What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reid is fired as Eagles head coach (1 Viewer)

Amused to Death

Footballguy
Andy Reid, who led the Eagles through one of the most successful periods in franchise history and was once called “Coach for Life” by owner Jeff Lurie, has been fired after 14 years as head coach of the Eagles.

Lurie, according to two sources, has told Reid, who has one year remaining on his contract, would not return in 2013, ending months of speculation about his future.

Reid’s tenure with the Eagles ended almost 14 years to the day after Lurie hired an unknown quarterbacks coach from the Packers to replace Ray Rhodes after a 3-13 season in 1998.

With 14 years of service, Reid was the reigning dean of NFL coaches and fourth in service among head coaches in all four major leagues, behind Gregg Popovich of the Spurs (17 years), Lindy Ruff of the Sabres (15 seasons) and Barry Trotz of the Predators (14 seasons).

Reid, 54, is a three-time NFL Coach of the Year, winning the honor after the 2000, 2002 and 2010 seasons.

My link

Last edited by a moderator:
Where will he end up? I would imagine a few teams will be happy to take him.
I say he takes a year off or goes to SD
That's the conventional wisdom, but I've read some chatter that SD wants to go in a different direction. Apparently as much as the national media loves to heap praise on him (mostly deserved), his handling of the coaching staff and personnel decisions over the last couple years are a concern to some teams.ETA: I believe that comes from Sal Pal

That's the conventional wisdom, but I've read some chatter that SD wants to go in a different direction. Apparently as much as the national media loves to heap praise on him (mostly deserved), his handling of the coaching staff and personnel decisions over the last couple years are a concern to some teams.ETA: I believe that comes from Sal Pal
I can't remember where I heard it but I thought someone reported that Andy already has a staff in place.

If he's smart, he'll take a year off.That said, I think he'll be with San Diego next year.
Yup, SD does not look like a good situation to me at all with a declining Rivers and Gates, a fragile Mathews and a mediocre o-line. I'd rather hold out for a better job since he's probably going to be on the top of multiple HC vacancies.

I can't remember where I heard it but I thought someone reported that Andy already has a staff in place.
I've read that as well. The stuff from Sal I read on another board, but was credited to him. Who knows what's real at this point. But the news from Frank regarding the firing is being treated as fact on CSN Philly (which I'm sure all Eagles fans have seen if you're watching the post-game).

This couldn't wait until Black Monday tomorrow? Why not just whack him during the 1st quarter.
It was pretty much a foregone conclusion, there was 0% chance he was returning. And for all we know, the guy reporting this just wanted to be the first one to "break" the story. :lol:

Reid was a very solid HC and probably should have won at least one Super Bowl given the time the Eagles were in the Championship game.

The NFL was a cruel mistress to Reids family though. I would think that Reid would take a year off and do some broadcasttin and try to rebulod his family unit..although it is probably much too late for that.

I wish he would shave that moustache though...it has to have years of food debris stuck in it.

This couldn't wait until Black Monday tomorrow? Why not just whack him during the 1st quarter.
It was pretty much a foregone conclusion, there was 0% chance he was returning. And for all we know, the guy reporting this just wanted to be the first one to "break" the story. :lol:
Yeah the "shock" factor on this is pretty low, but I also heard Eskin allude to a meeting that supposedly already took place between Reid and Lurie. Reid brushed it off during his post-game PC.

Pat Kirwan (who is evidently pretty close with Reid) said on Sirius that Andy's not the type of guy who will want to take a year off.

I wonder how much the death of his son affected Andy's ability to focus and coach this year. Even if it didn't affect Andy at all professionally (which I find hard to believe it wouldn't), it's sad to see Andy cap-off what was obviously a very trying year for him in this manner. But business is business. Best wishes to him in the future.

Yeah the "shock" factor on this is pretty low, but I also heard Eskin allude to a meeting that supposedly already took place between Reid and Lurie. Reid brushed it off during his post-game PC.
And if that meeting occurred I commend Lurie for telling him at that time that he was done. It's the decent thing to do.

And if that meeting occurred I commend Lurie for telling him at that time that he was done. It's the decent thing to do.
Reid keeps saying he and Lurie haven't discussed the future, but I find it hard to believe. Especially in the midst of an 8-game losing streak. They are close - I'm sure its been addressed to some degree.

