What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

I started the TCM Podcast: Devil's Candy about the making of The Bonfire of the Vanities. It's really great as their was a reporter embedded with DePalma through the entire process of the movie and she has all these interviews from the making of the movie. It's really fascinating to hear how a total bomb of a movie made really talented people came together. 

I also watched the film last night. I don't think I had seen it before. It was as bad as expected but I'll say it was never boring. It's packed full of bad performances, terrible caricatures and over the top film making that keeps one totally engaged in the disaster. 

I started the TCM Podcast: Devil's Candy about the making of The Bonfire of the Vanities. It's really great as their was a reporter embedded with DePalma through the entire process of the movie and she has all these interviews from the making of the movie. It's really fascinating to hear how a total bomb of a movie made really talented people came together. 

I also watched the film last night. I don't think I had seen it before. It was as bad as expected but I'll say it was never boring. It's packed full of bad performances, terrible caricatures and over the top film making that keeps one totally engaged in the disaster. 
@Ilov80s stumbled across another pod that you might like - Script Apart.   Interview with a screenwriter about the script, changes, etc. 

Re-watched an all-time classic.  One of the best movies ever.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Caught the DVD 'extras' and a bit of trivia about the movie that I had never heard before.

Did Ann Sheridan appear in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

I've always had a thing for Sheridan as she was the original Oomph Girl.  I guess she agreed to do the 'un-credited' cameo to give the production good luck.  Makes me like her even more.

Treasure of the Seirra Madre was the first movie Bogart made by choice and it was a comeback of sorts for director John Houston who won best screenplay and for best director.  His father Walter Houston won best supporting actor and it is the only time in film history that a father and son won for the same movie.  

Walter Houston would die a year after his big win.  

The irony is that Bogart got his big break from being type-cast as heavies with John Houston's first directing job with The Maltese Falcon.  Huge success and Bogie began to get lead parts after that but was under a studio contract and wasn't free to choose his own parts so what does he choose once he gained freedom?  The role of a villain.  

The movie was not a commercial success when it first came out but cinema fans found it over time.  

Great movie.

This sounds interesting.  At the time it came out, the book was one of my favorites ever, but I never saw the movie due to anticipated anger at it.

This sounds interesting.  At the time it came out, the book was one of my favorites ever, but I never saw the movie due to anticipated anger at it.
The movie is on HBOMax until the end of August. It's interesting to watch and if you loved the book, you will probably find it interesting (though a terrible adaptation of the book). The podcast is fantastic, lots of great insights from DePalma, Hanks, Willis, Griffith, Freeman, producers, etc. and it's all taken real time, not after the fact. So while the podcast certainly frames it as the story of a box office bomb, the interviews themselves are from the POV of people thinking they are making one of the most important movies of the time. 

Snake Eyes G.I. Joe Origins

This one wasn’t total garbage like the other two. 3/5

Last edited by a moderator:
Werewolves Within

Just my oldest son and myself were at home last night so he suggested this movie for rent. I didn’t realize that it is based on a video game until he said something half way through. It is a horror comedy with some over the top characters, and was a fun watch. Plus AT&T Lilly is in it. 

Vacation Friends - I'm sure people will hate it. I liked it. I laughed quite a bit. John Cena is a funny dude. And there are so damn few adult comedies anymore. Its just really nice when one comes along. Its not as good as Old School or Wedding Crashers. But its good.

Tombstone is a fun movie. It's basically Lethal Weapon with spurs. It's kind of a mess, though, from an editing & pacing standpoint. 

Unforgiven is a stone classic.

Silverado, along with El Dorado, is my favorite western of all time (I must have a thing for "ado"s). 

Rewatched Unforgiven yesterday.

Tombstone is the better Western.

:ducks:

My vote goes to Silverado. This is a hill that I am willing to die on.

to these - nothing particularly wrong w Unforgiven, i just see absonuttin classic about it. gotta give Tombstone credit for how well short snippets of it work when im channelsurfing but, every time i watch it whole, i'm disappointed in the general hokiness. Silverado is a fine, thoroughly entertaining western but it's pure Boomer glib. Sincerity, hardwon self-belief, is at the heart of the western, which is why people are drawn to Searchers and such that really dont hold water rated outside their genre.

to these - nothing particularly wrong w Unforgiven, i just see absonuttin classic about it. gotta give Tombstone credit for how well short snippets of it work when im channelsurfing but, every time i watch it whole, i'm disappointed in the general hokiness. Silverado is a fine, thoroughly entertaining western but it's pure Boomer glib. Sincerity, hardwon self-belief, is at the heart of the western, which is why people are drawn to Searchers and such that really dont hold water rated outside their genre.
That's truth. I recall one review I read about Silverado was titled "The Big Chill Goes West".

We'll disagree on Unforgiven, though I can see how my opinion is colored by the fact that Eastwood made it and not someone else.

