X, Y, and Z. IMO Ross and Gronk talking about his sisters seemed to be in that territory too. Again, just opinion and it's not like we will know.

One of my favorite lines of the night was from the other female comic to Bledsoe - "just because you wear it, doesn't make it real". :lol:

C'mon, man. They made an Aaron Hernandez hanging himself joke during this thing. Nobody pulled Kraft massage jokes because of what Brady did. Ross himself said Brady was kidding around. I'm honestly stunned that people think Brady made a legitimate threat to Ross during Ross's set. Brady is a self-described student of these roasts. He loves them.

C'mon, man. They made an Aaron Hernandez hanging himself joke during this thing. Nobody pulled Kraft massage jokes because of what Brady did. Ross himself said Brady was kidding around. I'm honestly stunned that people think Brady made a legitimate threat to Ross during Ross's set. Brady is a self-described student of these roasts. He loves them.

I didn’t say they pulled the Kraft jokes because of what Brady did to Ross. I said they pulled the Kraft jokes because that was the agreement ahead of time.

How else can you explain that no one else roasted Kraft for getting a happy ending at an Asian massage parlor? They just all happened to pass on the material?

I didn’t say they pulled the Kraft jokes because of what Brady did to Ross. I said they pulled the Kraft jokes because that was the agreement ahead of time.

How else can you explain that no one else roasted Kraft for getting a happy ending at an Asian massage parlor? They just all happened to pass on the material?
Anything goes in these things, that's the whole point. As to why didn't anyone else roast Kraft? Because it was a Tom Brady roast and Kraft wasn't one of the roasters? :shrug: You really think the rest of the comedians huddled and made a conscious decision to cut jokes based on Brady smiling and goofing around with Ross? Absurd. I understand twitter and gossip websites seeing this moment and saying "Ooooh, Tom Brady got upset during his roast" for likes and clicks but it's an obvious misrepresentation of what actually happened as confirmed by Ross himself.

I share this take.

As I mentioned up thread, the prevailing theory seems to be that the roasters were told Kraft's massage parlor event was off limits and so, because that's just kinda silly, Ross took one for the team and got it said and gave Brady a chance to back Kraft. To be clear, I don't think it was scripted, but I think Ross did it intentionally, Brady put the lid on it, and other roasters were able to save face by leaving it alone.

Anything goes in these things, that's the whole point. As to why didn't anyone else roast Kraft? Because it was a Tom Brady roast and Kraft wasn't one of the roasters? :shrug: You really think the rest of the comedians huddled and made a conscious decision to cut jokes based on Brady smiling and goofing around with Ross? Absurd. I understand twitter and gossip websites seeing this moment and saying "Ooooh, Tom Brady got upset during his roast" for likes and clicks but it's an obvious misrepresentation of what actually happened as confirmed by Ross himself.
Eh, I'm not sure I agree with the bold. I think it's reasonable for somebody to put like "hey, all my skeletons are fair game but not this one" or, in Brady's case, "hey go nuts on me but for person X's sake this one issue is off-limits."

Speaking personally, I believe I have very thick-skin and don't mind being the center of attention* and would totally subject myself to this but I would honestly probably tell the roasters something like, "hey, for my kids' sake, I need you to lay off any comments about their bio parents" or some such and I think that would be reasonable.

*Shocker to this board, I'm sure.

You really think the rest of the comedians huddled and made a conscious decision to cut jokes based on Brady smiling and goofing around with Ross? Absurd.
You’re missing the point. Brady agreed to do the roast only if they kept massage parlor Kraft jokes out of it. It was a stipulation beforehand when the roasters were preparing.

Nikki Glaser was on Stern, and she said the only topic that was agreed upon as off limits was reference to Brady's kids. One of the jokes she didn't do was "Tom, hopefully we can make out at the after party, and you can pretend I'm your son." She said no one knew Kraft was going to be there until everyone got there and they were about to start the roast, as he was a last-minute addition. She didn't make it sound like Kraft jokes would be off limits. Her opinion was that Tom was protecting father-figure Kraft, and she felt he was being a good soldier by standing up for him. Basically, she said he was concerned but not really angry.

Reactions: Zow
A roast should be a roast no stipulations. If you have stipulations, get lost. You don't really want to be roasted.

Eh, I'm not sure I agree with the bold. I think it's reasonable for somebody to put like "hey, all my skeletons are fair game but not this one" or, in Brady's case, "hey go nuts on me but for person X's sake this one issue is off-limits."

Speaking personally, I believe I have very thick-skin and don't mind being the center of attention* and would totally subject myself to this but I would honestly probably tell the roasters something like, "hey, for my kids' sake, I need you to lay off any comments about their bio parents" or some such and I think that would be reasonable.

