What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rising Costs Of Family Outings (1 Viewer)

Baseball stadiums are definitely massively upgraded from when I was a kid.  Lined with real restaurants and 20 different breweries every 200ft you walk.  Long gone are the days of choosing from cracker jacks or chips with fake cheese sauce as your meal.

Still, I think a bigger part of the expense is that the richest capitalists have found another way to make it an investment.  A big dog buys up all of the tickets so every game is "sold out", and then controls the prices on stubhub, vividseats, etc.  And they've figured out they can make more money buy filling half the stadium at $80-$100/ticket vs. letting anyone ever see a $10 ticket again.

Again though, the crazy part is just how much money everyone does seem to have.  People are on facebook all day "the economy is terrible everyone is broke we're all struggling right now! Brb I got bored for a minute so I'm gonna jump on stubhub and spend $400 on tickets for a game I really only kinda want to go to and will probably leave in the 6th inning".

I feel personally attacked ;)

FWIW tickets to see my awful "MLB" team are pretty cheap, $9 or $13 for the cheapest. And there's lots of ways to get discounts on the slightly more expensive ones. I really only get bled dry if/when I give in to my kids' pleas for merch.

Still, I think a bigger part of the expense is that the richest capitalists have found another way to make it an investment.  A big dog buys up all of the tickets so every game is "sold out", and then controls the prices on stubhub, vividseats, etc. 
Yep. 

Two years ago I logged onto the Chiefs ticket site on the day they released single game tickets to the general public. I was there before the designated time (10:00 am), and by 10:00:30 all tickets were sold for the season. Not a face value ticket to be had.

At 10:01 I checked all the stubhubs, etc and guess what? Great seats available! At triple the cost!

I remember when I was younger if that was the case there would be 1000 people walking around outside the stadium holding up tickets.  Now on stubhub/vividseats we could watch all of the ticket prices increase at the same time every hour closer to the game. It was definitely being controlled like airlines, where they'd rather a bunch of tickets go unsold than people see cheap tickets available right before the game.
some (not sure how many) teams are monitoring those sites to see how frequently season ticket holders are selling their tickets and then revoking their rights if they sell too often. ostensibly to tamp down scalpers online. but you also do not have paper tickets anymore so you either sell them through Ticketmaster and the buyer pays an exorbitant premium due to fees, or you can transfer them via the team site (controlled by Ticketmaster) to someone and hope they pay you via paypal, etc. but those are also tracked.

so if you have season tickets for 8 NFL home games and, for whatever reason, you sell 6 of those games you might be in danger of losing access to them.

had surgery during football season 2020 and couldn't go to the games.. my anxiety about possibly losing the seats for reasons i could not control was real. 

I think a lot of this is simple supply and demand, and demand isn't going away.

In the "Vacation dilemma" thread, a bunch of people basically said "Disney in the summer? Too crowded. Hard pass."  Every time my wife and I go out to eat, we try to go at off hours to avoid waiting forever, as every restaurant, from fast casual to local high-end, are packed at mealtime. Recently, we were in the mall, and there's a giant line at Build-a-Bear. Yes, we complain at $4/gallon gas, but that's not stopping folks from lining up for a stuffed animal. 

As long as stadiums / restaurants / etc are hopping, the price will be high. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We flat out refuse to do Disney. The price would be similar to a decent used car or a pontoon boat. Or a year of college. 

Minor league baseball and hockey is still affordable but we won’t attend any major league sports events. 

we’ll hit a water park during the week, I adjusted my schedule to get every other Monday off. Half price during the week. We don’t buy lunch there but we’ll get ice cream. 

Thankfully we don’t particularly enjoy most of these outings, prefer the lake or pool during the summer, local state parks, other hiking, disc golf, etc. 

5 kids, y’all can do the math on these outings. 💸💸💸
Places I've gone to recently:

Yosemite National Park with 10 family members & friends in May 2022: entrance fee of $35 per car, 2 cars. Curry Village, 2 tents at ~$225 per night. Brought some fruit, water, veer, and wine, but food wasn't that expensive in the park. 

CB Smith Park in Broward County in June 2022. $1.50 per person. Water slides and kiddie water park $5pp. Lots of Jamaican food brought by large group of friends of SO, including vegan mac and cheese and shepherd's pie!

