What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rickie Weeks or Robinson Cano (1 Viewer)

Pretty simple....choose....

• Robinson Cano

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Rickie Weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Weeks has 40 walks in 260 ABs this season.

Cano currently has 55 walks in over 1400 career at-bats.

I can't believe we're even having this stupid conversation.
Yeah I know....two players....the same age....the same position..... this year one player leads the other in every major category but two (BB,SB)..... for their careers that one player leads the other in every major category but two (BB,SB,)....over a 162 game average said player leads the other one in every major category but three (SB,R,BB)....yet some people still think that the player who is losing all the comparisons is the better player..... You buy two tickets to a movie...one to get in and one to get out don't you?

Consider, age, minor league and college history, athleticism, speed, arm, hitting, hitting for power, speed on the basepaths, leadership and/or anything else you would like to throw into the mix.

I am strongly in favor of Weeks - his historical BA, Power, Speed and leadership all make him a more valuable player in my estimation. If you are in the Cano camp, I would love to hear your rationale (and don't give me BA, their OBP to date is roughly identical).

2007 - 29 games for Weeks, 28 for Cano (bolded/GREEN indicates better performance)

WEEKS

AB- 115

OBP - .351

HR - 5

SLG - .487

SB - 7

CS - 0

Fielding - .993

Runs - 26

RBI - 13

SO- 22

GiDP - 1

Hits - 29

Doubles - 6

Triples - 3

Team Wins - 21

CANO

AB - 108

OBP - .319

HR - 1

SLG - .352

SB - 1

CS - 2

Fielding - .982

Runs - 14

RBI - 13

SO - 24

GiDP - 3

Hits - 29

Doubles - 6

Triples - 0

Team Wins - 14

I will be happy to update as the year goes on, and will tip my hat if Cano outperforms Weeks in 2007.
Now where's that hat tip?

Cano 2-2 1R, 1HR, 1RBI tonight......

Weeks.... *cricket*, *cricket*

I don't even think Weeks is better this year than Shelley Duncan.....after all, Duncans .286/.375/.857 dwarfs Weeks.....

Weeks is more comparable to Melky.

Weeks has 40 walks in 260 ABs this season.

Cano currently has 55 walks in over 1400 career at-bats.

I can't believe we're even having this stupid conversation.
:thumbup: So I guess you'd tell me Darrell Evans is a better player than Reggie Jackson(to throw one out there) based on drawing more BBs?

Come on, the guy is in the MINORS. Cano may not be on the level of an Utley, but clearly, Weeks isn't on the level of Cano.

So I guess BBs are the end all, tell all stat :confused: Anyway, I PMed --4-- and he still has not come into this thread. Bizarre. :excited:

Thought I would update the stats -

Weeks Cano

AB - 259 409

OBP- .330 .343

HR - 5 10

SLG- .363 .477

SB - 10 2

CS - 2 4

Fielding- .976 .988

Runs - 43 57

RBI - 19 58

SO - 68 59

GiDP - 2 9

Hits - 55 124

Doubles - 16 31

Triples - 4 5

Team Wins - 58 58

**note: I did not include any of Weeks minor league stats in these calculations.

Thought I would update the stats - Weeks CanoAB - 259 409OBP- .330 .343HR - 5 10SLG- .363 .477SB - 10 2CS - 2 4Fielding- .976 .988Runs - 43 57RBI - 19 58SO - 68 59GiDP - 2 9Hits - 55 124Doubles - 16 31Triples - 4 5Team Wins - 58 58**note: I did not include any of Weeks minor league stats in these calculations.
Capella: But where are the walks?

shadyridr said:
Mr. Know-It-All said:
Thought I would update the stats - Weeks CanoAB - 259 409OBP- .330 .343HR - 5 10SLG- .363 .477SB - 10 2CS - 2 4Fielding- .976 .988Runs - 43 57RBI - 19 58SO - 68 59GiDP - 2 9Hits - 55 124Doubles - 16 31Triples - 4 5Team Wins - 58 58**note: I did not include any of Weeks minor league stats in these calculations.
Capella: But where are the walks?
OBP factors walks, so that argument would be moot. I need to reread, did Capella ask about walks?

And three more knocks for Robbie today, through the 6th inning.

But I see Weeks is back in the bigs, and he's once again better than Cano.

I'm done with this thread. Until Weeks starts to show a sembalance of the big league talent that Robinson Cano has....this thread nor the position that Weeks is better is a waste of time. I'll check back sometime next year.

