What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roast of Tom Brady on Netflix Live (3 Viewers)

eoMMan

Footballguy
B plus so far. Moss isn’t doing great now but Nikki Glaser was hilarious.

If you miss this tonight, it’s a must watch later on.

Was Tom serious when he told Ross to lay off Kraft?
I doubt it. Jokes about Aaron Hernadez hanged, Hamas, Brady’s ex-wife, Brady leaving his pregnant GF, Philly racist fan, on and on were flying. That was fairly mild.

The tradition at comedy roasts is that nothing is off-limits, and the more offensive the joke, the better. And for the most part, Tom Brady was a good sport about it when he was roasted on Sunday night. But one joke appeared to genuinely get under Brady’s skin.

That was a joke at the expense of Patriots owner Robert Kraft and his 2019 arrest on misdemeanor charges of soliciting at a massage parlor.

Comedian Jeff Ross, who is notorious for his ability to offend even the most good-humored subjects at roasts, began his bit about Kraft by recalling the time that Brady, then a rookie sixth-round draft pick, told Kraft, “I’m the best decision your organization has ever made.

Ross then joked that Brady added, “Would you like a massage?”

Brady then got up out of his seat, approached Ross at the lectern, and said, “Don’t say that %^&* again.” Brady’s tone and expression suggested he was serious and didn’t consider it an appropriate topic for joking

Also surprised by the lack of contributions here.

Nikki is always good. As is Ross.

I didn't care for Tom and Bert at all. Thought that was a swing and miss.
I laughed a lot at the comment about the pic and asking if he was pregnant. It looked so much like that pose.

I agree. Nikki and Ross were top tier. Also thought the dude with the mustache was right up there with them.

Also didn't think Tom and Bert were funny at all. They just stood there laughing. I could do that.

And Kevin Hart was not a good host.

Was Tom serious when he told Ross to lay off Kraft
I think yes. Not sure how else that could have been interpreted.

First time I have ever seen a person being roasted approach a roaster much less what Tom said.
Yeah just listened to Bill Simmons on the drive to the office and it sounds like he thinks that Ross crossed a line and Brady told him to shut it down. Simmons' theory is that Ross knew that was out of bounds, made the joke anyway to take the pressure off the other roasters and set the precedent, and give Tom a chance to publicly back Kraft so wins all around.

The tradition at comedy roasts is that nothing is off-limits, and the more offensive the joke, the better. And for the most part, Tom Brady was a good sport about it when he was roasted on Sunday night. But one joke appeared to genuinely get under Brady’s skin.

That was a joke at the expense of Patriots owner Robert Kraft and his 2019 arrest on misdemeanor charges of soliciting at a massage parlor.

Comedian Jeff Ross, who is notorious for his ability to offend even the most good-humored subjects at roasts, began his bit about Kraft by recalling the time that Brady, then a rookie sixth-round draft pick, told Kraft, “I’m the best decision your organization has ever made.

Brady then got up out of his seat, approached Ross at the lectern, and said, “Don’t say that %^&* again.” Brady’s tone and expression suggested he was serious and didn’t consider it an appropriate topic for joking
Thank you ChatGPT

Really not sure why the dirty old billionaire who may have gotten away with supporting a trafficking operation is out of bounds.....but whatever.

The whole night obviously shouldn't have been about it (at the end of the day, it was a roast of Brady, not Kraft) but come on....

I agree. Nikki and Ross were top tier. Also thought the dude with the mustache was right up there with them.

Also didn't think Tom and Bert were funny at all. They just stood there laughing. I could do that.

The best: Nikki Glazer and I don't think it was close. Her delivery is so great and I find it refreshing when a pretty good looking female in her own right objectifies men. I think her and Giraldo are my two favorite roasters of all time. The Gronk "even me know that isn't real money" line was the best of the night.

Funny and plenty great in their own rights: Ross, Sam Jay, Tony Hinchcliffe, Will Farrell.

Surprisingly good: Bledsoe - I thought he was brilliant and by far the best of the non-comedians. Edelman and Belichik were are also funny and Gronk being Gronk worked. Brady was good at the end.

Not funny/disappointing: Dana White (was that like a paid promo? Otherwise why we he participate?), Kim Kardashian (I actually thought her jokes were well-written and objectively funny, but she just seemed unlikeable and out of place so it didn't work), Tm and Bert (I thought I saw what they were going for but it didn't work). Schulz was all right but kinda forgettable.