If I were KC, I'd grab him. Their current coaching staff is pathetic, but they have a good RB and a #1 pick coming up.

Reid will get to pick which team he is coaching next.
No
Um, yeah.
He's a good coach. Better than a lot of NFL coaches. But there are several who are currently better and handful that have their teams playing a high level who's jobs are secure (even if Reid was available).He's above average. He'll coach in '13 if he wants to, and reports are that he wants to. Will he demand (and get) total control? Will he get the 6 to 7 mil per year he's rumored to want? Who knows.

Is it true Andy Reid actually hugged the owner when he received the news and then Tebowed after cleaning out his office?

NFL.com now has a report:

Andy Reid out as Philadelphia Eagles coach

The Philadelphia Eagles didn't waste any time delaying the inevitable.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that coach Andy Reid was informed during a Friday meeting with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie that he'd be fired after the season finale against the New York Giants, according to two sources. The Eagles are expected to formally announce Reid's firing Monday.

NFL head coach tracker

The Andy Reid era is over in Philadelphia. Which other coaches could lose their jobs in the days ahead? More ...

The Eagles strongly denied the report, saying Lurie and Reid will meet Monday. During the Eagles' postgame news conference, Reid denied talking to Lurie about his job status.

"Whatever he chooses will be the right thing," Reid said in regard to Lurie's decision. "He’s always done things for the best interest of the Eagles and I completely understand either way."

No matter when the news becomes official, the Reid era has ended in ignominious fashion. The Eagles finished a 4-12 season with a 42-7 loss to the New York Giants.

Reid was the longest-tenured coach in the NFL at 14 seasons, going 130-92-1 during the regular season. He led the Eagles to nine playoff appearances, including five NFC title games and one Super Bowl appearance.

The quick decision comes as no surprise. The Eagles are expected to aggressively go after some of the big names available in the coaching market. Oregon coach Chip Kelly and Penn State coach Bill O'Brien have been tied to Philadelphia in various reports.

Reid, meanwhile, doesn't figure to be out of work for long. Multiple reports have suggested Reid is interested in the San Diego Chargers job, but NFL.com's Albert Breer reported that interest doesn't appear to be mutual. Reid will want a lot of personnel control, and that wouldn't be the situation in San Diego.

The SD report of them not being interested is interesting to me...aren't they supposed to fire their GM soon? If so, who knows if there's interest of not??

Reid really needs to step away from the game for a year or two. He's had too much go on in his personal life. His head can't possibly be 100% focused on football. He should take a long vacation and relax a while.

4 years too late one of the worst in game managers in football
True, but you have to admit that over time he became equally bad at personnel and coaching decisions.Six amazing seasons, followed by 6 good seasons, followed by a bad season, followed by a horrendous season. Definitely time to reverse the trend.

Best coach in Eagles history but its time. Guy needs to get some family time in after what he's been through. Should be interesting offseason.

He should retire, he's been terrible in the last 2/3 years.
Not to say he didn't accomplish a lot but the last couple of yrs have been bad. He assembled "the dream team" and it blew up in his face, pretty much is undoing. Plus This team quit on him in oct.

If there was ever a guy that should take a year off it's Andy Reid. Sad to hear he wants to jump right back in, I really would not hire him as a GM or owner until he took a long vacation. That guy needs a little time away from the game.

Great coach. Great guy.

As a Cowboys fan...glad to see him go.

Would love to see him out in San Diego with Rivers. Rivers needs a change.

It's odd that, at this moment, Norv Turner is coaching in the NFL and Andy Reid is not.
That'll change very soon, the difference being that Reid will get another HC job and Turner will be an OC somewhere. I don't get the love for Reid. He was a great coach for awhile, but he's been downhill for several years, including just plain not learning from mistakes or making adjustments. I can't see how he even went through this season. Count me in with the guys that say he needs time off. Does he get paid for next year by the Eagles if he doesn't get a new job? A sabbatical is in order and if I were an owner, that'd be a factor in hiring him now. Seems like he's a foot and a half over the line of burnt out.

It was time to move on but the way he has been treated the last couple years is horrible, it is probably worse than Mcnabb was treated near the end. Eagles fans will get some medicine the next few years finishing last in the NFC east for the next 3 or 4 years. By that time Reid will have moved on and probably have a team in the playoffs by then.

Users who are viewing this thread