Wakulla Springs near Tallahassee in Aug 2016 after my daughter's graduation from FSU. $6 per car, $2pp.  My young nieces and nephews had a blast jumping into the 68 degree water where Tarzan used to swim. Blue Springs and canoeing at Juniper Springs are also awesome and affordable

Many cities have a city pass which makes multiple attractions more affordable.

Confession: when my kids were younger, 20-25 years ago, we made multiple trips to the Disney Parks and Busch Gardens in Tampa. It was much cheaper then, and we took advantage of generous gifts by doing time share promotions, which also offered breakast. The Florida Resident pass was also a bargain during what used to be off-times. We used the hotel booklets to find hotels, usually ~$40 per nite IIRC. I remember during one trip or two, we ate lots of whoppers when they were $0.99. Buffets were also a bargain, and hit among the visiting Brits.

Recently, we were in the mall, and there's a giant line at Build-a-Bear. Yes, we complain at $4/gallon gas, but that's not stopping folks from lining up for a stuffed animal. 
It's over $6/gallon here in CA.  Ugh

Places I've gone to recently:

Yosemite National Park with 10 family members & friends in May 2022: entrance fee of $35 per car, 2 cars. Curry Village, 2 tents at ~$225 per night. Brought some fruit, water, veer, and wine, but food wasn't that expensive in the park. 

CB Smith Park in Broward County in June 2022. $1.50 per person. Water slides and kiddie water park $5pp. Lots of Jamaican food brought by large group of friends of SO, including vegan mac and cheese and shepherd's pie!

Wakulla Springs near Tallahassee in Aug 2016 after my daughter's graduation from FSU. $6 per car, $2pp.  My young nieces and nephews had a blast jumping into the 68 degree water where Tarzan used to swim. Blue Springs and canoeing at Juniper Springs are also awesome and affordable

Many cities have a city pass which makes multiple attractions more affordable.

Confession: when my kids were younger, 20-25 years ago, we made multiple trips to the Disney Parks and Busch Gardens in Tampa. It was much cheaper then, and we took advantage of generous gifts by doing time share promotions, which also offered breakast. The Florida Resident pass was also a bargain during what used to be off-times. We used the hotel booklets to find hotels, usually ~$40 per nite IIRC. I remember during one trip or two, we ate lots of whoppers when they were $0.99. Buffets were also a bargain, and hit among the visiting Brits.
Don’t get me wrong, we travel. I’ll have taken 5 vacations this year. Lake Martin (near Auburn U), Gulf shores, Costa Rica, Indianapolis (family plus the bare naked ladies concert), and in the fall, Hilton head. We almost always rent a house and cook with a dinner or two out to check the local stuff. None of those vacations included all 7 of us. But I went each time :)  

I think a lot of this is simple supply and demand, and demand isn't going away.

In the "Vacation dilemma" thread, a bunch of people basically said "Disney in the summer? Too crowded. Hard pass."  Every time my wife and I go out to eat, we try to go at off hours to avoid waiting forever, as every restaurant, from fast casual to local high-end, are packed at mealtime. Recently, we were in the mall, and there's a giant line at Build-a-Bear. Yes, we complain at $4/gallon gas, but that's not stopping folks from lining up for a stuffed animal. 

As long as stadiums / restaurants / etc are hopping, the price will be high. 
build a bears expensive too. Brought my two recently and two bears with one outfit each cost me $120. 

I feel personally attacked ;)

FWIW tickets to see my awful "MLB" team are pretty cheap, $9 or $13 for the cheapest. And there's lots of ways to get discounts on the slightly more expensive ones. I really only get bled dry if/when I give in to my kids' pleas for merch.
Yep. Bleacher seats at tiger stadium, sometimes right behind a pillar. Good times. 

Yeah things are a little crazy right now.  Went to movies... $40ish just for tickets with the "online convenience fees" for me and 2 kids.  Then a good $45ish for popocorn, drinks and candy.

As for Disney, we live local so at least when we go there is no travel.  But the tickets?  Insane.  Fortunately my mom is neighbors/friends with someone wayyyy high up there, so we can get "friends & family" tickets.  We went a few years ago and just had to buy one adult ticket... other adult ticket and kids' tickets were given to us.  Otherwise I don't think we could afford to go.

Kids aren't really into sports, although my daughter expressed interest in going to a baseball game for some reason.  I haven't looked at ticket prices but we'd be going to see the Angels, not Dodgers. 