Without even looking, should I infer by their ommission that Cano has outhit, out doubled and out averaged Weeks this season? I don' t know why those stats don't make it,
Because they're meaningless? Looks like somebody needs to familiarize himself with some stats other than what he sees in the daily boxscore. :loco:
I know OBP and OPS are quite en vogue as measuring sticks, but when there's two out and a man on second, I don't need a walk.
Still maybe my favorite post in the baseball forum. And he's now attacking "credibility" :hophead:

Capella said:
:confused: proven wrong..
Your credibility is in peril if you can't own up to Cano being better than Weeks.
:fishing: credibility :lmao:
Nice to see you taking a timeout from getting shredded by your fellow white sox fan and even sores to drop in here. :bye:
Nice of you to maintain a biased view of things and continue to take sides based on what the user name is and not the content of the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without even looking, should I infer by their ommission that Cano has outhit, out doubled and out averaged Weeks this season? I don' t know why those stats don't make it,
Because they're meaningless? Looks like somebody needs to familiarize himself with some stats other than what he sees in the daily boxscore. :bow:
I know OBP and OPS are quite en vogue as measuring sticks, but when there's two out and a man on second, I don't need a walk.
Still maybe my favorite post in the baseball forum. And he's now attacking "credibility" :goodposting:
Oh well, you've clearly proven your point here that Weeks is a better player. How could I possibly ignore is propensity for drawing a base on balls? You could always admit you're wrong, but you just kind of slink off into the corner and snicker at the notion that Cano is better than Weeks like some autistic knebbish. But we've established this much, Weeks does draw more walks than Cano when he's actually not hovering at the Mendoza line in the big leagues.

from rotoworld

Rickie Weeks, who is 1-for-13 with five walks since being called up, is sitting out a second straight game Thursday.The walks have allowed Weeks to score four runs in four games. However, that wasn't enough for manager Ned Yost. It's hard to tell how many more chances Weeks is going to get to prove he can help while dealing with his sore wrist. He's a poor bet for the rest of the season.
Thank goodness he's still getting those walks. They are doing great things for himself and the Brewers.

I can't find splits going back to Weeks return from his stint in the minors until the end of the season - his return marked his best health of the season and his most applicable stats. I believe what we would see is that except for hits/average (and SO - offset by BB) Weeks smoked Cano down the stretch.

I am willing to bet that Weeks posts better overall numbers than Cano next year (with an injury caveat) - catch me before the season - I'll put my money where my mouth is.

I can't find splits going back to Weeks return from his stint in the minors until the end of the season - his return marked his best health of the season and his most applicable stats. I believe what we would see is that except for hits/average (and SO - offset by BB) Weeks smoked Cano down the stretch.I am willing to bet that Weeks posts better overall numbers than Cano next year (with an injury caveat) - catch me before the season - I'll put my money where my mouth is.
Although he missed some time due to his demotion, Weeks still managed to strike out 30 times more than Cano (in over 200 fewer at bats) and had the same amount of errors (13)

I can't find splits going back to Weeks return from his stint in the minors until the end of the season - his return marked his best health of the season and his most applicable stats. I believe what we would see is that except for hits/average (and SO - offset by BB) Weeks smoked Cano down the stretch.I am willing to bet that Weeks posts better overall numbers than Cano next year (with an injury caveat) - catch me before the season - I'll put my money where my mouth is.
Although he missed some time due to his demotion, Weeks still managed to strike out 30 times more than Cano (in over 200 fewer at bats) and had the same amount of errors (13)
Struck out more? Really? I said that. What were the comparative OBP, and post minor league OPS give me those numbers and we'll chat. Also as to errors, Weeks had 3 or 4 in one game down the stretch that completely messed up his fielding percentage - he didn't make excuses, he said he wouldn't let it happen again, and he didn't.

Struck out more? Really? I said that. What were the comparative OBP, and post minor league OPS give me those numbers and we'll chat. Also as to errors, Weeks had 3 or 4 in one game down the stretch that completely messed up his fielding percentage - he didn't make excuses, he said he wouldn't let it happen again, and he didn't.
Thats funny. Where were you all summer when I was PMing you to reply in this thread?

Catch you before the season? You're a hard guy to get, we couldn't find you all summer. Before "putting your money where your mouth is", You can start with two things:1. update your first post where you agreed to keep us updated all year2. tip your cap to Cano which you promised to doStaying healthy is part of the game, and Weeks can't quite get that down. And as for smoking him down the stretch, you'd probably wouldn't be suprised to see that Cano was indeed able to outhit a minor leaguer. I had deliberately planned to let this ludicrious thread die, even as Cano looked more and more impressive through September. This attitude will only make certain that it stays in the land of the permabump.

I can't find splits going back to Weeks return from his stint in the minors until the end of the season - his return marked his best health of the season and his most applicable stats. I believe what we would see is that except for hits/average (and SO - offset by BB) Weeks smoked Cano down the stretch.

I am willing to bet that Weeks posts better overall numbers than Cano next year (with an injury caveat) - catch me before the season - I'll put my money where my mouth is.
Well that settles it. Weeks is now better than Cano defensively.