I didn't like Hart's initial monologue or any of his pre-written stuff but I actually thought he got funnier as the night when on and he was just firing back at others. So, passing grade from me.

If so, that's a bit lame. Everything else seemed to be in play and if a billionaire gets arrested for misdemeanor prostitution at a rub and tug of course it's going to be made fun of.

If so, that's a bit lame. Everything else seemed to be in play and if a billionaire gets arrested for misdemeanor prostitution at a rub and tug of course it's going to be made fun of.
I think Brady was 100% serious and I also think it was really lame given that Brady himself was joking about people who got murdered.

I think Brady was 100% serious and I also think it was really lame given that Brady himself was joking about people who got murdered.

Yeah....that's the insane part. Poor Mr. Kraft is off-limits but Hernandez jokes are fine? Give me a break.

The best: Nikki Glazer and I don't think it was close. Her delivery is so great and I find it refreshing when a pretty good looking female in her own right objectifies men. I think her and Giraldo are my two favorite roasters of all time. The Gronk "even me know that isn't real money" line was the best of the night.

Funny and plenty great in their own rights: Ross, Sam Jay, Tony Hinchcliffe, Will Farrell.

Surprisingly good: Bledsoe - I thought he was brilliant and by far the best of the non-comedians. Edelman and Belichik were are also funny and Gronk being Gronk worked. Brady was good at the end.

Not funny/disappointing: Dana White (was that like a paid promo? Otherwise why we he participate?), Kim Kardashian (I actually thought her jokes were well-written and objectively funny, but she just seemed unlikeable and out of place so it didn't work), Tm and Bert (I thought I saw what they were going for but it didn't work). Schulz was all right but kinda forgettable.

I didn't like Hart's initial monologue or any of his pre-written stuff but I actually thought he got funnier as the night when on and he was just firing back at others. So, passing grade from me.
Agree with the last part about Hart. I do like that he sermed genuinely complimentary of some of the acts. Imo that is an underappreciated aspect of these.

Reactions: Zow
Bledsoe was good, but he thought he was great. Could have done without the smugness.

I didn't mind Hart. I don't think he is as funny as many think, but he did a good job overall.
I agree with Karma that his best moments were genuinely giving props when they were due.

Bledsoe was good, but he thought he was great. Could have done without the smugness.

I didn't mind Hart. I don't think he is as funny as many think, but he did a good job overall.
I agree with Karma that his best moments were genuinely giving props when they were due.
I was wondering while he was on if that was a bit of an act.

Really not sure why the dirty old billionaire who may have gotten away with supporting a trafficking operation is out of bounds.....but whatever.

The whole night obviously shouldn't have been about it (at the end of the day, it was a roast of Brady, not Kraft) but come on....
Let’s not go down that alleged trafficking route again, Henry. Please.

C'mon. He was totally kidding around. There were far harsher jokes that night night, some aimed at him that were laughed off. And he wasn't being protective of Kraft. The crux of joke was about Brady asking to touch another man. He's basically saying don't call me gay again (or I'll kick your ***). He's kind of a meathead so in his old school jock mind he thought that was a good joke. I guess it wasn't because nobody got it and apparently some didn't even know he was making a joke.

C'mon. He was totally kidding around. There were far harsher jokes that night night, some aimed at him that were laughed off. And he wasn't being protective of Kraft. The crux of joke was about Brady asking to touch another man. He's basically saying don't call me gay again (or I'll kick your ***). He's kind of a meathead so in his old school jock mind he thought that was a good joke. I guess it wasn't because nobody got it and apparently some didn't even know he was making a joke.
I don't know, I watched again this am, and the reaction after the massage joke by Ross seemed to get a reaction and Ross' reaction seemed more serious. It was a weird moment.

Seriously. Brady along with others cracked on Aaron Hernandez killing himself in prison after murdering people...but don't dare talk about Kraft being a creepy dude. WTF

I don't think it was that. People joking around about Tom's sexuality came up many more times.

I don't think it was that. People joking around about Tom's sexuality came up many more times.

I don't know, I watched again this am, and the reaction after the massage joke by Ross seemed to get a reaction and Ross' reaction seemed more serious. It was a weird moment.
So you think Brady was genuinely threatening Jeff Ross for making a joke during his own roast?