If our boys are with us, even five guys is $50 with no drinks (pick up, eat at home).
:lmao:  I went there on Saturday, just me, triple bacon cheese and regular fries, $25 even. You must not be feeding the boys.

I like 5 guys but F that. Won't be back.

:lmao:  I went there on Saturday, just me, triple bacon cheese and regular fries, $25 even. You must not be feeding the boys.

Yeah but five guys is like 3 meals in one. 
we get Chinese every week. 6 meals, $60 gives the 7 of us a dinner and a lunch. Not great but doable. The only time we go to another restaurant with kids are birthdays. 

I never eat there anymore, just pick up. $12 for 4 drinks, 😂. We had Cajun fries, two little cheeseburgers, two hot dogs and a cheeseburger. Just about $50 with tip.

I didn’t even know they had a triple. The cheeseburger is a double and it’s gotta be $12 with bacon.

I never eat there anymore, just pick up. $12 for 4 drinks, 😂. We had Cajun fries, two little cheeseburgers, two hot dogs and a cheeseburger. Just about $50 with tip.

I didn’t even know they had a triple. The cheeseburger is a double and it’s gotta be $12 with bacon.
I rarely eat there but put in a big day Saturday and just had a hankering. I probably go twice a year? So downloaded the app and ordered. I didn't really look and just assumed the bacon cheeseburger was a single so I added a patty. Mistakes were made...

Yeah but five guys is like 3 meals in one. 
we get Chinese every week. 6 meals, $60 gives the 7 of us a dinner and a lunch. Not great but doable. The only time we go to another restaurant with kids are birthdays. 
Pizza, subs and fast food are probably the only sort of reasonable options outside of cooking at home. Even Jersey Mike’s is rough without coupons for the big subs. You can make multiple meals but my boys will eat the giant for one meal half the time. I always look for their coupons in those magazines because the buy 2 giant get 1 free is solid. I typically get 2 meals out of mine as does my youngest and you get the benefit of being 1/6th of the way to a free sub. Publix subs are even better. Got one for lunch with a box of chicken tenders and probably $3 in blue cheese crumbles. Half left over for lunch tomorrow.

I do want to cut down on going out, we definitely do it too much.

Pizza, subs and fast food are probably the only sort of reasonable options outside of cooking at home. Even Jersey Mike’s is rough without coupons for the big subs. You can make multiple meals but my boys will eat the giant for one meal half the time. I always look for their coupons in those magazines because the buy 2 giant get 1 free is solid. I typically get 2 meals out of mine as does my youngest and you get the benefit of being 1/6th of the way to a free sub. Publix subs are even better. Got one for lunch with a box of chicken tenders and probably $3 in blue cheese crumbles. Half left over for lunch tomorrow.

I do want to cut down on going out, we definitely do it too much.
Man I love Publix. I fell in love with their smoked turkey salad. Freaking things are huge and are at a good price. Have one every Sunday.

This is a conversation I have with my wife a lot.  It's still possible to have lots of family time and outings without huge expense but you have to have certain things you are willing to do.  Hiking, camping, mountain biking, going to parks, free museums, etc.  I totally agree that the price of some of these things is crazy but it's what the market demands unfortunately.  

What I try to teach my kids and what my philosophy is - don't feel like you have to spend a bunch of money to have fun.  Some of my best memoirs growing up were from things that were dirt cheap.  Spending time with family has much more to do with the time together and to a lesser degree the activity.

Guess it’s not shocking that credit card debt is at an all time high.

It isn't.  And adjusted for inflation it's pretty much in line with income levels.  Debt loads carried by consumers has plummeted with home interest rates going down also. Plenty of money to go around. 

The cheapest tickets for MLB will always be stubhub, especially at the last-minute.
I tried that approach with concerts, but I find that at some point during the day, they just take the tickets down.  I have no idea what they do with them.  Maybe try to sell at the venue.   I've just gotten into the habit now of buying two tickets to all the shows I might want to go to when they go on sale and then decide later on whether to actually go or sell.  Even if occasionally you can't get back full price, so much cheaper for the shows that you actually wind up attending.   

In article posted by @Joe Bryant:

>>Once $18/night ($178 in today’s money), a double-bed room at Disneyland Hotel will now set you back $445.<<

There are lots of cheaper options in Kissimmee. Many less than $100.   I'm sure a Disney Hotel is great, but if a family needs to save for the cost of tickets, there are options.

