What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Chuck Berry (1 Viewer)

Absolutely and he too suffered from a mix of racism and his own debauchery. 
By debauchery I hope you don't mean his homosexuality. Certainly racism played a part (Pat Boone had bigger hits with Tutti Frutti and Long Tall Sally than he did) and if you look at old clips on YouTube he was obviously gay (but not openly) at a time that was not cool.

Little Richard had a coke habit but that was not why he quit rock and roll at the height of his career in 1957 or 1958 - he was underpaid by Specialty Records owner Art Rupe to the tune of a paltry 1/2 cent for every record sold, meaning a million seller would get him a grand total of $5,000. He could only make money by touring (which was not like it is today) and finally burned out and quit to join the ministry. When he came back in 1963/1964 his time had passed. He developed his drug issues in late 60's early 70s, but after that was after he was already a has been.

By debauchery I hope you don't mean his homosexuality. Certainly racism played a part (Pat Boone had bigger hits with Tutti Frutti and Long Tall Sally than he did) and if you look at old clips on YouTube he was obviously gay (but not openly) at a time that was not cool.

Little Richard had a coke habit but that was not why he quit rock and roll at the height of his career in 1957 or 1958 - he was underpaid by Specialty Records owner Art Rupe to the tune of a paltry 1/2 cent for every record sold, meaning a million seller would get him a grand total of $5,000. He could only make money by touring (which was not like it is today) and finally burned out and quit to join the ministry. When he came back in 1963/1964 his time had passed. He developed his drug issues in late 60's early 70s, but after that was after he was already a has been.
I meant the drugs and orgies.

wat

Chuck Berry or Little Richard?

I meant the drugs and orgies.
Orgies? Is in autobiography, "The Life and Times of Little Richard" co-written by Charles White, he referred to himself as "Richard the Watcher" as he was a voyeur, an observer, but not a participant.  

Surely, you can find a better message board than this one.

Orgies? Is in autobiography, "The Life and Times of Little Richard" co-written by Charles White, he referred to himself as "Richard the Watcher" as he was a voyeur, an observer, but not a participant.  
Do they all look alike to you in print?

I think we are talking different things. I'm not judging LR or saying he ruined himself. I'm just talking about how his legacy and career was hurt by his behavior (and racism, exploitation). Sitting around watching orgies all night is still debaucherous. Especially in 1958.

If you are not familiar with Little Richard and his background and history - perhaps you should not comment out of ignorance.
What the hell are you talking about? This thread is about Chuck Berry's passing away, not Little Richard. 

I think we are talking different things. I'm not judging LR or saying he ruined himself. I'm just talking about how his legacy and career was hurt by his behavior (and racism, exploitation). Sitting around watching orgies all night is still debaucherous. Especially in 1958.
There is no claim that he watched orgies all night that I am a aware of, he had a "girlfriend" and he would allow her to have sex with another guy, while he watched - but I don't recall it being more than one guy or several guys, or a gang rape, or orgies (probably read that bio years ago but pretty sure I am correct).

There is no claim that he watched orgies all night that I am a aware of, he had a "girlfriend" and he would allow her to have sex with another guy, while he watched - but I don't recall it being more than one guy or several guys, or a gang rape, or orgies (probably read that bio years ago but pretty sure I am correct).
You should read more. LR partied.

What the hell are you talking about? This thread is about Chuck Berry's passing away, not Little Richard. 
You can read? I was responding to a post that said Berry was unappreciated because of racism at the time. I agreed and said that Little Richard suffered the same fate and we went on from there. This was a related part of the Chuck Berry discussion (which is allowed in this forum the last that I heard).

You should read more. LR partied.
I am sure I have read probably 100 times more content about Little Richard than you have. I can discuss official releases and unreleased and unofficial tracks from Specialty, Goldner, Mercury, Little Star, Okeh, Vee Jay, Modern, Speciality  (again) and Reprise is you wish, but, I digress as orgies and drugs in the 50s didn't end his career as you suggest.