NY/NJMFDIVER said:
Catch you before the season? You're a hard guy to get, we couldn't find you all summer. Before "putting your money where your mouth is", You can start with two things:1. update your first post where you agreed to keep us updated all year2. tip your cap to Cano which you promised to doStaying healthy is part of the game, and Weeks can't quite get that down. And as for smoking him down the stretch, you'd probably wouldn't be suprised to see that Cano was indeed able to outhit a minor leaguer. I had deliberately planned to let this ludicrious thread die, even as Cano looked more and more impressive through September. This attitude will only make certain that it stays in the land of the permabump.
A. I disappeared from the thread when my account was temporarily unable to access these boards.B. Cano ended up with an arguably better season because, yes he stay healthy. His key indicators were not substantially better other than BA which is negated by the fact that Weeks had a better OBP. But I would have taken a healthy starter all year..that would have been nice.C. Weeks is a better baseball player.

NY/NJMFDIVER said:

Catch you before the season? You're a hard guy to get, we couldn't find you all summer. Before "putting your money where your mouth is", You can start with two things:1. update your first post where you agreed to keep us updated all year

2. tip your cap to Cano which you promised to do

Staying healthy is part of the game, and Weeks can't quite get that down. And as for smoking him down the stretch, you'd probably wouldn't be suprised to see that Cano was indeed able to outhit a minor leaguer.

I had deliberately planned to let this ludicrious thread die, even as Cano looked more and more impressive through September. This attitude will only make certain that it stays in the land of the permabump.
A. I disappeared from the thread when my account was temporarily unable to access these boards.B. Cano ended up with an arguably better season because, yes he stay healthy. His key indicators were not substantially better other than BA which is negated by the fact that Weeks had a better OBP. But I would have taken a healthy starter all year..that would have been nice.

C. Weeks is a better baseball player.
Well that settles it

NY/NJMFDIVER said:

Catch you before the season? You're a hard guy to get, we couldn't find you all summer. Before "putting your money where your mouth is", You can start with two things:1. update your first post where you agreed to keep us updated all year

Staying healthy is part of the game, and Weeks can't quite get that down. And as for smoking him down the stretch, you'd probably wouldn't be suprised to see that Cano was indeed able to outhit a minor leaguer.

I had deliberately planned to let this ludicrious thread die, even as Cano looked more and more impressive through September. This attitude will only make certain that it stays in the land of the permabump.
A. I disappeared from the thread when my account was temporarily unable to access these boards.B. Cano ended up with an arguably better season because, yes he stay healthy. His key indicators were not substantially better other than BA which is negated by the fact that Weeks had a better OBP. But I would have taken a healthy starter all year..that would have been nice.

I'm all for people getting banned for posting stupid things :bag:

NY/NJMFDIVER said:

Since the middle of July there's been nothing more than a 8-9 day span that didn't see you posting. Do you mean you just couldn't access the baseball board?

NY/NJMFDIVER said:

Since the middle of July there's been nothing more than a 8-9 day span that didn't see you posting. Do you mean you just couldn't access the baseball board?
I hate when that happens.

You haven't looked very hard. It's a shame, because it actually helps your case.Both players since Weeks recall on 8/10BA/SLG/OBP/HR/RBI/R/SBWeeks: .273/.553/.441/11/17/44/15Cano: .298/.451/.345/06/29/27/08I'd give the edge to Weeks over that span. Weeks had to hit leadoff for an NL team leaving him with very little opportunity to drive in runs, which is the only spot outside of BA, that Cano has a clear advantage over him.

NY/NJMFDIVER said:

Have not been to the baseball board since I posted recently. Figured I would wait for the season to play out and assess at that point given it was the first time Weeks was playing "fully" healthy all season.Thanks Limp - no, I didn't look very hard, because I knew the answer - Weeks was more productive and more valuable down the stretch than Cano. Weeks is better.

NY/NJMFDIVER said:

Have not been to the baseball board since I posted recently. Figured I would wait for the season to play out and assess at that point given it was the first time Weeks was playing "fully" healthy all season.Thanks Limp - no, I didn't look very hard, because I knew the answer - Weeks was more productive and more valuable down the stretch than Cano. Weeks is better.
So we throw out June and July when Weeks was riding the bus to Indianpollis and Des Moines?

NY/NJMFDIVER said:

So we throw out June and July when Weeks was riding the bus to Indianpollis and Des Moines?
I do. He was rehabbing/working out in order to play at the major league level. You can count em if you have to go to sleep now - I know it is going to keep you up at night having been proven wrong. Again.

NY/NJMFDIVER said:

I do. He was rehabbing/working out in order to play at the major league level. You can count em if you have to go to sleep now - I know it is going to keep you up at night having been proven wrong. Again.
Yeah, how will I ever rest having to watch Robbie Cano for the next 10 years while Weeks works out whether being whatever he'll be, if he'll stay healthy. And I don't know if you are fishing for comedy here, but if we can throw out those few games where the "better baseball player" made a handful of errors, can I also throw out those games where Cano went hitless or otherwise took away from his numbers?

You are what you are, Cano was better before this season, he was better this season, and until proven otherwise, he's a better player in a harder league.

Arguing that Player A is better than Player B based on 6 weeks of stats rather than both players entire bodies of work is ridiculous...

The OP is either :thumbup: or :loco:

Users who are viewing this thread