>>Once $18/night ($178 in today’s money), a double-bed room at Disneyland Hotel will now set you back $445.<<

There are lots of cheaper options in Kissimmee. Many less than $100.   I'm sure a Disney Hotel is great, but if a family needs to save for the cost of tickets, there are options.
have friends that drive down from WI to Disney every year with their 4 kids. they camp somewhere nearby. which, for them is great.

what they always kind of skirt around is that they drive down in grandma & grandpa's supersized RV. not sure what is costs, but definitely more than my house. a lot more given that it's gigantic and as nice as a hotel (only slightly exaggerating).

so, super cheap campground + gas in a world class RV makes things a lot more affordable.

That's what we did.   So much more affordable that way and the place was really nice and spacious with a huge pool.  

I tried that approach with concerts, but I find that at some point during the day, they just take the tickets down.  I have no idea what they do with them.  Maybe try to sell at the venue.   I've just gotten into the habit now of buying two tickets to all the shows I might want to go to when they go on sale and then decide later on whether to actually go or sell.  Even if occasionally you can't get back full price, so much cheaper for the shows that you actually wind up attending.   
Try the day before for concerts.  A lot of comped tickets hit the market late - including very good ones.  

Just an add on, My daughter is a massive Football fan, but it's tough to swing the tix price and the parking food for the day its gonna be well over $500...   I just got an email from the Jets for training camp tix, boom, Free Tix for the Saturday 30th first open practice...  still gonna cost me some $$ to cross a few bridges and gas, but the experience should make for a fun day for us...

I might grab a pre-season game as an alternative down the line as well, to continue to manage costs.. 

I don't know about other teams, but this used to be a great thing to do for the Vikings.  They would have training camp in Mankato, which is about 1 hr from the Twin cities (2 1/2 hours from me). Tickets to practice were free and Parking was $10.  They used to do a joint practice with the Chiefs when the Chiefs had camp in Wisconsin so I would take my sons up for the day when they had the joint practice.  It wasn't a game, but you were a lot closer to the players watching practice and had a really good chance of getting autographs when they went back to the dorms.  It was a much more memorable experience for them than a game.  Of course now that they have the new team HQ in the cities, they have training camp there and they charge for tickets (I think it is around $25, but I haven't been to a camp since they moved it to the cities).  @ChiefD I am not sure where the Chiefs have camp now, but it may be worth looking into because it could be a much better experience for a lot less Money, because like you said it is insane what it costs to go to an NFL game now.

i'm happy that i can afford these things.  that being said, we splurge on big things and rarely go out in course of normal life.  my kid turned 16 this week.  easily dropped a few racks on all the hoopla.  but that includes a trip to SF, a buegie bday party on the sand in laguna beach, disney land for 7, and she flew to maui today(staying with family)  still way cheaper than a car.  look at her!!  damn kid is living the dream.  she also went to a 2 week sleep away camp as well.

the more i think about it, we barely spend any money, day to day.  for example, it's my anniversary today.  we are happily eating at home.

i'm happy that i can afford these things.  that being said, we splurge on big things and rarely go out in course of normal life.  my kid turned 16 this week.  easily dropped a few racks on all the hoopla.  but that includes a trip to SF, a buegie bday party on the sand in laguna beach, disney land for 7, and she flew to maui today(staying with family)  still way cheaper than a car.  look at her!!  damn kid is living the dream.  she also went to a 2 week sleep away camp as well.

the more i think about it, we barely spend any money, day to day.  for example, it's my anniversary today.  we are happily eating at home.
I do the same. I’m fairly frugal in my day to day life but I’ll plan a couple big trips per year and go out with a good friend of mine to a high end restaurant once a month. 

Can't take my family of 5 to a Chiefs game.  If I pick the worse game on their schedule (Jags), I'm looking at:

Tickets: $450.

Parking: $60

So $510 just to get into the stadium.  I have to feed three kids for 3 hours, which if you have teenagers you have to feed them constantly. So figure another $200.

$710 for a day of activity. Can't do it.  
Our tab was about that amount. We haven't told the kids yet because it's for one of their birthday's, but there will be no food purchases at the stadium. If you're hungry we'll be at a tailgate for several hours before kickoff. Mom and dad are having a couple beers though. 

This is a conversation I have with my wife a lot.  It's still possible to have lots of family time and outings without huge expense but you have to have certain things you are willing to do.  Hiking, camping, mountain biking, going to parks, free museums, etc.  I totally agree that the price of some of these things is crazy but it's what the market demands unfortunately.  

What I try to teach my kids and what my philosophy is - don't feel like you have to spend a bunch of money to have fun.  Some of my best memoirs growing up were from things that were dirt cheap.  Spending time with family has much more to do with the time together and to a lesser degree the activity.
We try to do big activities. Took our youngest for a long weekend in Disney like I did the others when they were that age in April. Took them all to see Chesney early June. Did a long weekend at Lake Michigan late June with Billy Joel at ND Stadium in the middle. Did a few days in Pittsburgh early this month. Skipping anything of consequence in Aug to fund all of that. Then doing a Browns game in Oct. We'll probably run out of discretionary spending late in the calendar year then hunker down for winter and stash some dollars away then start it all over again in March. 

Most everything in between is very economical. We don't do beach vacations; we do beach days. And when we do beach vacations it's at a lake house in a small cabin split between as many other families as we can fit under that roof. We generally only eat out during non big activity months (not now). When we do go out we eat before we go then just buy a few beers with our friends at the bar. We do almost all of our food prep at home and I am known as being that guy that shows up to a 5 hour track meet with a cooler full of healthy foods rather than paying $5 a pop for a sno-cone. We go to free outdoor concerts played by cover bands. Kayaking. Hiking. Museums. Metroparks. Etc. Cause while we are not paycheck to paycheck we are not wealthy. We just prioritize those experiences and have cut elsewhere to ensure they get them. 

My wife and I spend some on ourselves, but as the family grew we narrowed down to the most important things to us. I have about a $1k/yr golf habit and she spends about that on traveling broadway shows. Otherwise you can usually find us on a back deck/pool somewhere in the neighborhood sipping on a bevg, listening to jams, telling bad jokes, laughing...a lot, all while the kids run amok with their friends making memories. 

As someone with grown kids, my advice is to take as many family outings as you can afford.  Make it a priority over buying more stuff.  Children grow up and that summer where they're unable or unwilling to travel with you is coming at you fast.  Many of the best memories come from doing things together and not necessarily from activities that are expensive or far from home.

I'm thankful my daughter lives in the area and still likes to go to ballgames and shows with me but my son lives out of state and we aren't together as often as any of us would like.

Finally a fbg posts in this thread 

For sporting events at least, I think corporate seats is a significant contributor to the issue.  60 years ago, we didn't see all the good seats owned by corporations.  Limited supply and increased demand will naturally lead to an increased price.

Depending on where you live, your local public library may be a useful resource to keep prices low for certain outings.  In my town, the library has season passes to almost all of the museums, zoos, etc. in the area.  You can go get and use those passes for free.

Any interest in a companion thread with reasonably priced day trips, weekend trips and travel destinations for those of us who are counting down the minutes until we can send our little jerks back to school where they belong? Happy to start one up.

Do it.  I'm always on the lookout for day trips.  One problem is I don't think there's many folks on this board in my area.  May be worth checking out reddit now that I think about it.

MLB, at least in PIttsburgh, can be pretty affordable for a family.
No kidding. I once scalped a ticket 3 rows behind 3rd base for $5. Team was in first place. Barry Bonds, Dave Parker etc. Entire outfield seats covered by a tarp. Maybe 5,000 fans. Only in Pittsburgh.  

No kidding. I once scalped a ticket 3 rows behind 3rd base for $5. Team was in first place. Barry Bonds, Dave Parker etc. Entire outfield seats covered by a tarp. Maybe 5,000 fans. Only in Pittsburgh.  
The Pirates actually drew pretty well in 1990-92 when the team was good.

2,049,908 (6th of 12)
2,065,302 (7th of 12)
1,829,395 (7th of 12)

That's not bad for a small market team in a really crappy baseball stadium.

That was Cleveland before 1994...except for the first place thing...and the Hall of Famer's of course. I went to game where Joe Walsh was playing a concert afterward. We show up for the game, maybe 3,000 for innings 1-7 in the old 85,000 seat stadium. By the ninth inning there was probably 15,000 there. 

Users who are viewing this thread