They made the most personal jokes about Brady, about his divorce. There was a joke about teammate committing suicide!! But Robert Kraft massage jokes were off-limits? And you're basing this on an improvised moment where Brady tried to joke around? The roasters sets are all preloaded in the prompter. Producers scrambled to remove the Kraft-themed jokes preloaded in there after seeing Brady smiling and saying "don't say that **** again"? Ludicrous. These takes are are almost as funny as the roast itself

They made the most personal jokes about Brady, about his divorce. There was a joke about teammate committing suicide!! But Robert Kraft massage jokes were off-limits? And you're basing this on an improvised moment where Brady tried to joke around? The roasters sets are all preloaded in the prompter. Producers scrambled to remove the Kraft-themed jokes preloaded in there after seeing Brady smiling and saying "don't say that **** again"? Ludicrous. These takes are are almost as funny as the roast itself
The bold is where I think we have a fundamental disagreement. I didn't view it as Brady trying to joke around. In the moment, I thought he was serious and I still think he was. As such, I'm providing what I believe the explanation to be.

ETA: Also, do we have confirmation that "pre-loaded jokes" had to be edited? This is the first I'm hearing of that.

She said no one knew Kraft was going to be there until everyone got there and they were about to start the roast, as he was a last-minute addition.
Why does this matter? Not like Aaron Hernandez was in attendance, but still plenty of shots fired.

A roast should be a roast no stipulations. If you have stipulations, get lost. You don't really want to be roasted.
"Hey, roast me and all my transgressions all you want but just stay away from this one thing about this one important person is my life" is an unreasonable position to you??

The bold is where I think we have a fundamental disagreement. I didn't view it as Brady trying to joke around. In the moment, I thought he was serious and I still think he was. As such, I'm providing what I believe the explanation to be.

ETA: Also, do we have confirmation that "pre-loaded jokes" had to be edited? This is the first I'm hearing of that.
Ross himself said he was kidding around. You really think if others made Kraft jokes that there could have been a Will Smith Oscar type moment involving Brady and a comedian? It's a roast!!

"Hey, roast me and all my transgressions all you want but just stay away from this one thing about this one important person is my life" is an unreasonable position to you??

It opens the door to too many stipulations, diluting the roast entirely. They're just jokes, words. Meant in jest. If you want to be roasted, then get roasted.

Ross himself said he was kidding around. You really think if others made Kraft jokes that there could have been a Will Smith Oscar type moment involving Brady and a comedian? It's a roast!!
I... what?

Explain why no other comedian made a happy ending Kraft joke then? It was low hanging fruit and obvious to joke about. There were plenty of other d riding and gay type of jokes thrown at Julian Edelmans way so it’s not like that was some taboo topic.

I... what?
You're saying Brady was actually upset. So I'm asking do you think Brady would have slapped the **** out of someone if they made another Kraft joke?

She said no one knew Kraft was going to be there until everyone got there and they were about to start the roast, as he was a last-minute addition.
Why does this matter? Not like Aaron Hernandez was in attendance, but still plenty of shots fired.
She didn't explain it, but I took it as maybe he would have been more of an acceptable target if he wasn't in attendance. She did go on to say that it was a three-hour live show without any commercials, so there wouldn't be a way for people to change what was on the teleprompter (that was scrolling non-stop). Again, she said other than Brady's kids, anything else was fair game. But you would think there would have been more Kraft jabs if he allowed to be a target.

Explain why no other comedian made a happy ending Kraft joke then? It was low hanging fruit and obvious to joke about. There were plenty of other d riding and gay type of jokes thrown at Julian Edelmans way so it’s not like that was some taboo topic.
Someone else wrote they didn't know Kraft would even be there. Usually the jokes focus on the person being roasted and those on-stage roasting him. How many Kraft jokes should have been done at Tom Brady's roast in your opinion?

Someone else wrote they didn't know Kraft would even be there. Usually the jokes focus on the person being roasted and those on-stage roasting him. How many Kraft jokes should have been done at Tom Brady's roast in your opinion?
Was Aaron Hernandez in attendance?

I'm not sure.

I'm not sure.
Ok then. Proved my point. Hernandez is DEAD and got plenty of shots fired at him.

I'm not sure.
Ok then. Proved my point. Hernandez is DEAD and got plenty of shots fired at him.
I think it proves my point. Those jokes are infinitely more offensive than the tame "would you like a massage" joke and they stayed in the show.

I'm not sure.
I think it proves my point. Those jokes are infinitely more offensive than the tame "would you like a massage" joke and they stayed in the show.
Now you’re just gaslighting. :lmao:

How about we just look at Brady’s set. He literally roasted Bill Belicheck for banging some random girl caught on a Ring camera. Made a joke about a dead ex teammate. Borderline racist jabs at Randy Moss. Julian Edelman being a stalking d rider. But not one single mention of Robert Kraft when the joke was easily there for the taking. Seems pretty telling what he deemed to be off limits.

I'm not sure.
Now you’re just gaslighting. :lmao:

How about we just look at Brady’s set. He literally roasted Bill Belicheck for banging some random girl caught on a Ring camera. Made a joke about a dead ex teammate. Borderline racist jabs at Randy Moss. Julian Edelman being a stalking d rider. But not one single mention of Robert Kraft when the joke was easily there for the taking. Seems pretty telling what he deemed to be off limits.
OK. Don't stop believing.

All of them.

I can't believe what this topic turned in to.

All I know is I don't recall ever seeing anyone being roasted get up and approach the roaster.....ever.
Tom did it and I 100% believe it was authentic.

And I think the fact no other roaster even tocuhed on the subject supports that theory.

Users who are viewing this thread