I should have included Lonesome Dove above. Best combo of novel/book ever. In fact, I'm due for a rewatch.

That's truth. I recall one review I read about Silverado was titled "The Big Chill Goes West".

We'll disagree on Unforgiven, though I can see how my opinion is colored by the fact that Eastwood made it and not someone else.

I should have included Lonesome Dove above. Best combo of novel/book ever. In fact, I'm due for a rewatch.
me2

Weird that the talk is about westerns. Just finishing up - 

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - It is good. Its almost more of a psychological thriller than a western, I guess. But its really well done. And its fun to watch Bogey ... well I want spoil it for those who haven't seen it. #stinkin'badges

it's a Huston.

from Maltese Falcon to Wise Blood, his flix are about how we quest. In Sierra Madre, African Queen, Moby ****, The Misfits and my favorite, The Man Who Would Be King, the triumphs are transitory, often illusory, and the defeats are usually certain and cruel but no other art of which i'm aware shows how elemental & eternal are our pursuits.

Shout out to a couple Westerns that aren't the typical gunfighter, cowboys and sheriffs:

- The Lusty Men: Robert Mitchum is a retired rodeo champion who mentors a novice against the wishes of his wife

- Hud: Paul Newman is a drunken womanizing man at odds with his family over how to run their ranch

- First Cow: a loner cook and a Chinese immigrant form an unlikely friendship and business partnership on the Oregon territory frontier 

Shout out to a couple Westerns that aren't the typical gunfighter, cowboys and sheriffs:

- The Lusty Men: Robert Mitchum is a retired rodeo champion who mentors a novice against the wishes of his wife

- Hud: Paul Newman is a drunken womanizing man at odds with his family over how to run their ranch

- First Cow: a loner cook and a Chinese immigrant form an unlikely friendship and business partnership on the Oregon territory frontier 
Love Hud and Newman!

took the family to see Free Guy in the theater. a lot of light fun- recommend as an easy light hearted joy ride. Truman Show meets wreck it Ralph meets Ready Player One without trying too hard to be much of anything. well cast (Taika Waititi fantastic as the villain), tons of popculture references (including a Greek chorus of actual YouTubers thaty kids recognized)....good fun.

wikkidpissah said:
it's a Huston.

from Maltese Falcon to Wise Blood, his flix are about how we quest. In Sierra Madre, African Queen, Moby ****, The Misfits and my favorite, The Man Who Would Be King, the triumphs are transitory, often illusory, and the defeats are usually certain and cruel but no other art of which i'm aware shows how elemental & eternal are our pursuits.
Great childhood memory was the only time I was allowed up late to watch a movie called the African Queen.  I loved it well before realizing just how good it was.  Robert Morely's role overlooked but he was incredible.

Hemmingway had nothing on Houston.  Hemmingway rode an ambulance in the Spanish civil war and before Hollywood Houston rode two years with the Mexican cavalry and faced combat with the troops on the documentary that the War department censored and wouldn't allow to be shown The Battle of San Pietro

I stumbled upon The Red Badge of Courage and its such a different movie, like nothing I've ever seen.  Same with Moby **** or Chinatown.  

Unique adventure seeking individual who stood out = made unique films that stood out

Ilov80s said:

Hud is McMurtry - the Lonesome Dove guy - his first novel, Horsemen, Pass By. twas part of a trilogy that ended w Last Picture Show. as existential as Sartre, as pageturny as King, all amidst the dadblasted worthless nuttin they stuck in. wikkid say check em

Great childhood memory was the only time I was allowed up late to watch a movie called the African Queen.  I loved it well before realizing just how good it was.  Robert Morely's role overlooked but he was incredible.

Hemmingway had nothing on Houston.  Hemmingway rode an ambulance in the Spanish civil war and before Hollywood Houston rode two years with the Mexican cavalry and faced combat with the troops on the documentary that the War department censored and wouldn't allow to be shown The Battle of San Pietro

I stumbled upon The Red Badge of Courage and its such a different movie, like nothing I've ever seen.  Same with Moby **** or Chinatown.  

Unique adventure seeking individual who stood out = made unique films that stood out

he did another flick on shellshock that the Pentagon declassified only a few yrs ago.

Huston had the most enviable nonheroic life of which i'm aware. his autobiography. An Open Book, is the most entertaining showbiz book i know of

Hud is McMurtry - the Lonesome Dove guy - his first novel, Horsemen, Passy By. twas part of a trilogy that ended w Last Picture Show. as existential as Sartre, as pageturny as King, all amidst the dadblasted worthless nuttin they stuck in. wikkid say check em
I haven't read the book but from what I've heard it was a wise adaptation. Instead of trying to do the entire book and focus on the good son, they focused in on Newman as the antihero. Some of the finest acting and cinematography of the 60s. 

Users who are viewing this thread