What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive……also recycling and phone apps (1 Viewer)

They might lose the $1 burger crowd, but if people are paying $15 for a combo, who cares?
And the people who are bothered by McDonald's prices still go, they just complain about it.
The market for McDonald's may well recalibrate. I don't think the 1% in America will wrap both arms around McDonald's fare ... but, sure, the next 10% down might well.

Actually, though ... people bothered by McDonald's prices don't always still go. Your point is taken that the company probably doesn't care about sloughing off those customers.

The market for McDonald's may well recalibrate.

From your link:
Customers' opposition to spending too much at the chain has started to directly impact McDonald's. CEO Chris Kempczinski said during the Feb. 5 earnings call that lower-income consumers (which he classified as those with a household income of $45,000 or less per year) have been visiting McDonald's less frequently because eating at home is more affordable. When they do dine at McDonald's, many lower-income guests aren't ordering as much or they're opting for less expensive menu items, according to Kempczinski.
However, McDonald's hopes to entice them back by focusing on value in 2024.
"The battleground is certainly with that low-income consumer. And I think what you're going to see as you head into 2024 is probably more attention to what I would describe as affordability," Kempczinski said.

The market for McDonald's may well recalibrate.

This does not surprise me. As someone who doesn't follow the market moves of sausage biscuits very closely (that's why I come here), I cannot believe how much they charge.
I'm pretty sure just before covid, sausage biscuits were on the $1 menu. Probably once a week on my way to work, I'd get a sausage biscuit, hash brown, and large fountain drink all off the dollar menu for a $3 breakfast.

Check that. Just downloaded the app so I'm not guessing. Double cheeseburger on the 1-2-3 dollar menu is $3.49 at my McD's across the street from the office.
McChicken $3.39
McDouble $3.49
Small Fries $2.79
4pc Nugget $2.99
My app shows:

McChicken $2.69
McDouble $2.89
Small Fries $2.19
4pc Nugget $2.19

This is the DC suburbs
McChicken $1.99
McDouble $2.99
Small Fries $2.09
4pc Nugget $2.19

This is rural Ohio

I'm pretty sure just before covid, sausage biscuits were on the $1 menu. Probably once a week on my way to work, I'd get a sausage biscuit, hash brown, and large fountain drink all off the dollar menu for a $3 breakfast.

Almost positive you're correct on the bolded, at least local to New Orleans -- the Gulf South generally having some of the lowest food prices in the nation.

I don't think our hash browns have been a flat dollar for a good dozen years, though (excepting 2-for-$1 specials that went away long ago).

Getting into the Wayback Machine:

Anyone else remember 99-cent singles at Wendy's? We had that as a regularly-recurring special until the late 1990s (sorry, @IvanKaramazov )

Took my buddy out to BWW last night for wings.
- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

Now, on the surface, that seems egregious. But, I don't get out for wing night much, haven't seen my friend in months, he spent the morning putting a part of fence back together in exchange for taking him out for wings/beer/sports and so I wasn't irritated by the cost. The gal who served us has been our server before, she's terrific, on point, asks questions about us, never rushes us and it was a pretty slow night. I had a $100 bill, just told her to keep the change, she was super grateful and I went home very happy.

Yeah, it costs more to go out to eat. I don't get to do it very often with friends and with a vegan wife, wing night is a non-starter, so it was a little treat for me. Good conversation, lotta laughs, put a smile on the server's face. 10/10 would do again.

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

Now, on the surface, that seems egregious. But, I don't get out for wing night much, haven't seen my friend in months, he spent the morning putting a part of fence back together in exchange for taking him out for wings/beer/sports and so I wasn't irritated by the cost. The gal who served us has been our server before, she's terrific, on point, asks questions about us, never rushes us and it was a pretty slow night. I had a $100 bill, just told her to keep the change, she was super grateful and I went home very happy.

Yeah, it costs more to go out to eat. I don't get to do it very often with friends and with a vegan wife, wing night is a non-starter, so it was a little treat for me. Good conversation, lotta laughs, put a smile on the server's face. 10/10 would do again.

How much were the beers each?

Your post I think is illustrative.

Yes, most people would say 90$ for 4 beers and wings is too much. (Assuming a normal 20% tip)

I fully understand you are ok with it and understand why.

Paying back a friend for helping.
Great server
Don't normally get to have wings
Ability to tip well

Those things are all reasonable.

But probably not sustainable for most restaurants to depend on every customer seeing those things.

The average wing place needs a steady stream of regular customers to keep the doors open.

For the average guy, $90 for 4 beers and wings might be an issue.

Which I think is the whole point of the thread.

And on that note @General Malaise of a great server, I fully understand accepting a higher cost for the food is easier with a great server.

I find that interesting for the folks that prefer minimal or even no interaction if possible.

I'm guessing for those folks, a great server wouldn't impact the way they see the cost of the meal. Which is bad news for the restaurant.

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

Yes, most people would say 90$ for 4 beers and wings is too much. (Assuming a normal 20% tip)

Great server
Ability to tip well

But probably not sustainable for most restaurants to depend on every customer seeing those things.

The average wing place needs a steady stream of regular customers to keep the doors open.

The beers are ridiculous - $10 each for a tall. Silly expensive, but I knew that going in.

And on that note @General Malaise of a great server, I fully understand accepting a higher cost for the food is easier with a great server.

I find that interesting for the folks that prefer minimal or even no interaction if possible.

I'm guessing for those folks, a great server wouldn't impact the way they see the cost of the meal. Which is bad news for the restaurant.
a server is like a tv football announcer, pointless. i don’t go for the server, i go for the food. i don’t watch because romo is doing the game, i want to watch the game.

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

gonna pull an old man here and obviously this was eons ago……i went to suny buffalo for 1 year. we used to get 50 wings delivered for 4.50, it came with celery and blue cheese. can’t compare anymore, but i always laugh when i think about wings.

When I was growing up (1970s-80s), my parents almost never took the family to go out to eat. My mom cooked dinner virtually every night -- maybe twice a month we'd do Popeye's or Chinese takeout. We'd got out to eat most Mother's Days, but that would be it. What I learned at the time was that eating out -- anywhere, at any level of restaurant -- was a sign of wealth. We had five kids and my dad was a blue-collar worker -- our class of people didn't do restaurants. We just figured (if we ever thought about it) that Old New Orleans money + tourists kept all the restaurants open.

I was surprised to learn, as I left the house and lived on my own ... that I could now afford meals out with friends. Sure, paying for myself instead of seven people (as my parents would have had to have done) made it a lot easier. But more importantly, the ground rules seemed to be changing somehow -- restaurants kind of started "reaching down" to more kinds of people. Those with less means. This was in the early-to-mid 1990s.

Now, I wonder if there's some kind of reversal going on. Dining out seems to be returning back to the province of the wealthy (if you don't have to sweat restaurant prices or high tips, you're categorically wealthy IMHO -- the specific numbers in your bankbook don't matter). And at the moment -- at the moment, now -- there seem to be enough wealthy people around to keep restaurants more or less afloat. Maybe some classes of restaurants are feeling a pinch while other types of restaurants are just fine. I just sense that relationship between restaurants and wider society is changing back to how it was when I was growing up.

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

gonna pull an old man here and obviously this was eons ago……i went to suny buffalo for 1 year. we used to get 50 wings delivered for 4.50, it came with celery and blue cheese. can’t compare anymore, but i always laugh when i think about wings.

I fully admit paying $34 for 20 traditional wings is outrageous, but....it filled both of us up, came with carrots, celery a bunch of dipping sauces and having made wings a number of times, I can never get them crispy enough for my liking.

The beers are ridiculous - $10 each for a tall.
Ballpark it at a pint each, or larger? Some places used to do 32-oz beers for ~$5 maybe 25-30 years ago. $10 for that size beer today would be reasonable.

22 ounces is their tall. And I'm getting premium beer here - Boneyard RPM which is my favorite. I could have had tall Miller Lites for $5 but I'm long passed that phase.

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

I fully admit paying $34 for 20 traditional wings is outrageous, but....it filled both of us up, came with carrots, celery a bunch of dipping sauces and having made wings a number of times, I can never get them crispy enough for my liking.
think you saw my air fryer recipe. give it a try with like 10 wings. make sure the basket is sprayed or non stick. lightly dust the wings with some salt, cayenne and flour. layer them and go 12 mins at 360. flip and then 12 mins at 360. flip and finish at 390 for 5 mins. did this last week and they were about perfect. or

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

yeah, paying $1/wing hurts ...that's gut wrenching

and the crispy? - I always ask for them naked and fried "hard" - "make'em float!"

I love good fried chicken (especially my mom's who's father ran a poultry house) but I really want my wings without a flour crust - I want all that crispy skin

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

yeah, paying $1/wing hurts ...that's gut wrenching

and the crispy? - I always ask for them naked and fried "hard" - "make'em float!"

I love good fried chicken (especially my mom's who's father ran a poultry house) but I really want my wings without a flour crust - I want all that crispy skin
you can go without the flour in the above, but a little bit helps grab the moisture and makes them crispier.

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

Great server
Ability to tip well

The beers are ridiculous - $10 each for a tall. Silly expensive, but I knew that going in.

That's understandable. Craft Beer in a 22oz is going to be expensive.

It's all part of the bigger picture. I totally get why you'd pay that in that situation. I'm there too.

I just wonder how many other folks are like you and me.

And to add to @Chemical X post about servers being pointless, I disagree completely and think they matter a ton. And even beyond servers, other folks in the service part of the restaurant can make a big difference in the overall experience.

And to add to @Chemical X post about servers being pointless, I disagree completely and think they matter a ton. And even beyond servers, other folks in the service part of the restaurant can make a big difference in the overall experience.
i’ll agree to disagree. my recent experiences are someone takes your order, maybe or maybe not you see them again. someone runs the food. someone will return maybe for a check-in. dessert or coffee, bring check. i guess nowadays in the service industry i expect nothing. it’s kind of a rotational job, where you may see someone in march and they are gone by april. without a personal connection or seeing the same folks time after time, staff has little impact on me.

i’ll agree to disagree. my recent experiences are someone takes your order, maybe or maybe not you see them again. someone runs the food. someone will return maybe for a check-in. dessert or coffee, bring check. i guess nowadays in the service industry i expect nothing. it’s kind of a rotational job, where you may see someone in march and they are gone by april. without a personal connection or seeing the same folks time after time, staff has little impact on me.
You guys are both correct. If I’m at a more casual place with quick orders, the server doesn’t matter much and I’d be fine with a little kiosk to order. If I’m at a nice place like a good steakhouse, a server can make the experience great. I remember one anniversary dinner where the manager came over multiple times and the server brought out extra chef special hors d’oeuvres and deserts. Everything was amazing and timed perfectly. I still talk about that as it was one of a handful of best eating experiences in my life. Another time at chain steakhouse more recently with my sons was awesome in part due to a fantastic waitress. We closed down the place and just had an amazing evening. When I go to Chili’s, I’m not expecting anything close and I’d be fine with no server as long as the food came out fine.

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

Did you make sure to use the app for any discounts? IIRC BOGO Thursday is boneless though, Tuesday is BOGO traditional?

You guys are both correct. If I’m at a more casual place with quick orders, the server doesn’t matter much and I’d be fine with a little kiosk to order.

I don't agree and I don't think he's correct in my opinion. Sure, a server at a nice restaurant has lots more opportunity to do more. But even at a fast place, the other person matters. I had that this morning getting coffee and kolaches with counter service. Person helping me was super friendly and helpful. And made the experience better.

Less for more $$$. No wonder restaurants go out of business right and left. It’s just not that enjoyable when you feel ripped off. I don’t mind the $100 to $150 meal when it’s worth it, but so much of the eating out experience has eroded and the product given isn’t worth the price. Especially at these bar and grille places. My wife and I spent $50 after tip on two hamburgers, one with fries and one with onion rings. No alcohol. That is ridiculous. The food wasn’t that great and the rings were saturated with grease.

Last edited:
Agree- we have a couple local places we go to and we usually sit at the bar-- my wife and I have our drinks in front of us before we get our coats off.. nice to know your bartenders

You guys are both correct. If I’m at a more casual place with quick orders, the server doesn’t matter much and I’d be fine with a little kiosk to order.

I don't agree and I don't think he's correct in my opinion. Sure, a server at a nice restaurant has lots more opportunity to do more. But even at a fast place, the other person matters. I had that this morning getting coffee and kolaches with counter service. Person helping me was super friendly and helpful. And made the experience better.
Counter service screams two things, reasonable prices and the server is also running your food, basically doing everything. That’s not what I think of as a fast/casual place. A diner/local shop like that is a different experience than a chain restaurant or similar.

If you go to Chili’s, the server takes the order and often someone else is running the order out and often getting extra sauces and refills. I’d say it’s about 50-50 at those places whether you have to say something to get your check and/or a refill. I don’t think they add enough that it changes my experience. Chili’s is good if the food is good and the server/runner don’t mess up. I’d be fine with a kiosk to order and pay.

Agree- we have a couple local places we go to and we usually sit at the bar-- my wife and I have our drinks in front of us before we get our coats off.. nice to know your bartenders
Again, completely different thing. Back when I lived outside of DC, I worked in an office and went to lunch with two friends almost every day. PIA commutes so our break from work. We went to some fast food places but most often we went to a higher end restaurant that had a great bar. The bartenders, who occasionally showed us their bikini picks from biker week, never charged us for drinks (sodas, we were working). Even with a decent tip, we’d get out of there for $10-12 and have a great burger or appetizer type lunch. Loved going there and the bartenders were a very nice part of the experience. I’ll never go to Chili’s or a place like that enough to come close to that. Different scenarios IMHO.

Its not fair to compare just the price between now and then for these fast casual places. These places have a far more interesting environment and menu than they had years ago. Its like comparing just price on the movie theatre experience. Really is night and day.

Counter service screams two things, reasonable prices and the server is also running your food, basically doing everything. That’s not what I think of as a fast/casual place. A diner/local shop like that is a different experience than a chain restaurant or similar.

If you go to Chili’s, the server takes the order and often someone else is running the order out and often getting extra sauces and refills. I’d say it’s about 50-50 at those places whether you have to say something to get your check and/or a refill. I don’t think they add enough that it changes my experience. Chili’s is good if the food is good and the server/runner don’t mess up. I’d be fine with a kiosk to order and pay.

It’s definitely becoming more commonplace, went to Texas Roadhouse a few months ago and the server just told me to run my card at the little table side kiosk
I also see a lot of places have a QR code on the receipt that you can pay on

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

Great server
Ability to tip well

That's not too bad, 5ish for a regular size beer. 35 for 20 wings is nuts. $1.75 a wing lol

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

Did you make sure to use the app for any discounts? IIRC BOGO Thursday is boneless though, Tuesday is BOGO traditional?

I do use their app and almost had enough points for 20 traditional but just figured I'd save that for another day.

I know Thursday is bogo boneless but I don't want chicken nuggets. I want wings with bones.

- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

I do use their app and almost had enough points for 20 traditional but just figured I'd save that for another day.

I know Thursday is bogo boneless but I don't want chicken nuggets. I want wings with bones.

Agreed. It's rough enough at BWW. Chicken Nugget Wings at BWW is a bridge too far.

I don't get to do it very often with friends and with a vegan wife, wing night is a non-starter, so it was a little treat for me.
For this alone it was worth a hundy. The fact that your friend is your landscaper is bonus.

You have no idea how blessed I am to have this guy in my life. He usually doesn't get in from Mexico until March. This year, he showed up in early Feb. And lucky for him, he has a dozen jobs lined up from the storm damage. So thankful he surprised me with an early return this year!

Last edited:
- 20 Traditional Wings
- 4 Tall Beers

$75

Agreed. It's rough enough at BWW. Chicken Nugget Wings at BWW is a bridge too far.

There’s a time and a place but I agree wings > nuggets

Users who are viewing this thread