I am sure I have read probably 100 times more content about Little Richard than you have. I can discuss official releases and unreleased and unofficial tracks from Specialty, Goldner, Mercury, Little Star, Okeh, Vee Jay, Modern, Speciality  (again) and Reprise is you wish, but, I digress as orgies and drugs in the 50s didn't end his career as you suggest.
You should start by reading my posts. 

It would have been interesting to see Berry have had some success branching out more. He had a style and it was 10/10,  but it could have been interesting if we would have branched out more. Then again, there's something to be said for the artist that finds their perfect role and owns it.

We still as recently as Jack White have guys coming up into rock with dreams of being Berry. 

Last edited by a moderator:
squistion, you've talked me down from a poor choice or two on this very board. Let me return the favor: It's an RIP thread. We're honoring Chuck Berry, not getting into potentially sociopolitical points about LR, who was indeed wildly talented. 

squistion, you've talked me down from a poor choice or two on this very board. Let me return the favor: It's an RIP thread. We're honoring Chuck Berry, not getting into potentially sociopolitical points about LR, who was indeed wildly talented. 
Dude, someone mentioned Berry's career suffered from racial discrimination and I simply commented that was also true of Little Richard and that should have ended the discussion there. However, I was then told that Richard's "debauchery" was also to blame, which I know was not true from my knowledge of his background. He quit at the height of his career in his 50's because he was burned out from overwork/ over touring. The discussion escalated from there and I was expected to meekly agree with statements I knew to be incorrect or say nothing. Sorry, if people are going mischaracterize something I know factually to be untrue, I will call them on it.

Leave it to the ####head usual suspect to turn this into a #### show about race and politics. 

R.I.P. to a true legend and one of rock's most influential musicians ever.  :thumbup:   :thumbup:

Dude, someone mentioned Berry's career suffered from racial discrimination and I simply commented that was also true of Little Richard and that should have ended the discussion there. However, I was then told that Richard's "debauchery" was also to blame, which I know was not true from my knowledge of his background. He quit at the height of his career in his 50's because he was burned out from overwork/ over touring. The discussion escalated from there and I was expected to meekly agree with statements I knew to be incorrect or say nothing. Sorry, if people are going mischaracterize something I know factually to be untrue, I will call them on it.
Well congratulations you've done it again

Well congratulations you've done it again
Thanks, you have always impressed as having expert knowledge about rock and roll pioneers such as Chuck Berry and Little Richard. Really looking forward to sharing your expertise and rememberances about Berry here. :popcorn:

Thanks, you have always impressed as having expert knowledge about rock and roll pioneers such as Chuck Berry and Little Richard. Really looking forward to sharing your expertise about Berry here. :popcorn:
Seriously???? Way to kill a thread . 

Btw mr music knowledge , my last 3 avatars have been musical heroes of mine  as is my current one . Who is it?

I took "History of Rock and Roll" for a summer class. I distinctly remember the teacher saying that Chuck Berry once gave a 3 hour concert in Cleveland in the 50s, and then stood on top of his car with an amplifier for another two hours and played for free. 

I wonder what he thought about Elvis. Was he grateful to the King for popularizing his music, or was he pissed off and jealous? 

I took "History of Rock and Roll" for a summer class. I distinctly remember the teacher saying that Chuck Berry once gave a 3 hour concert in Cleveland in the 50s, and then stood on top of his car with an amplifier for another two hours and played for free. 

I wonder what he thought about Elvis. Was he grateful to the King for popularizing his music, or was he pissed off and jealous? 
Elvis didn't do much to popularize Chuck Berry's music. Elvis popularized rock and roll, but so did Chuck Berry. They were contemporaries but not rivals.

I think Chuck was a pragmatist. He knew that Elvis had advantages that he himself would never would. But if the King brought one new fan over who might also buy a copy of "School Day", Berry wasn't gonna complain. He was a decade older than most of the other A-listers and had seen what could happen to people in the music business.

Users who are viewing this thread