So you think Brady was genuinely threatening Jeff Ross for making a joke during his own roast?
I initially thought he was kidding or was perhaps not really prepared for the format :lol:

Is very weird that this was the line that couldn't be crossed if he was serious. The whole thing roast thing is pretty strange TBH in this day and age and maybe he just wasn't ready. The jokes that came after were way, way worse.

I initially thought he was kidding or was perhaps not really prepared for the format :lol:

Is very weird that this was the line that couldn't be crossed if he was serious. The whole thing roast thing is pretty strange TBH in this day and age and maybe he just wasn't ready. The jokes that came after were way, way worse.
He tried to improvise and it got misconstrued. The guy has one job. Sit there and laugh at the jokes. Don't try to be funny while the goat roastmaster is doing his thing.

He tried to improvise and it got misconstrued. The guy has one job. Sit there and laugh at the jokes. Don't try to be funny while the goat roastmaster is doing his thing.
Hard to say for sure. Weird moment. Whole thing is kind of weird honestly. But I enjoyed watching the parts I did.

I don't know, but it was weird the couple times Brady went over - one was that shot and the other was Gronk talking about his sisters.

At this point neither would surprise me - either there actually were a couple things he thought were too far (or gave as topics not to go to) or he was just messing around. Just saying I thought Ross' tone was more serious than normal when he came over. :shrug:

I don't know, but it was weird the couple times Brady went over - one was that shot and the other was Gronk talking about his sisters.

At this point neither would surprise me - either there actually were a couple things he thought were too far (or gave as topics not to go to) or he was just messing around. Just saying I thought Ross' tone was more serious than normal when he came over. :shrug:
I don't recall watching any other roasts other than some infomercial for a video of the Rat Pack doing these way back, but some of these jokes were a bit much to be getting from friends. I get that's the thing but man.

A bizarre event but I did laugh quite a bit at the complete "over the topness". I don't know why anyone would sign up to do this outside of getting a ton of cash which Brady already has.

Nikki Glasser was hilarious. I loved her line to Edelman when asking how he got to the event. I’ll leave it at that so true about how many see Edelman’s career

Seems like we’ll find out eventually. Either Brady and Ross will both refuse to comment which means Brady was serious, Ross will comment saying Brady was all in fun and not upset, or Ross will get asked and confirm that Brady really was upset. Ross strikes me as the type of guy that will be a straight shooter when asked. And he WILL be asked eventually.

I don't recall watching any other roasts other than some infomercial for a video of the Rat Pack doing these way back, but some of these jokes were a bit much to be getting from friends. I get that's the thing but man.

A bizarre event but I did laugh quite a bit at the complete "over the topness". I don't know why anyone would sign up to do this outside of getting a ton of cash which Brady already has.
Yeah, these jokes are right in line with all the recent ones I've seen. I watch a lot of them - Trump, James Franco, the Hoff, Shatner, etc.

that and the whole "Id shoot my BF in the face for a lotto ticket..." line had me rolling.

I watch a lot of them - Trump, James Franco, the Hoff, Shatner, etc.
The best ones are when the subject inspires genuine anger, scorn and ridicule. The Chevy Chase and Larry the Cable guy roasts set the bar very high.

Chevy sitting in a chair wearing dark sunglasses as one person after another stepped up to the podium and pummeled him never fails to amuse.

Larry the Cable Guy has zero street cred amongst comedians. They think he is awful. All-time great moment in these roasts is when Greg Giraldo looked over at Larry and screamed: How the **** are you so popular?

Yep, that's why I asked about it. I watched it twice last night and legit couldn't tell if it was a serious interaction or not.

I think subjecting themselves to the roast actually helped the images of Sheen, Trump, and Bieber. It shows one can be a good sport and take a joke.

In fact, I can't think of any roast subject who I thought came away looking worse than going into the roast.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JAA

I think subjecting themselves to the roast actually helped the images of Sheen, Trump, and Bieber. It shows one can be a good sport and take a joke.

In fact, I can think of any roast subject who I thought came away looking worse than going into the roast.
I don't get wanting to get these jokes aired out from your friends while you sit there. It's very weird to me. I did watch large chunks of it tho :lol:

For Brady didn't think he really needed to do this for any PR fix and def not money. That being said there's no way I'd picture Tiger Woods or MJ do this and they are the only names I know of on this level so good for him I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread