What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive……also recycling and phone apps (1 Viewer)

home of the $18 aperol spritz
That is bananas
Seen these cocktail prices for over 15 years in multiple cities.
Thing is beer still hasnt budged much. Not nearly to the extent cocktails have.
Hmm. I routinely see pints at breweries for 10 bucks. Those same beers were like 5 or 6 bucks a few years back

Would say beer/wine has seen less increases, and going to 10+ is a soft cap where a $18 cocktail is getting to be normalized.

Maybe we need a metric where we have a IPA/Old Fashioned cost ratio.

Would say beer/wine has seen less increases, and going to 10+ is a soft cap where a $18 cocktail is getting to be normalized.
Some of the other Restaurant Guys can chime in, but some restaurant math I have used:

Rule of thumb for wine is that a single glass pays for a bottle. You pay $14 a bottle for your house wines, glass of wine should cost that--minimum. Obviously this changes depending on the price point of the restaurants, and here's a fact that might seem counter-intuitive, but the cheaper the glass of wine, the higher the markup you are paying. If you paying $13 for a glass in a really casual spot, they might be serving you a glass from a $9 bottle of wine.

Cheaper the items, the higher the markup.

Some of the other Restaurant Guys can chime in, but some restaurant math I have used:

Rule of thumb for wine is that a single glass pays for a bottle. You pay $14 a bottle for your house wines, glass of wine should cost that--minimum. Obviously this changes depending on the price point of the restaurants, and here's a fact that might seem counter-intuitive, but the cheaper the glass of wine, the higher the markup you are paying. If you paying $13 for a glass in a really casual spot, they might be serving you a glass from a $9 bottle of wine.

This is what I have always heard too. Except at really nice places you can get some for less than that ratio where they'll Coravin the thing, so you're paying for Coravin use (i.e. argon capsules) and closer to one glass is half or sometimes less than half the bottle.

Hitting a pretty decent place in my area tonight with my friend. They have a Wed night special:

-Choose one of 4 salads
-Choose one of: 16 oz ribeye, 16 oz NY strip, 8 oz filet
-Sides of mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus and carrots
-Choose one of 5 desserts

$35 a person feels like an absolute steal

For anyone in deep South Jersey: DiPaolos

That is bananas
Yeah, those are usually fancy cocktails, not an Aperol spritz. Cost for the restaurant must be like $2 for the ingredients and it doesn't take a pro mixologist to make one.
i get that prosecco is being used, but it is what, 3 oz of liquid and a glass of ice?

Just as an aside: Did Aperol spritzes exist 20 years ago?

I mean, yeah, I'm sure they existed - for sure in Europe. It's just that over the last five-ish years (ramping up a lot over the last two), I've been seeing A LOT of references to Aperol spritzes on e.g. reality TV and YouTube lifestyle videos that my wife follows.

Just as an aside: Did Aperol spritzes exist 20 years ago?

I mean, yeah, I'm sure they existed - for sure in Europe. It's just that over the last five-ish years (ramping up a lot over the last two), I've been seeing A LOT of references to Aperol spritzes on e.g. reality TV and YouTube lifestyle videos that my wife follows.
much more popular in the US over the past 5-10 yrs

Hitting a pretty decent place in my area tonight with my friend. They have a Wed night special:

-Choose one of 4 salads
-Choose one of: 16 oz ribeye, 16 oz NY strip, 8 oz filet
-Sides of mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus and carrots
-Choose one of 5 desserts

$35 a person feels like an absolute steal

For anyone in deep South Jersey: DiPaolos
Absolute steal for sure

much more popular in the US over the past 5-10 yrs
You'll appreciate this:

Coworkers and I used to joke about the guys at Aperol and Fernet sitting around the distillery 20 years ago and being all WTF is going on America? Why did our orders increase 800%?

We'd use really bad Italian accents and wave our arms around.

Maybe we need a metric where we have a IPA/Old Fashioned cost ratio.
:yes: we hit a local rum distillery last week. Their cocktails were good, but at $14-17 each we just got one. They provided a tour with samples for free, so that was nice. We gave a good tip.
Our go to places for beer cost like $6 for the local good brews.

Mostly correct. Except that cheap bottle in a really casual spot costs the restaurant $4. Maybe less

That is bananas
Yeah, those are usually fancy cocktails, not an Aperol spritz. Cost for the restaurant must be like $2 for the ingredients and it doesn't take a pro mixologist to make one.
😂. Sorry. The pro mixologist got me. 😂. We have a ridiculous cocktail list that is put together by the bar manager and one of his guys who is a true dork, I mean pro mixologist. He creates the drinks but doesn’t bartend much.

That is bananas
i get that prosecco is being used, but it is what, 3 oz of liquid and a glass of ice?
Maybe 6-8oz. And an orange scrap. Don’t forget the orange scrap

Did a road trip from MA to IL and back last week for the kid's school vacation. Ate dinner in Cleveland. Did takeout since one kid was melting down. $46 or so for a strip steak w/ 2 sides, a entrée salad with chicken on it, a quesadilla, and kid's chicken fingers/fries. I feel like a paid way to little for that meal! Didn't expect it to be so cheap.

My in-laws went to Cleveland not long ago to visit the RnR HOF and were blown away by how inexpensive the city was to dine out and enjoy drinks. Sounds terrific!

ETA: for perspective, they live outside of Detroit.
**AHEM**
3 old fashioneds
1 beer
1 gin cocktail
2 seltzers
3 kids drinks
2 apps
5 entrees
Free games for the kids (pool, cornhole, jumbo jenga)

$150 plus a few bucks in the jukebox

We need to go to this joint more often...
Y'all should visit here more often.

That is bananas
Maybe 6-8oz. And an orange scrap. Don’t forget the orange scrap
that scrap is key

True. Less sticker shock on selling a pint of Miller Lite for $3:50 from $3 vs a call Old Fashioned at $15

They just declared bankruptcy last because of the all-you-can-eat shrimp deal ostensibly. I'm guessing it's more to your point, the chain needs a face lift. Haven't been in one in years but the one I drive by frequently looks a bit rundown and the exact same as it 17 years ago when we moved here.
The one we went to looked exactly like it did in the 90s when my dad dragged us there then too. Had to be the same carpet.

Bankruptcy because of all you can eat shrimp is a Simpsons episode.

They just declared bankruptcy last because of the all-you-can-eat shrimp deal ostensibly. I'm guessing it's more to your point, the chain needs a face lift. Haven't been in one in years but the one I drive by frequently looks a bit rundown and the exact same as it 17 years ago when we moved here.
The one we went to looked exactly like it did in the 90s when my dad dragged us there then too. Had to be the same carpet.

Bankruptcy because of all you can eat shrimp is a Simpsons episode.
Back in the late 90’s me and a buddy must have put Red Lobster on the path to bankruptcy with their all you can eat crab legs. It was “Crabby Tuesdays” or something like that.

Those nights put me on the path to clogged arteries with all that drawn butter!

Got takeout from local taco place. Sat at the bar, had two beers while I ordered and waited. Got 1 giant *** burrito, 6 tacos, side of rice and beans and guac. 61 bucks plus a 5 dollar tip. Fed all four of us wonderfully.

@Scoresman we all shared that 1 burrito
Crazy to me that this is considered a value now.
:confused:

I fed a hungry family of 4 and got two beers for what amounted to like 16 bucks a person. That would have been a value 15 years ago

Got takeout from local taco place. Sat at the bar, had two beers while I ordered and waited. Got 1 giant *** burrito, 6 tacos, side of rice and beans and guac. 61 bucks plus a 5 dollar tip. Fed all four of us wonderfully.

Whoever got the two middle pieces most likely ended up with a sloppy mess. :rant:
they may have just passed the gargantuan burrito around the table (in a paper bag)

I fed a hungry family of 4 and got two beers for what amounted to like 16 bucks a person. That would have been a value 15 years ago

What kind of beers?

Whoever got the two middle pieces most likely ended up with a sloppy mess. :rant:
they may have just passed the gargantuan burrito around the table (in a paper bag)
... everyone tearing a little more foil off with every pass off

Did you pass the burrito around or cut it up into 4 pieces :gasp: asking for a friend… @Scoresman

Eta: I see this has been covered :kicksrock:

Passing the burrito around doesn't work either because not all bites are the same. Some bites will be all beans and be lame, while other bites will have a perfect mix of meat beans, cheese, etc. Unless you're at a top notch taqueria somewhere in California where this doesn't really happen.

Passing the burrito around doesn't work either because not all bites are the same. Some bites will be all beans and be lame, while other bites will have a perfect mix of meat beans, cheese, etc. Unless you're at a top notch taqueria somewhere in California where this doesn't really happen.
It works fine. Take a couple bites and pass it down the line. Everyone gets some guac bites, some all rice bites, etc. It all works out

What kind of beers?
Double IPA's from a local brewery called Blackstack

It works fine. Take a couple bites and pass it down the line. Everyone gets some guac bites, some all rice bites, etc. It all works out

And dont forget every bite has three other people's saliva! Yum! I'll just have an extra taco for myself please.

reaction.

That is bananas
Bananas are $10
Bananas and how damn cheap they are is bonkers. It's like 19 cents for a banana at Trader Joes. 19 cents!
I was just talking about this with my daughter. It's crazy they can harvest, transport, distribute these things that have such a short shelf life and still make money at these prices.
It's a fascinating story. Heard a podcast about the rise of Chiquita banana company and how the guy bought up all the railroads that surrounded the banana trees and was able to get those bananas back to the US and sell them cheaper than apples which were grown locally. Can't find the link to the podcast, but it was great. May have also touched on how the bananas we eat today are very different than the ones our grandparents ate. And these cavendish bananas are likely going to go extinct at some point and we will have a new variety. Apparently all these bananas are just clones of themselves so very susceptible to diseases

.... and they quac and sour cream may not be even as well.

burrito surgery it is then

IRL- the taqueria i grew up on has a great hot sauce. we would get the burritos and that hot sauce would naturally collect on the bottom.

Managed to eat out twice yesterday, lunch and dinner.

Lunch - Taco Molina
Local Mexican joint that isn't bad and has gluten free taco's for the family. 4 of us, no drinks, queso appetizer, four entrees, bill came to about $45, with tip, $56 out the door. Solid deal

Dinner - Brixx Pizza
Local pizza with gluten free options. 4 of us, no drinks, bill was $68, with tip, $80 total. Had four pizzas that more than filled all of us up.

Good with both, not so much on the same day but circumstances dictated.

Users who are viewing this thread